Suggestions for Spartan Abilities (Halo 6)

I feel quite a few of the Spartan Abilities in Halo 5 are pretty good concepts for the gameplay, though I honestly believe they can be implemented better. Here are my suggestions for Halo 6, to improve the Spartan Abilities.

• The Thrusters are like, the only way you can properly strafe now, it overpowers the traditional side-to-side movement too much. But the attributes can be tweaked with the base movement and the thrusters, so it could be perfectly balanced if the effort was made, and I’d like to see it done well. Thrusting and normal strafing should have their advantages and disadvantages, but really, the only reason the player wouldn’t want to thrust is because of the recharge delay. Thrusting is just automatically better than strafing. So again, just tweak the values of the base movement, and the thrusters. - The Ground Pound just breaks the pace entirely, because of how long it takes to charge. Again, I’d rather it be like the pancake kills of UT4, where all you have to do is drop from a high altitude, and your velocity will let you crush an opponent. The only thing you would have to worry about is finding a high enough place to drop from, and actually timing it so you can land on them. Being an automatic feature would feel a lot more natural, instead of having to sit there, be suspended in the air, and charge it by pressing another button (that just feels clunky and awkward). Overall, I feel this - The Slide feels restrictive due to the lack of steering, and not being able to use your weapon. I would make it so you can curve as much as you want during a slide, just by turning your character. And I would also allow the player to shoot, it would be balanced as you would only be allowed to shoot in the direction you’re sliding (as your view angle is controlling your movement direction too). If you have to be stuck moving in a straight line during the slide’s duration, and you also have no access to your weapon, then it doesn’t really flow well with the combat and the base movement. Part of movement is feeling natural. It contrasts with the movement and combat, instead of it being a natural transition that flows nicely. - As far as the Stabilizers go, it also feels restrictive, in that they’re automated when you zoom. Sure, you can disable the auto-stabilize, but that handles very clunky and puts you at a disadvantage (you have to be close to frame-perfect when clicking LS). The Stabilizer would be a lot more fluid if all you had to do was press A again in mid-air. It’d be easier than having to press LS, and allows for a greater feeling of player choice than simply having it be automated. I also wish you could do it in hip-fire, because why not? It’s not like you get to stay suspended in the air for that long. Again, movement should feel natural, not restrictive. If you can only do something zoomed in, then it doesn’t flow nicely with the combat as a whole, only the long range combat. - Sprint is balanced, but I feel it should be removed. The reason is, a major aspect that Halo CE/2/3 shared within their gameplay was the slower-paced style. Making the game flashy and fast-paced, it heavily contrasts the unique gameplay which the classic series had. It’s much better implemented than Halo Reach and Halo 4, I’ll give you that, it’s pretty much balanced out with the shield recharge delay. So I wouldn’t mind seeing this in a NEW arena shooter, I just feel that Halo had a unique gameplay style which should be better respected. The slower pace worked perfectly fine, because the maps were accommodated for the movement speed, and heck, the strafing/dodging was actually faster. UPDATE: Actually, I wouldn’t mind bringing back Sprint as *a recharging armor ability like from Reach. However, treat it like an on-map powerup that players have to collect, rather than it being a starting feature. The gameplay would still have the slow pace most of the time, you would just one extra item which would spice things up for whichever player collects it. I don’t mind it being like a collectable speed boost, as all the other players would still move at natural speed.*I do feel three abilities are perfectly fine with their current implementation, for the most part,

• Clamber might take out the timing skill of crouch jumping, but I realize the greater verticality can add to the strategic positioning of the game. So whichever gameplay mechanic they choose (crouch jumping or clambers), they both work well for the gameplay in their own way. - Charge is just another melee attack, really. Though since I want sprint removed, charge would have to be combined with the thruster pack. Perhaps just hitting melee while thrusting, it would have the same effect. UPDATE__: It should also have higher knockback so the enemy has a chance to fight back. - And as for Aim Down Sights, Halo was always a precision-based game, and really, it’s just another interpretation for that aspect of the formula. The most important thing, I feel its executed extremely well with the game’s movement. It’s similar to how Brutal Doom handled ADS, in that it doesn’t ever break the pace at all.Also, additional idea.

• I also wouldn’t mind a Halo game with a Dodge Roll in place of the thruster. A dodge roll would be nice because it’d feel more natural with the movement, it’d be like vaulting along the ground. It’d be a much smoother transition with normal jogging and strafing, as opposed to boosting yourself with a jetpack (if anyone’s getting tired of FPS jetpacks in 2014-2015). The only downside would be that it can’t be used while airborne, but at the same time, it would also make the normal jump-strafe technique useful by itself again, since you wouldn’t have the over-reliance on mid-air thrusters. If a dodge roll mechanic was done instead, I would make it like Evade from Reach where you can do it twice in rapid succession, however I would reduce the distance so it isn’t as overpowered. Unlike Evade, it wouldn’t have the hop at the end of the roll, because if someone wants to perform a leap, they would be allowed to simply jump at the end of the maneuver. (The small hop at the end of Evade, it always left the player suspended in mid-air, which made the transition between normal movement and the evade less natural). A dodge roll isn’t entirely necessary though, just an added idea, in case the thrusters ever become a tired concept.What do you guys think? Feel free to comment on my suggestions.

I think the recommended changes you have listed are mostly agreeable, and I think having a dodge roll in place of the Thruster would be cooler, but it might not make sense for the dodge roll to have a recharge time. As for the Spartan Charge, I think it is fine other than the fact that it will let the victim be headshot immediately after the attacker is out of the animation. I think the victim should have a small amount of shield to stop and instant headshot from most weapons.

> 2533275016942754;2:
> I think the recommended changes you have listed are mostly agreeable, and I think having a dodge roll in place of the Thruster would be cooler, but it might not make sense for the dodge roll to have a recharge time. As for the Spartan Charge, I think it is fine other than the fact that it will let the victim be headshot immediately after the attacker is out of the animation. I think the victim should have a small amount of shield to stop and instant headshot from most weapons.

The Dodge Roll wouldn’t really have a “recharge”, I’m just using that as a gameplay term. As far as an in-game explanation, the Spartan would just tire out maybe? They used to tire out after sprinting, so I believe it would work. I’m not sure if those specific details really matter though. You know, because good gameplay is better than being realistically accurate.

About the Charge. I added in an idea to the list. The knockback would be increased, so whenever the enemy is slammed into, he/she is given some distance and some breathing room to aim and fight back.

• Thrusters (Strafing) - I agree in some fashion. Strafing is there there, just not as effective, Gandhi hopping and crouch dancing are now more effected than the actual strafe. - Ground Pound - I actually enjoy this feature and it’s very balanced. Your idea is very interesting, but I don’t think it would work. The design of the maps would have to be built to accommodate for this feature and last time maps were built vertical (Reach), people disliked it (including myself). - Slide - I do not think it should change. Slide is more for getting to a location faster (power weapons, cover, etc) and used for defensive purposes. I do not think providing a person to shoot while sliding would work. - Stabilize - I also enjoy stabilize, but I think it should stay as is, meaning you have to be scoped in. - Sprint - This topic is very sticky. it’s hard to say if it should stay or go. Maybe they should keep Sprint in, but use it like in Reach, where there is a cool-down and not unlimited. - Clamber & ADS - This works very well and I agree with you. - Dodge/roll - If you take out thrusters, then it would not make sense for you to stabilize since you have to use the thrusters to stabilize.

> 2535461821732932;3:
> > 2533275016942754;2:
> > I think the recommended changes you have listed are mostly agreeable, and I think having a dodge roll in place of the Thruster would be cooler, but it might not make sense for the dodge roll to have a recharge time. As for the Spartan Charge, I think it is fine other than the fact that it will let the victim be headshot immediately after the attacker is out of the animation. I think the victim should have a small amount of shield to stop and instant headshot from most weapons.
>
>
> The Dodge Roll wouldn’t really have a “recharge”, I’m just using that as a gameplay term. As far as an in-game explanation, the Spartan would just tire out maybe? They used to tire out after sprinting, so I believe it would work. I’m not sure if those specific details really matter though. You know, because good gameplay is better than being realistically accurate.
>
> About the Charge. I added in an idea to the list. The knockback would be increased, so whenever the enemy is slammed into, he/she is given some distance and some breathing room to aim and fight back.

Great ideas! Game play=/= canon so you can do whatever basically

> 2533274829432487;5:
> > 2535461821732932;3:
> > > 2533275016942754;2:
> > > I think the recommended changes you have listed are mostly agreeable, and I think having a dodge roll in place of the Thruster would be cooler, but it might not make sense for the dodge roll to have a recharge time. As for the Spartan Charge, I think it is fine other than the fact that it will let the victim be headshot immediately after the attacker is out of the animation. I think the victim should have a small amount of shield to stop and instant headshot from most weapons.
> >
> >
> > The Dodge Roll wouldn’t really have a “recharge”, I’m just using that as a gameplay term. As far as an in-game explanation, the Spartan would just tire out maybe? They used to tire out after sprinting, so I believe it would work. I’m not sure if those specific details really matter though. You know, because good gameplay is better than being realistically accurate.
> >
> > About the Charge. I added in an idea to the list. The knockback would be increased, so whenever the enemy is slammed into, he/she is given some distance and some breathing room to aim and fight back.
>
>
> Great ideas! Game play=/= canon so you can do whatever basically

That’s how I always felt about gaming :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2535461821732932;3:
> > 2533275016942754;2:
> > I think the recommended changes you have listed are mostly agreeable, and I think having a dodge roll in place of the Thruster would be cooler, but it might not make sense for the dodge roll to have a recharge time. As for the Spartan Charge, I think it is fine other than the fact that it will let the victim be headshot immediately after the attacker is out of the animation. I think the victim should have a small amount of shield to stop and instant headshot from most weapons.
>
>
> The Dodge Roll wouldn’t really have a “recharge”, I’m just using that as a gameplay term. As far as an in-game explanation, the Spartan would just tire out maybe? They used to tire out after sprinting, so I believe it would work. I’m not sure if those specific details really matter though. You know, because good gameplay is better than being realistically accurate.
>
> About the Charge. I added in an idea to the list. The knockback would be increased, so whenever the enemy is slammed into, he/she is given some distance and some breathing room to aim and fight back.

Ok, that makes sense, I think that these modifications to the Spartan Abilities would be great.

> 2533274800383882;4:
> - Thrusters (Strafing) - I agree in some fashion. Strafing is there there, just not as effective, Gandhi hopping and crouch dancing are now more effected than the actual strafe.
> - Ground Pound - I actually enjoy this feature and it’s very balanced. Your idea is very interesting, but I don’t think it would work. The design of the maps would have to be built to accommodate for this feature and last time maps were built vertical (Reach), people disliked it (including myself).
> - Slide - I do not think it should change. Slide is more for getting to a location faster (power weapons, cover, etc) and used for defensive purposes. I do not think providing a person to shoot while sliding would work.
> - Stabilize - I also enjoy stabilize, but I think it should stay as is, meaning you have to be scoped in.
> - Sprint - This topic is very sticky. it’s hard to say if it should stay or go. Maybe they should keep Sprint in, but use it like in Reach, where there is a cool-down and not unlimited.
> - Clamber & ADS - This works very well and I agree with you.
> - Dodge/roll - If you take out thrusters, then it would not make sense for you to stabilize since you have to use the thrusters to stabilize.

• Thrusters (Strafing) - Strafing is there, yes. I was just talking for the most part. If you have thrusters, thrusting is just a better option. The only thing limiting you is the recharge. If you had unlimited thrusts, that’s all you’d use, which shows how minimal of an effect the strafing itself has.
  • Ground Pound - The point isn’t really about “balance”, it’s about keeping a constant, fluid pace. Having to be suspended in the air for several seconds, and then jetpacking forward in a straight line until you reach your collision, that’s what I mean by “restrictive”. It’s about feeling natural vs. feeling restrictive. A ground pound being an automatic thing which happens in first person, and doesn’t require any special button press, that would be a much smoother transition than having to phase your camera into third person and just wait for 5 seconds. As far as maps being vertical. The Halo 5 maps are designed with a lot of verticality, you know. I wouldn’t even say the problem with the Reach maps was verticality, I’d say the problem was that the flawed map layouts were easily abused by campers with zero effort required.
  • Slide - But it doesn’t help you get to places faster, it doesn’t increase your speed at all, and actually halts your momentum when it’s finished. Getting to places faster would be thrusting or sprinting. As far as using it defensively, giving it the ability to curve and turn would play into that perfectly, as you can actually steer yourself around sharp corners, which is the reason I thought of that. As far as shooting your gun, it would be only allowed to make the sliding feel more in-tune with the gunplay. It’s an action game, a shooter, having an ability which interrupts combat for no good reason, it bothers me.
  • Stabilize - But WHY do you have to be scoped in? What’s actually the point of this restriction, as far as the gameplay is concerned? It essentially takes out freedom of choice for a pointless restriction. Again, as I said, movement is best when it’s natural and fluid. Having to put your face in a scope for it to work, that doesn’t really feel natural and fluid, that feels restrictive. A random restriction is a pointless restriction.
  • Sprint - Actually, BETTER idea. Bring back it as a recharging armor ability from Reach. AND WAIT HEAR ME OUT. Treat it like an on-map powerup that players have to collect, rather than it being a starting feature. The gameplay would still have the slow pace most of the time, you would just one extra item which would spice things up for whichever player collects it. I don’t mind it being like a collectable speed boost, as all the other players would still move at natural speed.
  • Dodge/roll - I clearly was talking about the thruster pack as a gameplay mechanic, the sidestep maneuver. The boosters themselves can still be part of the Spartan’s armor for stabilizing. You know what I meant, I was talking gameplay mechanics, not lore, so let’s not get technical about it please.

How about NO MORE SPARTAN ABILITIES! Let’s make it more like H2A… have stuff as equipment and power ups on the field! Clearly all the gimmicks aren’t making Halo popular or maintaining population so take halo back to its roots.

> 2533274816788253;9:
> How about NO MORE SPARTAN ABILITIES! Let’s make it more like H2A… have stuff as equipment and power ups on the field! Clearly all the gimmicks aren’t making Halo popular or maintaining population so take halo back to its roots.

Well, the difference here is that I would wish to maintain the feel of Classic Halo. In that it would have a similar style of pacing.

The problem with Halo 5 really, is the pacing was an extremely heavy contrast to those of the classic games. Halo 1-3 always had a fairly slower pace which helped give it a very unique gameplay style for an arena shooter.

> 2535461821732932;8:
> > 2533274800383882;4:
> > -
>
>
>
> - Thrusters (Strafing) - Strafing is there, yes. I was just talking for the most part. If you have thrusters, thrusting is just a better option. The only thing limiting you is the recharge. If you had unlimited thrusts, that’s all you’d use, which shows how minimal of an effect the strafing itself has.
> - Ground Pound - The point isn’t really about “balance”, it’s about keeping a constant, fluid pace. Having to be suspended in the air for several seconds, and then jetpacking forward in a straight line until you reach your collision, that’s what I mean by “restrictive”. It’s about feeling natural vs. feeling restrictive. A ground pound being an automatic thing which happens in first person, and doesn’t require any special button press, that would be a much smoother transition than having to phase your camera into third person and just wait for 5 seconds. As far as maps being vertical. The Halo 5 maps are designed with a lot of verticality, you know. I wouldn’t even say the problem with the Reach maps was verticality, I’d say the problem was that the flawed map layouts were easily abused by campers with zero effort required.
> - Slide - But it doesn’t help you get to places faster, it doesn’t increase your speed at all, and actually halts your momentum when it’s finished. Getting to places faster would be thrusting or sprinting. As far as using it defensively, giving it the ability to curve and turn would play into that perfectly, as you can actually steer yourself around sharp corners, which is the reason I thought of that. As far as shooting your gun, it would be only allowed to make the sliding feel more in-tune with the gunplay. It’s an action game, a shooter, having an ability which interrupts combat for no good reason, it bothers me.
> - Stabilize - But WHY do you have to be scoped in? What’s actually the point of this restriction, as far as the gameplay is concerned? It essentially takes out freedom of choice for a pointless restriction. Again, as I said, movement is best when it’s natural and fluid. Having to put your face in a scope for it to work, that doesn’t really feel natural and fluid, that feels restrictive. A random restriction is a pointless restriction.
> - Sprint - Actually, BETTER idea. Bring back it as a recharging armor ability from Reach. AND WAIT HEAR ME OUT. Treat it like an on-map powerup that players have to collect, rather than it being a starting feature. The gameplay would still have the slow pace most of the time, you would just one extra item which would spice things up for whichever player collects it. I don’t mind it being like a collectable speed boost, as all the other players would still move at natural speed.
> - Dodge/roll - I clearly was talking about the thruster pack as a gameplay mechanic, the sidestep maneuver. The boosters themselves can still be part of the Spartan’s armor for stabilizing. You know what I meant, I was talking gameplay mechanics, not lore, so let’s not get technical about it please.

I agree with you on a lot of your points. For Strafing, it has been reduced quite a bit and the only way to increase the strafe, as you already said in your OP, increase base movement. It would be very interesting to see this change in the Ground Pound, I see where you are coming from. I think slide was put in this game to make people feel “cool”. I would rather this just to removed, but it can stay. I say keep the scope for the stabilize is for the because to me it feels fluid. I’m not sure what button layout would work to stabilize without scoping, since the button layout is already occupied with many abilities. I would also be in favor to have sprint a a pick up power up or on a cool down, speed boost like in H2A. Yeah, I really didn’t have an argument for dodge/roll, just throwing a dart at the wall to see if it stuck : ).

> 2535461821732932;10:
> > 2533274816788253;9:
> > How about NO MORE SPARTAN ABILITIES! Let’s make it more like H2A… have stuff as equipment and power ups on the field! Clearly all the gimmicks aren’t making Halo popular or maintaining population so take halo back to its roots.
>
>
> Well, the difference here is that I would wish to maintain the feel of Classic Halo. In that it would have a similar style of pacing.
>
> The problem with Halo 5 really, is the pacing was an extremely heavy contrast to those of the classic games. Halo 1-3 always had a fairly slower pace which helped give it a very unique gameplay style for an arena shooter.

H2A had a nice pace to it because they increased your base speed. H2A was awesome it’s sad we got such a cheap version of what it could have been

How does thrusting overpower the traditional strafing? You can’t use your weapon while you are mid-thrust. I don’t see how that is more effective that strafing. Plus with all the spartan abilities as they are now you are already running very short on free buttons on your controller to execute them. You would need a fully customizable Scuf or Xbox Elite controller just to assign all the abilities to each button.

Plus didn’t we have a dodge/roll ability when playing as Elites (Sanghelli) in Reach MP?

> 2533274800383882;11:
> > 2535461821732932;8:
> > > 2533274800383882;4:
> > > -
> >
> >
> >
> > - Thrusters (Strafing) - Strafing is there, yes. I was just talking for the most part. If you have thrusters, thrusting is just a better option. The only thing limiting you is the recharge. If you had unlimited thrusts, that’s all you’d use, which shows how minimal of an effect the strafing itself has.
> > - Ground Pound - The point isn’t really about “balance”, it’s about keeping a constant, fluid pace. Having to be suspended in the air for several seconds, and then jetpacking forward in a straight line until you reach your collision, that’s what I mean by “restrictive”. It’s about feeling natural vs. feeling restrictive. A ground pound being an automatic thing which happens in first person, and doesn’t require any special button press, that would be a much smoother transition than having to phase your camera into third person and just wait for 5 seconds. As far as maps being vertical. The Halo 5 maps are designed with a lot of verticality, you know. I wouldn’t even say the problem with the Reach maps was verticality, I’d say the problem was that the flawed map layouts were easily abused by campers with zero effort required.
> > - Slide - But it doesn’t help you get to places faster, it doesn’t increase your speed at all, and actually halts your momentum when it’s finished. Getting to places faster would be thrusting or sprinting. As far as using it defensively, giving it the ability to curve and turn would play into that perfectly, as you can actually steer yourself around sharp corners, which is the reason I thought of that. As far as shooting your gun, it would be only allowed to make the sliding feel more in-tune with the gunplay. It’s an action game, a shooter, having an ability which interrupts combat for no good reason, it bothers me.
> > - Stabilize - But WHY do you have to be scoped in? What’s actually the point of this restriction, as far as the gameplay is concerned? It essentially takes out freedom of choice for a pointless restriction. Again, as I said, movement is best when it’s natural and fluid. Having to put your face in a scope for it to work, that doesn’t really feel natural and fluid, that feels restrictive. A random restriction is a pointless restriction.
> > - Sprint - Actually, BETTER idea. Bring back it as a recharging armor ability from Reach. AND WAIT HEAR ME OUT. Treat it like an on-map powerup that players have to collect, rather than it being a starting feature. The gameplay would still have the slow pace most of the time, you would just one extra item which would spice things up for whichever player collects it. I don’t mind it being like a collectable speed boost, as all the other players would still move at natural speed.
> > - Dodge/roll - I clearly was talking about the thruster pack as a gameplay mechanic, the sidestep maneuver. The boosters themselves can still be part of the Spartan’s armor for stabilizing. You know what I meant, I was talking gameplay mechanics, not lore, so let’s not get technical about it please.
>
>
> I agree with you on a lot of your points. For Strafing, it has been reduced quite a bit and the only way to increase the strafe, as you already said in your OP, increase base movement. It would be very interesting to see this change in the Ground Pound, I see where you are coming from. I think slide was put in this game to make people feel “cool”. I would rather this just to removed, but it can stay. I say keep the scope for the stabilize is for the because to me it feels fluid. I’m not sure what button layout would work to stabilize without scoping, since the button layout is already occupied with many abilities. I would also be in favor to have sprint a a pick up power up or on a cool down, speed boost like in H2A. Yeah, I really didn’t have an argument for dodge/roll, just throwing a dart at the wall to see if it stuck : ).

The main thing I find with the slide is that you need to give it more of a purpose. It does have its usage actually, but it’s extremely situational. You want the abilities to be used in different ways and have a natural flow. If you can’t really apply it too heavily to your gameplay, without forcing yourself to, I feel it should be implemented in a way which matters more. Letting the player curve around would give it that added usage of turning sharp corners while maintaining full-control. That’s just a lot more useful then having a slide which does nothing, and I feel it can be an interesting change to the gameplay, but not one that gets in the way of Halo’s core.

As for stabilize. I mainly say it’s restrictive because it’ll only see active use for the longer-range playstyles. I believe any ability (in general) would be much better if you could easily apply it to more situations, if it could benefit you in more ways. With more options you have for a certain ability, it adds a wider amount of strategy, since how you actually apply that ability into your gameplay is all up to you as a player, rather than it all having one blatantly obvious use. It’s all about choices and how well you can integrate them into your playstyle, in a variety of different ways. Why have a choice that’s so black-and-white? I feel it’d be more interesting if everything is dynamic.

“dodge roll”? like evade?

> 2533274805467041;13:
> How does thrusting overpower the traditional strafing? You can’t use your weapon while you are mid-thrust. I don’t see how that is more effective that strafing. Plus with all the spartan abilities as they are now you are already running very short on free buttons on your controller to execute them. You would need a fully customizable Scuf or Xbox Elite controller just to assign all the abilities to each button.
>
> Plus didn’t we have a dodge/roll ability when playing as Elites (Sanghelli) in Reach MP?

Traditional strafing has been reduced due to the slower base movement. I’ll provide you an example of how thruster is more effective than normal strafing in H5.

As you do your strafe, the opponent picks up on your movement pattern and starts to move the cursor to where you are going to go. Due to the slow movement, you can’t have the fast back and forth strafe as you did in H2 and 3. So you thrust the opposite way of the pattern you made the opponent think you would go. This throws off the person’s shot and you win the fight.

> 2533274805467041;13:
> How does thrusting overpower the traditional strafing? You can’t use your weapon while you are mid-thrust. I don’t see how that is more effective that strafing. Plus with all the spartan abilities as they are now you are already running very short on free buttons on your controller to execute them. You would need a fully customizable Scuf or Xbox Elite controller just to assign all the abilities to each button.
>
> Plus didn’t we have a dodge/roll ability when playing as Elites (Sanghelli) in Reach MP?

You can’t use your weapon while you thrust. However with the distance you gain as a result, it will allow you to sidestep the enemy’s aim, require them to re-adjust to your current location, and that will give you breathing room to bring the firefight back to an even level. Thrusting and popping off a shot afterwards is much more effective than strafing while popping off a shot, because at the end of the day, it’s about sustaining yourself in a fight. The thrusting gives you more time to shoot them in response, it gives you some good distance, and as a result, you’re enemy will pause shooting until their aim is on you again. So while you can’t shoot while thrusting, the thrust itself still gives you the breathing room to deal more damage within the time the enemy takes to finish readjusting their aim, so not being able to shoot WHILE thrusting isn’t an issue. You can more easily land your shots without taking damage AFTER a thrust. But with typical strafing, you’re constantly under fire and there’s no way to leave an opening with the enemy like you can with thrusters, so getting the damage in will simply be less convenient.

If you want, we can do a 1v1 within custom games, I’ll put unlimited thrusts. And during this match, you tell me what’s a more effective strategy, thrusting or strafing. You see, this is my point. The ONLY THING balancing out the thrusts is the recharge time. And the problem is, that’s not a matter of player strategy, because the player will only decide NOT to thrust during the times where they can’t thrust to begin with (when they already used it up). Balancing is much better done in a way so the players have to think for themselves, and makes choices based off analyzing the situation. But with the way things are, it’s best to thrust whenever you can during combat. Again, the only thing stopping you is the recharge.

I didn’t even say change buttons for anything except for stabilize. But you could simply assign that to double-tapping A. There’s no double jump in the game, so there’s room to map stablize to that button.

Also, there is a roll-type ability in Halo Reach. Evade. Armor Ability | Halo Alpha | Fandom

> 2535415903218588;15:
> “dodge roll”? like evade?

Similar concept. Just the overall distance/speed is tweaked, so normal strafing would still be useful.

That, and you know that small hop at the end of an evade? That would be removed. Perhaps players could leap by pressing A at the end of the roll.

> 2533274816788253;12:
> > 2535461821732932;10:
> > > 2533274816788253;9:
> > > How about NO MORE SPARTAN ABILITIES! Let’s make it more like H2A… have stuff as equipment and power ups on the field! Clearly all the gimmicks aren’t making Halo popular or maintaining population so take halo back to its roots.
> >
> >
> > Well, the difference here is that I would wish to maintain the feel of Classic Halo. In that it would have a similar style of pacing.
> >
> > The problem with Halo 5 really, is the pacing was an extremely heavy contrast to those of the classic games. Halo 1-3 always had a fairly slower pace which helped give it a very unique gameplay style for an arena shooter.
>
>
> H2A had a nice pace to it because they increased your base speed. H2A was awesome it’s sad we got such a cheap version of what it could have been

Halo 2 Anniversary had the same pace as classic Halo, actually.

People assume classic Halo to be so much slower and drawn out than it really is. The reason is that they imagine the base movement speed of Reach or Halo 5, the maximum speed they achieve while walking around in those games, which is pretty painfully slow. But what people forget, the classic Halo’s had their base speed a lot faster than the games which added sprint.

Halo 1 and Halo 2 were pretty fluid with the base movement. During Halo 3, it became a LITTLE more sluggish, but nothing drastic. Reach was noticeably slower than Halo 3. So it’s something that spiraled downhill over time.

Great post OP. I agree with most, if not all.
Ground pound is the only thing that needs to be removed from the franchise.
ADS and sprint, personally I’m undecided about. Think they still need work on.
Thruster is great and so is charge. I like eye idea of r roll/evade. I think that thruster should be hold b and roll should be double tap b. Alternatively, thruster could be jump then b.
Stabilizers, are good but the system annoys me. I like your idea double tap a. Would add another level of control.
Slide/clamber, I think work well.
Good post OP