Subvert Forge Maps Across All Playlists

I’ve been a die hard halo player since Combat Evolved. One of the reasons that I play halo and am a huge multiplayer enthusiast is because the maps are so unique, and ultimately are what creates a fun environment for combat.

Since the release of the map editor in Halo 3, there has been a MASSIVE increase in forge maps in matchmaking playlists, and NONE of them have ever contianed unique splash art in the pregame lobby. This is my first concern.

Second, I feel that the maps 343 worked hard on in Halo 4 are ultimately being undermined in the non DLC playlists. I estimate 1 in 3 games is likely played on a forge map with no unique splash art, no unique assets, and the same BORING terrain. Does anybody feel me on this? Now there are few exceptions.

LOCKOUT is a godsent map (although shutout is the most uncreative name i have ever heard) and should be kept in matchmaking because the most competitive players now were likely huge fans of halo 2. It is a cool remake (despite the fact that I have NEVER been able to pull off a crouch jump onto sniper tower - am I just noob?) yet I see HORRIBLE maps like scythe and dispatch played a lot more. Even the largest playlist (BTB) has been infected with the two base map and the spine on the side of the mountain - where ALL the fighting takes place.

I urge 343 and the community to vote on undermining (making forge maps less frequent) on matchmaking playlists, or simply creative a playlist or two that gives fans of these maps a haven. I paid for a lot of content on this game and I am hardly getting to play those maps against other players at all.

-Guiver

There is no need to have a second playlist purely for Forge maps, because it would split the populations which is honestly something Halo 4 DOESN’T need.

A majority of the forge maps created by the community are a lot better than the actual developer created maps, in terms of player spawns, weapon spawns and layout. Obviously it isn’t often that looks will win on a Forge map.

One of your arguments was Forge maps use the same boring environments, meanwhile when you’re playing any of the developer made maps, you are also just seeing the same boring environments.

This is me just slapping my opinion in here, but Lockout shouldn’t be in Slayer based playlists (team) at all, the spawns are simply unfair for the teams who spawn at elbow.

Forge maps should remain in the general playlists, if they are winning the votes on a common basis, then guess what? People like them!

I respectfully dismiss the notion that creative a forge map playlist will divide the community, there are many players who feel that;

A.) They don’t know which forge map variant they are about to play because they contain no unique splash art.

B.) They are not enthused by the blank panels that are used to build ALL of the structures on the maps

C.) They are weighed in matchmaking just as frequently as the maps designed by the professionals at 343 (remember, these guys are the rightful makers of the maps, NOT the community)

D.) Many forge maps lack proper professional endorsement of what constitutes a fun and balanced battle arena.

E.) You’re right about lockout, remove the elbow spawns.

> I respectfully dismiss the notion that creative a forge map playlist will divide the community, there are many players who feel that;
>
> A.) They don’t know which forge map variant they are about to play because they contain no unique splash art.
>
> B.) They are not enthused by the blank panels that are used to build ALL of the structures on the maps
>
> C.) They are weighed in matchmaking just as frequently as the maps designed by the professionals at 343 (remember, these guys are the rightful makers of the maps, NOT the community)
>
> D.) Many forge maps lack proper professional endorsement of what constitutes a fun and balanced battle arena.
>
> E.) You’re right about lockout, remove the elbow spawns.

While A is a good point, all it takes is for the player to play ONE game on it before they realize what the map is and where everything is.

This is easily to learn upon.

Same for B, the options for Forge are really limited and it was simply impossible to give us a straight up map creator for Halo 4. What we have now is great in terms of building and objects.

The point is, when you go back and play Haven for the second, third or even fourth time, it doesn’t change from the plain white colour it has always been, so I don’t see why players would prefer to play on Haven over a Forge map when technically, both of them look the exact same all the time.

As for C, I do agree that developer maps should be weighted a little more heavily than community created maps (There is actually going to be a change on Monday which guarantees an on-disc map always showing up in Slot A of the voting options for BTIS, IS & SWAT).

In terms of who are the ‘rightful makers of maps’, that’s just silly. Forge has gradually expanded into a map creator rather than a map editor. Hence why we have all these tools that make it easier to build maps such as Magnets, object duplication, etc. 343 & Certain Affinity can still make maps all they want, it doesn’t mean that from a competitive, heck even a casual standpoint that these maps are fun to play on and that they are a balanced in terms of player spawns, weapon spawns, etc because in a lot of cases, they are not.

Look at Exile, one team for the longest time had a Gauss hog spawn at their base which could instantly drive up to the Scorpion tank and destroy it before the driver could even move it. It was extremely unbalanced for the longest time and it took seven months to correct it.

Meanwhile you look at a lot of community made forge maps being added such as Simplex which has everyone starting off at a base which is symmetrical to the other teams. Both teams have an equal chance at getting the Overshield which spawns top middle, and the Sword which spawns bottom middle.

A map like Exile never had anything like that, one team would have an advantage over the other purely because they were randomly put on a team with the advantage.

As for D, this I completely disagree with and I’d pretty much be repeating what I said in my reply to C. The developers don’t always know best, Exile is a fine example of that.

Finally, E. Shutout’s elbow spawns aren’t the issue. It is the fact that one team spawns with the clear advantage in team based gametypes.

Lockout isn’t symmetrical and in my opinion shouldn’t be in a team-based playlist for Slayer, ever. Both teams should have an equal chance at getting the power weapons on the map. An obvious solution to this is to have for example, a Sniper Rifle spawn at the BR tower, as well as the actual Sniper tower, then both teams start off at an equal footing, but that won’t happen because Shutout is meant to be a remake of Lockout and Lockout didn’t have a Sniper Rifle spawn on BR tower.

You don’t understand what constitutes a good forger, do you? There’s no degree in forging. 343 certainly dropped the ball on the godawful Complex and Abandon.

Simplex, Confined, Rail, all better maps than most on disc maps. Clever forgers can pull off a good aesthetic vibe, too. I can, the guy who made Simplex can, just be more open to the community! Ender is the BEST map in Halo 4 so far.

They are here to stay. Deal with it.

EDIT: Your poll is biased. Where is “add more forge maps”?

Ok smarty pants lets not astray from the main issue here. Whether the maps that 343 created are good or not, it doesnt matter because we PAID for them. We are not getting to play the maps we PAID for. Instead, community members have been able to step into the spotlight (which is good!) but as a paying customer i shouldn’t have to be subjected to content that didn’t come with the game I bought. This is a matter of marketing principle. When you sell something information technology related, you are promising to sell something new and different, otherwise people won’t buy your product (unless you enjoy the cut and paste job that call of duty continues to pull off). I simply want to enjoy MORE OF the maps that I payed for. Not something someone cooked up in their basement.

> You don’t understand what constitutes a good forger, do you? There’s no degree in forging. 343 certainly dropped the ball on the godawful Complex and Abandon.
>
> Simplex, Confined, Rail, all better maps than most on disc maps. Clever forgers can pull off a good aesthetic vibe, too. I can, the guy who made Simplex can, just be more open to the community! Ender is the BEST map in Halo 4 so far.
>
> They are here to stay. Deal with it.
>
> EDIT: Your poll is biased. Where is “add more forge maps”?

Am I the only one who liked Abandon? At least when they made it spawning in the forest

> Ok smarty pants lets not astray from the main issue here. Whether the maps that 343 created are good or not, it doesnt matter because we PAID for them. We are not getting to play the maps we PAID for. Instead, community members have been able to step into the spotlight (which is good!) but as a paying customer i shouldn’t have to be subjected to content that didn’t come with the game I bought. This is a matter of marketing principle. When you sell something information technology related, you are promising to sell something new and different, otherwise people won’t buy your product (unless you enjoy the cut and paste job that call of duty continues to pull off). I simply want to enjoy MORE OF the maps that I payed for. Not something someone cooked up in their basement.

You paid for community content to be added to the game. You paid for free map functionality. Forge maps are what you paid for, as a game feature.

BTIS has no forge maps. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Halo 5 needs a map editor so that maps both look and play well.