Surprise/unknown gameplay loops?

So I’ve seen A LOT of people complaining on YT about how this just looks like “Far Cry Halo” but I think 343i is smarter than to just make this game a “Far Cry clone”.

My question is does anyone else think they’re hiding more of the gameplay loop from us to keep as a surprise for when the game actually launches? Or is what we were shown all there is to it (Destroy bases, activate tower to unlock part of the map, etc)?

I will tell you what, I sure hope there is much more to the loop than we saw. Having played all the farcry games except the last 2 releases I have found I cant keep interested in open world games where you slowly secure the map. I really hope the loop is more dynamic than this. Crackdown, farcry, prototype, are all games that I enjoyed but slowly grew sour over time for me personally. I love halo for its sandbox within a strong narrative, not a narrative within a sandbox. Im looking for scripted content comparable to linear halo.

Halo ODST got the open world and linear level balance right in my opinion. Its an open world but I can still remember x is behind this wall and this is how I have dealt with x in the past. Linear levels create nostalgic memory and then there is halo 5 which is an anomalously confusing blur, but I chalk that up to poor narrative choices. I bet with more time in H5, they could have locked down a narrative and good character stories/motives, but that is beside the point.

Edit: to clarify, I want the open world dynamic and the missions to take place outside the open world. Side missions can still exist in the open world but I dont want to drive by a location in the open world and remember that this is where the hunter hid on level 2.

Honeslty, I think most of the “farcry” aka “ubisoft” aspects will be gutted from Halo. The thing about Farcry is that its core combat loop isnt exactly interesting. As such, the world ends up having to be filled with nonsense to keep players attention. This is why we see Ubisoft games get things such as mini games, hunting, crafting etc.

Halo is really the only game that could just have outpost clearing and have it work well. Why? Cause of its 30 seconds of fun combat design. Its goal is to always be injecting some form of fun into the game pacing at any time and it doesnt do it by making a check list. I would probably put this design closer to what Gears 5 tried to do. However, Gears 5’s open spaced lacked all forms of dynamic interactions outside of specific locations. The video shows that, even outside specific locations, there will be dynamic things happening so im less worried there.

We dont know the outpost variety though. Are they all blow up silos? Are all of them custom made? (no copy paste like farcry tends to be) Are boss encounters tailored to them and unique experiences? There are still too many questions, but based on what was shown, I dont think there are going to be hidden gameplay loops. Aka dont expect for bases to be recaptured (I hope not anyway). Dont expect to be hunting down loot containers or materials to do upgrades. Instead, it will focus on having an A to B path for the campaign where you can instead to go path C, D, and F if you so choose. These paths will be their own thing from a design standpoint. The sandbox then can handle the loop variation in the ecnounters.

We also have to consider the fact that 343 stated they made the games encounters (at least in the OW) a bit dynamic so that the game considers what you have and then spawns encounters thats would be fun to engage with what you have. IF that system works, the outposts/fortresses are varied, and the main missions provide the same “halo” large event feel of past games, then it could be the best OW we get.

> 2535441918993765;1:
> So I’ve seen A LOT of people complaining on YT about how this just looks like “Far Cry Halo” but I think 343i is smarter than to just make this game a “Far Cry clone”.
>
> My question is does anyone else think they’re hiding more of the gameplay loop from us to keep as a surprise for when the game actually launches? Or is what we were shown all there is to it (Destroy bases, activate tower to unlock part of the map, etc)?

343i smarter ? So that H4 Cod clone is forgotten about or the H5 loot box req saga .just asking for a friend about which smart version of 343 we are referring to

> 2535406126289417;4:
> > 2535441918993765;1:
> > So I’ve seen A LOT of people complaining on YT about how this just looks like “Far Cry Halo” but I think 343i is smarter than to just make this game a “Far Cry clone”.
> >
> > My question is does anyone else think they’re hiding more of the gameplay loop from us to keep as a surprise for when the game actually launches? Or is what we were shown all there is to it (Destroy bases, activate tower to unlock part of the map, etc)?
>
> 343i smarter ? So that H4 Cod clone is forgotten about or the H5 loot box req saga .just asking for a friend about which smart version of 343 we are referring to

The “new one” that chose not to ship Infinite last year and let it cook a little longer, or the one that co-produced Halo: Reach.

> 2535441918993765;1:
> So I’ve seen A LOT of people complaining on YT about how this just looks like “Far Cry Halo” but I think 343i is smarter than to just make this game a “Far Cry clone”.
>
> My question is does anyone else think they’re hiding more of the gameplay loop from us to keep as a surprise for when the game actually launches? Or is what we were shown all there is to it (Destroy bases, activate tower to unlock part of the map, etc)?

I think there is significantly more than what we saw. People are just naturally comparing it to X game and having a knee jerk reaction without knowing significantly more detail. Halo has always be a game about outposts somewhat. The difference was it was linear not semi-open world. The gameplay loop will largely depend on how the Campaign standouts with writing. How much value do we get by going to these locations? Do we get audio logs that gives us a unique perspective? Lots of questions however assuming the answers to them leads to just useless guessing. We just saw a tad bit more of campaign and we have people getting unhinged with assumptions already.

Open world is so incredibly boring 99% of the time and a good example for lazy and unimaginative game design.

It’s sad that all the Ubisoft open world games after Far Cry 3 have shown no development in any sensible direction unless you count adding tedious grinding mechanics. Assassin’s Creed is guilty of the same BS.

Interesting fact: Far Cry 3 was released 9 years ago.

Edit: I loved FC3 when it came out but it got a bit boring halfway through the game. Still awesome for it’s time though.

> 2535467341363106;7:
> Open world is so incredibly boring 99% of the time and a good example for lazy and unimaginative game design.
>
> It’s sad that all the Ubisoft open world games after Far Cry 3 have shown no development in any sensible direction unless you count adding tedious grinding mechanics. Assassin’s Creed is guilty of the same BS.
>
> Interesting fact: Far Cry 3 was released 9 years ago.
>
> Edit: I loved FC3 when it came out but it got a bit boring halfway through the game. Still awesome for it’s time though.

I feel like the “99%” is far fetched however lazy design is more likely to be found in open world games. Halo seems like a game that naturally falls into the open world landscape because of the way the gameplay naturally is. The problem with some games are they are made into open world while the gameplay doesn’t complement it really well at all.

> 2533274792737987;8:
> > 2535467341363106;7:
> > Open world is so incredibly boring 99% of the time and a good example for lazy and unimaginative game design.
> >
> > It’s sad that all the Ubisoft open world games after Far Cry 3 have shown no development in any sensible direction unless you count adding tedious grinding mechanics. Assassin’s Creed is guilty of the same BS.
> >
> > Interesting fact: Far Cry 3 was released 9 years ago.
> >
> > Edit: I loved FC3 when it came out but it got a bit boring halfway through the game. Still awesome for it’s time though.
>
> I feel like the “99%” is far fetched however lazy design is more likely to be found in open world games. Halo seems like a game that naturally falls into the open world landscape because of the way the gameplay naturally is. The problem with some games are they are made into open world while the gameplay doesn’t complement it really well at all.

While I did pull out the number of thin air I can only think of very few titles with a good open world implementation. That would be Witcher 3 with an insane amount of unique sidequests and the original Outcast.

One could argue that the old cRPGs like Fallout 1,2 Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and so on were also good in that regard but they don’t share the same open world mechanics and design we’ve seen the last decade.

Nier Replicant at least has the decency to insult you with fetch quests.

Let’s hope none of that empty feeling will be present in Infinite.