Stop Gating Story Behind the Books/Comics!!!

Just finished my first playthrough of the halo 5 campaign. Other than the seven fights with the same boss the design itself wasn’t bad, but the story is completely incomprehensible. I had to go to google/halopedia like 20 times to find out a -Yoink- ton of key things they didnt explain well, like:
What happened to the janus key
What is genesis/the domain
How did cortana come back to life (how did she even “die” she’s an ai, wasnt explained well in 4 either)
Where the hell did warden eternal come from
How are there more spartan IIs chief was supposed to be the only one
And a lot more

Now before you book lovers come say that I should read the books if I want more story, I think thats unfair. If something is in the games, you should explain, carry out, and finish the story in the game. Sideline stories about fall of reach, etc are fine to have outside, i dont care. But if I’ve played all the other halo games and I’m still confused as -Yoink- as to whats going on, theres a problem.

Bruh. You can just read all of the summaries and related tidbits here, for free.

Wants to know the entire story but doesn’t want to know the entire story. Makes sense.

And if you actually have played all the games, you’d know Chief wasn’t the last Spartan II as you played alongside one in Reach. That didn’t raise a flag for you?

Well the only things that really needed to be explained were who blue team was, who osiris was (though it touches on this during the last mission), and what the domain is. Other then that the story was pretty easy to follow. They only really need to add one or two cutscenes or dialogue that explains these things. Actually there are a couple pieces of dialogue within the game between the members of osiris or blue team that fill in the gaps about there background. Sadly most people seam to run through every thing so the sections that activate these pieces of dialogue are missed.

I agree wit OP the having to read everything isn’t as fun as the story explained through spops or other missions added like it,

When/where was it actually stated that Chief was the last Spartan?

> 2591580321307319;6:
> When/where was it actually stated that Chief was the last Spartan?

Implied on Halo: CE’s cover art.

> 2533274805497312;3:
> Wants to know the entire story but doesn’t want to know the entire story. Makes sense.
>
> And if you actually have played all the games, you’d know Chief wasn’t the last Spartan II as you played alongside one in Reach. That didn’t raise a flag for you?

well as of halo CE is assumed he is the last one, jorge from reach dies before halo CE so ya. Also Linda was picked up after the explosion of the 1st halo ring which was after HALO CE and do to her injuries she was not back in action until after halo 3 (im not 100% how long she was out of commission). The games never mention these characters because they were either missing (Kelly and Fred), out of commission (Linda) or dead (Jorge). If the character’s are not in game or are assumed to no longer be alive or unable to fight why would they be mentioned in the games.

I’m a lore lover, and in fact I’ve read many books and comics about Halo. But I have to agree you man, there many important things that should be explained in the Games and not in the books. Halo: Escalation has Such a HUGE amount of important content that should have been explained in, at least, Halo 4 Spartan Ops.

> 2533274805497312;7:
> > 2591580321307319;6:
> > When/where was it actually stated that Chief was the last Spartan?
>
>
> Implied on Halo: CE’s cover art.

Good to know. Thanks.

> 2533274885566464;9:
> I’m a lore lover, and in fact I’ve read many books and comics about Halo. But I have to agree you man, there many important things that should be explained in the Games and not in the books. Halo: Escalation has Such a HUGE amount of important content that should have been explained in, at least, Halo 4 Spartan Ops.

They could/should have just done an extra mo-cap cinematic and drop tid-bits here and there. There’s a LOT that hasn’t even been touched on in any of the books/comics/podcasts. Answers are fun.

> 2793304054614444;1:
> What happened to the janus key
> What is genesis/the domain
> How did cortana come back to life (how did she even “die” she’s an ai, wasnt explained well in 4 either)
> Where the hell did warden eternal come from
> How are there more spartan IIs chief was supposed to be the only one
> And a lot more

Your only valid point is the Janus Key.
Everything else is either you not paying attention, or stuff that hasn’t been explained yet to anyone. For instance, Cortana’s return was explained in the Reunion mission.
Things like, where the Warden came from and what is Genesis are just things the haven’t explained, like when Spark mentions the Ark at the end of Halo 2, they didn’t explain that until the next game.

> 2533274840624875;8:
> > 2533274805497312;3:
> > Wants to know the entire story but doesn’t want to know the entire story. Makes sense.
> >
> > And if you actually have played all the games, you’d know Chief wasn’t the last Spartan II as you played alongside one in Reach. That didn’t raise a flag for you?
>
>
> well as of halo CE is assumed he is the last one, jorge from reach dies before halo CE so ya. Also Linda was picked up after the explosion of the 1st halo ring which was after HALO CE and do to her injuries she was not back in action until after halo 3 (im not 100% how long she was out of commission). The games never mention these characters because they were either missing (Kelly and Fred), out of commission (Linda) or dead (Jorge). If the character’s are not in game or are assumed to no longer be alive or unable to fight why would they be mentioned in the games.

The point being that there are Spartan IIs no longer operating with the Chief out and about, so that should lead those like the OP to think, “Maybe there are more out there.” Then you see there are Spartan IIs alive after the events of Halo: CE (First Strike novel), and then ta-da, you realize Chief isn’t the last of the Spartan IIs.

Video games have this really weird expectation to discuss every single bit of data in depth like they’re books when, as a medium, they’re closer to films. Nobody was freaking out about how the Rebels decided on Hoth in Empire Strikes Back, or wondered how all of a sudden Luke became a leader in the Rebellion, or what happened to Han to spook him into trying to leave the Rebellion…and so on and so on.

Nobody is saying players have to go out and buy every book that’s out there to get the backstory on these things. It takes 10 minutes and a 12 year old’s grasp of searching the internet to find these answers.

I thought everyone knew about AI rampancy and how many Spartan-IIs there were, I guess not.

I swear to God(exclamation), it was never stated that Chief was the last Spartan-2, we know that Halsey and 'Mdama ran off with part of it(Spartan ops in H4), warden eternal is an AI construct like 343 Guilty Spark(you going to start asking where he came from too? Well, he was an ancient human who’s body was destroyed, and made into a forerunner AI by the isodidact, so that he could keep his “friend”), and rampancy was covered in Halo 4.

Most of the OP’s reasons are why I hated this campaign so damn much. Terrible story telling, characters had no development and were extremely bland (especially Blue Team).

Janus key should have been explained to everyone who didn’t have the nerve to go out and buy a freaking comic book. Eff you Microsoft and 343 for forcing people to do that to gain the knowledge on it.

Seriously should’ve just given Halsey’s arm back because they acted like it never existed in 5, same with the Didact. Warden Eternal had potential. They mentioned the had a million bodies or something right? Why not a different body for each fight, each one more deadlier than the last, like a four legged Warden, a flying Warden, etc. Gods, a 12 year old could’ve came up with that concept.

Cortana coming back and being ‘cured’ just completely made her sacrifice worthless in 4. I think Reed was just butthurt the guy who wrote 4 was a better storyteller so he trashed everything in that game.

> 2533274800438887;16:
> Most of the OP’s reasons are why I hated this campaign so damn much. Terrible story telling, characters had no development and were extremely bland (especially Blue Team).
>
> Janus key should have been explained to everyone who didn’t have the nerve to go out and buy a freaking comic book. Eff you Microsoft and 343 for forcing people to do that to gain the knowledge on it.
>
> Seriously should’ve just given Halsey’s arm back because they acted like it never existed in 5, same with the Didact. Warden Eternal had potential. They mentioned the had a million bodies or something right? Why not a different body for each fight, each one more deadlier than the last, like a four legged Warden, a flying Warden, etc. Gods, a 12 year old could’ve came up with that concept.
>
> Cortana coming back and being ‘cured’ just completely made her sacrifice worthless in 4. I think Reed was just butthurt the guy who wrote 4 was a better storyteller so he trashed everything in that game.

I never bought the comic book and knew exactly what happened to the Janus Key. Do you even know how to Internet?

> 2533274805497312;13:
> > 2533274840624875;8:
> > > 2533274805497312;3:
> > > Wants to know the entire story but doesn’t want to know the entire story. Makes sense.
> > >
> > > And if you actually have played all the games, you’d know Chief wasn’t the last Spartan II as you played alongside one in Reach. That didn’t raise a flag for you?
> >
> >
> > well as of halo CE is assumed he is the last one, jorge from reach dies before halo CE so ya. Also Linda was picked up after the explosion of the 1st halo ring which was after HALO CE and do to her injuries she was not back in action until after halo 3 (im not 100% how long she was out of commission). The games never mention these characters because they were either missing (Kelly and Fred), out of commission (Linda) or dead (Jorge). If the character’s are not in game or are assumed to no longer be alive or unable to fight why would they be mentioned in the games.
>
>
> The point being that there are Spartan IIs no longer operating with the Chief out and about, so that should lead those like the OP to think, “Maybe there are more out there.” Then you see there are Spartan IIs alive after the events of Halo: CE (First Strike novel), and then ta-da, you realize Chief isn’t the last of the Spartan IIs.
>
> Video games have this really weird expectation to discuss every single bit of data in depth like they’re books when, as a medium, they’re closer to films. Nobody was freaking out about how the Rebels decided on Hoth in Empire Strikes Back, or wondered how all of a sudden Luke became a leader in the Rebellion, or what happened to Han to spook him into trying to leave the Rebellion…and so on and so on.
>
> Nobody is saying players have to go out and buy every book that’s out there to get the backstory on these things. It takes 10 minutes and a 12 year old’s grasp of searching the internet to find these answers.

This is exactly it. They don’t have time to explain everything to you. You benefit from the expanded universe in-game, but don’t want it to be so expansive? If you want it in a long story form, go out and buy the book. Or pirate it. I don’t particularly care.

Or… Google is your friend. It’s free. Use it. And Halopedia.

> 2533274946669263;15:
> I swear to God(exclamation), it was never stated that Chief was the last Spartan-2, we know that Halsey and 'Mdama ran off with part of it(Spartan ops in H4), warden eternal is an AI construct like 343 Guilty Spark(
> you going to start asking where he came from too? Well, he was an ancient human who’s body was destroyed, and made into a forerunner AI by the isodidact, so that he could keep his “friend”
> ), and rampancy was covered in Halo 4.

Fixed that for you. Learn how to use the spoiler tool.

> 2533274805497312;17:
> > 2533274800438887;16:
> > Most of the OP’s reasons are why I hated this campaign so damn much. Terrible story telling, characters had no development and were extremely bland (especially Blue Team).
> >
> > Janus key should have been explained to everyone who didn’t have the nerve to go out and buy a freaking comic book. Eff you Microsoft and 343 for forcing people to do that to gain the knowledge on it.
> >
> > Seriously should’ve just given Halsey’s arm back because they acted like it never existed in 5, same with the Didact. Warden Eternal had potential. They mentioned the had a million bodies or something right? Why not a different body for each fight, each one more deadlier than the last, like a four legged Warden, a flying Warden, etc. Gods, a 12 year old could’ve came up with that concept.
> >
> > Cortana coming back and being ‘cured’ just completely made her sacrifice worthless in 4. I think Reed was just butthurt the guy who wrote 4 was a better storyteller so he trashed everything in that game.
>
>
> I never bought the comic book and knew exactly what happened to the Janus Key. Do you even know how to Internet?

Ok cupcake, here’s my big issue with that. Sit down and listen real closely. Let me just take a deep breath here.

I SHOULDN’T HAVE TO LOOK AT OUTSIDE MEDIA TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO PLOT POINTS FROM THE PREVIOUS GAME.

You know what game was really guilty of that recently? Destiny. All their rich lore and detailed crap was on their stupid cards you had to look at online. The OP does have a point, portions of this game’s story was gated by comics/books. This game is a loremaster’s dream because they knew everything beforehand. People who just played the games like me, yeah we’re kinda lost over some subjects.

OP has a point. At least explain stuff in game. Maybe an in game wiki would suffice.