Static/Dynamic Spawns

static and dynamic spawns are what either allows for spawn trapping or helps prevent it.

when spawns are static, like they are in MLG, your team will spawn in the same general areas every time. when spawns are dynamic, like in the rest of matchmaking, you will spawn where ever there is the least amount of danger most of the time.

spawn trapping is when one team gets a power weapon or two and holds down certain areas so that the other team doesn’t have much of a chance to do anything before being killed. the key detail to note is that spawn trapping is very difficult to pull off no matter who you are playing against. it requires a lot of team work and perfect timing when it comes to getting control of certain areas. This is why I believe that spawn trapping should not be considered a cheap, noobish strategy. spawn trapping should be in halo.

here is a clip from the other night (taken from my other account) where we had excellent map control in a game of slayer CTF on asylum. but first a few details:

here are the positions we held/pushed:
one guy provided support from their needle bridge with our sniper (me)
another supporter had their sniper at their sniper bridge
the first offensive player was in their rocks pushing up the left side of their base
and the other offensive player was pushing across their turret with sword.

we were about to hold down their base and get a capture before the game ended. BUT the dynamic spawns had other plans in mind…

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=20897015&player=x%20F%20equals%20MA%20x

after we killed their entire team the first three players to be killed all spawned right in front of our base. keep in mind this is an objective game. not expecting an attack from behind they were able to kill me and grab our flag. they ran it across and made the capture. we captured their flag anyway but we still should have won by a larger margin. the point is that the other team got into our base without having to kill any of us. they got in by luck and not skill which is not how competitive games should be.

imagine if this had happened in the beginning of the game. what would have been an excellent lead capture and map control would have turned out to be a tie and we would have had to pull of another great maneuver to get the lead.

side note: I never EVER KD boost in objective. as tempting as it is I know how much it sucks. my friends and I are far more satisfied by winning objective games as we can and with out letting the other team score any points.

TL:DR, dynamic spawns can give unskilled players an advantage when about to be squished by skilled players.

thoughts?

It really depends on the map and gametype to be honest.

Agreed.

But, I think there should just be some sorta of algorithym JUST in objective games called the ‘-Yoink- Algorithym’.

It detects if one team is HTOing, and spawnkilling the other team over and over for a few minutes, and if patterns stay solid, the team being spawn killed is moved to another spawn on the map.

Why? Because there is a difference between spawn trapping and spawn camping. Virtually, spawn trapping an enemy so they can’t get far so you need to do what you need to do (score the flag, arm the bomb, etc.) is the result of good team work and skill, the team being spawn trapped should stay as such.

Then we have the pure -blam!-s who HTO, sit at just the right distance with all the vehicles, power weapons, and shoot with DMRs all match after they score once. That’s spawn camping, which takes no skill. Yes, they had to have had enough skill to gain map control, but there are many factors. A full team against all randoms who have no friends who play Halo, or none on at the time…and no one there is communicating thanks to the lack of Truskill and the failure of Pysche profile prefs.

This all results in a massive stupid fest and the people spawn camping should have something unexpected happen.

> It really depends on the map and gametype to be honest.

I agree. obviously in a game of team slayer on an asymmetrical map you would want dynamic spawns. but I think that when playing on a symmetrical map, no matter what the gametype is, static spawns should be used.

> Then we have the pure -blam!-s who HTO, sit at just the right distance with all the vehicles, power weapons, and shoot with DMRs all match after they score once. That’s spawn camping, which takes no skill.

I think that still takes a degree of skill. when I hear the term ‘spawn camping’ I think of someone running around with a sword right where the other team spawns and killing them before they can do anything. THAT takes no skill. but I do not think anyone should worry about it because, unless the team being spawn camped totally sucks, they will eventually be able to team up on that single player and end it. or maybe I just have my facts wrong.

> > It really depends on the map and gametype to be honest.
>
> I agree. obviously in a game of team slayer on an asymmetrical map you would want dynamic spawns. but I think that when playing on a symmetrical map, no matter what the gametype is, static spawns should be used.
>
>
>
> > Then we have the pure -blam!-s who HTO, sit at just the right distance with all the vehicles, power weapons, and shoot with DMRs all match after they score once. That’s spawn camping, which takes no skill.
>
>
> I think that still takes a degree of skill. when I hear the term ‘spawn camping’ I think of someone running around with a sword right where the other team spawns and killing them before they can do anything. THAT takes no skill. but I do not think anyone should worry about it because, unless the team being spawn camped totally sucks, they will eventually be able to team up on that single player and end it. or maybe I just have my facts wrong.

Player spawn camping? No, whole full party spawn camping another team full of randoms.

Sorry, it CANNOT be broke out if you’re like me who has the worst of luck. Only one with a mic, shouting callouts, what possible thing we can do, etc…when no one else is freaking talking at all, when I search for similary skilled chatty, competitive team players who want to win.

It’s partly the game screwing you over, but then a full party who has no honor at all (He who cannot show honor in a small thing cannot in a big thing like life.) comes and further augments the idiocy.

I always thought spawn camping was literally camping at their spawn and spawn trapping was staying away but keeping positions so that they have no chance to break your control. trapping them.

Definitions for each term may be different, but for my given definitions you can match them up with whatever term you wish.

Wait wait wait wait… WHAT??

Reach’s default matchmaking does not use static spawns for CTF??

wow… no wonder it always feels like people are coming from behind you when your trying to set up and pull the flag.

Didn’t Bungie realize that spawning players that close to the other team’s flag is a really really really bad idea??

Dynamic spawns piss me off. They should NEVER appear on a symmetric map.

I completely agree that Static spawns should be used in most, if not, all objective gametypes, because I strongly believe that if you have the coordination enough to lock down let’s say for example on Asylum/Sanct: Bridge, their needle rifle, their snipe and their base, you should be able to predict their spawn at Rocks; Making your strategy and team work pay off!

For slayer, there’s obvious reasons why this wouldn’t work/wouldn’t be fun for the team getting spawned trapped. haha

yeah I think static spawns should be in most gametypes. except for slayer on asymmetrical maps.