Strafe Acceleration

Can we get rid of this please? 343 have really listened to the community and have enabled classic gameplay elements in Reach.

We want to strafe!

<343

Agreed. This is probably my biggest complaint with reach now that there’s a zero bloom gametype.

let me get this straight… you want slower strafe speeds?

> let me get this straight… you want slower strafe speeds?

No, removing acceleration would make it so as soon as you start moving you’re at top speed.

:DDDDD YESSSS
Can we have an option to remove turn acceleration as well? Thanks:)

> No, removing acceleration would make it so as soon as you start moving you’re at top speed.

A less confusing word choice would be “inertia” rather than “acceleration” – the Spartan is resisting a change to its (lack of) momentum, with the resistance being proportional to its mass.

EDIT:

> :DDDDD YESSSS
> Can we have an option to remove turn acceleration as well? Thanks:)

“Inertia” would cover this as well. Chances are, changing the Spartan physics to remove strafe inertia when beginning movement would also remove strafe inertia when changing direction.

But i dont want to play quake arena ;_;

there are two big reasons why strafing sucks in this game.

1. armor abilities like sprint forced bungie to make default movement speeds real slow. we literally move like slugs without sprint.
  2. like the op said, acceleration. thats y h1 and h2 had good strafes.

also the hitboxes are huge which makes aimming a lot easier.

We can talk about the semantics of it all day but I think we all know what he means…

In any case, I agree completely. Although it might make sense from a “realism” aspect, it’s just a hindrance to gameplay.

No3z itz n0t reelizt1k

> Can we get rid of this please? 343 have really listened to the community and have enabled classic gameplay elements in Reach.
>
> We want to strafe!
>
> <343

No we don’t. Strafing, IMO of course, makes for absolutely terrible gameplay by allowing the very epitome of spastic actions to have some meaningful effect on what should be a considered and strategic affair. If I wanted mindless side stepping, I would have taken up line dancing. But as I’m playing a shooter, I want tactical advantage and superior gunplay, not dandy footwork (there is a very distinct difference), to decide combat.

> > Can we get rid of this please? 343 have really listened to the community and have enabled classic gameplay elements in Reach.
> >
> > We want to strafe!
> >
> > <343
>
> No we don’t. Strafing, IMO of course, makes for absolutely terrible gameplay by allowing the very epitome of spastic actions to have some meaningful effect on what should be a considered and strategic affair. If I wanted mindless side stepping, I would have taken up line dancing. But as I’m playing a shooter, I want tactical advantage and superior gunplay, not dandy footwork (there is a very distinct difference), to decide combat.

utrollin?

> > > Can we get rid of this please? 343 have really listened to the community and have enabled classic gameplay elements in Reach.
> > >
> > > We want to strafe!
> > >
> > > <343
> >
> > No we don’t. Strafing, IMO of course, makes for absolutely terrible gameplay by allowing the very epitome of spastic actions to have some meaningful effect on what should be a considered and strategic affair. If I wanted mindless side stepping, I would have taken up line dancing. But as I’m playing a shooter, I want tactical advantage and superior gunplay, not dandy footwork (there is a very distinct difference), to decide combat.
>
> utrollin?

He must be . I put the words in bold that lead me to believe he doesn’t understand the point of strafing .

strafing in halo 2/3 brought a whole new skill to the gameplay. it was good for halo, look at the populations during the height of halo 3. it was extremely popular. bring that strategy back i say

> > Can we get rid of this please? 343 have really listened to the community and have enabled classic gameplay elements in Reach.
> >
> > We want to strafe!
> >
> > <343
>
> No we don’t. Strafing, IMO of course, makes for absolutely terrible gameplay by allowing the very epitome of spastic actions to have some meaningful effect on what should be a considered and strategic affair. If I wanted mindless side stepping, I would have taken up line dancing. But as I’m playing a shooter, I want tactical advantage and superior gunplay, not dandy footwork (there is a very distinct difference), to decide combat.

So you want everyone to either run in a straight line towards you or stop moving every time they shoot? Because strafing brings majority of the aiming skill into the game that is currently required. Strafing is also a skill in itself. If you really can’t shoot someone who is strafing, I propose learning to aim better instead of complaining.

Halo has never been and never will be a strategic shooter. In it’s core Halo will always be an arena shooter where strafing is a major skill. If you want strategic shooting there are plenty of FPS games with very high emphasis on strategy. Halo isn’t one of these games.

Agree with OP

> >
> > We want to strafe!
> >
> > <343
>

Why wouldn’t you want "tactical advantage, superior gunplay, AND dandy footwork to decide combat?

Your comment seems to imply that they can’t coexist.

> We can talk about the semantics of it all day but I think we all know what he means…

It wasn’t my intention to raise semantics in an attempt to refute the OP; sorry if that’s how it seemed. I just mentioned it because I literally had no idea what he meant until I read one of the posts prior to mine and realized he was talking about inertia, and I figured that others may have the same confusion.

> But i dont want to play quake arena ;_;

Quake Arena, and all the Halos have what you guys call “strafe acceleration”. It just seems to take longer to reach your top speed in Reach now than it did in H1/2/3. Though, I’m not sure this is entirely true… I have a feeling Reach’s aim assist plays a huge part in strafing being less effective now. Bungie were tooting their own horn saying how complicated their aim assist code is and how they were the first to implement some kind of aim assist for when people were circle strafing.

> >
> > We want to strafe!
> >
> > <343
>

Strafing is not mindless. A considered strafe is an effective strafe, unless you’re playing Reach.
If you played halo at a competitive level you would understand.