Suggestions for improving on File Share/Browser

Back in Halo 3, with the initial release of Forge, custom maps were very heavily featured and much easier to find. You could go into your friend’s fileshare (much in the same way Halo 5 has), but there was a more dedicated menu for it which included Bungie’s highlights, top searched/downloaded, most shared, etc. It made it much easier to find new maps to play, as well as pushed out more maps that were good, but otherwise might not have received as much attention. Halo Reach did a similarly good job, however I feel like during the transition to 343 the sharing of Forge creations, videos, and screenshots were not given as much attention. I’d like to suggest a few ideas to improve the current File Share and File browser UI and system.

• New map updates to matchmaking are automatically added to your files and accessible in custom games. This would include custom maps that are included in the main playlists - Map Recommendation system: could be something as simple as a “like” or “dislike” (or a thumbs up/down), or could include more details, such as suggesting new tags for the map, or suggesting improvements. - A dedicated File Share Menu, which would include the following: - ++ Recent history: Maps you’ve just played show up here to be downloaded, up to the most recent 5-10 maps - ++ 343i Favorites: a frequently rotating list of maps/content that are suggested by 343i for their quality, originality, or just plain “fun factor” - ++ Most recommended: Top 5 maps that have been “liked”/recommended most in the last week/month - ++ Most downloaded: exactly as it sounds; which maps have been downloaded most in the last week/month - ++ Categories: Search by the following categories: - * Competitive Arena/Breakout maps: players could possible also specify recommended player count for the map - * New maps: Original maps not based on any previous map; particularly for maps based around a theme or concept - * Remakes: New versions of older maps, such as remakes of classic maps from Halos past, such as Headlong, Sandtrap, The Pit, Blood Gulch, etc. - * “Just for Fun”: sculpture creations, or maps that are not particularly for competitive gametypes but may be more akin to works of art. Classics such as “Jenga”, mazes, etc., the Dragon from Halo 3 would all fit in this category. - ++ Custom search: Search by name, creator, or categories such as - Halo Waypoint adaptation: Maps are searchable by name, supported gametypes, original map (map the new creation is forged on), as well as the previously mentioned categories. - ++ This would be a great place for more detailed feedback, such as a basic thread on each map, tags, suggested improvements, etc - ++ Maps could be selected here to be automatically downloaded when you login next (or downloaded immediately if your Xbox One is currently connected).
    Does anyone else have any suggestions regarding this? I’d love to hear opinions on this as well, whether there were aspects of File shares in previous Halos or other games that you think would improve the current File Share UI. The goal is to get more coverage on individual maps that might otherwise be ignored or not found because of fileshare limitations, or even the unfortunate cases where certain creators might be excluded from the forging communities.

Why don’t you have more likes on this topic ?

I am baffled by the fact that there has yet to surface a proper file share system, thought it would at least come out with forge, which in my opinion was just plain dumb it did not.
Besides, I have yet to hear any official news about a system being under development. As they keep adding more and more cool stuff to forge (which is great by the way). They do not really provide us with an easy way of sharing our created content.

To me it is kinda demotivating that it seems our only proper way of sharing are through hubs on the internet, Forgehub and such. While those websites are amazing, I can’t help but being a bit bothered by the fact that I have to add every person who created content in order to play it.

Additionally you don’t see the common forgers content on those websites nor YT channels like The Halo forge epidemic & Forge Labs, where I am a moderator.

> - ++ Most recommended: Top 5 maps that have been “liked”/recommended most in the last week/month - ++ Most downloaded: exactly as it sounds; which maps have been downloaded most in the last week/month - ++ Categories: Search by the following categories

These 3 are essential for a game like halo’s community to thrive. It was a feature I really loved about Halo 3.

343 has confirmed on Twitter a few times that they are working on a full file browser. No idea when it’s coming, but hopefully it will be included with the Memories of Reach update coming in the next few weeks.

This topic has been done since release.
Both the community and 343 are aware.

Hell… 343 has always had a severe issue with getting a proper file sharing system in place.
Look at Halo 4.

One improvement is to add file share first.

> 2533274843127097;2:
> Why don’t you have more likes on this topic ?
>
> I am baffled by the fact that there has yet to surface a proper file share system, thought it would at least come out with forge, which in my opinion was just plain dumb it did not.
> Besides, I have yet to hear any official news about a system being under development. As they keep adding more and more cool stuff to forge (which is great by the way). They do not really provide us with an easy way of sharing our created content.
>
> To me it is kinda demotivating that it seems our only proper way of sharing are through hubs on the internet, Forgehub and such. While those websites are amazing, I can’t help but being a bit bothered by the fact that I have to add every person who created content in order to play it.
>
> Additionally you don’t see the common forgers content on those websites nor YT channels like The Halo forge epidemic & Forge Labs, where I am a moderator.
>
>
>
>
> > - ++ Most recommended: Top 5 maps that have been “liked”/recommended most in the last week/month
> > - ++ Most downloaded: exactly as it sounds; which maps have been downloaded most in the last week/month
> > - ++ Categories: Search by the following categories
>
>
> These 3 are essential for a game like halo’s community to thrive. It was a feature I really loved about Halo 3.

Thanks man. I was just discussing with a coworker the other day how I’ve only once ever played a custom game, and that was because we were waiting for a friend to get out of his match. I’ve seen several good map ideas, but I’ve been bust lately and the game doesn’t make it easy for me to use the little time I have most weeks to find new maps and games to play.

> 2533274794242693;3:
> 343 has confirmed on Twitter a few times that they are working on a full file browser. No idea when it’s coming, but hopefully it will be included with the Memories of Reach update coming in the next few weeks.

Any chance you could link that if you can find it?

> 2533274860390817;5:
> One improvement is to add file share first.

There already is a file share system, but you must be following/friends with the person to access their maps.

> 2638492817417335;7:
> > 2533274794242693;3:
> > 343 has confirmed on Twitter a few times that they are working on a full file browser. No idea when it’s coming, but hopefully it will be included with the Memories of Reach update coming in the next few weeks.
>
>
> Any chance you could link that if you can find it?

From December 2015.Edit: Went live today I guess :slight_smile:

File Browser dropped today guys! Look under the Community Tab here on Waypoint!

Yup, lol. Just saw it. News article can be found here:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-waypoint-file-browser

I agree with everything.

I have only just started playing BTB again with the new maps, and really like the new forge map “Fracture”. But can not seem to find anyway to download this map to play. In previous Halo games, it was very simple to save the map and game type of each recent game played. But this feature seems to be missing in Halo 5.

Halo 3 and Reach did definitely have the best file sharing services.