- Stronger vehicles at last? -

Ok so I saw this post from frank o’connor and it made me so happy, a vehicle might last longer than 10 seconds :smiley:

Nice find, I always loved Halo’s vehicle combat. Gotta love Heavy game types on H3 BTB

That’s kind of cool if you like to play big team and what not. But since I’m not a big team fan, it doesn’t really affect me. Now only if they could do something about them AAs…

Finally, vechicals might actually protect you … rather it being an exposive Overshield.

> Finally, vechicals might actually protect you … rather it being an exposive Overshield.

Tsk tsk tsk… Vehicle are fine. I like dying from someone who shoot one of the wheel. It’s just so full of circular logic and space magic. Oh and exploding vehicle is a must too after 2 plasma pistol shot. (Over Exaggerate but well it is close)

Im even more excited for the fact that they are paying more attention to BTB maps. We have a small selection right now. (2 invasion style maps and forge maps)

Hm, vehicles aren’t all that weak. I’ve done more than my fair share of carnage with the Banshee,

> Hm, vehicles aren’t all that weak. I’ve done more than my fair share of carnage with the Banshee,

lul… The Banshee… lololololololololololololololololololol.

I rest my case.

Well the banshee was 6 shots I think it is, which is fine if someone like me has the sniper (someone who can’t use it at all) but when a good player has it then banshees are fun for all of 5 seconds

That’s pretty cool, but I still think vehicles were way overpowered in Halo 3. I hope either nobody has a vehicle, or everybody does. Spawning in BTB already in a vehicle would be good. Hemorrhage was the cancer of Reach, and Valhalla was the cancer of Halo 3. I hope they keep big, goofy vehicle maps in BTB, not that I have anything against BTB. I love BTB, and I like playing big goofy vehicle firefight games, but just not in 5v5 slayer. And being on foot in BTB is awful. I hope they make vehicles less of a threat to people not in them.

Big team battle has always been my favourite gametype. In Reach it felt so realistic with the graphics, probably the same for Halo 4. I’m going to be happy. They also will be focussing on much bigger environments as well.

Yeah I can’t wait to see what they have to offer for the big team battles. I would like to see a BTB game type that is just banshees or some other single manned vehicle and so you spawn in one and fly around a massive map the size of half of forge world

Good !!!

> Yeah I can’t wait to see what they have to offer for the big team battles. I would like to see a BTB game type that is just banshees or some other single manned vehicle and so you spawn in one and fly around a massive map the size of half of forge world

That sounds BAD / No thank’s

FINALLY. Evidence that 343 are moving away from Bungie’s way of thinking.

Fact #1: Sacrificing vehicle durability for power and/or speed was horrible balancing.

When I got in a Wraith in H3, it was because I felt protected. With sufficient cover and arcing shots, one can be a boss with the Wraith. Missile pods, lasers, rockets, EMP, they’re not that powerful. The worst threat was boarding. Then came Reach and I didn’t even have to play mp to know that the Wraith was a death trap.

Fact #2: Trying to extend the CE throwback to mp was improper. After all, vulnerable, destructible vehicles didn’t exist in CE’s mp, just the campaign.

On the other hand, vehicle health can be a blow when not implemented properly and it wasn’t implemented very well in Reach’s campaign either.

Reach would have been more fun without it.

> That’s pretty cool, but I still think vehicles were way overpowered in Halo 3.

The only vehicle that I had difficulty facing was the Scorpion.

> And being on foot in BTB is awful. I hope they make vehicles less of a threat to people not in them.

Vehicles are supposed to dominate, though their projectile speed should be toned down. Instead of limiting the firing rate with overheating (Reach turrets) or slow waiting time, make it so we have to lead our shots.

It’s just too bad Halo’s online mp is the source of making the projectiles faster and/or hitscan. Offline local matches are free of lag and registration issues so leading shots isn’t a problem.

However, it’s not too late to implement change to campaign vehicle combat.

Ever since H2, fighting vehicles on foot on higher difficulties is too dangerous.

Grenade stick-only challenges are now non-existent.

Also, vehicle lethality is the reason for Banshee AI nerfing. Banshees used to chase you around when you were on foot all the time. Now they just fly around and are easy targets for hijacking. CEA’s Installation 04’s Banshees are just there to be shot down.

With a slower projectile speed, they could be given aggressive AI again.

Love the talk about the focus on maps and vehicle play.

While snipers, etc…can take out vehicles in Reach they can also do major damage quickly. I know we’ve all gone on amazing tears with the vehicles.

Vehicles should NOT be a free killing spree. They were too vulnerable to DMR shots in Reach, but they were also way too strong in Halo 3. A better balance is to make them resistant to small arms fire again like in Halo 3 but make them much more vulnerable to grenades. That way there is a much more skillful method of countering vehicles for players on foot than simply dropping a bunch of power weapons. We should move AWAY from rock, paper, scissors and back towards counters that took skill to use.

A stuck warthog should always flip and dump its riders with shield damage. Similarly, any time a warthog flips due to an explosion, it should dump its occupants regardless of whether the hog lands upright.

The banshee bomb also needs rebalancing. It should either be removed, weakened in power, or changed to an EMP blast (which would better protect the banshee against other vehicles anyways and would be an interesting ability).

> Vehicles should NOT be a free killing spree. They were too vulnerable to DMR shots in Reach, but they were also way too strong in Halo 3. A better balance is to make them resistant to small arms fire again like in Halo 3 but make them much more vulnerable to grenades. That way there is a much more skillful method of countering vehicles for players on foot than simply dropping a bunch of power weapons. We should move AWAY from rock, paper, scissors and back towards counters that took skill to use.
>
> A stuck warthog should always flip and dump its riders with shield damage. Similarly, any time a warthog flips due to an explosion, it should dump its occupants regardless of whether the hog lands upright.
>
> The banshee bomb also needs rebalancing. It should either be removed, weakened in power, or changed to an EMP blast (which would better protect the banshee against other vehicles anyways and would be an interesting ability).

I know, some of these people expect a right to slaughter upon hopping in a vehicle. Small arms fire should do some damage to only lightly armoured vehicles. Snipers should be strong against non-heavily armoured vehicles.

> > Vehicles should NOT be a free killing spree. They were too vulnerable to DMR shots in Reach, but they were also way too strong in Halo 3. A better balance is to make them resistant to small arms fire again like in Halo 3 but make them much more vulnerable to grenades. That way there is a much more skillful method of countering vehicles for players on foot than simply dropping a bunch of power weapons. We should move AWAY from rock, paper, scissors and back towards counters that took skill to use.
> >
> > A stuck warthog should always flip and dump its riders with shield damage. Similarly, any time a warthog flips due to an explosion, it should dump its occupants regardless of whether the hog lands upright.
> >
> > The banshee bomb also needs rebalancing. It should either be removed, weakened in power, or changed to an EMP blast (which would better protect the banshee against other vehicles anyways and would be an interesting ability).
>
> I know, some of these people expect a right to slaughter upon hopping in a vehicle. Small arms fire should do some damage to only lightly armoured vehicles. Snipers should be strong against non-heavily armoured vehicles.

Ghost should also expose the driver’s head from the front. It should take a lot more damage to the vehicle itself to destroy it than currently in Reach, but skilled players would be able to shoot the driver in the head so he has to keep moving.

They are only weak when most of their team is shooting at you at once. The only bad thing about vehicles is they are basically weightless and will flip up going over a pebble.