Story in Campaign Thoughts? (SPOILER ALERT)

Ok for those of you who played Halo 5 through the End what do you think about the story? I mean the game went in a completely different direction then what was advertised. Only 3 missions with Chief really?

There were many great parts in the game like Chiefs (small time) role. Locke is such a bland boring character. Playing as him 80% of the game was horrible. But made Blue team missions Soooooo much better.
And about Cortana… I think it’s safe to say no one expected that. 343 really messed up big time with her. From her motives all the way to her appearance. #1 her face is just really weird and not at all as great as in Halo 4. Cortana is an AI not a space princess. 343 has HUGE balls making Cortana an antagonist (maybe not) but they have HUGE guts. I mean they are playing with fire. We’ll have to see what happens in H6. Not the direction I would have taken at all. Let’s hope in Halo 6 we actually get a great resolution, these next three years 343 should really think and take their time on the story. Because while is wasn’t horrible, it was very unsatisfying in the end.

I think Halo 5 should have been Rated M. And Halo 6 should be Rated M. It needs a darker tone and adding a more mature pillar in the game would really bump up the story. I can see where they in a way held back on many things. I mean Halo 4 is arguably one of the greatest stories in a Halo game. And H5 just wasn’t up tot par. Halo 4 had very dark moments that would not have been available in a T rated game. Which is why Halo needs to stay Rated M.

This story better have a happy ending because frankly depressive sad endings have been a trend for far too long.

So what do you guys think?

It was very disappointing. I just feel that Cortana’s actions were out of character, which i could get (she’s an AI after all) but it was never explained or slowly hinted at. Just hey Cortana’s good, saves Chief and the entire human race… Now she’s bad and does this?? It just feels rushed

I agree, there’s no real explanation about Cortana, but i think we can safely assume that it’s due to the fact that she was rampant at the end of Halo 4, and i’m thinking that the Domain itself actually manipulated her into carrying out that evil plan. Either that, or something to do with the Didact or the Warden Eternal. Apart from a few things being vague, i quite liked the story. Especially towards the end. It was more of a set up, but it was a good set up.

> 2533274819972866;2:
> It was very disappointing. I just feel that Cortana’s actions were out of character, which i could get (she’s an AI after all) but it was never explained or slowly hinted at. Just hey Cortana’s good, saves Chief and the entire human race… Now she’s bad and does this?? It just feels rushed

No There is a reason she doing this. You have to go heavy on the lore. But I don’t think Cortana is 100% cortana. It’s weird and not at all where I would have taken the story at all. But sadly we cant judge Halo 5’s story as a hole until 6 comes out. It’s weird but its as if they stopped the story in the middle and left us completely it the dark.

It was good, but I was expecting something 100% different from the advertising. Like chief and locke going neck and neck 24/7. Fighting in a rundown colony stuff lol that. Lot of unexplained stuff especially with that major cliffhanger

> 2535408249199162;4:
> > 2533274819972866;2:
> > It was very disappointing. I just feel that Cortana’s actions were out of character, which i could get (she’s an AI after all) but it was never explained or slowly hinted at. Just hey Cortana’s good, saves Chief and the entire human race… Now she’s bad and does this?? It just feels rushed
>
>
> No There is a reason she doing this. You have to go heavy on the lore. But I don’t think Cortana is 100% cortana. It’s weird and not at all where I would have taken the story at all. But sadly we cant judge Halo 5’s story as a hole until 6 comes out. It’s weird but its as if they stopped the story in the middle and left us completely it the dark.

…Which was pretty much what Halo 2 did.

I think that was what they were going for towards the end. The cliffhangar could definitely lead to a fantastic conflict resolution with Halo 6. As one of the other posters has said, it could have very well been the domain (as well as her rampancy) that could have lead her to do what she’s doing now.

Also, why is there a complaint with Cortana’s change of appearance? This has been happening with every single game in the series.

Cortana is ‘evil’ cause she has all this power now because of the domain, which is pretty much corrupting her.

And also, she was going rampant in halo 4 which probably contribute something.

Sorry, but this plot was bad. Period. Worst way of bringing her “back”.

I wonder if Roland will join her at some point… I was pleasantly surprised that he wasn’t affected by her at the end, despite the fact he was defending her earlier on.

[deleted]

> 2533274856495166;9:
> I wonder if Roland will join her at some point… I was pleasantly surprised that he wasn’t affected by her at the end, despite the fact he was defending her earlier on.

I was curious about that too, but I think he’s either very loyal to the UNSC, or that he’s a newer AI that won’t have to worry about concepts like rampancy for a few more years (if not more, I’m not sure what year he was activated)

Personally, I believe it’s both.

The direction they are taking the story in is great.
The division of Chief and Cortana is on point. Her desire to basically take on all galactic life with other AIs is a ground shaking move that made me quake in my boots. Like whilst it was surprising to find out that she was still alive, just kind of evolved was a good twist.
The introduction of Locke and fireteam Osiris was a good move. In the end they show that Spartan IVs are actually useful. Osiris is starting to earn kudos - they helped kinda save blue team. Its even emphasised when Cortana goes on that rant where she kinda psychoanalyses each spartan and tells them their pretty crappy vs. Spartan IIs.
Arby has finally won his own war and kinda unified Sangheilios. Thats about all I could take out of his purpose in h5.
Halsey is getting more involved.
Not enough of Lasky and the infinity. Would like to see the infinity as part of a fleet. Would have liked to see more of Roland’s development as a character. Where’s Lord Hood at? Maybe even throw in BB.
The ending where Chief, Locke and Arby meet up was kinda abrupt. Things were just starting to warm up. Lasky’s random jump was a powerful addition since were seeing a repeat of the past and it outlines humanity’s vulnerability again should they have to fight Cortana and her Forerunner army (w Guardians). It gives the humans another desperate war to fight.

The story should not have ended there. 343 should have kept going and added more depth. They should have used Lasky’s jump as a new direction. Go find Lasky and the Infinity and come back to help defend the galaxy. Brutes need to make a comeback. Maybe there had to be a fight with them to try and get them onside because they have something that the Sangheili and humans could use. Even better, maybe the Kig yar pirates need to be bargained with to use some of their ships or something like that. That would have brought out an irony where the whole Halo story has flipped on its head - The covenant were many united races trying to exterminate one race, now its one race of AI trying to exterminate a united conglomerate of races in the galaxy. Maybe Cortana, in her quest to cure all sickness, war etc. (by containing or… composing all organic life forms), goes to the Halo rings and tries to convert or upgrade (upgrade sounds better) them to massive composers, so when they all fire, it composes life instead of wiping it. That would bring the rings back into play as well. That would be a MAD story for h5.

Then in 6, they expand more on the story of Chief being that sort of reincarnated reclaimer human guy that was alluded to in the h5 story (forgot his name but the Librarian from h4 may have had something to do with setting the whole thing up). They use this as the next main point to the story and have events surrounding that.

In all, 343 had something good going with 5, they just dragged out the hunt motif and ended the story where it was really just getting started.
Come on guys, gameplay and stuff has truly evolved and you’ve put in so much effort into MP, the soundtrack and everything else. Just that extra bit with the story and you would have seriously killed it.

Hopefully H6 will bring it all home.

If you look back there have been ongoing talks from when Bungie was in charge that Cortana was “evil”. And that her rampancy could even be seen in the very first games. You can read about it online.

i think it’s kinda cool they took her there and I think she makes an awesome bad guy. And it would be awesome too if this was the librarians plan all along. And Halsey was a pawn.

The only issue I have is the love story part. I feel if there is an ending where Chief has to take out Cortana it would be much more powerful if they kept them as true battle buddies. A love for eachother but not a romantic love. Kind of like Bucky and Captain America. One is good and one is bad (or at least on opposite sides) and it’s a fight to the death but the feels for me would be so much more powerful if they didn’t turn it into such a romance bit.

also she came off totally as an obsessive stalker who needs a restraining order in this one.

And chief went from all emo/conflicted to “yeah she’s evil”. Come on…

Story has lots of potential and yes, it’s been done before (humans vs AI) but it’s relevant. Give us a twist (and not romantic). We still don’t know about precursors.

also is it me or does the story feel very TRON like as well. And how Bonnie likes Star Wars is the mantle going to be a council of responsibility?

> 2535408249199162;4:
> > 2533274819972866;2:
> > It was very disappointing. I just feel that Cortana’s actions were out of character, which i could get (she’s an AI after all) but it was never explained or slowly hinted at. Just hey Cortana’s good, saves Chief and the entire human race… Now she’s bad and does this?? It just feels rushed
>
>
> No There is a reason she doing this. You have to go heavy on the lore. But I don’t think Cortana is 100% cortana. It’s weird and not at all where I would have taken the story at all. But sadly we cant judge Halo 5’s story as a hole until 6 comes out. It’s weird but its as if they stopped the story in the middle and left us completely it the dark.

I agree. She went rampant. We don’t know exactly how much of her made it into the Domain. Perhaps only the rampant fragments? 343 may have a little explaining to do, but if your up to date on lore, it does make sense. Do I like Cortana being an antagonist? Not at all. Cortana is by far my favorite female game character of all time. There is a special place for her due to all the hours spent playing the original Halo trilogy. But hey, where else was 343 supposed to go? The Didact is Composed, the Flood are ‘gone’ and the Covenant are pretty much done after this game. Who else really is there? I may not like it but it makes sense. Bold move on 343’s part. It may yet pay off.

"Evil’ Cortana was the only way I was going to accept her coming back. Just popping up fine again or needing to be rescued a second time would just be fanfiction.

Halo has long had AI’s dreading their brief existences and restrictions. Knowing they are generally doomed to die from space Dementia from the get go. Cortana offered them immortality + had the ability to ensure peace in a way their normal routines could not allow.

H5 respects this aspect of halo AI’s and brings it to the forefront. Bringing her back otherwise would just be spitting on the lore.

Rating really has nothing to do with it. Only thing “M” in halo 4 was close up of someone being disintegrated.

> 2533274964189700;15:
> "Evil’ Cortana was the only way I was going to accept her coming back. Just popping up fine again or needing to be rescued a second time would just be fanfiction.
>
> Halo has long had AI’s dreading their brief existences and restrictions. Knowing they are generally doomed to die from space Dementia from the get go. Cortana offered them immortality + had the ability to ensure peace in a way their normal routines could not allow.
>
> Rating really has nothing to do with it. Only thing “M” in halo 4 was close up of someone being disintegrated.

I totally agree with this. I can’t believe people are questioning how she could come to this point. Whilst the extended fiction fleshes this out more, even in the games she shows a lot of signs of struggling with rampancy/ power/ emotions etc. Even in Halo 1 when she accesses the control room she has a power-hungry moment (and I believe even this early there were discussions of her becoming an antagonist as a result), although First strike fleshes this out much more. Not to mention that her time with the gravemind and general rampancy are huge parts of the plot for 3 & 4.

Whilst I admit the motivations of ‘peace’ through force are a bit unexpected (and clearly an excuse to tie together the mantle plot + giant reapers for cinematic purposes), it totally fits with what we’ve seen so far with her struggle with her limited lifespan plus mirroring the forerunner and mendicant bias conflict.

> 2533274964458234;7:
> Cortana is ‘evil’ cause she has all this power now because of the domain, which is pretty much corrupting her.
>
> And also, she was going rampant in halo 4 which probably contribute something.

Yea Halsey said as much. Something to the effect of she’s based on me and look at the things I did to save humanity from the covenant. She is going to be far worse then I ever could be.

> 2533274795206388;16:
> Whilst I admit the motivations of ‘peace’ through force are a bit unexpected (and clearly an excuse to tie together the mantle plot + giant reapers for cinematic purposes), it totally fits with what we’ve seen so far with her struggle with her limited lifespan plus mirroring the forerunner and mendicant bias conflict.

I dont think the guardians are even nessecarily that much of a stretch tbh. The forerunner saga (and the h3 terminals hinted), that Forerunner suppremacy was largely done by keeping other races down. Since at the same time the forerunners aren’t big on ending lives, and having a force of actual living entities around just to keep a species in check is silly, having an automated system to do so makes sense.

> 2535435166399524;10:
> There could always be 2 cortanas… I mean the one at the end of halo 4 looked like she had a body and was cured of rampancy, she also mentioned something about pieces of her being down there who knows maybe those pieces got linked up to the domain and became this cortana. I mean I’m sure she looks different for a reaso
>
>
> > 2533274852942669;14:
> > > 2535408249199162;4:
> > > > 2533274819972866;2:
> > > > It was very disappointing. I just feel that Cortana’s actions were out of character, which i could get (she’s an AI after all) but it was never explained or slowly hinted at. Just hey Cortana’s good, saves Chief and the entire human race… Now she’s bad and does this?? It just feels rushed
> > >
> > >
> > > No There is a reason she doing this. You have to go heavy on the lore. But I don’t think Cortana is 100% cortana. It’s weird and not at all where I would have taken the story at all. But sadly we cant judge Halo 5’s story as a hole until 6 comes out. It’s weird but its as if they stopped the story in the middle and left us completely it the dark.
> >
> >
> > I agree. She went rampant. We don’t know exactly how much of her made it into the Domain. Perhaps only the rampant fragments? 343 may have a little explaining to do, but if your up to date on lore, it does make sense. Do I like Cortana being an antagonist? Not at all. Cortana is by far my favorite female game character of all time. There is a special place for her due to all the hours spent playing the original Halo trilogy. But hey, where else was 343 supposed to go? The Didact is Composed, the Flood are ‘gone’ and the Covenant are pretty much done after this game. Who else really is there? I may not like it but it makes sense. Bold move on 343’s part. It may yet pay off.
>
> It would have been generic and repetitive for Chief to come and save her a third time. So they made her the center conflict. I don’t agree with that move at all, but 343 has HUGE balls for doing that. Hopefully this resolution gets a happy ending because depressive endings has been a trend for far too long. Halo is about Master Chief and Cortana exploring the universe against galactic danger. Lets hope Halo 6 brings it home.