Sr Lighting Artist from Naughty Dog joins 343

It was announced that on December 1st, a senior lighting artist named James Guard joined 343. He worked with Naughty Dog on TLOU 2 as well as Spider Man from Insomniac Games.

This is great news seeing that lighting was one of the bigger issues in the gameplay demo. I’m now even more curious to see what the final game will look like after it’s been optimized on the XSX with Ray tracing. Chris Lee even mentioned about improving the textures due to the feedback.

But does this increase the possibility of a Fall/Holiday 2021 release date? I hope so… Assuming that’s what it takes for them to not rush the game.

Here is his LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamesguard/

Even if these changes happen “months prior” to being announced, it is a sign leaning towards this game was not even close to being finished. The delay was announced almost 5 months ago and i doubt this particular hire happened 6 months ago. Glad to see the team bringing in people to help get it finished though!

> 2533274809988140;2:
> Even if these changes happen “months prior” to being announced, it is a sign leaning towards this game was not even close to being finished. The delay was announced almost 5 months ago and i doubt this particular hire happened 6 months ago. Glad to see the team bringing in people to help get it finished though!

Not necessarily.

It could simply be a replacement for someone else who had to move on.

Or it could be that they are now looking to the next phase of the project (it is supposedly a ten year service).

Maybe the timing is just right. Microsoft are apparently starting to finalise their graphics APIs for the Series X/S - so maybe now is the time to get more people in who know what they are doing with this stuff - to take Slipstream/Infinite forward into the future.

> 2585548714655118;3:
> > 2533274809988140;2:
> > Even if these changes happen “months prior” to being announced, it is a sign leaning towards this game was not even close to being finished. The delay was announced almost 5 months ago and i doubt this particular hire happened 6 months ago. Glad to see the team bringing in people to help get it finished though!
>
> Not necessarily.
>
> It could simply be a replacement for someone else who had to move on.
>
> Or it could be that they are now looking to the next phase of the project (it is supposedly a ten year service).
>
> Maybe the timing is just right. Microsoft are apparently starting to finalise their graphics APIs for the Series X/S - so maybe now is the time to get more people in who know what they are doing with this stuff - to take Slipstream/Infinite forward into the future.

Could be a lot of things but taking everything into consideration I would lean towards the latter.

A replacement for someone else who had to move on; the lighting in the reveal was terrible and the backlash because of it was just as bad. Could be coincidental I suppose.

I think them looking towards the next “phase” of their project is a little bit like counting your chickens before they hatch since the game isn’t even out yet and isn’t close to being out (based on the little information/reveals we’ve seen indicates it won’t be anytime within the next 3-4 months).

I would say the timing is right however since for the most part, the community is happy for the delay to get this Halo Project right. Don’t get me wrong here, I was still mad not to be playing this bad boy right now but after the reveal; I’m happier to wait until its something worth playing.

Interesting. The lighting/atmosphere was one of my favorite parts of TLOU2’s presentation. Regardless of how late into development this decision is, it’s certainly good to have someone like him on the project!

> 2535411993815954;5:
> Interesting. The lighting/atmosphere was one of my favorite parts of TLOU2’s presentation. Regardless of how late into development this decision is, it’s certainly good to have someone like him on the project!

Never played that game, I’ll have to check some videos out on youtube or something. 100% agree on bringing in people with proven track records.

Remember, new staff may not be explicitly working on Halo Infinite. Perhaps they could be working on MCC or a new project all together.

343 have previously mentioned trying to get ray-tracing in MCC, that may not happen for a while but this could entirely be an option.

I (Hypocritically) think it’s best not to speculate on the jobs of individuals at the company, we simply don’t know enough about the workings of 343 to make it worthwhile. And also it’s vaguely immoral? Ultimately we should be judging the collaborative effort of the team, 343 Industries, if we start dissecting what individual staff members are doing all the trolls and idiots on the internet are going to start throwing blame at people just doing their jobs.

> 2533274882881665;7:
> Remember, new staff may not be explicitly working on Halo Infinite. Perhaps they could be working on MCC or a new project all together.
>
> 343 have previously mentioned trying to get ray-tracing in MCC, that may not happen for a while but this could entirely be an option.
>
> I (Hypocritically) think it’s best not to speculate on the jobs of individuals at the company, we simply don’t know enough about the workings of 343 to make it worthwhile. And also it’s vaguely immoral? Ultimately we should be judging the collaborative effort of the team, 343 Industries, if we start dissecting what individual staff members are doing all the trolls and idiots on the internet are going to start throwing blame at people just doing their jobs.

I mean i don’t think its too far of a stretch to think hes going to work on lighting if that’s what he’s known for; whether its in Infinite or MCC. I certainly wouldn’t bring on a waitress or waiter and have them work as a mechanic.

> 2533274809988140;8:
> > 2533274882881665;7:
> > Remember, new staff may not be explicitly working on Halo Infinite. Perhaps they could be working on MCC or a new project all together.
> >
> > 343 have previously mentioned trying to get ray-tracing in MCC, that may not happen for a while but this could entirely be an option.
> >
> > I (Hypocritically) think it’s best not to speculate on the jobs of individuals at the company, we simply don’t know enough about the workings of 343 to make it worthwhile. And also it’s vaguely immoral? Ultimately we should be judging the collaborative effort of the team, 343 Industries, if we start dissecting what individual staff members are doing all the trolls and idiots on the internet are going to start throwing blame at people just doing their jobs.
>
> I mean i don’t think its too far of a stretch to think hes going to work on lighting if that’s what he’s known for; whether its in Infinite or MCC. I certainly wouldn’t bring on a waitress or waiter and have them work as a mechanic.

I never said he wouldn’t be working on lighting?

> 2533274882881665;9:
> > 2533274809988140;8:
> > > 2533274882881665;7:
> > > Remember, new staff may not be explicitly working on Halo Infinite. Perhaps they could be working on MCC or a new project all together.
> > >
> > > 343 have previously mentioned trying to get ray-tracing in MCC, that may not happen for a while but this could entirely be an option.
> > >
> > > I (Hypocritically) think it’s best not to speculate on the jobs of individuals at the company, we simply don’t know enough about the workings of 343 to make it worthwhile. And also it’s vaguely immoral? Ultimately we should be judging the collaborative effort of the team, 343 Industries, if we start dissecting what individual staff members are doing all the trolls and idiots on the internet are going to start throwing blame at people just doing their jobs.
> >
> > I mean i don’t think its too far of a stretch to think hes going to work on lighting if that’s what he’s known for; whether its in Infinite or MCC. I certainly wouldn’t bring on a waitress or waiter and have them work as a mechanic.
>
> I never said he wouldn’t be working on lighting?

Sorry the bold above threw me off.

> 2533274809988140;10:
> > 2533274882881665;9:
> > > 2533274809988140;8:
> > > > 2533274882881665;7:
> > > > Remember, new staff may not be explicitly working on Halo Infinite. Perhaps they could be working on MCC or a new project all together.
> > > >
> > > > 343 have previously mentioned trying to get ray-tracing in MCC, that may not happen for a while but this could entirely be an option.
> > > >
> > > > I (Hypocritically) think it’s best not to speculate on the jobs of individuals at the company, we simply don’t know enough about the workings of 343 to make it worthwhile. And also it’s vaguely immoral? Ultimately we should be judging the collaborative effort of the team, 343 Industries, if we start dissecting what individual staff members are doing all the trolls and idiots on the internet are going to start throwing blame at people just doing their jobs.
>
> Sorry the bold above threw me off.

Wow, an apology for a misunderstanding? You have no place on the internet. It is always the other guy being stupid.

Seriously though, congratulations for not be a typical internet forum low life.

> 2533274866989456;11:
> > 2533274809988140;10:
> > > 2533274882881665;9:
> > > > 2533274809988140;8:
> > > > > 2533274882881665;7:
> > > > > Remember, new staff may not be explicitly working on Halo Infinite. Perhaps they could be working on MCC or a new project all together.
> > > > >
> > > > > 343 have previously mentioned trying to get ray-tracing in MCC, that may not happen for a while but this could entirely be an option.
> > > > >
> > > > > I (Hypocritically) think it’s best not to speculate on the jobs of individuals at the company, we simply don’t know enough about the workings of 343 to make it worthwhile. And also it’s vaguely immoral? Ultimately we should be judging the collaborative effort of the team, 343 Industries, if we start dissecting what individual staff members are doing all the trolls and idiots on the internet are going to start throwing blame at people just doing their jobs.
> >
> > Sorry the bold above threw me off.
>
> Wow, an apology for a misunderstanding? You have no place on the internet. It is always the other guy being stupid.
>
> Seriously though, congratulations for not be a typical internet forum low life.

LOL…i try

> 2533274809988140;4:
> the lighting in the reveal was terrible and the backlash because of it was just as bad. Could be coincidental I suppose.

So true. Digital Foundry had a video post the game-play trailer that explained how the textures lost detail when passing into shadow.

We don’t know if this was a problem with the artists or the specifically the Slipspace engine.

I suspect a lot of it has to do with the immature API’s for the Series X/S. Now that this is being rectified by MS it’s probably the perfect time to bring in people with such skills to fix the problem.

It’s good that they’re seemingly taking the demo backlash seriously. They could just look at the likes/dislikes ratio and go “well done boys we did it” and move on but no, I think they’re hearing the complaints from the core community and caring about it. At least that’s what I’m speculating, could totally be wrong.

But yeah back to lighting. I’m not a dev so I can’t say for certain how these things work, but considering they’re bringing a big shot like that and put him in that position in December… makes me think that there’s no way this game is coming out before holiday season next year. Unless they’re planning on launching the game and then giving it lighting upgrades which I personally would be fine with but I think would be a bad idea in general. First impressions matter in the grand scheme of things.

Improving lighting and textures will be great for Infinite’s presentation, gameplay’s important of course, but flat presentation can put off newcomers and even fans of the franchise too. Weapon animations, movement, gunplay, all seemed fine, so lighting would be the biggest priority in fixing the game’s poor presentation, as a game with flat textures but impressive lighting can look far more appealing than a game with amazing textures but mediocre lighting (and even then, Infinite’s textures were okay-looking when directly lit by the sun).

It’s great that they’re hiring people with proven track records in this field, they can take all the time they need. A lot of people could be upset with a Holiday release but it opens up a huge amount of development opportunities, tweaks/fixes, content additions for launch, and a Halo-anniversary release, too. I can rest a bit easier now haha

> 2533275031939856;14:
> Unless they’re planning on launching the game and then giving it lighting upgrades…

I think that is a given anyway.

The XBOX Series X is a brand new console and it’s going to take developers a while to come to grips with what they can do. A lot of the APIs (eg for ray tracing) haven’t even been finished / released by Microsoft. So I have no doubt that the Slipspace engine is being furiously uptaded as 343 find out more about the technology at hand.

The Infinite we play in 2020 won’t be the same we play in 2021, let alone in 2025 or (with 10 year servicing) 2030.

> 2533274809988140;6:
> Never played that game, I’ll have to check some videos out on youtube or something. 100% agree on bringing in people with proven track records.

Tread carefully—it’s a very controversial game (I still don’t understand why). The narrative direction is a bit underwhelming to me, but the game is marvelous on a technical level. The atmosphere is amazing.