Stupid Teammates Ruin Multiplayer

This is more of a rant than anything else. I realize this is a problem that will persist in more ways than one as long as Multiplayer exists in games.

I was playing a game of CTF on Ragnarok with a friend and we were in Party Chat. Game starts and I sort of look about to see what everyone’s doing. Nobody goes for the Mantis. So I figure I might as well get in it in case the enemy sneaks by and takes it themselves.

I take a defensive position behind our base and basically sit there and protect the flag. A Warthog rolls on by, I attack it and it gets destroyed. Someone tries sneaking into the base, I catch them and they die. Someone tries rushing me with a Plasma Pistol, I get off a rocket and they explode. Pretty simple stuff.

So I couldn’t understand why one of my teammates was shooting me and actively stopping at nothing to kill both me and the Mantis. I could tell he was saying stuff because of the little mic icon at the bottom of the screen but again, I was in Party Chat and had no real desire to leave it.

He was being such a nuisance I actually had to kill him, several times and it distracted me greatly when the enemy came knocking on our base door and took our flag. Finally, this guy succeeds and kills me and the Mantis.

Naturally, I’m a bit ticked off. So I go into Game Chat to confront him. A heads up to all of you; I suck at confrontation. I’m downright horrible at it. So I knew that this wasn’t going to be a good idea from the get-go. I join Game Chat and didn’t exactly calmly ask why he had gone so far out of his way, to the point where the enemy had stolen our flag, just to kill me.

He responds with the single most stupid thing I have ever heard in Halo. He tells me he went so far out of his way to kill me because all I was doing was hanging back at the base with the Mantis. He claimed I wasn’t contributing to our team. So I explain to him I was defending our flag. He points to the enemy team, who had just then scored our flag, and tells me sarcastically what a fine job I did. I tell him they wouldn’t have scored if I hadn’t needed to worry about my own teammate trying to kill me. And he goes right back to saying that he wouldn’t have been trying to kill me had I not been hanging back, effectively repeating his entire argument again.

It was that point I gave up, went back into Party Chat and proceeded to betray him multiple times with my friend, never once getting booted.

(This surprised me, legitimately. I must’ve betrayed this guy a dozen times in this one game and it only maybe once said I had actually betrayed him. Can anybody explain that?)

I honestly didn’t think they made stupid in that strong a flavor. The guy is all about bettering his team and he does so by betraying his team, effectively creating an opening for the enemy to strike.

Has anyone actually ever done this? You feel someone on your team isn’t doing a good job so you kill them for it, even if they might be doing something that actually is helpful? Like defending the flag or taking a vehicle/weapon you really wanted? It seems so pointless to me.

And yes, I’m being rather hypocrticial here. What I mean to say is that do you ever do it if unprovoked by another player?

Well you were playing with a friend, not a team. So you had no strategy and being in party chat didn’t help. So this guy was probably wondering wtf you were doing hanging back. So while you were defending, he doesn’t know this and gets pissed because he thinks your trying to up your k/d or gain a commendation.

Occasionally I’ll get cracked off at my whole team for being imbeciles and just rip them apart until they boot me, but usually no. And this hasn’t happened in H4… yet.

I was, unfortunately, aware that stupid came in Ultra-Strength dosage, but I suppose I mostly just ignore them and do my best despite them unless they seriously get on my nerves to the point where I feel morally obligated to kill them and violate the body.

I usually end up being that one guy that hangs back around the base with my PP/AR loadout in CTF, though for some reason I usually get swarmed by coordinated enemies. It’s a rare treat when I’m on the team that understands that the word ‘team’ implies working together in Objective, so I’ve avoided it for the most part. I probably haven’t given it a fair chance, but… this has been the case forever as far as I can tell.

I have yet to be betrayed for camping out at the flag with rockets or a shotgun, however I’ve not tried dedicated base defense in a vehicle. I might meet UltraStupid quickly if I do.

EDIT: Two sidenotes. One, if you want someone who’ll actually work towards the objective over mindlessly killing things, feel free to hit me up on Halo. And I apparently have the option to report my own posts, which is hilarious.

The dude’s a moron.

Edit: I think the betrayal system is kind of messed up in the game. I was betrayed twice in one game, by two different people each, but the game asked me if I wanted to boot the 2nd person who was an accident, but left the 1st guy alone who I knew was on purpose.

Happens all the time in big team slayer. Everytime I get the mantis, gauss warthog or tank, someone ALWAYS attacks me, rendering my vehicle useless and allowing the enemy to kill me and win the match. Hell, a few times I’ve been shot at for getting the highest score on my team, no vehicles or power weapons involved!

I was really hoping they’d turn off friendly fire in bigger matches, it’s almost impossible to work as a team with some people.

> Well you were playing with a friend, not a team. So you had no strategy and being in party chat didn’t help. So this guy was probably wondering wtf you were doing hanging back. So while you were defending, he doesn’t know this and gets pissed because he thinks your trying to up your k/d or gain a commendation.

if the guy knew how to play CTF he would know you never leave your flag un-attended. and if he watched the kill feed i would imagine he would know exactly what was going on.

you shouldnt have killed him. thats on you and i think you are the crappy teammate based on the above.

I’ll assume this hasn’t happened to you.

Let me clarify, some people on your team will kill you or shoot you to the point of immanent death (allowing the enemy an easy kill) Not only is this bad teamwork, it’s extremely frustrating.

These people refuse to listen to reason and I can see how it would be easy to lose your temper and kill him/her. (I try not to, but other lovely team members usually do it for me)

I laughed so -Yoinking!- hard at the OP, I’m not going to lie hahahaha!

> > Well you were playing with a friend, not a team. So you had no strategy and being in party chat didn’t help. So this guy was probably wondering wtf you were doing hanging back. So while you were defending, he doesn’t know this and gets pissed because he thinks your trying to up your k/d or gain a commendation.
>
> if the guy knew how to play CTF he would know you never leave your flag un-attended. and if he watched the kill feed i would imagine he would know exactly what was going on.

Maybe his way to play was different. Maybe his way to play was camping with invis and plasmas not a giant walking tank.

Yep. Just today I hop into a Banshee at the start of a BTB match on Ragnorok only to get shot down by my own Mantis when I was 3 feet above the ground. Somehow I didn’t die, which was weird.

Never really get teamkilled for taking a vehicle in btb, my main annoyance is how much teammates push you if they touch off you, all to often I’m backing away from a fight to recharge my shields and some dopey teammate will sprint into my back shoving me right out into an enemies view again, that pisses me off.

Why is there friendly fire on vehicles but not people? Everytime I get the Mantua my team mates destroy it. So their logic is “if I can’t have it no one can”. Irritatates me so much

Why are you camping the mantis??? I thought everyone on this forum just hates campers… And now they back you up. I would TK you if I saw you sitting in the back of the base not doing anything and not chatting in game with your team.

People are stupid in this game… grabbed the sniper at base on Ragnarok in big team slayer, used 8 shots from it and got 8 kills. 2 other people had mic’s on my team and one was stating i suck with the sniper and the other was telling me to drop it. After my 8 kills i turned around and one of them splatter me with a hog, and the other grabs the sniper. we lost the game because he used the remaining ammo, got 3 kills or 4, and then went back to the base and camped sniper spawn were he got more ammo, wasted the shots on a banshee and mantis and a couple people, camped again, and repeated the process. Im not a sniper hog, but if your teammate in the reason ur winning, best to let him keep doing what he’s doing… when i had the sniper we were ahead by a good 100 (in first 2-3 minutes of game) we eventually lost by more then 300.

> Why are you camping the mantis??? I thought everyone on this forum just hates campers… And now they back you up. I would TK you if I saw you sitting in the back of the base not doing anything and not chatting in game with your team.

First off, I wasn’t camping the Mantis spawn. I had gotten inside of the Mantis and was using it to defend our flag while the rest of our team rushed the enemy flag. Which would be why up until the other player started attacking me, the enemy hadn’t gotten our flag. I was doing quite well. Heck, at one point 2 guys came to get the flag on a Mongoose and actually ran away when they saw me in the Mantis behind the base.

See this is the problem with team killers; they never get facts straight and they’re always quick to assume. And they’ll never admit when they’re wrong.

> because all I was doing was hanging back at the base with the Mantis.

Never ever defend the flag, always go offense, if the enemy takes your flag you can kill them on the way back as you return to your flag, your teammate shot you because he was playing offence and since you didn’t help him capture the enemies flag he got ambushed by 3-5 people all alone, you can’t kill 3 people at once you simply can’t this is where teamwork comes in and why you should have been there helping him in the mantis. and i swear 80% of the people who use the mantis are noobs, i only use it to return it to the base so the enemy doesn’t take it then i blow it up. the mantis is the most unbalanced vehicle in halo history.

and i agree playing with randoms is dumb, people like you i mean who ruin CTF and people who lone wolf, you see if you split up the enemy has an advantage over you because everyone in this game goes together and you will get zerged bad. the problem with randoms is that they break away from the team often for no reason plus they fight in the dumbest spots in the game.

So you meant to say throwing people from all over the world together in a match without any consideration to latency and skill levels results in unenjoyable games?

Instead of blaming the players maybe you should blame the -Yoink- matchmaking system 343i created that uses little to no latency or skill checks.

> you shouldnt have killed him. thats on you and i think you are the crappy teammate based on the above.

all ive ever seen you post on this forum is stupid thoughtless posts like this, either you really are this dumb and are a perfect example of whats wrong with stupid people who play halo and stupid people on the forums. Or your a troll and your doing such a bad job no ones getting it anyway while your giggling to yourself thinking your so clever. Please leave and never come back

I think you were wrong to use the Mantis for defending the flag; that seems like a giant waste. The Mantis is best used to make an aggressive push across the map to pin the enemy at their base and take their flag. It’s much harder to take a flag than defend one, so logically, the most powerful tools at your team’s disposal should be turned to that task. It’s extremely frustrating to me when players don’t understand the importance of using vehicles to help their team. This guy was probably feeling the same way.

Having said that, I do think it was petty of him to keep pestering you. I guess you have to take it in stride.