Still No Hunter Assassination

So is anyone else bummed that there isn’t an assassination animation for the Hunters? I mean, you can assassinate Warden Eternal for crying out loud, why not the Hunters? If Master Chief has showed us anything, it’s that in the Forward Unto Dawn movie, there would be a pretty neat way to assassinate a Hunter by jumping off its shield onto its back and punching a grenade into its side and flipping off before it blows up.

And on a side note, they have an assassination that involves a grenade in the game already. The Super Nova assassination. It involves you sticking a plasma grenade to your target’s head and slinging/throwing them by the leg before they explode in mid-air…and this assassination can be performed without having any grenades on you…so why not a grenade style assassination for the Hunters?

Agreed.

But you also have to consider balancing, and since hunters are supposed to be mini bosses, you can’t have an instant kill on them that is so easy to achieve. I was thinking that they could do a system like the knights and warden eternal have, to where you have to break their armor down before you can assassinate them. After you break their backplate with the spines off, then you can assassinate them. Also, I like the idea of using a grenade to kill them instantly, because how are you gonna stab it if it’s made out of a bunch of worms?

Hunters are way too op imo. They’re faster than you, stronger, can melee you almost instantly no matter what side of them you are on, have tracking ammo, do that Rambo berserk thing when the first hunter is killed, etc. There’s no real way to beat them anymore unless they’re kind enough to turn around for you. Knights play a similar role and they are not nearly as hard. It would be nice to see them have some kind of assassination like Knights and Warden Eternal as well.

Didn’t Halo 4 had assassinations for all enemies types at one point?

I’ll have a Hunter assassination but only make it only to assassinate him when he’s close to death, like Wardan Enternal for example

And have the animation sticking a grenade in his…wormy back

> 2533274822883564;5:
> Didn’t Halo 4 had assassinations for all enemies types at one point?

No, Halo 4 didn’t have a assassination animation for the Hunters. In fact you can’t one punch them in back.

> 2533274946078881;1:
> So is anyone else bummed that there isn’t an assassination animation for the Hunters? I mean, you can assassinate Warden Eternal for crying out loud, why not the Hunters? If Master Chief has showed us anything, it’s that in the Forward Unto Dawn movie, there would be a pretty neat way to assassinate a Hunter by jumping off its shield onto its back and punching a grenade into its side and flipping off before it blows up.
>
> And on a side note, they have an assassination that involves a grenade in the game already. The Super Nova assassination. It involves you sticking a plasma grenade to your target’s head and slinging/throwing them by the leg before they explode in mid-air…and this assassination can be performed without having any grenades on you…so why not a grenade style assassination for the Hunters?

a good way to do it is make it similar to boarding a vehicle, but make it so they can throw you off, you can jump up, punch them a few times of throw in a grenade

I think the hunters have lost their role since CE. I remember the first time I encountered them I pooped myself a little and wondered how the hell am I going to take down this huge behemoth. They were intimidating. Also they filled a very specific role and their placement very strategic. Encountering them in small confined spaces , especially on bridges slowing down your progression to the next area like a military blockade. Or on an adjacent bridge firing accurately across at you so the player had to be aware of their surroundings at all times, this could be devastating to the player . They filled a niche role and with their specific placement on maps this felt like good military strategy ( something else I think has been slightly lost / the military feel and the specific roles of the troops on all sides. )
In order to improve the hunters I think there role should be clarified as a mini boss . I think they should be made more difficult to fight and I would like to see some more variations. Maybe different classes of hunters which have different skills and fill different military needs . For example a search and destroy hunter . Fast moving less armour but aggressive and quick to spot enemies. Maybe a more protective of a position class ( like the blockade of CE ) they could be a lot bigger with better weaponry but the trade off could be there slower and not as smart. I’m not sure if this would fit in with lore ? But I always take the stance that lore should fit the game not the other way round . Halo was created around the premise of what’s cool what kicks butt . Overall tho I think there movement speed should be reduced ( unless your close up and their going for the melee as this should be a aggressive burst of speed and power , with a trade off leaving them vulnerable for a few moments .) Also I think they should be armoured head to toe so that the player has to destroy the armour exposing the flesh before the kill can be made. That was the most disappointing part of the hunters in CE the one hit kill with a precision weapon even on legendary.
The assassinations could be specific to the way you kill a hunter too . For example if you expose its neck and attack from the front then maybe the assassination could use its own turret arm to shoot through its neck . From behind you could stick the grenade into its back flesh kicking the hunter forward and the explosion could burst out the orange blood ( a bit like in CE where you could melee the bodies and the blood would splash out. ) The back flip of the shield was a very cool scene too . But hell yeah I’m up for some assassinations, but also some hunter improvements. Refining this mini boss to the modern halo games .

The less assassination animations, the better.

I had a real fun time in Titanfall 2 where (on PC) I held the melee button for about half a second too long while facing the back of my opponent. Anyway, there were two of them, and if I hadn’t been forced into that pointlessly long animation (melee attacks in Titanfall 2 are instant kills. Assassinations are just longer animations that do the same thing) I might have actually killed both my enemies instead of being so filled with lead, I double as a pencil. Same problem Halo has. You’re not invulnerable while preforming the animation, meaning you can easily be killed. The animation is also lengthy, at times.

Hunters shouldn’t have an assassination animation. They’re easy enough to kill as is, considering how ridiculously mobile Spartans are.

I wouldn’t mind assassinating hunters as long as it’s set up the same way as Warden. You can’t assassinate Warden until he has around 10% health left. Being able to assassinate a full health hunter seems like it would be too easy, so maybe you should have to shoot off their back armor first and have them at half or less health. Also this reminded me of how in CE you could one-shot hunters with the magnum; does the CE magnum still one-shot them in the back in H5?

> 2533274843634673;11:
> Also this reminded me of how in CE you could one-shot hunters with the magnum; does the CE magnum still one-shot them in the back in H5?

Since the CE Magnum is one hell of a handcannon, I want to say that its semi-armor-piercing high-explosive cartridge inflicts so much damage and shock to the Lekgolos within the Hunter that the armor plating crushes the creature from the inside-out. Just my thoughts.

> 2535473388643231;9:
> I think the hunters have lost their role since CE. I remember the first time I encountered them I pooped myself a little and wondered how the hell am I going to take down this huge behemoth. They were intimidating. Also they filled a very specific role and their placement very strategic. Encountering them in small confined spaces , especially on bridges slowing down your progression to the next area like a military blockade. Or on an adjacent bridge firing accurately across at you so the player had to be aware of their surroundings at all times, this could be devastating to the player . They filled a niche role and with their specific placement on maps this felt like good military strategy ( something else I think has been slightly lost / the military feel and the specific roles of the troops on all sides. )
> In order to improve the hunters I think there role should be clarified as a mini boss . I think they should be made more difficult to fight and I would like to see some more variations. Maybe different classes of hunters which have different skills and fill different military needs . For example a search and destroy hunter . Fast moving less armour but aggressive and quick to spot enemies. Maybe a more protective of a position class ( like the blockade of CE ) they could be a lot bigger with better weaponry but the trade off could be there slower and not as smart. I’m not sure if this would fit in with lore ? But I always take the stance that lore should fit the game not the other way round . Halo was created around the premise of what’s cool what kicks butt . Overall tho I think there movement speed should be reduced ( unless your close up and their going for the melee as this should be a aggressive burst of speed and power , with a trade off leaving them vulnerable for a few moments .) Also I think they should be armoured head to toe so that the player has to destroy the armour exposing the flesh before the kill can be made. That was the most disappointing part of the hunters in CE the one hit kill with a precision weapon even on legendary.
> The assassinations could be specific to the way you kill a hunter too . For example if you expose its neck and attack from the front then maybe the assassination could use its own turret arm to shoot through its neck . From behind you could stick the grenade into its back flesh kicking the hunter forward and the explosion could burst out the orange blood ( a bit like in CE where you could melee the bodies and the blood would splash out. ) The back flip of the shield was a very cool scene too . But hell yeah I’m up for some assassinations, but also some hunter improvements. Refining this mini boss to the modern halo games .

With the introduction of all the variations of Lekgolo in Wars 2, I don’t see this as far fetched. Just imagine fighting a Goliath in an halo FPS, or a swarm of skitterers. I think if 343 were to do anything with hunters it should be adding the other variations, and that could open the door for hunter assassinations, and not just for the hunters but Goliaths too.

> 2533274806739045;4:
> Hunters are way too op imo. They’re faster than you, stronger, can melee you almost instantly no matter what side of them you are on, have tracking ammo, do that Rambo berserk thing when the first hunter is killed, etc. There’s no real way to beat them anymore unless they’re kind enough to turn around for you. Knights play a similar role and they are not nearly as hard. It would be nice to see them have some kind of assassination like Knights and Warden Eternal as well.

I hate how the hunter bolts track too… It seems every enemy AI has weapon tracking abilities. But the berserk mode they go into I like because it does follow cannon

> 2535473388643231;9:
> I think the hunters have lost their role since CE. I remember the first time I encountered them I pooped myself a little and wondered how the hell am I going to take down this huge behemoth. They were intimidating. Also they filled a very specific role and their placement very strategic. Encountering them in small confined spaces.

Did we play the same CE? I know that Reach was my first Halo game, not CE, but they’re not that intimidating to me in CE. They didn’t seem that ‘strategic’ in their first appearance in Truth and Reconciliation, since there are nearly a dozen Hunters there. They’re also relatively Spartan-sized in CE, and much larger in the other games, so not really “huge behemoths”.

> 2533274806739045;4:
> Hunters are way too op imo. They’re faster than you, stronger, can melee you almost instantly no matter what side of them you are on, have tracking ammo

Of course they’re stronger. They’re way larger. I wouldn’t say faster, since I specifically remember backing away from a Hunter faster than it could charge me in 4. Their melee isn’t really instant, but it is pretty inescapable if you’re too close. However, thruster packs in 5 solve this issue.

Yea, I guess that would make sense. Maybe you could break the armor off their back first before assassinating them by punching a grenade into their back.

i think we have enough assassination animations.

> 2535448178577576;16:
> i think we have enough assassination animations.

What blasphemy do you speak of?

> 2533274822883564;5:
> Didn’t Halo 4 had assassinations for all enemies types at one point?

No, Halo 4 had assassinations for every enemy except for the Hunters…some even with multiple animations depending on the angle you were approaching from when you initiated the assassination. Heck, even the little flying Watchers the Knights would pop out could be assassinated.

I wouldn’t mind seeing one that involved ripping their claw off so you can use it, especially now that we have them. But seeing one that is like how Master Chief killed the hunter in Forward Unto Dawn would be cool as well.

> 2533274816788253;19:
> I wouldn’t mind seeing one that involved ripping their claw off so you can use it, especially now that we have them. But seeing one that is like how Master Chief killed the hunter in Forward Unto Dawn would be cool as well.

Hmm…I do like that idea. Like, once you break the armor off their back, you could do one where you rip their arm cannon off and blast them point blank in the back for an insta-finish on them.