Strafing

I just got back into Reach, and holy crap how the movement speed is so slow. I’ve been trying to strafe but it feels so slow and I am unable to shake my opponents aim. However I have seen people strafe so fast that it seems like lag, though I know that may be the case, I just wonder how they do so?

It really isn’t that slow. 2% difference really isn’t all that noticable.

Besides, you should be trying ducking and jumping to help throw them off. Also try circle strafing.

> It really isn’t that slow. 2% difference really isn’t all that noticable.
>
> Besides, you should be trying ducking and jumping to help throw them off.

Reach has the slowest movement acceleration of all the Halo games. The single shot weapons make it even easier to hit targets.

> It really isn’t that slow. 2% difference really isn’t all that noticable.
>
> Besides, you should be trying ducking and jumping to help throw them off. Also try circle strafing.

Acceleration makes a huge difference, though.

Strafe is only useful in campaign on Heroic and lower (on Legendary, projectile speed gets increased, making it like CE/H2) against Elites.

Elites have pretty predictable evasive patterns so you can mimic them. Best use of this is when you need to buy time for a shield recharge but don’t have available cover. The only Elites that are hard to dodge are dual wielders.

> However I have seen people strafe so fast that it seems like lag, though I know that may be the case, I just wonder how they do so?

It’s just lag.

When a person with a bad connection gets host potentially everyone in the game can lag strafe even if there’s nothing wrong with the off-host players connections.

Halo Reach is client authoritive so it doesn’t matter where you are on your screen but where you are on your opponents screen. Laggy players will be able to hit you after you make it to cover for a second or two as in their delayed game world you are still out in the open.

You might start strafing the second you see an opponent but in their game world they may have already scored a hit or two on you due to latency advantage to the host.

The slow movement acceleration in Reach makes strafing far less effective than earlier Halos and coutching is often more effective because you are a smaller target with reduce bloom so you can spam like a -Yoink!-.

Halo Reach has a tiny individual skillgap compared to previous Halos so if you want to improve play with the same people frequently to build up teamshot/work as teamwork>>>>>individual skill in Reach.