Surprised on people wanting the flood back

As the topic says, I’m surprised so many people want the flood back when their story was pretty much done by the end of Halo 3 (I know they came back in HW2 DLC). I’m kinda surprised though because most of the flood related levels in previous games were, in my opinion, the worst in each game. They’re an interesting enemy, I like them, but I don’t like fighting them. I also can’t see them coming into Infinite what with the age rated of T and not M in the USA.
I would love to hear people’s thoughts on this topic though, I’d like to understand the want for them to return.

I just want them back because they are nostalgic. I also loved killing hordes of them with my shotgun in CE but I dont see them coming to infinite either and its sad but i cant see the flood coming back willy nilly because its a universal and maybe even a galactic threat and rings were the only way we know of that work. Zeta halo is a ring but firing halo rings is bound to get repetitive since halo 1-3 was all about it.

I think a lot of people are hoping to see them because the setting is Zeta Halo, myself included. Zeta has a long history of being associated with Flood research.

Annoying enemies but they are uniquely Halo.

Flood is fun af. 343 should design a mission with all kinds of flood attacking the FOB, including Halo Wars 1 bomber form. Use your Grappleshot to defeat them.

> 2533274806923063;1:
> As the topic says, I’m surprised so many people want the flood back when their story was pretty much done by the end of Halo 3 (I know they came back in HW2 DLC).

The Delta Halo Gravemind + Outbreak was done by the end of Halo 3 (minus the HW2 DLC), but there is still Flood out there. A lot of Forerunner installations have Flood in containment/stasis for study and even Zeta Halo has history with the Flood. Plus I think it’s implied in the books or something that there might even be Flood outside of the galaxy, but I am not certain on that. Either way, the Flood is not 100% gone and are still a distant existential threat waiting for an accident to happen.

Couple reasons:

• The gravemind’s last line in halo 3 is that all you’ve done is delay him. - Unlike the covenant which had its entire command structure obliterated between halo 2 and 3, we only defeated a single outbreak, with it being obvious there’s flood on other halo installations and other fasciliaties due to halo 1 and 2 (and arguably 3 if its mp maps are cannon). - The flood change up gameplay/thematics in a way just covenant or a covenant/promethean mix do not. Halo was really cool with its 3-way battles an we haven’t really had them since halo 2. - The books pretty much set things up for their return. - Their as iconic to halo as the halo rings, and it feels weird to go back to a halo ring without involving them somehow. How can people want to go back to a halo ring so badly but not want the thing they’re meant to defeat?

People like different things I guess. I love fighting especially Reach Elites, combat AI is great, but I too think the Flood is very boring to fight. Uber aggro warts on feet that just simply run towards you.

Still possible for DLC/Campaign Addon

The flood story was never done in halo 3, just like their story was never done after the firing of the halo rings.
The flood can rise again be it from somewhere in space or some forerunner flood storage facility. We only know of installation 04 and 05 flood being released ingame, there may be more.

I did see the library for zeta halo in the trailer and some of the art.

And flood being annoying is just your opinion I definitely enjoyed them especially in halo ce

> 2533274806923063;1:
> As the topic says, I’m surprised so many people want the flood back when their story was pretty much done by the end of Halo 3 (I know they came back in HW2 DLC). I’m kinda surprised though because most of the flood related levels in previous games were, in my opinion, the worst in each game. They’re an interesting enemy, I like them, but I don’t like fighting them. I also can’t see them coming into Infinite what with the age rated of T and not M in the USA.
> I would love to hear people’s thoughts on this topic though, I’d like to understand the want for them to return.

??? If you seriously think the flood’s story was “pretty much done by the end of Halo 3” then you have no knowledge of Halo lore.

The flood is not even CLOSE to done. Why do so many people assert opinions as factual information on here?

It changes up the gameplay from fighting the same faction the whole time, while also changing the tone of the game at certain parts with the Flood’s horror element.

1. Flood are integral to Halo, afterall it was the reason the Halo rings were created. They are more important from a lore perspective than the covenant frankly, so hard to keep them away for too long.

2. Enemy variety. Now the flood were always kinda boring in past games, but we’ve seen in other forms of media (books, Halo Wars 1 & 2) that they can have lots of variety, which is important from a Single-player and firefight perspective.

3. Important to Zeta Halo… would be a bizarre choice of locale if Flood are never seen in Infinite.

> 2533274807484193;12:
> It changes up the gameplay from fighting the same faction the whole time, while also changing the tone of the game at certain parts with the Flood’s horror element.

Also, and this is something that isn’t really touched upon too much in past titles, the flood significantly change local wildlife/fauna so imagine you clearing out an area, then going back to see the beautiful vistas of before become a cesspool.

> 2533274964189700;7:
> Couple reasons:
>
>
> - The gravemind’s last line in halo 3 is that all you’ve done is delay him. - Unlike the covenant which had its entire command structure obliterated between halo 2 and 3, we only defeated a single outbreak, with it being obvious there’s flood on other halo installations and other fasciliaties due to halo 1 and 2 (and arguably 3 if its mp maps are cannon). - The flood change up gameplay/thematics in a way just covenant or a covenant/promethean mix do not. Halo was really cool with its 3-way battles an we haven’t really had them since halo 2. - The books pretty much set things up for their return. - Their as iconic to halo as the halo rings, and it feels weird to go back to a halo ring without involving them somehow. How can people want to go back to a halo ring so badly but not want the thing they’re meant to defeat?

Exactly. The name of the game itself ‘Halo’ is for the very super weapon built specifically to counter the Flood. The Halo rings would probably not exist without the Flood causing them to be built in the first place. I really want to see the Flood return.

I despised the flood levels personally. Never enjoyed them over all. Though I wouldn’t be surprised to see them return. Just too large of a character. Though the new trailer seems to introduce anew foe.

People are tired of Prometheans and the variety of flood types we saw in Halo 3 added something new for the gameplay.

> 2533274806923063;1:
> As the topic says, I’m surprised so many people want the flood back when their story was pretty much done by the end of Halo 3 (I know they came back in HW2 DLC). I’m kinda surprised though because most of the flood related levels in previous games were, in my opinion, the worst in each game. They’re an interesting enemy, I like them, but I don’t like fighting them. I also can’t see them coming into Infinite what with the age rated of T and not M in the USA.
> I would love to hear people’s thoughts on this topic though, I’d like to understand the want for them to return.

I attribute their poor combat to Bungie having bad level design for them. Think back to CE and how its second half is often referred to as “The first half, just backwards”. The Flood make their grand introduction in 6th mission (which is awesome), but after that CE becomes super repetitive. In Halo 2, everything sucked to fight. Then in Halo 3, Cortana was actually the second half of Floodgate that got repurposed into a full level for time contraints. Basically Flood got screwed by bad level design than actually being bad enemies.

Halo wars 2 was T rated and it had the most detailed Flood ever. I don’t think that would be an issue.

There’s a lot of history with Zeta Halo and the Flood. Also I personally believe Cortana has the logic plague which would be the craziest plot twist since CE if that gets revealed.

Finally, people like zombies. The Flood have a lot of cool mechanics that Bungie never figured out, but maybe 343 will be able to fix that.

I know the flood can come back, afterall, the rings don’t destroy them but organic matter. By done I meant storywise, otherwise we’d be treading the same beats again and again. Like in comics when they constantly being back the same bad guys etc. Does this make sense?

I wouldn’t mind if they appear in test tubes and chambers etc, but as a main enemy, I think I’m done, unless they really overhaul them. I liked the unique flood Halo 3, but all the combat flood are the same with a different skins. Maybe a good 5-10 unique varieties would spice them up.

I also think HW2 got away with the flood because it’s from a distance and not close up so maybe that’s why it got a T and not M, or maybe age standards have relaxed a bit more?

Lol I’ve always liked the Flood and their levels. 343 Guilty Spark, The Library from CE and Cortana from Halo 3 in particular.

They’re like the zombie class of enemy that tries to overwhelm you in large numbers, they feel functionally different to the Covenant, whereas I think Prometheans were kinda dull to fight in general and functionally weren’t that different to the Covenant. Even the visuals for the Flood forms are distinct and different.

It’s simply a unique type of gameplay experience and for me it’s one that is far more enjoyable when compared to fighting generic Promethean infantry like Soldiers, Knights and Watchers…I liked the Crawlers though.

I’m happy with how their story concluded but gameplay-wise, I’d love to fight them again.