Survivor Bias in the Halo Series

With the latest flight concluded I was a bit surprised how much negative feedback there was around the radars range. In most Halo games it’s usually 25m, but starting with H5 it was reduced to 18m to make players less dependent on it. If you played H5 for some time you’d probably be comfortable with Infinite’s radar size unless you didn’t. It dawned on me that a lot of these players probably quit H5 or never got the chance to play (poor PC players) and didn’t get acclimated or outright rejected the changes H5 introduced.

With each installment the players who were playing the last entry to the bitter end provide the most feedback for the next entry. Halo 5 fans became the survivors who provided the most feedback at the time. I believe btb’s radar range was upped to 25m, but the arena format remains 18m in H5. Those who didn’t appreciate the radar change probably didn’t submit feedback and stopped playing the game all together. This same bias is probably why each previous entry is appreciated more after the release of the next installment. The haters left, and the fans stayed. In 2007 H3 sucked and H2 ruled, in 2010 Halo Reach sucked and H3 ruled and so on.

Im sure 343 tried to take into account survivor bias when reviewing feedback from H5, and their in-game telemetrics probably give them a good idea of what players like and don’t, but I just thought this was an interesting observation. Anyone else notice similar phenomena with the latest Infinite feedback?

It should always be expected that the feedback recieved will be biased in some form or another. I myself is equally affected to be biased with my feedback as anyone else.

When it comes to myself, I’m usually more interested to express my opinion about a specific subject when I disagree or when I’m disappointed and I would guess that a similar that a similar trend may be seen for many other users. However, it should be noted that I haven’t conducted a detailed study in this area and my observations may not reflect reality due to various reasons.

> 2717573882290912;1:
> With the latest flight concluded I was a bit surprised how much negative feedback there was around the radars range. In most Halo games it’s usually 25m, but starting with H5 it was reduced to 18m to make players less dependent on it. If you played H5 for some time you’d probably be comfortable with Infinite’s radar size unless you didn’t. It dawned on me that a lot of these players probably quit H5 or never got the chance to play (poor PC players) and didn’t get acclimated or outright rejected the changes H5 introduced.
>
> With each installment the players who were playing the last entry to the bitter end provide the most feedback for the next entry. Halo 5 fans became the survivors who provided the most feedback at the time. I believe btb’s radar range was upped to 25m, but the arena format remains 18m in H5. Those who didn’t appreciate the radar change probably didn’t submit feedback and stopped playing the game all together. This same bias is probably why each previous entry is appreciated more after the release of the next installment. The haters left, and the fans stayed. In 2007 H3 sucked and H3 ruled, in 2010 Halo Reach sucked and H2 ruled and so on.
>
> Im sure 343 tried to take into account survivor bias when reviewing feedback from H5, and their in-game telemetrics probably give them a good idea of what players like and don’t, but I just thought this was an interesting observation. Anyone else notice similar phenomena with the latest Infinite feedback?

I never played Halo 5 that much and I don’t really have a say because Infinite was so crushingly infuriating to play on PVP that I just stuck to MCC. I will say the range felt really odd coming from the original trilogy and 4. Fun game, just too sweaty. Gone are the days of casual multiplayer. Hopefully I’ll have a big campaign to explore!

I feel like 18m is perfect because it forces more close range, sporadic encounters.

Allows more freedom of movement and encourages the Sidekick and AR battles in BTB.

> 2717573882290912;1:
> With the latest flight concluded I was a bit surprised how much negative feedback there was around the radars range. In most Halo games it’s usually 25m, but starting with H5 it was reduced to 18m to make players less dependent on it. If you played H5 for some time you’d probably be comfortable with Infinite’s radar size unless you didn’t. It dawned on me that a lot of these players probably quit H5 or never got the chance to play (poor PC players) and didn’t get acclimated or outright rejected the changes H5 introduced.
>
> With each installment the players who were playing the last entry to the bitter end provide the most feedback for the next entry. Halo 5 fans became the survivors who provided the most feedback at the time. I believe btb’s radar range was upped to 25m, but the arena format remains 18m in H5. Those who didn’t appreciate the radar change probably didn’t submit feedback and stopped playing the game all together. This same bias is probably why each previous entry is appreciated more after the release of the next installment. The haters left, and the fans stayed. In 2007 H3 sucked and H3 ruled, in 2010 Halo Reach sucked and H2 ruled and so on.
>
> Im sure 343 tried to take into account survivor bias when reviewing feedback from H5, and their in-game telemetrics probably give them a good idea of what players like and don’t, but I just thought this was an interesting observation. Anyone else notice similar phenomena with the latest Infinite feedback?

H2 always rules in my book, and idk… i hate H5 with all my heart (and H4) but i still played infinite…. I stopped because there was just one map and… well it got boring and repetitive… also, it could get very sweaty sometimes….

but I don’t doubt that there are a lot of OG fans who don’t want anything to do with infinite or 343, they definitely haven’t takedn the chance to influence infinite.

> 2717573882290912;1:
>
> With each installment the players who were playing the last entry to the bitter end provide the most feedback for the next entry. Halo 5 fans became the survivors who provided the most feedback at the time. I believe btb’s radar range was upped to 25m, but the arena format remains 18m in H5. Those who didn’t appreciate the radar change probably didn’t submit feedback and stopped playing the game all together. This same bias is probably why each previous entry is appreciated more after the release of the next installment. The haters left, and the fans stayed. In 2007 H3 sucked and H2 ruled, in 2010 Halo Reach sucked and H3 ruled and so on.
>

I think promoting Youtube videos in the forums is against the rules, but…

Ascend Hyperion on Youtube made a video that follows a very similar topic to this one, you should definitely check it out I think you’d appreciate it.

> 2535432765560174;5:
> > 2717573882290912;1:
> > With the latest flight concluded I was a bit surprised how much negative feedback there was around the radars range. In most Halo games it’s usually 25m, but starting with H5 it was reduced to 18m to make players less dependent on it. If you played H5 for some time you’d probably be comfortable with Infinite’s radar size unless you didn’t. It dawned on me that a lot of these players probably quit H5 or never got the chance to play (poor PC players) and didn’t get acclimated or outright rejected the changes H5 introduced.
> >
> > With each installment the players who were playing the last entry to the bitter end provide the most feedback for the next entry. Halo 5 fans became the survivors who provided the most feedback at the time. I believe btb’s radar range was upped to 25m, but the arena format remains 18m in H5. Those who didn’t appreciate the radar change probably didn’t submit feedback and stopped playing the game all together. This same bias is probably why each previous entry is appreciated more after the release of the next installment. The haters left, and the fans stayed. In 2007 H3 sucked and H3 ruled, in 2010 Halo Reach sucked and H2 ruled and so on.
> >
> > Im sure 343 tried to take into account survivor bias when reviewing feedback from H5, and their in-game telemetrics probably give them a good idea of what players like and don’t, but I just thought this was an interesting observation. Anyone else notice similar phenomena with the latest Infinite feedback?
>
> H2 always rules in my book, and idk… i hate H5 with all my heart (and H4) but i still played infinite…. I stopped because there was just one map and… well it got boring and repetitive… also, it could get very sweaty sometimes….
>
> but I don’t doubt that there are a lot of OG fans who don’t want anything to do with infinite or 343, they definitely haven’t takedn the chance to influence infinite.

You quit too early bud, they added more maps the day after the first day of the flight.

> 2717573882290912;1:
>
> With each installment the players who were playing the last entry to the bitter end provide the most feedback for the next entry. Halo 5 fans became the survivors who provided the most feedback at the time. I believe btb’s radar range was upped to 25m, but the arena format remains 18m in H5. Those who didn’t appreciate the radar change probably didn’t submit feedback and stopped playing the game all together. This same bias is probably why each previous entry is appreciated more after the release of the next installment. The haters left, and the fans stayed. In 2007 H3 sucked and H2 ruled, in 2010 Halo Reach sucked and H3 ruled and so on.
>

Never really used the radar, so I didn’t even notice

> 2533274801036271;4:
> I feel like 18m is perfect because it forces more close range, sporadic encounters.
>
> Allows more freedom of movement and encourages the Sidekick and AR battles in BTB.

18m range,because of clamber

I wouldn’t say those who did not like halo 5 left and those that didn’t became survivors. I had animosity towards halo 5 because of changes they made and the story mostly. but that didn’t mean I left or didn’t play it. I gave it till I got to level 58 in the multiplayer and till I beat the campaign on legendary to win me over. So you have some who weren’t that surprised. Also like one of the other replies I have never been really too reliant on the radar. It’s best usually to just check it quickly before rounding a corner. depend on it too much and you will always get killed by the guy directly in front of you.