Survivor Support Upgrade Ruining the Game

I love Halo. I’ve loved Halo since the very first day I’ve played it and I’ve loved every single release to follow. I hate vehicles though. It’s a burning hatred that I’ve never quite been able to explain. I refuse to use them to kill. I refuse to be a passenger in one. And every time I spot one on the field, I throw all of my efforts into bringing it down. I’ve carved myself into a vehicle killer. Sticking grenades to wheels as they pass by. Beating the cockpit to pieces in a tank. Peeling a Banshee out of the air with a Spartan Laser. It’s my entire play style, and it’s my favorite reason to play the game.

The Survivor support upgrade has completely ruined this for me. Killing vehicles isn’t an easy task. It can be grueling if you don’t have the proper guns. And after all that effort, you’re rewarded with the pilot popping up into the air completely unharmed. I just fought a vehicle three times my size on foot by myself. Nine times out of ten, my shields are already drained, and the driver picks me off with ease. Why in the hell is there a perk that essentially allows the player to have two lives? This has broken large map variants (especially heavies) in a way that’s downright unbearable. I’ve had games with thirteen vehicle kills, with none of them counting as actual kills. It’s playing havoc with my k/d and my overall mental health.

It’s never been used more than in the Heavies playlist sadly… Laser a Banshee, perfect shot… And boom! The guy just runs away chuckling (Or worse yet, snipes you since he had power weapons at the same time)

Sure, you get the vehicle kill still, and yeah sometimes you still kill the guy… But man is it annoying!

Maybe it’s to help counter the fact that everyone is running around with plasmas, same as the wheelman perk.

> Maybe it’s to help counter the fact that everyone is running around with plasmas, same as the wheelman perk.

They should not have tried fixing it with Survivor IMO.

I definitely see the plight of the vehicle user. I myself am always carrying my trusty plasma pistol and stickies. They’re all over the place now. And vehicles aren’t as solid as they used to be. Still, I felt the wheelman perk was a perfect balance for this. EMPing a vehicle with a wheelman driver gets me killed more often than I’d like to admit. They come back to life so quickly that it almost always takes me off guard. At the same time, I have to stick a Warthog twice before it goes up in flames, a Ghost with wheelman can survive more than two grenades, and Banshees can survive direct hits from a Spartan Laser. I feel that this is more than enough to make up for the fact that more of the vulnerable and squishy unarmored Spartans are carrying plasmas than usual.

The fact is that Survivor makes a vehicle user essentially invincible until their vehicle is destroyed. his isn’t fair. There shouldn’t be anything in Halo that makes you invincible. We learned our lesson with Armor Lock, and those guys weren’t in giant mobile armored death machines. Yes, they can still be killed in some ways. You can stick a Warthog driver, snipe a Ghost operator, or get in very close and plant a grenade on any of the tanks. But these are all difficult to pull off, and there is no way to kill a Banshee pilot without first destroying it. Even a Spartan Laser shot directly through the cockpit is completely ignored. There isn’t any balance here.

As it currently stands, I’m stuck fighting with all my might, with the only result being that the pristine operator hops out and back into another vehicle to blast me to kingdom come. It’s a removal of skill-based victories.

well I must be unlucky then, because usually when I get ejected from a vehicle my shields are down. Bear in mind also how easy it is to hijack a vehicle. Plus in the mantis it is easy for a camo user to jump aboard and plant a sticky on you.
You said yourself that you don’t use vehicles, maybe you should try it. There are more then enough ways to destroy vehicles, what with splasers, stickies, etc.
You sound like you would like vehicles banned from h4.

All I can say is I hope Survivor doesn’t make its way into the next Halo game. It’s not working in Halo 4, I doubt it’ll be any better received in the next Halo either.

I would not mind it if this perk only worked to counter sticks (and it does that in a way that 50 50 chance the sticks will still get ya) but anything else should score you a kill. I.E team shot, power weps, pummels, frags and just everything else except sticks.

Although I disagree with this perk system.

I still feel if they were gonna do it like this…I feel it should have been handled differently as a perk.

> I would not mind it if this perk only worked to counter sticks (and it does that in a way that 50 50 chance the sticks will still get ya) but anything else should score you a kill. I.E team shot, power weps, pummels, frags and just everything else except sticks.

100% agree, that seems like a great way to implement the survivor perk in the game, but if 343 were to do this, I think there’d be so many people complaining that it’s too inconsistent, either you don’t get ejected enough or whenever they try to stick a vehicle the enemy always gets ejected. I’d be definitely for this feature in a TU though.

> 100% agree, that seems like a great way to implement the survivor perk in the game, but if 343 were to do this, I think there’d be so many people complaining that it’s too inconsistent, either you don’t get ejected enough or whenever they try to stick a vehicle the enemy always gets ejected. I’d be definitely for this feature in a TU though.

Then make it nullify sticks 100% because I don’t know about all of you but my only complaint with halo 4 vehicular combat is the PGs (I can deal with the PP as long as PGs are not a constant thing buuuut that is not possible to have atm)

I just feel it is stupid when my team shoots up the mantis to make his shields go bye bye so I can get at him with my laser and he just shoots out screaming “HA look at what I can do” and proceeds to fall down behind the hill. ( I can get them most of the time when they shoot out but still…its a laser…I don’t care there is no justification for it not scoring me a kill as it is a power wep and I used it correctly)

I would also like to add since this could be used alongside wheelman I see no reason for my proposed nerf to not ever happen if they go about tweaking it.

DE-RAIL GUASS HOG HXONE NO GUNNER FACE GUARD.

I remember in one of my first games on Heavies, I splasered a guy out of his beloved Mantis and he was probably chuckling “Haha look what I can do!” as well… Until he got sniped while still in mid-air by someone back at base. Gravity hadn’t even started pulling him back down to the ground and he had a sniper round through his visor. I can only assume the sniper was gonna take some shots at the Mantis before it got splasered into scrap metal and then he saw a defenseless spartan flying into the air.

That being said, I’m still not supportive of the Survivor perk at all. Maybe if it were restrained only to Spartan Ops, but I don’t like its presence in Matchmaking.

Also I fully agree with the lighter defense on future guass hogs.

I don’t know what your complaining about OP every time I see the driver pop out my entire team kills him anyways, so I don’t see a problem with it. I use it with wheelman and even if I pop out I don’t have shields half the time.

I’m sorry, did you just say it’s not an easy task to take down vehicles?
When you spawn with plasma pistols, and all powerful stickies…

And besides, usually the vehicle goes up in such a blaze of glory that person dies anyways. Half the time it just launches my dead body into the air.
And if I do survive? I’m dead by the time I hit the ground.
This isn’t a topic I find worth complaining about. I had a lot of fun playing Halo 4 heavies yesterday.

The trick to thwarting the survivor perk is to deal the damage to the vehicle within the vicinity of the occupant. For example, a laser through the center of a banshee will kill the pilot as well as the vehicle. pop a sticky close to the driver’s seat in a warthog, and the driver should receive significant damage, if not killed.

It’s major drawback to the driver or occupant is that they get launched straight into the air. Jetpack just makes them go higher, and the thruster pack only makes a huge difference if they are in confined spaces. While the driver may escape, as I myself have, it’s uncommon for them to be able to continue as long as you pursue them diligently.

> The trick to thwarting the survivor perk is to deal the damage to the vehicle within the vicinity of the occupant. For example, <mark>a laser through the center of a banshee will kill the pilot</mark> as well as the vehicle. pop a sticky close to the driver’s seat in a warthog, and the driver should receive significant damage, if not killed.
>
> It’s major drawback to the driver or occupant is that they get launched straight into the air. Jetpack just makes them go higher, and the thruster pack only makes a huge difference if they are in confined spaces. While the driver may escape, as I myself have, it’s uncommon for them to be able to continue as long as you pursue them diligently.

Whilst I agree I must point out, if the laser scored you a kill no matter what I would stop hating this perk but I am sorry…back in halo:R I would still get the armor-locking guys most of the time BUT it was an armor ability that could counter power weps. (and honestly that was my only issue with it, grenades in that game were ridiculous so it was a unfortunately a needed AA in reach and in reach alone)

I just feel survivor along with jetpack are lame as they nullify power weps to an extent even if I use them right. (some would argue " UHH DURR HADR LIGHT SHEIDL BLCOKS ROCKEZTSS DUUHUUR" I say well I could just shoot the ground anywhere near you.)

Yeah I have to say that Survivor is the dumbest perk ever. Even the spawnable weapons and AAs we currently have available at least have a way to skillfully counter them somewhat, despite the unbalance they bring.

But Survivor is just completely unfair. I’ve gotten undeserved Perfections and my first Unfriggenbelievable thanks to Survivor keeping me alive when I should have been dead. Recently I was piloting a Banshee and due to my horrible piloting my Banshee was destroyed by a sniper, but thanks to Survivor I lived and killed that same sniper with my DMR as I was falling right before the Mantis behind me finished me off. That sniper did not deserve to be killed, he successfully destroyed my banshee, but instead of getting the kill he earned he got a death and an assist. The WRONG player unfairly won that fight.

This is what is wrong with Survivor, I’m tired of successfully destroying vehicles only to have my teammates finish the Survivor off and sometimes dying as a result.

The Unfriggenbelievable and Why Survivor is the dumbest perk films are in my file share by the way.

-SMARTAN 427

I’ll Give you a scenario. We are playing ragnarok heavies I get into a banshee with the survivor perk on. You get the spartan laser. You laser me out of the sky and I lose my sheilds instantly but I do not die. Sure you or your teammates may be able to finish me off but suppose I have a sniper rifle I just may take you out and perhaps another teammate. once I hit the ground I can regain my shields then get another 3 kills before you kill me unless I get into another vehicle.

Just so you guys know I do not use this perk I hate it. Can anyone logically explain to me how that is fair? if I get lasered in a banshee I should be dead period.

Oh yeah this perk is not that fair. If an enemy vehicle such as a scorpion is going on a killing spree and I use a spartan laser to end it, the driver should rightfully die. I remember one game I had recently where I was in a mantis fighting an enemy wraith, and he ended up blowing up my vehicle. However I had survivor on, and I was ejected into the sky where I fell right in front of him, boarded his vehicle, and shoved a frag into his cockpit, killing him. Now when this happened I laughed like crazy knowing outright that I should have been dead since my vehicle blew up and yet I was able to kill him immediately after. But after a few seconds I thought about how unfair this was seeing as he blew me up first, and yet he ended up dying. There have also been vehicles I have blown up while being on foot, and the enemy pilot was ejected, went flying into the air while wielding a rocket launcher he had picked up prior, and blown me to smithereens. All in all, this perk does not work within the multiplayer of halo.

Wait, wait, there’s such a thing as not having the right guns to kill a vehicle in Halo 4?

What weapons do you spawn with in BTB, the Suppressor, Boltshot, and Pulse nade?

I don’t have any trouble with the survivor perk. Just pop a quick DMR shot into his head when he pops out, not like he has any shields.

“I don’t have any trouble with the survivor perk. Just pop a quick DMR shot into his head when he pops out, not like he has any shields.”

Sorry Fos Kuvol but that isn’t always true. In fact for the most part, most people who have survivor on and are ejected out of a vehicle usually have at least half shields, which means quickly killing them with the DMR won’t always occur. I agree with you that sometimes killing them as soon as they go flying into the air is possible, however most people are not able to do this, even if they are experienced halo players. Do you know how many times either myself or enemies have been ejected only to run to safety. Also your plan doesn’t work well if the enemy is ejected with 50% shields and are on the other side of the map. if this is the case, then you will almost never fully kill your target. Also most people aren’t expecting a vehicle they had just destroyed to send the occupant flying into the sky alive, and if you are close to the destroyed vehicle, then you basically have to look completely vertical just to even see the enemy. If this enemy is shooting at you whilst being in the air and are good with precision weapons, they will simply headshot you on the way down since they have the high ground( or high air lol). And it is very difficult to headshot an enemy who is in the air if they are directly above you as their head is not very visible.