Stop making huge maps!

Title says it all. Highlands was great but we only need one or two of these maps. The next game (if there ever is one),
reasonably sized 4v4, 5v5 maps should be waited more heavily. The last time I played reach I counted seven maps that where more suited for BTB that anything else.

Condemned
Highlands
Breakpoint
Boneyard
Spire
Hemorrhage
Paradiso

I disagree we need more BTB maps and Invasion maps have you counted all the 4v4 5v5 maps (including the forged ones) there is plently

> I disagree we need more BTB maps and Invasion maps have you counted all the 4v4 5v5 maps (including the forged ones) there is plently

Have you looked at where the largest portion of the population resides? Team Slayer and now Sqaud Slayer. Invasion is cool but most players play for the red vs blue spartan stuff. Plus, groups like the one I’m in who play customs really can’t play those large maps. Its easy to take a large group of people and divide them up into small and medium sized maps. Its harder to take a 6 players and fill the void of Boneyard.

> Title says it all. Highlands was great but we only need one or two of these maps. The next game (if there ever is one),
> reasonably sized 4v4, 5v5 maps should be waited more heavily. The last time I played reach I counted seven maps that where more suited for BTB that anything else.
>
> Condemned
> Highlands
> Breakpoint
> Boneyard
> Spire
> Hemorrhage
> Paradiso

you dont enjoy running for 3 minutes before you get sniped? i sure do. i like playing halo where i spend more time walking around searching for players on a map the size of texas than halo where i spend more time actually shooting and killing people. its clearly much more fun to walk around maps with 3 rocks as cover and get sniped.

/sarcasm

on a more serious note. ABSOLUTELY. i am sooo tired of people picking hemorrhage just because they used to play blood gulch or something. you basically have 3 choices in that map.

1.) transverse the map with walking, then get sniped, or killed by the person in the hog turret, you might make it all the way to their base if you are sneaky, but probably not.

2.) vehicle

3.) dont move at all.

i literally insta-back out the SECOND i load territories on hemorrhage. WHO CAME UP WITH THAT GARBAGE? really bungie? territories where the ONLY territory that has even a little bit of cover is the one closest to their base (which is the size of a single mini-nuke blast, coincidentally LOL). 2 of the hills are literally in the middle of a field of grass with ZERO cover. who the BLAM! came up with that TERRIBAD gametype in the first place? probably the same person who decided it was a rul gud idea to add a random factor to the DMR.

> > I disagree we need more BTB maps and Invasion maps have you counted all the 4v4 5v5 maps (including the forged ones) there is plently
>
> Have you looked at where the largest portion of the population resides? Team Slayer and now Sqaud Slayer. Invasion is cool but most players play for the red vs blue spartan stuff. Plus, groups like the one I’m in who play customs really can’t play those large maps. Its easy to take a large group of people and divide them up into small and medium sized maps. Its harder to take a 6 players and fill the void of Boneyard.

8v8 midship. Best. Game. Ever.

Exactly the next mappack should consist of only 4vs4 maps like the pit, construct, lockout etc etc…
I want maps were a setup is possible for good team play, just like the pit had. I thought condemned would be super, but I was dissapointed when I played it. Same goes for anchor 9.

I also think that the maps shouldn’t be build for AA’s in mind. AA’s should help you in combat and not become a total necessity. for example swordbase is build for AL and jetpack, the cage, for jetpack, powerhouse for jetpack, spire for jetpack. What makes these maps so jetpack friendly you ask? The vertical orientation of the playground does. A map like swordbouse would have never worked with any other halo. Neither does it work for reach when played without AL and/or jetpack. The narrow hallways and bridges in swordbase make Al the perfect AA.

I could give a ton more examples, but the point I’m trying to make here is that maps shouldn’t be build around AA’s. Because when you take out the AA’s the maps suddenly plays horrible. I just don’t understand how map designers could make such a big mistake…

Big maps are great it’s the small ones like Atom that I don’t like, i never understood why it was part of the Big team playlist I mean it’s too small for 16 people. You can’t take 2 steps without some how stepping on a Frag grenade, man those things are overpowered.

> I disagree we need more BTB maps and Invasion maps have you counted all the 4v4 5v5 maps (including the forged ones) there is plently

I don’t think you understood what he was talking about.

He wasn’t saying that there’s not enough 4v4 maps…he’s saying that BTB maps shouldn’t be played in 4v4/squad slayer.

I agree, I hate running for days only to be sniped because there’s no cover. Anywhere. For miles.

you can always tell a “community created” map because they don’t think through these things.

-N

My original statement really should have read, “stop making so many of them”. I really do think we have enough. We need something with a mix of indoor/outdoor. Maps with mancannons and fusion coils. Maps like Hemor"rage" with no cover and long walking distances is great for vehicle combat and sniping, but nothing else.

Tempest is a decent example that could be improved. Its a large map that plays small. Plus it has that Halo look and feel to it.

Highground from Halo 3 would probably be an example I’m really looking for. Mix of everything and about the right size too.

> > I disagree we need more BTB maps and Invasion maps have you counted all the 4v4 5v5 maps (including the forged ones) there is plently
>
> Have you looked at where the largest portion of the population resides? Team Slayer and now Sqaud Slayer. Invasion is cool but most players play for the red vs blue spartan stuff. Plus, groups like the one I’m in who play customs really can’t play those large maps. Its easy to take a large group of people and divide them up into small and medium sized maps. Its harder to take a 6 players and fill the void of Boneyard.

While it is true that the majority of the population plays Team Slayer, I think you’re forgetting just how many Team Slayer maps are in the rotation. They greatly outweigh the Big Team Maps.

Also, keep in mind that the Invasion playlist was very heavily populated at launch. A lot of people got tired of it because there were only 2 (now 3) maps in the playlist!

Besides, I’m a strong believer that it is possible to build maps that work for small groups AND large groups.

My favorite example is Halo 3’s Standoff. The middle of the map was great for small team combat, with lots of cover and good sightlines. But if you added more players, everyone was able to spread out and use all the space around the edge of the map. It worked great for 8 vs 8 all the way down to 2 vs 2.

I’m more of the opinion that invasion was a novelty that more off quickly for some and stayed for others. Either way, I think most people play Halo for the red vs blue slayer whether its BTB are TS.

Standoff is a lot smaller than the other maps like Boneyard, Spire, and is still smaller than Breakpoint. But yeah, Standoff is another good example of a large map that plays small.

> Title says it all. Highlands was great but we only need one or two of these maps. The next game (if there ever is one),
> reasonably sized 4v4, 5v5 maps should be waited more heavily. The last time I played reach I counted seven maps that where more suited for BTB that anything else.
>
> Condemned
> Highlands
> Breakpoint
> Boneyard
> Spire
> Hemorrhage
> Paradiso

How is Condemned more suited for BTB?

Just because one person doesn’t like big team doesn’t mean they should stop making big maps, there are plenty of people who do enjoy big maps and vehicles.

Except I’m not one person so I just killed your arguement. Oh, and I love vehicles because thats what makes Halo. I don’t like the whole “no vehicles in small maps and lots of vehicles in big maps” thing. Some thing in between would be nice so small groups can get in on the vehicle love and not have huge walking distances if your on foot.

Condemned is just BIG to me. Its a great map, but doesn’t fit in Team Slayer. Can you really see that map playing with 4v4? I don’t, so thats why I say its a BTB map.

If 343 ignores the necessity for good 2-8 player maps, they will be in a lot of trouble down the road.

> If 343 ignores the necessity for good 2-8 player maps, they will be in a lot of trouble down the road.

Don’t worry, that will never happen :slight_smile:

He didn’t even say stop making them. For the next map pack and/or game they should release fewer stock BTB maps cause Lord knows Bungie couldn’t even get the small ones right. I initially loved the idea of community maps but soon realized it was because Bungie couldn’t so it themselves. 343 has the best maps out of all the stock and pack maps because they took AA’s out of the equation (they included elements that certain AA’s can exploit but not to the point of being broken). You can easily play any 343 map just by walking around and do fine. All Bungie maps you have to exploit an AA or you won’t get anywhere.

I digress from my rabbit trail…

I don’t mind having a plethora of BTB maps. I would like more smaller maps but thats ok. However, if there are to be more BTB maps can we at least get some TS maps that don’t entirely suck?

> If 343 ignores the necessity for good 2-8 player maps, they will be in a lot of trouble down the road.

Then they should not add a Fire Fight map in the next map pack. It was a good addition, but lets focus back on the multiplayer not FireFight, they can’t please everyone but democracy demands multiplayer maps. One Invasion, Two medium sized maps. A little variety. There will be at least the same amount of map packs Halo 3 had. So do not give up hope!

I like what they did with the Defiant pack, pretty good mix there.

I like the big maps, just as long as there is some terrain/battlefield differentiation as opposed to just big, open, empty spaces. Highlands was pretty well-designed with that kind of thing in mind, methinks.

Sandtrap is probably my all-time favorite Halo map and I hope they make something similar (or even just a version 2.0) in the future DLC.

> Except I’m not one person so I just killed your arguement.

…if you’re not one person than what are you?

Anyways, what i was trying to say is that they shouldn’t just completely stop making big maps, they should do a mixture of both. On another note it is also much easier to forge small maps than big ones (most big ones will be similar and have framerate issues). Although I must say that the forge world gray is very boring.