Sprint

Why do people dislike sprinting so much? Before the hate starts I am legitimately curious. Personally I find gameplay without sprint to be fairly boring. Going back to Halo CE (which is a great game) I feel like I am an elephant rather than a nimble special operations soldier. I haven’t read anything that describes Spartans as slow or lumbering. Despite the size and weight of their armor they have always been described as quick. I feel that sprint is more representative of a Spartan’s abilities. I have played Halo for almost 14 years and each entry in the series has improved on the previous one (in my opinion).

I think they have balanced sprint well by adding a hold on the shield recharge. So again, why all the hate for sprint.

I agree with you 100%. I don’t understand it much myself. I feel like it’s people putting up their “nostalgia wall” or the massive comparison to COD because of sprint. Doesn’t feel like COD to me though, never did. Feels like Halo but smoother. I agree it’s sometimes annoying missing that last shot because someone sprint away or into cover but that’s just the game. There’s other ways to combat that. People just want instant satisfaction.

Maybe reading one of the multiple hundred threads will explain to you guys “why”.
Most of the threads are backed up with proof, and they contain fully realized and conveyed ideas.

> 2533274837898145;2:
> I agree with you 100%. I don’t understand it much myself. I feel like it’s people putting up their “nostalgia wall” or the massive comparison to COD because of sprint. Doesn’t feel like COD to me though, never did. Feels like Halo but smoother. I agree it’s sometimes annoying missing that last shot because someone sprint away or into cover but that’s just the game. There’s other ways to combat that. People just want instant satisfaction.

-.-

Nostalgia wall huh? We have said multiple times why sprint does not work with halo,people escaping battles and drawing out the game being one of them.

I made a post bout an hour ago trying to show why desprint is necessary (not trying to self promote honest)!

Basically the complaint for sprint as far as i can tell is not so much that sprint exists in the game, but more to do with the way it can currently be used. The concept that is disliked by so many, is that the player getting shot and close to death has the option to turn around and sprint to the other side of the map with a high chance of success (even with the delayed shield recharge). As the chasee you may see no problem with this, but as the chaser it becomes overwhelmingly annoying.

The idea of the cat and mouse chase has always been in halo, in halo 3 for example you can hide round large corners countering the chasers movements until the shields recharge, so getting away is not really the problem. The problem is that with sprint the chasee gains initial distance that wasn’t really possible in previous halo’s (no spartans had a way to create a advantageous acceleration). Sprint acts as a significant acceleration switch, the consequence being that the chasee can always start with a decent distance between them-self and the chaser, as the chaser you have to react to the sprinting that has already been initiated by the chasee, and by the time you do the chasee is already hiding behind a corner or across the map (the common “I should have killed that guy, this is stupid” moment) but if you wrongly try to anticipate his sprint away, you will be putting yourself in a bad position most likely - why ?

I think the delayed shields is a good first attempt to tackle the issue of sprint abuse (as i will call it), but not good enough, it is still deemed too hard to kill a fleeing enemy in some situations - it is generally felt from those that dislike sprint (myself included) that sprint should punish you in gun battles not save you, so either you need to take extra damage when sprinting (say 33% extra damage, so a br can three shot you) or as i would prefer introduce de-sprint when shot even once (return to normal movement speed, not completely stopped and no de-sprint if in the air so ground pound and alot of the map jumps can still be made). That way you can’t use sprint to run away every time you were supposed to die because you put yourself in a bad spot and the focus would sway back to the shooting. I would personally also prefer if there was a 2second delay when you are shot and de-sprinted, so that that if you are running across the map a good shot can pick you off (bad positioning argument).

> 2533274799140161;1:
> Why do people dislike sprinting so much? Before the hate starts I am legitimately curious. Personally I find gameplay without sprint to be fairly boring. Going back to Halo CE (which is a great game) I feel like I am an elephant rather than a nimble special operations soldier. I haven’t read anything that describes Spartans as slow or lumbering. Despite the size and weight of their armor they have always been described as quick. I feel that sprint is more representative of a Spartan’s abilities. I have played Halo for almost 14 years and each entry in the series has improved on the previous one (in my opinion).
>
> I think they have balanced sprint well by adding a hold on the shield recharge. So again, why all the hate for sprint.

Saying we need sprint because you run too slow in Halo CE? Are you serious?

Expanding on it more than just removing sprint, people want the base movement speed (when you’re not sprinting) to be increased. It is slower than ever in halo 4 and 5 because of the inclusion of sprint. Plus it feels even slower if you don’t sprint because the maps are so stretched out now solely to accommodate sprint. Since you are a “14 year veteran”, compare the size of midship/heretic from halo 2/3 and compare it to the size of truth from the beta. It’s the same map but it’s a -Yoinking!- joke how big it is now. They could probably fit 2 snipers in that map now because of how stretched they made it.

Not only does the map size change only because of sprint, but the weapons suffer because of it. It’s now harder to BR someone from across that map than it was… for no reason other than the inclusion of sprint. Many jumps (like from top mid of that map to one of the bases) is no longer possible without using sprint. People are able to run away from situation in which they would have died 10 times out of 10 in the halo games without sprint. Videos showing this:

The fact that what is happening in these videos is now an integral part of this franchise is embarrassing. Sprint causes more problems than just "existing".

Because Halo 2 didn’t have sprint and therefore no other Halo game should ever deviate from what was THE perfect formula for a game handed down to Bungie by some kind of minor deity.

People are blinded by nostalgia. If Halo 2 had Spartans doing battle with toasted baguettes and 343 decided to drop it because it was stupid people would be screaming ‘Where’s my French bread!?’ all over the forums.

> 2732317809651779;7:
> Because Halo 2 didn’t have sprint and therefore no other Halo game should ever deviate from what was THE perfect formula for a game handed down to Bungie by some kind of minor deity.
>
> People are blinded by nostalgia. If Halo 2 had Spartans doing battle with toasted baguettes and 343 decided to drop it because it was stupid people would be screaming ‘Where’s my French bread!?’ all over the forums.

This is my favorite analogy in the history of ever.

it’s not nostalgia blindfold that makes most hate sprint, or the fact that they have introduced change - i like change, go change, but change to make a good game with attributes that won’t make me stop playing (as you would expect from any game).

Sprint is this game is annoying when anyone can run from the gunfight, once they have low shields and are losing - THAT is why people hate ( in real time, in the now), not nostalgia (although some may actually be nostagia blinded).

I am willing to accept sprint is needed, but there needs to be major penalty if even thinking of using it once the shooting starts, something like i mentioned above.

It’s really seems like the community is 50/50. In my personal opinion, being the competitive player who started at Halo 3 but still loved Halo 1 and 2, I absolutely hate sprint. It affects more than people realize. Not just kill times, map layouts, cat and mouse games, little things that make a big impact overall.

Ill still play Halo 5 and every Halo after that, that’s how in love I am with this series, I started on Halo 3 and I was branded for life. It just sucks to see what this game is turning into, although a tad more tolerable than Halo 4, their really is not much of a difference.

Tbh. I’ve found that in Halo 5 if you have a team (who are good shots) that all have mics and coordinate together, people “getting away” rarely every happens. And by rarely I would go so far to say once ever 8 games or so.

If you have the luxury of an entire team with mics and decent co-ordination then yes, otherwise it can’t be stopped and that’s when its a problem. I have always played solo and have no real way to form a regular “team”, so yeah…

I imagine the majority of people playing are not teamed up, although to be honest i have no idea on the numbers ? Assuming that to be true, then it’s a problem for the majority of players that encounter this behaviour.

I think I see what the issue is. We need to just play Halo CE and never ever EVER evolve the game in any way. The Halo 1 pistol for example. That was the most BS thing ever yet Halo CE and it’s lack of sprint is held up as the pinnacle of gaming. In fact lets quit playing off of Blu-Ray with flatscreens. We need monochrome and floppy disks. For God’s sake just because something was one way doesn’t mean it has to stay that way forever. Don’t like sprint? Fine go play something else. The reason Halo is going the way of the dodo (sadly) is because the community wants a 14 year old game with new graphics and no multiplayer besides split screen system link. Either get with the times or just go play Halo CE on the original Xbox.

> 2533274799140161;1:
> Why do people dislike sprinting so much?

Messing with map design, promoting poor strategies and gameplay, not having any real addition to the game with any logical benefit other than perhaps for a player thinking about when and when not to sprint.

Even my brother, who’s pro sprint, agrees that sprint adds nothing to the game. He just likes the feeling of it.

> 2533274799140161;1:
> I haven’t read anything that describes Spartans as slow or lumbering.

I think the difference between your way of thinking and my way of think was this: Spartans (in my opinion) were always sprinting. There’s nothing to suggest a spartan couldn’t run at high speed while maintaining a weapons ready position. Could they run to their maximum potential? No, of course not. Mechanically speaking that’s not how the body works, but they could still run pretty darned fast.

And, like I’ve said countless times, canon is not justification of a mechanic. This isn’t a virtual reality simulation, not everything has to be to the utmost of realism. Gameplay comes before canon in my books every time.

If the gameplay isn’t fun, no amount of canon or realism is suddenly going to make it appealing.

> 2533274799140161;1:
> So again, why all the hate for sprint.

It’s a fundamentally flawed mechanic (when applied to a Halo game) that adds nothing of any particular benefit to the gameplay other than the illusion of making things feel faster. Simultaneously it harms map design and promotes poor gameplay and bad decisions. - The poorly worded gist of my argument.

What I’d like to see is someone actually support the mechanic beyond “It’s realistic and I like it.”

There hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of posts here condemning sprint, some long enough to fill a book (I’ve posted many myself) and very little in the way of supporting it.

So please, if you like the mechanic I implore you to come up with benefits to the gameplay. If you think it makes things skillful, explain how. If you think it adds depth, explain how. If you think it allows for more strategies, explain how.

Rather than calling out people on why they hate sprint (which has been posted to the point of redundancy) explain why you do like it and how it makes the game better.

We don’t need more posts condemning sprint, we need more logical reasons to support it.

> 2533274799140161;13:
> I think I see what the issue is. We need to just play Halo CE and never ever EVER evolve the game in any way.

And then there’s this. Words do not describe how sick and tired I am of this. “You don’t like this or that so you must hate ALL change!”

It’s the same thing as me saying “You like sprint so you want the game to be cod.” It’s stupid, it’s flawed, and it’s getting us nowhere. I understand you like sprint and disagree with those who don’t but how about rather than making a big fuss about the fact that they don’t agree with you, you convince them to agree with you?

Using the idea of “the game needs to evolve” is NOT justification for what has been argued to be a bad mechanic.

> 2533274799140161;13:
> The Halo 1 pistol for example. That was the most BS thing ever yet Halo CE and it’s lack of sprint is held up as the pinnacle of gaming.

“Other things were bad in previous games that you like therefore sprint is fine.”

This isn’t about CE, this is about sprint.

> 2533274799140161;13:
> For God’s sake just because something was one way doesn’t mean it has to stay that way forever.

And just because you think the game needs to change doesn’t mean we need to accept every mechanic that crawls up to our doorstep. No one is denying that the game needs to change. What is being denied is that this is the right way to go.

> 2533274799140161;13:
> Don’t like sprint? Fine go play something else.

To heck with this in particular. Do you see me telling you to go play CoD because you like sprint? No, I have my opinion and I am here to support it, whether it’s with hard facts or reasoning. This is the kind of thing that I get in return. “You don’t agree with me so go play something else. You don’t want sprint so therefore you hate change.” Just get out of here with that already. (Note, I’m not telling you to leave, I’m simply frustrated).

I want to have a good debate about sprint and about how or how it doesn’t improve the game. But that’s really hard to do when, instead of debating, people decide to throw around petty insults and act like they’re entitled to tell other people they shouldn’t be playing the game.

> 2533274799140161;13:
> The reason Halo is going the way of the dodo (sadly) is because the community wants a 14 year old game with new graphics and no multiplayer besides split screen system link.

“I’m blaming you for something that is entirely out of any of our control just so I can further promote my opinion.”

> 2533274799140161;13:
> Either get with the times or just go play Halo CE on the original Xbox.

Heck with it. Enjoy your sprint. I don’t care anymore.

I’m out.

Halo 2 was released in 2004. My guess is some people still haven’t grown up since then :wink:

And what does a broken mechanic (in the opinion of most present gamers) in the current game have to do with growing up, or halo 2 exactly ? I’m pretty sure these things are independent of one another, so what is the point you are trying to make ?