Strafing and air movment NEEDS to be fixed!

I’m sure many of us can see how fast you can strafe in Infinite. You practically lose no momentum going from left to right. In other Halos you are punished for poorly strafing. Infinite allows you to spam left and right without any punishment whatsoever. Also when you jump you can hold left or right on the stick and completely curve your jump where in other Halos you were more or less locked in the direction with minor directional influence. Jumping in Halo was for getting around the map. Jumping was not often used to dodge shots(if you were good at the game). You were punished by good players when you jumped. But now this encourages people to spam jump because they have a lot of directional influence. Advanced movement skill gap is lowered because of this and not in a good way.

3 Likes

On one hand I don’t like these changes either. But I fail to see how they lower the skill gap. If everyone is harder to hit, then you have to be better at aiming to him them. How does that lower the skill gap?

3 Likes

In no way does halo infinite encourage you to jump, you literally lose aim assist when you do. Jumping is bad, don’t do it.

5 Likes

To be fair. I said it lowers advances “movment” skill gap. Not aiming. There should be a punishment to jumping and spamming left right in your movement.

1 Like

What are you talking about? You don’t lose aim assist when you jump???

2 Likes

you don’t lose it completely but you have less aim assist when you jump

the fast strafing improves movement skill. no one wants to move like theyre stuck in mud anymore restricting their movement

1 Like

Speak for yourself. I like strafing inertia.

i speak for most people

You got a statistic, because I have doubts.

2 Likes

are you one of those people who cries proof all the time? most people love the gameplay. if you made strafing slower, people would notice, realise what they lost and these threads would flood.

No, but I’ve not heard very many people saying what you said. And you claim to speak for most people. Why don’t you just speak for yourself, because you’re not everyone. And a lot of people don’t feel the same.

And you claim people would realize what they’ve lost, but from what I see when Halo reverted a lot of the advanced movement from 5 to Infinite a lot of people seemed to like the final product. And having strafe enertia would make the game more in line with classic Halo, which a lot of people really like.

1 Like

Only a minority cared about halo 5 which is why everyone is not demanding for that stuff back. However a lot more love classic halo and theyre fine with the strafing otherwise they would all be complaining like you but theyre not. Also if we are talking about previous halo’s then halo infinites strafing is similar to halo 2 and not out of the ordinary.

take your own advice then, because how can you say a lot of people dont feel the same? unless youre referring to minuscule amount of people voicing their concerns.

Anyway, heres what happens when you make strafing slower. Instant slidiing then becomes too important and then you have a game where you need to constantly slide to get the best advantage. people like you will then complain about constant sliding to perform well and then that will get nerfed to be like halo 5. Then we end up with the most boring movement ever because you want realism in a game. its all about balance and halo infinites movement has got it while being interesting at the same time.

take your own advice then, because how can you say a lot of people dont feel the same? unless youre referring to minuscule amount of people voicing their concerns.

A lot is a smaller quantity than most. I’ve talked to a lot of people. I haven’t talked to most people.

Anyway, heres what happens when you make strafing slower. Instant slidiing then becomes too important and then you have a game where you need to constantly slide to get the best advantage. people like you will then complain about constant sliding to perform well and then that will get nerfed to be like halo 5. Then we end up with the most boring movement ever because you want realism in a game. its all about balance and halo infinites movement has got it while being interesting at the same time.

Did the first five Halo games (CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach) have the most boring movement ever? Because they didn’t have any of this advancement movement. I prefer those games. I’m not saying this game should change. I’m just saying you don’t speak for everyone. Some people prefer the older combat/movement.

1 Like

and i corrected myself to something more realistic and said most people.

Ive also heard a alot of peoples opinions over the last few months and they like the movement. I also seen very little complaints in comparison so most seem to like it. Is your word more important than mine?

classic halo’s movement was boring(people do like simplicity though and it was balanced). halo 2 had fast strafing. never really played it but i remember the halo 2 community not being impressed with the new changes in halo 3 as they felt it was not as interesting. halo infinite has made movement more interesting while remaining balanced which is impressive. halo infinite actually works without sprint and slide, im sure there will eventually be a playlist for you. maybe they will even add inertia.

Multiple videos online claim it. Pro level players claim it.

I also seen very little complaints in comparison so most seem to like it.

Have you checked the reddit threads about Infinites Inertia? A lot of complains there.

Is your word more important than mine?

You’re claiming most. I’m not. Logic would put the burden of proof on you. It’s not whose word is more important. We’re both just two people, I’d call us equals.

classic halo’s movement was boring(people do like simplicity though) but it was balanced. halo 2 had fast strafing. never really played it but i remember the halo 2 community not being impressed with the new changes in halo 3 as they felt it was not as interesting. halo infinite has made movement more interesting while remaining balanced which is impressive. halo infinite actually works without sprint and slide, im sure there will eventually be a playlist for you. maybe they will even add inertia.

All of the games including four had near linear strafe velocity. The strafe acceleration is near the same in 2 & 3. In Halo 2 there is a bit less inertia, but the acceleration is slowed a bit for a moment when you change speeds. There is data to back this up:

(h)ttps://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/1d741c/why_the_strafes_throughout_the_series_feel_so/

Check the actual curves of the data. You’ll see the near linear velocity and near parabolic displacement. All of these games are similar, but not exactly the same strafe acceleration. All are very different than Infinite.

A lot of people prefer Halo 3. A lot of people prefer the classic Halo movement. None were that close to Infinite. And I don’t think Infinite has better. I don’t think Classic Halo had boring movement. I think you had to rely on other tactics in combat, which isn’t a bad thing, just different.

While I dont have proof, my conclusion based on what i see people think about the game over the past few months compared to those who have problems is worth taking into consideration, its not hard to help but feel most people like the strafing. The small amount of people complaining dont understand the domino effects of how inertia would make the sliding too important that it would become annoying(like destiny 2) and then that would need to be nerfed too to satisfy those people. Its all about balance. the best infinite can do is create a classic playlist for people who want a more simpler version instead of bastardizing the updated version.

halo 2 had inertia but it was pretty close to non existent that it might as well not be there.

Here is a bunch of people on the Halo subreddit talking about it:

(h)ttps://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/px6829/strafing_definitely_needs_a_bit_of_inertia/

People on the subreddit seem more against the strafe acceleration in this game. Talk to the people there. There’s a lot of them, and a lot of them don’t like it.

And did you check the data? Halo 2 had a decent amount of strafe inertia. The average speed is only slightly faster than Halo 3. And the decrease in inertia is somewhat tamed by a delay to acceleratation after you change directions. You can see in the chart where the first segment of the piecewise graph for the velocity in Halo 2 after the change in direction had a smaller slope. More so than in the graph for Halo 3. This makes the initial change of direction a little smoother, but had the effect that the average speed really isn’t that different between the two, which is why the displacement graphs look almost the same.

I also have doubts it would have the impact on sliding you’re talking about. As mid combat to initiate the slide you’d have to sacrifice being able to shoot to initiate a Sprint. And you have less control over change in direction during sliding. But again, I’m not saying it should change in Infinite, just that I prefer the classic movement.

Edit: Another thing to consider is that previous games where console only. And it’s a bit harder to mash the joystick back and forth instantly than it is to mash A->D->A->D.

all i know is, halo 3 feels like mud, halo 2 doesnt. out of alll the halo games, infinite feels the most freeing like i can do anything. its not instant either, it takes time to move the stick or press a button which is why it feels closer to halo 2. i know this because of the bots, their strafing is weird compared to real people.

i found an interesting comment in that thread

"I’ve played a lot of shooters over the years, many with movement like this and once you learn how to play the game it tends to make for good gameplay.

If what you say is what people want, I at least hope a fun and skillful balance is found where the strafe is still good because a good (fast) strafe is one of the most exciting things about the game for me. I think that newschool Halo should have a snappier strafe and if this is on purpose I think they’re on to something ─ hopefully they don’t backpedal too far though."

he also mentions in another comment how its not about being able to land everyshot but making your opponent miss more. its about spotting your opponents movement pattern while trying to make your own movement pattern more unpredictable. mashing strafing is not going to get you far because thats generally predictable and you will easily be outplayed. Inertia in halo 3 at high level play meant no one really missed at close range, the movement was too predictable and projectiles stop being projectiles at close range which made battles a bit stale unless far away.

ADAD and stick movement arent too dissimilar but mk and controller will always have their pros and cons.