Squad shooter

Is this a squad shooter now. And what’s with the two opposing sides having exact sized squads, seems a bit cliché. Hmm, should Halo fans be worried as the solo levels with Chief in the past Halo games are some of the most memorable and always fighting with squad mates will leave out that feeling of isolation and desperation. Also what’s with the upstart Spartans who act more like ODSTs having the delusion of them hunting down Chief and the other most badass Spartans of all time. It’s like a new soldier thinking he can take on a experienced soldier who has seen over 100 times the amount of combat.

> 2533274925473364;1:
> Is this a squad shooter now. And what’s with the two opposing sides having exact sized squads, seems a bit cliché.
>
>
> Lore wise, squads were 4 man. In real life… squads have specific unit sizes too. Thus… same size squad.
>
> **Let’s also remember this is a game, and to keep the game play balanced across the board in what seems to be a 4 player co-op campaign (online) then switching to locke’s side and having 3 people or 5 people messes with the 4 player co-op experience.**Hmm, should Halo fans be worried as the solo levels with Chief in the past Halo games are some of the most memorable and always fighting with squad mates will leave out that feeling of isolation and desperation.
>
> This is reaching. Some of the most memorable moments of master chief have been solo moments, because the entire series with master chief has been A SOLO experience. That’s not evidence for an argument. I also never felt Isolated and desperate. I always felt like This stuff is in my way, get rid of it. Reach made me feel more isolated than Halo 2 or 3. (halo 1 I really felt alone though)
>
> Also what’s with the upstart Spartans who act more like ODSTs having the delusion of them hunting down Chief and the other most badass Spartans of all time. It’s like a new soldier thinking he can take on a experienced soldier who has seen over 100 times the amount of combat.
>
> Because they’re upstart spartans who actually were ODST’s. They have delusions of hunting down chief / Spartan II’s. They’re delusional.

they were ODSTs before they became spartans and they ARE hunting him down whether to bring him back or to kill him

> 2533274925473364;1:
> Is this a squad shooter now. And what’s with the two opposing sides having exact sized squads, seems a bit cliché. Hmm, should Halo fans be worried as the solo levels with Chief in the past Halo games are some of the most memorable and always fighting with squad mates will leave out that feeling of isolation and desperation. Also what’s with the upstart Spartans who act more like ODSTs having the delusion of them hunting down Chief and the other most badass Spartans of all time. It’s like a new soldier thinking he can take on a experienced soldier who has seen over 100 times the amount of combat.

Well… there is four player co-op… so do the math yourself.
Blue Team has always been 4 people, which fits with gameplay. Osiris matches.

There might not be many isolated moments, but the squad based encounters and open level design should make up for that in its own memorable ways.

Locke was an ONI agent, Buck was an ODST, Vale was a Sangheili language expert, and Tanaka is a survivor specialist.
It’s not really some “delusion” that they can hunt Chief down. Their armor makes them on par with his team technologically. Odds are its not coming to a straight up fight, nor was it really intended to.

I dont know, maybe the upstart soldiers also just lived through the biggest war in Humanitys history, and did it without a huge suit of armor or augementations. Theyll hold their own

> 2533274811158328;2:
> Lore wise, squads were 4 man.

Not true. Alpha-Nine consisted of five people (Rookie, Romeo, Dutch, Mickey, Buck), not counting Dare.

While it makes sense to have the same size of members in both teams, there’s no obligation for it to be four. Especially now that four player splitscreen was scrapped.

> 2533274907934539;4:
> Blue Team has always been 4 people, which fits with gameplay.

> After its conception in 2519, Blue Team usually consisted of three members. The team was originally comprised of John-117, Samuel-034, and Kelly-087. For some training missions, Spartans like Fred-104, Fhajad-084 and Linda-058 were added to Blue Team. After Sam’s death on a Covenant vessel in the Chi Ceti system, his spot remained vacant until John reluctantly filled it with Kurt-051 in 2531.
>
> The unit’s roster frequently changed for various combat operations, changing both members and size. During the Battle of Earth, Blue Team was reformed from the surviving Spartans on Earth, with the new roster being Fred-104, Linda-058 and William-043, though later, during the events on and inside Onyx, the team lost Will and increased in number, with Kelly-087 rejoining, as well as SPARTAN-IIIs Lucy-B091, Tom-B292, Ash-G099, Mark-G313 and Olivia-G291 joining the team.

http://www.halopedia.org/Blue_Team

> 2533274801176260;6:
> > 2533274811158328;2:
> > Lore wise, squads were 4 man.
>
>
> Not true. Alpha-Nine consisted of five people (Rookie, Romeo, Dutch, Mickey, Buck), not counting Dare.
>
> While it makes sense to have the same size of members in both teams, there’s no obligation for it to be four. Especially now that four player splitscreen was scrapped.

Four player online co-op? Which will be used and played far more than four player co-op split screen ever would have been.

> Halo fans be worried as the solo levels with Chief in the past Halo games are some of the most memorable and always fighting with squad mates will leave out that feeling of isolation and desperation.

Totally disagree and I think most people will as well. Sure, some of the solo, lone wolf levels were fun, but I always preferred the large scale, epic levels in the previous Halo games like the beginning of The Silent Cartographer, or the insane sequences on The Covenant w/ two Scarabs, tanks, Hornets, etc.

Can people just not be so afraid of change?

> 2533274801176260;7:
> > 2533274907934539;4:
> > Blue Team has always been 4 people, which fits with gameplay.
>
>
>
>
> > After its conception in 2519, Blue Team usually consisted of three members. The team was originally comprised of John-117, Samuel-034, and Kelly-087. For some training missions, Spartans like Fred-104, Fhajad-084 and Linda-058 were added to Blue Team. After Sam’s death on a Covenant vessel in the Chi Ceti system, his spot remained vacant until John reluctantly filled it with Kurt-051 in 2531.
> >
> > The unit’s roster frequently changed for various combat operations, changing both members and size. During the Battle of Earth, Blue Team was reformed from the surviving Spartans on Earth, with the new roster being Fred-104, Linda-058 and William-043, though later, during the events on and inside Onyx, the team lost Will and increased in number, with Kelly-087 rejoining, as well as SPARTAN-IIIs Lucy-B091, Tom-B292, Ash-G099, Mark-G313 and Olivia-G291 joining the team.
>
>
> http://www.halopedia.org/Blue_Team

Blue Team has been known as Fred, Kelly, Linda, and John for a long time.

The designation for Blue Team changes depending on the mission as they take in survivors and other necessary soldiers, such as what happened in First Strike, but the core has been Kelly, Linda, Chief, and Fred for a while.

Also, in the same halopedia article you used as source:

> “You ‘Spartans’ have put quite a dent in our efforts to liberate the frontier worlds…I didn’t believe it until I saw the video. All by the same four-man team. Some said ‘Blue Team’ was a myth.”

> Blue Team is a semi-constant group of SPARTAN-IIs under operational command of NAVSPECWAR generally consisting of around four members.

> 2533274800197828;8:
> > 2533274801176260;6:
> > > 2533274811158328;2:
> > > Lore wise, squads were 4 man.
> >
> >
> > Not true. Alpha-Nine consisted of five people (Rookie, Romeo, Dutch, Mickey, Buck), not counting Dare.
> >
> > While it makes sense to have the same size of members in both teams, there’s no obligation for it to be four. Especially now that four player splitscreen was scrapped.
>
>
> Four player online co-op? Which will be used and played far more than four player co-op split screen ever would have been.

You misunderstand. Why four? Why not five? Or six? Now that Coop is gone, this just seems like an arbitrary number to have…

> 2533274801176260;10:
> > 2533274800197828;8:
> > > 2533274801176260;6:
> > > > 2533274811158328;2:
> > > > Lore wise, squads were 4 man.
> > >
> > >
> > > Not true. Alpha-Nine consisted of five people (Rookie, Romeo, Dutch, Mickey, Buck), not counting Dare.
> > >
> > > While it makes sense to have the same size of members in both teams, there’s no obligation for it to be four. Especially now that four player splitscreen was scrapped.
> >
> >
> > Four player online co-op? Which will be used and played far more than four player co-op split screen ever would have been.
>
>
> You misunderstand. Why four? Why not five? Or six? Now that Coop is gone, this just seems like an arbitrary number to have…

But there is still 4 player co-op via Xbox Live. Who knows, there might even be campaign matchmaking like Reach.

And who’s to say there won’t be solo portions? Republic Commando, a very similar game, had several parts where you were separated from your squad. From the portion of the level GI played it seems like Chief gets split up from Blue Team for at least a short time.

> 2533274858486130;11:
> > 2533274801176260;10:
> > > 2533274800197828;8:
> > > > 2533274801176260;6:
> > > > > 2533274811158328;2:
> > > > > Lore wise, squads were 4 man.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Not true. Alpha-Nine consisted of five people (Rookie, Romeo, Dutch, Mickey, Buck), not counting Dare.
> > > >
> > > > While it makes sense to have the same size of members in both teams, there’s no obligation for it to be four. Especially now that four player splitscreen was scrapped.
> > >
> > >
> > > Four player online co-op? Which will be used and played far more than four player co-op split screen ever would have been.
> >
> >
> > You misunderstand. Why four? Why not five? Or six? Now that Coop is gone, this just seems like an arbitrary number to have…
>
>
> But there is still 4 player co-op via Xbox Live. Who knows, there might even be campaign matchmaking like Reach.
>
> And who’s to say there won’t be solo portions? Republic Commando, a very similar game, had several parts where you were separated from your squad. From the portion of the level GI played it seems like Chief gets split up from Blue Team for at least a short time.

They’ve already confirmed that the squads will be present for the entirety of the game and that this campaign was specifically designed for a co-op experience (with or without friends) - hence the squad command system and the ability to JIP in campaign online.

> 2533274801176260;10:
> > 2533274800197828;8:
> > > 2533274801176260;6:
> > > > 2533274811158328;2:
> > > > Lore wise, squads were 4 man.
> > >
> > >
> > > Not true. Alpha-Nine consisted of five people (Rookie, Romeo, Dutch, Mickey, Buck), not counting Dare.
> > >
> > > While it makes sense to have the same size of members in both teams, there’s no obligation for it to be four. Especially now that four player splitscreen was scrapped.
> >
> >
> > Four player online co-op? Which will be used and played far more than four player co-op split screen ever would have been.
>
>
> You misunderstand. Why four? Why not five? Or six? Now that Coop is gone, this just seems like an arbitrary number to have…

What you seem to forget is that there NEVER was 4 player splitscreen in campaign, so 4 is the exact number of players that could play online coop since Halo 3.
And why not more? Well becaus of exactly that reason, 4 players in online coop, 1 spartan per player.

> 2533274920039666;12:
> > 2533274858486130;11:
> > > 2533274801176260;10:
> > > > 2533274800197828;8:
> > > > > 2533274801176260;6:
> > > > > > 2533274811158328;2:
> > > > > > Lore wise, squads were 4 man.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Not true. Alpha-Nine consisted of five people (Rookie, Romeo, Dutch, Mickey, Buck), not counting Dare.
> > > > >
> > > > > While it makes sense to have the same size of members in both teams, there’s no obligation for it to be four. Especially now that four player splitscreen was scrapped.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Four player online co-op? Which will be used and played far more than four player co-op split screen ever would have been.
> > >
> > >
> > > You misunderstand. Why four? Why not five? Or six? Now that Coop is gone, this just seems like an arbitrary number to have…
> >
> >
> > But there is still 4 player co-op via Xbox Live. Who knows, there might even be campaign matchmaking like Reach.
> >
> > And who’s to say there won’t be solo portions? Republic Commando, a very similar game, had several parts where you were separated from your squad. From the portion of the level GI played it seems like Chief gets split up from Blue Team for at least a short time.
>
>
> They’ve already confirmed that the squads will be present for the entirety of the game and that this campaign was specifically designed for a co-op experience (with or without friends) - hence the squad command system and the ability to JIP in campaign online.

Ah, guess I missed that, thanks for letting me know.

I remember when 117 was thought to be the last surviving, Spartan. A human super soldier.

And then co-op got bigger, so the experience follows.

I don’t believe Buck taking down the Phaeton was anything more than scripted or above easy. Requiring the team to take the Phaeton’s fire while Buck takes it down from a flank is a more in-game experience I would expect from the new system.

As for having to play alone… I do hope they figure out a few moments where we do get separated and loose comm. with each other.
Not too sure how the respawning/reviving/restarting would work when it is co-op and we’re alone but GoW did do it one way that wasn’t bad :smiley: