squad mechanic

im not one to start problems i just want to point out that the squad mechanic in halo 5 doesn’t seem fluid you have to push up on the d pad to select a target and that means you have a chance to get screwed over in a fight while trying to do that. i just tried battlefield 4 today after i played in the beta years ago and the squad mechanic seems more fluid you can get your teammates to fire at a group of targets not just one and since you hold RB for it you can easily use it in the middle of a fight. i just want to make sure people dont get pissed off at the way it is now by possibly getting screwed over and by that i mean dying because you took that half second to press up on the d pad and take away from your combat effectiveness

> 2533274884116647;1:
> im not one to start problems i just want to point out that the squad mechanic in halo 5 doesn’t seem fluid you have to push up on the d pad to select a target and that means you have a chance to get screwed over in a fight while trying to do that. i just tried battlefield 4 today after i played in the beta years ago and the squad mechanic seems more fluid you can get your teammates to fire at a group of targets not just one and since you hold RB for it you can easily use it in the middle of a fight. i just want to make sure people dont get pissed off at the way it is now by possibly getting screwed over and by that i mean dying because you took that half second to press up on the d pad and take away from your combat effectiveness

While BF4 spotting is really useful on RB, I feel that because in Halo 5 your player has a lot more abilities than in BF it wouldn’t make sense to put spotting on the RB. I’d rather have something movement related on RB.

You want true squad mechanics, play republic commando. For an old game it was up there with Halo for me, which most shooters never accomplish. I hope its similar in Halo 5.

i feel like shoulder bashings only useful for opening new pathways

I wonder if different control schemes will have it mapped differently. I also wonder if Dpad Up can be mapped to one of my Scuf Paddles. It might be worthwhile to remap it… I’ll have to look into it. I also wonder what relevance the following has to the topic at hand lol:

> 2533274884116647;4:
> i feel like shoulder bashings only useful for opening new pathways

well the D-Pad isnt used for anything else really, and this leaves options for using RB for a different button (melee)

I don’t think that’s going to be an issue. If the split second it takes to move your thumb from the stick to the D-pad to initiate a squad command is the difference between life and death, you’re probably doing it wrong. It is likely very far down the priority list when it comes to assigning battle critical buttons on the controller.

> 2533274848599184;6:
> well the D-Pad isnt used for anything else really, and this leaves options for using RB for a different button (melee)

Only because they killed the flashlight :frowning: I miss my flashlight :frowning:

> 2533274891841289;3:
> You want true squad mechanics, play republic commando. For an old game it was up there with Halo for me, which most shooters never accomplish. I hope its similar in Halo 5.

Then you are in luck!
Tim Longo, the creative director for Republic Commando is now the creative director over at 343 who has been working on Halo 5. It’s going to be killer.

im talking about legendary campaign or something very hard like that that the split second makes a difference

I’m actually for it, I think using the D-pad makes it useful for a change. It would also make your teammates much more useful than before.

Then don’t command them in combat all the time.