Strange theory about the Flood’s place in Infinite

I’ve got this really dumb theory about how the Flood might play a part in Halo Infinite’s story. Been keeping quiet about it until now because of how outlandish it is, so please bear with me here.

In the game, the UNSC forces are depleted to a level where they stand no chance against the Banished and, presumably, Cortana. With the Infinity destroyed and only a handful of marines still left on Zeta Halo, Chief needs a plan to divert his enemies’ attention. Why not cause a small Flood outbreak? We already know the Forerunners keep a plethora of specimens on the rings. The Prometheans (I know they haven’t been revealed yet, but I can’t imagine 343 is going to throw them out entirely) may be under Cortana’s control, but their primary function is to destroy the Flood and likely have that as an override priority command. The Banished would need to focus their efforts on the parasite as well, considering they’re its primary food source now that they’ve defeated the humans. This could be absolutely legendary gameplay-wise, since Halo is known for its encounters with enemy AI fighting amongst themselves. How cool would it be to battle through three factions at once?

I know I probably sound crazy, but I really think something like this could work if done right.

I really like this idea.

As much as I like this idea, I doubt the Chief would willingly release the Flood unless it was the absolute last plan he can think of. Even more so if there are human survivors on the Halo ring. He wouldn’t repeat the alien’s continuous mistake (Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo Wars 2, etc).

> 2533274809226598;3:
> As much as I like this idea, I doubt the Chief would willingly release the Flood unless it was the absolute last plan he can think of. Even more so if there are human survivors on the Halo ring. He wouldn’t repeat the alien’s continuous mistake (Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo Wars 2, etc).

Good point! Maybe the outbreak could be accidental, sorta like CE’s infestation starting with the infamous ‘weapons cache’.

Chief would not be so foolish as to purposefully release the Flood. He would have no easy way of controlling the outbreak himself, and could easily grow too big too fast and then he’d have doomed the universe. I get some people really enjoy The Flood and want to see them in Infinite, but this would be a very contrived way of introducing them in Infinite.

I doubt it that would cause more problems than it would solve however if the chief can find the monitor and somehow talk him/her over to their side that would give an undeniable advantage over the banished.

> 2535444603778873;1:
> I’ve got this really dumb theory about how the Flood might play a part in Halo Infinite’s story. Been keeping quiet about it until now because of how outlandish it is, so please bear with me here.
>
> In the game, the UNSC forces are depleted to a level where they stand no chance against the Banished and, presumably, Cortana. With the Infinity destroyed and only a handful of marines still left on Zeta Halo, Chief needs a plan to divert his enemies’ attention. Why not cause a small Flood outbreak? We already know the Forerunners keep a plethora of specimens on the rings. The Prometheans (I know they haven’t been revealed yet, but I can’t imagine 343 is going to throw them out entirely) may be under Cortana’s control, but their primary function is to destroy the Flood and likely have that as an override priority command. The Banished would need to focus their efforts on the parasite as well, considering they’re its primary food source now that they’ve defeated the humans. This could be absolutely legendary gameplay-wise, since Halo is known for its encounters with enemy AI fighting amongst themselves. How cool would it be to battle through three factions at once?
>
> I know I probably sound crazy, but I really think something like this could work if done right.

Dude, the UNSC has been clearing house on Zeta since 2555.

> 2533274817408735;5:
> Chief would not be so foolish as to purposefully release the Flood. He would have no easy way of controlling the outbreak himself, and could easily grow too big too fast and then he’d have doomed the universe.

We’ve seen Sentinels contain Flood outbreaks within a small radius before, even without the assistance of a monitor. It’s not too far-fetched to think it could be done intentionally.

> 2533274868747146;6:
> however if the chief can find the monitor and somehow talk him/her over to their side that would give an undeniable advantage over the banished.

It would honestly be really cool to see some interaction between the monitor and Chief!

> 2535473223330139;7:
> Dude, the UNSC has been clearing house on Zeta since 2555.

?

> 2535444603778873;8:
> > 2533274817408735;5:
> >
>
>
>
> > 2535473223330139;7:
> > Dude, the UNSC has been clearing house on Zeta since 2555.
>
> ?

On November 28, 2553, a renowned scientist and historian named Luther Mann discovered the location of Zeta Halo through cross-referencing Forerunner architecture on the shield world Sarcophagus. ONI subsequently initiated the Zeta Halo project in 2555, sending a researcher detachment of approximately 300 scientists of multiple fields, including Mann and Henry Lamb, to study the Halo along with hundreds of automated probes to scan and map out the installation. While inspecting the ring’s custodial systems, Mann and Lamb discovered a Forerunner timer that they concluded was counting down to Installation 07’s activation in five weeks.[4] Similar countdowns were reported on the other installations of the Array. The galactic threat prompted the deployment of a joint UNSC-Sangheili detachment to Installation 00 in order to find a way to stop the activation.

> 2591580321307319;9:
> On November 28, 2553, a renowned scientist and historian named Luther Mann discovered the location of Zeta Halo through cross-referencing Forerunner architecture on the shield worldSarcophagus. ONI subsequently initiated the Zeta Halo project in 2555, sending a researcher detachment of approximately 300 scientists of multiple fields, including Mann and Henry Lamb, to study the Halo along with hundreds of automated probes to scan and map out the installation. While inspecting the ring’s custodial systems, Mann and Lamb discovered a Forerunner timer that they concluded was counting down to Installation 07’s activation in five weeks.[4] Similar countdowns were reported on the other installations of the Array. The galactic threat prompted the deployment of a joint UNSC-Sangheili detachment to Installation 00 in order to find a way to stop the activation.

Interesting! So they cleared out all of the Flood on Zeta Halo during that project?

This is an interesting idea, but I agree with the others that Chief wouldn’t release the flood, it is too great a risk. Someone else should do it, but who? Still, if it makes for more AI battles then I’m all for it! The recent Halo games have been rather lacking in AI battles, at least on the level of something like the Elites vs Flood battle on the mission Keyes (Halo CE).

What most of the people have already said, it’s very unlikely the chief and perhaps anyone with the knowledge of how detrimental the flood is would ever release them from a flood fore-runner installation.
Improved Idea:
Perhaps the lower ranking brutes as they aren’t the most intelligent or an accident could occur during an attack from the Banished that accidentally release the flood onto Zeta halo. Any use of large explosions, glassing, etc would attract Cortona and her guardians to the ring leaving Master Chief and the Banished the choice, do they use these large explosives to kill the flood but risk attracting Cortona and her guardians or fight them without these weapons of mass destruction?

Now I’m sure the 343’s story board have a much more effective, simple, and unique ideas than the one I just wrote but it’s always fun to write a possible story outcome.

> 2535444603778873;10:
> > 2591580321307319;9:
> > On November 28, 2553, a renowned scientist and historian named Luther Mann discovered the location of Zeta Halo through cross-referencing Forerunner architecture on the shield worldSarcophagus. ONI subsequently initiated the Zeta Halo project in 2555, sending a researcher detachment of approximately 300 scientists of multiple fields, including Mann and Henry Lamb, to study the Halo along with hundreds of automated probes to scan and map out the installation. While inspecting the ring’s custodial systems, Mann and Lamb discovered a Forerunner timer that they concluded was counting down to Installation 07’s activation in five weeks.[4] Similar countdowns were reported on the other installations of the Array. The galactic threat prompted the deployment of a joint UNSC-Sangheili detachment to Installation 00 in order to find a way to stop the activation.
>
> Interesting! So they cleared out all of the Flood on Zeta Halo during that project?

more like there were no flood to clear out. Just fields of inert spores and some specimens in stasis. Both of which the zeta project would be smart enough to leave alone.