Suggestion/Feedback regarding several Elite voices

Okay, so today I just tried out the new Arbiter DLC leader, and I was very happy with how he works, but the voice seemed a little off in some ways and it reminded me of something else I wanted to discuss, so I decided to knock both things out of the way here. The voices for both the Shipmaster and the Arbiter. They’re okay, but I think some things need to be addressed for both of them.

I’ll start with the base game first - the Shipmaster’s in-game voice is very hard to tell apart from that of a brute’s. Honestly, I always imagine a brute when I hear his voice. But it’s not because it’s unfitting for his character - I’ve read his backstory, it seems appropriate for his personality, so it’s not a casting issue. It’s a sound /effect/ issue. The Shipmaster’s voice, when actually playing him as a leader, severely lacks that “lizard lip” feel that elites have been given since the beginning of Halo - I don’t know quite how to describe the effect besides being “wobbly woobly sci fi alien”, a kind of echo. It’s done right for his appearance in the campaign during that one cinematic cutscene - so you have what ever kind of filter ready, but for some reason just didn’t use it for the guy’s voice when actually in game. I think he would sound much better in-game if you took his lines and put them through the same kind of voice filter used in the cinematic. It would make him definitely sound like how an Elite should.

With that out of the way - I’d like to explain what I meant for the Arbiter. He doesn’t sound like the same voice actor from the first game (though honestly I don’t know, he could be - maybe the guy’s voice just changed since). And that’s okay really, I mean I was really caught off guard with what you did with Captain Cutter’s voice, but as I played the campaign I realized the new guy you picked makes him a much more interesting and relatable character. The problem is I feel like you guys tried to do that to the Arbiter too, or maybe the actor wasn’t given enough direction.

Whoever the new voice actor is, he doesn’t sound bad - most of his lines are fine, but then there’s some that just absolutely break it for me and seem way out of character. It’s not a case of bad casting, but it seems like some of his line-takes should have been redone. This Arbiter is supposed to be very aggressive and temperamental - immensely narcissistic and reckless. But some of his lines feel very oddly spirited instead of spiteful. I can’t point out really which lines I’m talking about because it’s like one line for every three takes of whatever alert or notification leaders give - I.E There are usually three takes used for a leader when he tells you a building finished. Well, his third take always seems to be that “happy go lucky” voice that contradicts the unusually unruly and zealous crusader that he is supposed to be. I think he should sound angrier or more impatient than he currently does. Especially since he’s canonically dead - you know, dying kind of pisses people off.

The Arbiter’s actual hero unit is both the best and worst part of the voice acting though. He sounds pretty on-key for most of the things he says as a unit, but in just the few minutes of using him I noticed a lot of his combat sounds are just…hilarious. His “Hooohhhh!!!”, “MMMMMMMMMMMM”, “RAAAAAAWR” and “yaaaaaaaaaaah” sound like play-fighting. This is…bad. It’s really, really bad - the worst in the entire game. I feel like the same voice actor can do better too that’s the thing, you just gotta care a little more than that. So please, can we get this patched a little later?

And one final thing I’d like to add is more of a technical issue/suggestion. I don’t know how useful the new Phantoms should be for the Arbiter, but I really like the voice you got for this unit. It’s unique and interesting, but a little too quiet. I know he’s supposed to be a soft-spoken pilot, but I think it’s a volume issue. Every other unit in the game is almost twice as loud as he is. I think we should have the volume of the Phantom unit’s dialog turned up just a little bit to match up with the rest of the game.

I haven’t heard the arbiter yet, but I do agree that shipmaster’s in game leader voice needs a better filter. I think the elite rangers are a good example of well done elite voices. Hopefully they can update it in eventually.

Yeah, I’ve noticed weird voice things as well. I can’t think of any specific examples, but in my playtest skirmish match as Arbiter, I felt as though half the elite voices were like really bad, like they sounded like someone was doing really poor impressions of Keith David or Megatron during recording. It sound like that about half the time with the units (I built almost exclusively Arbiter unique units.)

Off topic, I’ve noticed the back and underside of the Phantom seem to be slightly untextured. Anyone else notice that?

I found the Arbiter’s voice in particular disappointing, I know the voice actor strike is going on but it doesn’t really sound like him.

> 2533275001759937;4:
> I found the Arbiter’s voice in particular disappointing, I know the voice actor strike is going on but it doesn’t really sound like him.

Voice actor strike? What’s this about? Are the actors hired by Creative Assembly mad because they’re not paid enough or something?

> 2533274822352116;5:
> > 2533275001759937;4:
> > I found the Arbiter’s voice in particular disappointing, I know the voice actor strike is going on but it doesn’t really sound like him.
>
> Voice actor strike? What’s this about? Are the actors hired by Creative Assembly mad because they’re not paid enough or something?

It was an industry wide thing.

> 2533274822352116;5:
> > 2533275001759937;4:
> > I found the Arbiter’s voice in particular disappointing, I know the voice actor strike is going on but it doesn’t really sound like him.
>
> Voice actor strike? What’s this about? Are the actors hired by Creative Assembly mad because they’re not paid enough or something?

Something about unions.

To OP- Most Elites have sounded like Brutes since 343 took over. It is a bit disappointing.

I must say, for Shipmaster’s case, I actually enjoy it a lot better than what we’ve gotten for most before this. It’s something different, not every elite should sound the same, I personally don’t actually imagine a brute at all when I hear him, you know what I imagine? I Imagine Reinhardt, haha!
Jokes aside, though, his voice has a straggly feel to it, it’s not Brute, it’s not Elite either though. I particularly see this weird side of things because I don’t see anyone arguing against the Brute’s voice for the Grunt Squad, it doesn’t really sound Brutal enough for that role, but it’s still cool!
It can apply strangely here as well because it will sound weird because it’s not what they sounded like for Halo 3, or Halo Reach, and that’s the thing, its not, and I’m glad they are paying attention to the fact not everyone of them should sound the same.
Shipmaster could use some tweaking, but he’s still a good voice for him, the Elite Grunt squads as well, I don’t think anyone can argue that they sound like brutes, they’re very scraggly and edited as well, they sound awesome as if they are talking over a walkie talkie, haha!

All of this was for Shipmaster However, the problem I have with Arbiter is that he already had a defined voice, we know what he sounds like, and even if 343 couldn’t get the absolute best voice actor, or even the original, it would be ok because they could edit the voice in a way that could make him sound like Old Arby. The problem is, it sounds like they recorded his lines and did little to no editing before putting him in as a leader. Shipmaster is a character we’ve never seen before, he’s new and so he gets a cool creativity pass, but Arbiter, he’s iconic, and he deserves a proper treatment, especially for something like voice acting, and elite voice editing!

Its not unacceptable, but it’s not really commendable either, I do think they should do a rerecording, or even go back and lower the pitch of his voice to say the least, and rerecord some of those strangely happy lines that he does. He’s not supposed to be happy! He’s supposed to be angry! All the time, haha!

> 2533275013567761;8:
> [everything he said]

Exactly. The Shipmaster’s voice actor isn’t poorly casted, I think it works just fine for him. Plus we’ve actually seen elites with similar voices before, hell the same guy may have been used before (look for a particular elite minor in one of the early cutscenes to the first Halo Wars, his line is “Heresy! Remove this filth!” before charging Sargent Forge.) My main problem is, during one of the cutscenes in the campaign they add that extra bit of umpf to the Shipmaster’s voice I was talking about, so canonically this character sounds different in the cutscene than he does in the actual multiplayer as a playable leader. So I’m hoping they can make him more consistent.

As you can see here for this brief appearance - these three lines he has, he has a little more of that “elite echo” that we’re used to in the Halo universe, but in-game he doesn’t go through this voice filter at all.

Spoilers, obviously. Don’t click the link if you haven’t seen the cutscene I’m talking about.

Speaking of Elite voices, does anyone else feel that the Elites that lead the Grunt squads sound WAY too Brute-ish? Too deep and gravely. The Enforcers, Ghost, and Rangers are all fine, but the Grunt squad ones just, well, irritate me.

The Shipmaster I’ve gotten used to, he wasn’t as a bad as I initially thought. However Ripa is a different story entirely. I’m not sure if his voice actor is on strike as well, I would guess so since even the voice actors for the main series are also on strike from what I’ve heard. the whole thing is quite big. I hope things change before DLC and support for Halo wars 2 ends, cause maybe they can be brought in for some work, Ripa Moramee needs his voice(johnson could have his lines rerecorded as well, although the stand in there actually did a reasonable job). Ripa Moramee sounds like they just brought some random person in with out any casting to get a close match.