Story behind Chief's new armor?

So can someone tell my why Chief’s armor is different from the original Mark VI we have seen in H2 and H3? I Was looking forward Halo 4 explaining it for me but it never got mentioned why it looks so drastically different. Was it RETCON’ed? From my opinion of watching the prologue. Or does it just come down to 343i wanting to do something different? The only thing I heard off game is Cortana used Nanobots.

Cortana says it in the game when you are first waking up…

“I updated your suits firmware”

She did use nanobots to do it. The main point is she had nearly 5 years to do nothing but think. So, she updated John’s armor.

Here you go bud.

> Cortana says it in the game when you are first waking up…
>
> “I updated your suits firmware”
>
> She did use nanobots to do it. The main point is she had nearly 5 years to do nothing but think. So, she updated John’s armor.

A firmware update explains the new HUD, but firmware is not physical so it doesn’t explain the altered armors appearance. The Campaign itself makes no mention of the change to the armor, Cortana or the Chief do not mention the physical change whatsoever. Personally I think it is artistic license alongside the altered Forward Unto Dawn and the altered UNSC logo etc.

I know Frankie said that “nanobots did it” and I understand that nanotechnology exists in the Halo universe but the facts are that there has never been mention of Mk VI having nanotechnology and the Campaign does not mention it. I suspect that Frankie shouldn’t have mentioned nanobots and that he will eventually withdraw that explanation.

I’d really like to know what the relationship between Mk VII armor and the Spartan-IV GEN2 armor is though, we know that Mk VII has nanotechnology and I’d really like to know if the Infinity GEN2 stuff has nanotech as well.

> > Cortana says it in the game when you are first waking up…
> >
> > “I updated your suits firmware”
> >
> > She did use nanobots to do it. The main point is she had nearly 5 years to do nothing but think. So, she updated John’s armor.
>
> A firmware update explains the new HUD, but firmware is not physical so it doesn’t explain the altered armors appearance. The Campaign itself makes no mention of the change to the armor, Cortana or the Chief do not mention the physical change whatsoever. Personally I think it is artistic license alongside the altered Forward Unto Dawn and the altered UNSC logo etc.
>
> I know Frankie said that “nanobots did it” and I understand that nanotechnology exists in the Halo universe but the facts are that there has never been mention of Mk VI having nanotechnology and the Campaign does not mention it. I suspect that Frankie shouldn’t have mentioned nanobots and that he will eventually withdraw that explanation.
>
> I’d really like to know what the relationship between Mk VII armor and the Spartan-IV GEN2 armor is though, we know that Mk VII has nanotechnology and I’d really like to know if the Infinity GEN2 stuff has nanotech as well.

Yeah I get that Firmwire is programming and that is stated in game. But I feel like Frankie just stating Nanobots is an artistic excuse.(Not that I have a problem with.)I have already accepted the nanobot fact but their could have been an obvious statement. What really confuses me is the prologue with Spartans wearing chief’s upgraded Mark VI which makes me point at three things.(1) RETCON (2)Artistic creativity, and (3)consistency for people new to the series.

They said Nanobots in some interview a long time ago.Otherwise artistic vision like they did with the Covenant.Poor explanation for the Grunts.Did they say anything about the Jackals and Elites change reasoning for lore?

A better question is why do all of the Spartans in the beginning cut scene have the “Cortana special” Mark VI armor? Something seems fishy to me!

My main problem with this overall is consistency. I’m not huge fan of retroactive continuity. The Halo Universe from the looks of it has been through many, minor or small.

The Chief’s armor in Halo 4 was an upgrade variant of Mk. VI. It says so on the Halo 4 story page of this site. It was never really mentioned because it’s not very relevant. If players really want to know about the new look, Waypoint is here for that.

> A better question is why do all of the Spartans in the beginning cut scene have the “Cortana special” Mark VI armor? Something seems fishy to me!

The cutscenes where they re-used cheifs armor probably came down to $$$. Realistically they should have been wearing Mark IV. But CGI cut scenes are quite expensive. Much easier and cheaper to just re-use existing models.

> > A better question is why do all of the Spartans in the beginning cut scene have the “Cortana special” Mark VI armor? Something seems fishy to me!
>
> The cutscenes where they re-used cheifs armor probably came down to $$$. Realistically they should have been wearing Mark IV. But CG cut scenes are quite expensive. Much easier and cheaper to just re-use existing models.

That’s probably the most likely conclusion. I’ve seen that statement made on other fans forums. CGI is pretty expensive.

The fact that we were never given a good explanation in-game or otherwise and everything goes on without it even being mentioned leads me to believe it is a retcon. Which I’m fine with as I am a fan of other sci-fi franchises that do that regularly.

> The fact that we were never given a good explanation in-game or otherwise and everything goes on without it even being mentioned leads me to believe it is a retcon. Which I’m fine with as I am a fan of other sci-fi franchises that do that regularly.

Again, not a retcon. The Halo 4 story page says that the Chief’s armor in Halo 4 is a heavily modified mk. VI