Stats No Longer Fun

Hello Halo Fans! Before I discuss the main topic, I would like to inform you on something personal. I am very tolerant of others, whether its play style or personality. I do not like to complain about something, unless I personally feel that it takes away from the overall enjoyment of Halo. Even then, I am willing to compromise for fairness and the opinions of others. However, this is something that just takes away from the fun.
I am referring to personal stats. I like the initial concept of comparing scores and medals, but it has gotten out of hand. I am not just referring to the MLG idiots who shout out their “supposed” awesome K/D every second of a match, I also mean with friends as well. Several of my friends are paranoid of dying in forge and custom games, as it adds to their stats. I am, myself, am at unease by the fact people can look at my okay stats and judge me without knowledge of my play style.
If that isn’t bad enough, people are often changing up their play styles to avoid vulnerability. Not simple changes, such as sticking to cover and staying with a partner; but large changes, such as hiding in corners, resorting to active camo above all else, and using only powerful/ranged weapons. I feel that I can’t have a classic Halo experience like this. I define classic Halo as CE style: People stick to their primary/spawn weapons, only use power weapons when needed, and run around like ants with guns.
Now, I don’t hate the stat system, I just feel that it takes away from the Halo experience. I would like to see options where you can just hide your stats from viewers. However that my prove as cowardly, and cause negative prejudice. What do you think? Is Halo still fun when people hide from one another? Or is it more fun to run and gun freely?

everyone’s idea of fun is different.

> everyone’s idea of fun is different.

My idea of fun is nostalgic Halo. Running around in super armor, and shooting down enemies with skill, until someone finally kills you. Then you say “good work at besting me!” (or something to that extent). What is your idea of fun?

> > everyone’s idea of fun is different.
>
> My idea of fun is nostalgic Halo. Running around in super armor, and shooting down enemies with skill, until someone finally kills you. Then you say “good work at besting me!” (or something to that extent). What is your idea of fun?

halo ce and halo 4, that is my idea of fun.

My idea of fun was the Halo 2 days. I doubt any game will ever beat that…

> My idea of fun was the Halo 2 days. I doubt any game will ever beat that…

unfortunatly I did not enjoy halo 2, the amount of bugs/glitches in that game just killed it for me. The unfixable button glitches were the ultimate nail in the coffin for me.

My idea of fun? Playing custom content on Halo CE, playing forge maps in Reach, extraction in Halo 4, etc.

> > My idea of fun was the Halo 2 days. I doubt any game will ever beat that…
>
> unfortunatly I did not enjoy halo 2, the amount of bugs/glitches in that game just killed it for me. The unfixable button glitches were the ultimate nail in the coffin for me.

LOL? The button glitches were what made this game amazing! It provided a skill gap unseen since HCE. I prefer to best someone in a 1v1 by using my knowledge of the game and the time ive put into mastering my shot, not by destroying them using a rocket launcher that fell out of the sky and landed at my feet.

> > > My idea of fun was the Halo 2 days. I doubt any game will ever beat that…
> >
> > unfortunatly I did not enjoy halo 2, the amount of bugs/glitches in that game just killed it for me. The unfixable button glitches were the ultimate nail in the coffin for me.
>
> LOL? The button glitches were what made this game amazing! It provided a skill gap unseen since HCE. I prefer to best someone in a 1v1 by using my knowledge of the game and the time ive put into mastering my shot, not by destroying them using a rocket launcher that fell out of the sky and landed at my feet.

using glitchs that were not intended to be in the game does not “increase” a skill gap, it makes the game broken.

Defeating someone 1v1 without exploiting an unintended glitch in the games engine is a true testament to how good someone is.

> > > > My idea of fun was the Halo 2 days. I doubt any game will ever beat that…
> > >
> > > unfortunatly I did not enjoy halo 2, the amount of bugs/glitches in that game just killed it for me. The unfixable button glitches were the ultimate nail in the coffin for me.
> >
> > LOL? The button glitches were what made this game amazing! It provided a skill gap unseen since HCE. I prefer to best someone in a 1v1 by using my knowledge of the game and the time ive put into mastering my shot, not by destroying them using a rocket launcher that fell out of the sky and landed at my feet.
>
> using glitchs that were not intended to be in the game does not “increase” a skill gap, it makes the game broken.
>
> Defeating someone 1v1 without exploiting an unintended glitch in the games engine is a true testament to how good someone is.

It just so happens that that is what made the Halo 2 so fun to me. I loved all the glitches that Halo 2 provided. They were one of a kind.

Interesting how everyone, despite arguing which game is best, have very similar thoughts of Halo. The main point is that it is more fun to engage enemies head-on rather than keeping a safe distance and/or using power weapons.

Due to the fact that no visible ranking system exists, people are forced to resort to using K/D as a measure of skill. Unfortunately, this leads to stat padding and ruins objective gametypes. I’d like to see 1-50 viewable in game and the elimination of K/D from each player’s service record in the hopes that individuals will no longer obsess over dying once.

> Due to the fact that no visible ranking system exists, people are forced to resort to using K/D as a measure of skill. Unfortunately, this leads to stat padding and ruins objective gametypes. I’d like to see 1-50 viewable in game and the elimination of K/D from each player’s service record in the hopes that individuals will no longer obsess over dying once.

Thank you. I have a K/D of 1.01 and more game losses than wins, nothing to be proud of. Yet, I can give my friend who has a K/D of 1.24, and more wins than losses, a run for his money. Not only that, my skill practically multiplies when I actually get a friend and team up with him. A basic K/D won’t monitor such things. Thus, it discourages entertaining competition.

I wish KDR was only affected by slayer, and not objective, ctf, and dominion.

when viewing other peoples service records (in game) it should just show you games played and games won.

> when viewing other peoples service records (in game) it should just show you games played and games won.

Even that has a significant flaw. I’ve seen more than one occasion where one team is significantly more skilled than the majority of the other team. I have often been on the receiving end of such things. I could try my best, get killing sprees, and still lose because my team either couldn’t get organized and/or the enemy team had one or more pro players. Winning is pretty difficult when you don’t have a solid team.

I’m a naturally competitive person.
I make even the silliest things into a competition.
Such as:
[/li]- Who can eat the most.

• Who’s the smartest.
  • Who’s writing is better.
    I guess it’s just how I am.
    I have a natural desire to prove I’m better than someone else.

That’s why Halo is my idea of fun.
Halo provides more competitive fun than anything else I know of.
And yes, that includes Halo 4 and Reach.

It’s the K/D man, somewhere in time it just became the apparent most important thing in all games. People forget what really matters, your win/loss. Who’d you want on your team, a support player with triple as many wins as losses, or a guy with a K/D of 8 who patches his stats at everyone else’s expense?

> Due to the fact that no visible ranking system exists, people are forced to resort to using K/D as a measure of skill. Unfortunately, this leads to stat padding and ruins objective gametypes. I’d like to see 1-50 viewable in game and the elimination of K/D from each player’s service record in the hopes that individuals will no longer obsess over dying once.

THIS! ^

I hate that there is no true RANKING system that lets you level up for playing awesome and derank for sucking. What is so bad about having that?

This needs to be experimented upon. I typically play solo in team slayer. By doing that, I have a K/D of 1.01. That being said, if you guys teamed up with me, I hypothesize that my K/D will go up by at least 0.03 points. If you would like to help with this experiment, send me a message, and I will try to compile a team of 4 or 6. This is for science and Halo, so don’t let this rub you the wrong way.