Supposed "role" of DMR

Back when 343 was still talking about the weapons they said that each weapon was going to have “roles”. For example having the person with the AR running up close and a BR for the mid range and DMR for long range.

What I don’t understand is why the DMR kills just as fast as the BR… if you go up close to someone and hold down the trigger with the AR it is going to beat the BR and DMR everytime, that is because you got within it’s range. It works, the AR has a set role.

But the DMR… is supposed to be a long range weapon, and not supposed to be as viable at closer distances, when you put it into the effective range of the BR it stands an equal chance. Well this doesn’t make sense at all. I thought the weapons were supposed to have roles, not be so versatile that it is pointless to pick another weapon like the BR or Carbine. If you get within the effective range of either of these weapons with the DMR, it should be at a dis-advantage simply because you are now holding a long range weapon. That is how balanced weapon roles work.

Here’s an example… the sniper rilfe… yes it is a power weapon but it is the same concept as the DMR. At a range you are likely not going to win a fight with it because you are at the effective range of the weapon. To beat it you want to get in close where the weapon is not as effective.

Same concept… What they tried to do is not make the weapon just weaker (which it should be) but “give it less aim assist” Kevin franklin said it was comparable to trying to no scope with a sniper at close range but not as difficult. Well that could make sense, if they actually dumbed down the aim assist more, because clearly the thing is still extremely easy to shoot. The hip-fire aim assist of the weapon has a further distance than the BR.

But even if they did nerf the aim assist a bit, ease of shooting it is an opinion and you have to balance your weapons based on top tier gameplay. A simple solution would be to make the thing just take longer to kill, now i’m not sure by how much… and how they do that could be tinkering with the RoF of whatever they have to do… but the point of picking the DMR should be to use it at a distance and not to turn around and outclass a weapon that is within that weapons “effective kill range” and then just turn back around and continue to enjoy the long lines of sight.

Thanks for reading.

> A simple solution would be to make the thing just take longer to kill

No. The DMR is fine as is.

> > A simple solution would be to make the thing just take longer to kill
>
> No. The DMR is fine as is.

Okay, as much as I hate relating video games to real life, here I go.

The point of a DMR is for mid/long range engagements, it’s a powerful semi auto rifle. In the game, it should be just that, a powerful mid/long range rifle, which it is. If it’s good up close, that’s just an added bonus. DMR stands for Designated Marksman Rifle. Obviously to people in the game, that means nothing. But since I own a DMR, it means something. It’s your normal (lets use real guns) M4/AR15 platform with a longer/heavier barrel and is chambered in a heavier round (mine is in 7.62). You say since it is a long range rifle that it should perform like one up close, but my DMR handles like my regular M4 does, so what are you trying to say? Hell, it should kill even faster up close by your logic. Guns just don’t get less accurate up close dude, even if you’re not scoped in.

Why should such a powerful rifle take longer to kill? I’m all about balance>realism but the DMR is fine. It just seems like it’s OP because everyone is using it and there are only 2 different rifles to choose from that are worth a damn in this game. If they made the Carbine halfway decent I’d keep using it.

Deal with it.

I’m not suggesting any kind of radical difference in the kill time… just enough to give the BR an edge within it’s range like the AR wins within it’s range if used properly, like possibly even a slight RoF nerf… or something

> I’m not suggesting any kind of radical difference in the kill time… just enough to give the BR an edge, like possibly even a slight RoF nerf… or something

I feel like the RoF is fine. But if it slowed down it wouldn’t bother me that much either because I would still use it. I’m so anti-BR it’s stupid, Only reason I dealt with it before was because it was the only rifle besides the Carbine in Halo that was good.

> I’m not suggesting any kind of radical difference in the kill time… just enough to give the BR an edge, like possibly even a slight RoF nerf… or something

Why? The gun works well, that’s no reason to nerf it. if you nerf it then the BR will have an edge and then people will call for a nerf on that and it will become a gradual decline in both guns performance.

Leave the DMR alone. If you can’t outgun it with a BR then stop trying and just use the DMR.

> > I’m not suggesting any kind of radical difference in the kill time… just enough to give the BR an edge, like possibly even a slight RoF nerf… or something
>
> Why? The gun works well, that’s no reason to nerf it. if you nerf it then the BR will have an edge and then people will call for a nerf on that and it will become a gradual decline in both guns performance.
>
> Leave the DMR alone. If you can’t outgun it with a BR then stop trying and just use the DMR.

YUP. This SAME exact thing happened in BF3.

Two really good weapons (M416 and M16A3) were being used but the 416 had more of an edge to it (which it should because it’s an overall better gun IRL). Anyway, people whined and complained about OP this, too accurate that, get rid of the burst function (even though IRL it has burst) and they listened!. So they nerfed that gun to where it was useless when compared to the M16A3 (Full auto variant). People FLOCKED to that gun, started using it. People now started whining about the M16 being OP because “everyone used it” They recently nerfed the RoF and gave it more recoil so now the 416 is the better weapon again.

I do NOT want to see that happen with the BR/DMR, they both have their roles, and they both do them well.

Either leave it as it is, because I think it’s fine, or buff the BR and Carbine. I don’t get why everyone’s answer to everything is “NERF IT OMG”, it just makes everything crap and boring to use, like the DMR was in Reach before the TU which got rid of the stupid amount of bloom.

the only change i would be ok with is a slight change in rof. lower it by like .01 seconds and thats it. otherwise, leave it as is.

> Why? The gun works well, that’s no reason to nerf it. if you nerf it then the BR will have an edge and then people will call for a nerf on that and it will become a gradual decline in both guns performance.
>
> Leave the DMR alone. If you can’t outgun it with a BR then stop trying and just use the DMR.

I know the gun works well… i’m just saying that it works too well, it is just to versatile. It out classes the BR all around. Why would you pick a BR or carbine when you can do what they can do, and do it at a range?

> > Why? The gun works well, that’s no reason to nerf it. if you nerf it then the BR will have an edge and then people will call for a nerf on that and it will become a gradual decline in both guns performance.
> >
> > Leave the DMR alone. If you can’t outgun it with a BR then stop trying and just use the DMR.
>
> I know the gun works well… i’m just saying that it works too well, it is just to versatile. It out classes the BR all around. Why would you pick a BR or carbine when you can do what they can do, and do it at a range?

use the dmr on large maps and the br on small ones. best of both.

I agree that something needs to be done about the DMR. What I don’t understand is how can people say it’s fine when it reduces online matches to a standstill? Because of the DMR almost every match is a camp fest due to it’s ridiculous range and almost every other loadout weapon is obsolete in almost all situations. People will no longer venture out on maps such as Exile as campers simply sit in the caves and around the outside of the map with DMRs which leads to most of the map not even being used. Not to mention the spawn killing capabilities.

The solution is to buff the other weapons… nerfing the DMR would slow down the game, and nothing would change because the maps are still huge

The DMR is the one of the few things in Halo 4 that aren’t broken.

> The solution is to buff the other weapons… nerfing the DMR would slow down the game, and nothing would change because the maps are still huge

maybe tighten up the spread on the br?

> > The solution is to buff the other weapons… nerfing the DMR would slow down the game, and nothing would change because the maps are still huge
>
> maybe tighten up the spread on the br?

That, and buff the damage a little on the carbine. Shouldn’t take me damn near a whole mag of Carbine to a dudes head to kill him, up close.

> > Why? The gun works well, that’s no reason to nerf it. if you nerf it then the BR will have an edge and then people will call for a nerf on that and it will become a gradual decline in both guns performance.
> >
> > Leave the DMR alone. If you can’t outgun it with a BR then stop trying and just use the DMR.
>
> I know the gun works well… i’m just saying that it works too well, it is just to versatile. It out classes the BR all around. <mark>Why would you pick a BR or carbine when you can do what they can do, and do it at a range?</mark>

Why do you care? It’s not like the DMR is only available to some players. You can use it too! If you really want to use other guns then use them. That’s what they are there for.

> The solution is to buff the other weapons… nerfing the DMR would slow down the game, and nothing would change because the maps are still huge

I would normally agree to just buff the other things to not slow down the game, because a 5sk br sounds bad. But the game is too easy, the aim assist… the hitboxes etc. You would hit the 4sk every time and I think that would play bad. Imagine getting 4 shot in H3 every single time. That is what it would be like

> > > The solution is to buff the other weapons… nerfing the DMR would slow down the game, and nothing would change because the maps are still huge
> >
> > maybe tighten up the spread on the br?
>
> That, and buff the damage a little on the carbine. Shouldn’t take me damn near a whole mag of Carbine to a dudes head to kill him, up close.

i havent used the carbine yet is it really 8 shots to kill?

i know it shoots way faster than others but if thats true 7 would be better