Sprint will evolve with halo.

(Yes another Sprint post, I’m sorry =|)

Games Evolve. Slowly improve, Enhance, and Rebalanced the game. This is the core nature of game development, Halo included. Just because Sprint works one way in Halo Reach Does Not mean it will work in the same way in Halo 4. The problems with sprint can be resolved. We must stop looking at sprint as it exists now in Reach but how it could change in Halo 4.

The issues with Sprint in Reach.

  1. It allows you to to run away from conflict.
  2. The player’s movement speed is lowered to compensate for speed of sprint.
  3. Map must be deigned around sprint, essentially making small maps unplayable.
  4. It make’s close combat weapons overpowered.
    Those are a few major issues that I can think of at this moment, if you think of anymore put them in your reply.

343 knows of these issues, and are going to balance sprint like any developer would. So how do you think they will resolve this issues with sprint? Here’s one of my suggestions.

They could have any damage while sprinting take away from your sprint time. For instance; If sprint is 8 seconds, every time a bullet hits the player it would take away 2 seconds of your sprint time.

So how do you think they will learn from Reach’s sprint and balance it for Halo 4?

tl;dr - Sprint will change for the better in Halo 4.

My fear is that they wont change anything, and just keep sprint as it is in every other game. I fear they are copying this from other games just o appeal to the “cod” gamer. Sprint just causes so many problems with little to no advantages, so the only reason to add it is to appease the “cod” gamers.

Sprint is basically a temporary change in movement speed.

It isn’t anything to be fussed about. It is not like a game with 150% movement speed is any less competitive than a game with 100% movement speed.

Also, this is the Halo Formula:

Guns, Grenades, Melee, Vehicles, Powerups.

That is unchanged whether sprint is there or not.

I liked the idea of people immediately stopping when getting shot at (with the exception of friendly-fire) that someone mentioned in some other thread. That would definitely make for a nice game mechanic that will not function as a crutch for players.

> My fear is that they wont change anything, and just keep sprint as it is in every other game. I fear they are copying this from other games just o appeal to the “cod” gamer. Sprint just causes so many problems with little to no advantages, so the only reason to add it is to appease the “cod” gamers.

I disagree, if they are trying to go after to the CoD market. I’m not sure just adding sprint is really appealing to the CoD gamer, Hell he most likely will not even know it’s in the game.

The fact of the matter is, Sprint is here to stay. Let’s fit it into Halo’s game play the best we can.

> Sprint is basically a temporary change in movement speed.
>
> It isn’t anything to be fussed about. It is not like a game with 150% movement speed is any less competitive than a game with 100% movement speed.
>
> Also, this is the Halo Formula:
>
> Guns, Grenades, Melee, Vehicles, Powerups.
>
> That is unchanged whether sprint is there or not.

Agreed…

Idk about the Whole Stopping when shot while Sprinting. I would rather the Shot Stagger you as it bounces off of your shield or armor.

> > My fear is that they wont change anything, and just keep sprint as it is in every other game. I fear they are copying this from other games just o appeal to the “cod” gamer. Sprint just causes so many problems with little to no advantages, so the only reason to add it is to appease the “cod” gamers.
>
> I disagree, if they are trying to go after to the CoD market. I’m not sure just adding sprint is really appealing to the CoD gamer, Hell he most likely will not even know it’s in the game.
>
> The fact of the matter is, Sprint is here to stay. Let’s fit it into Halo’s game play the best we can.

I don’t disagree that it isn’t very smart to put sprint in just to appease to cod. I (like you) don’t believe it will bring that much new players to halo. I’m merely questioning 343,s integrity on this decision
The basic fact that you make this post and naming 4 problems with sprint in Halo just like that is imo enough reason not to have it. Your post makes me think youre an intelligent person, and I think you also realise that it is a somewhat questionable decision, to o appease to the cod gamer. I appreciate that your trying to make sprint work, and that its not your decision to have it or not.

Just my opinion on the subject, thank you and have a nice day.

Halo maps prior to Reach were always on a smaller size with good geometry which would create energetic and involving games to play…

Adding Sprint to Halo made Reach maps huge, open, boring and often lacking combat or strategies to win a game (Boardwalk!).

Sprint only takes away from Halo it forces people to stop shooting and flee in order to avoid been melee rushed when weakened.

You will never get maps like Guardian or Lockout because map design for a Halo shooting + Sprint will never work. It works with COD because kills are near instant but Halo requires 3-5seconds for kills which give people to much time to say Im screwed better sprint for for 6 seconds in the opposite direction… round about the same time my shield recharges too! Is that what you want Halo to come too?

> Also, this is the Halo Formula:
>
> Guns, Grenades, Melee, Vehicles, Powerups.

Your entire opinion is pretty much void after that statement.

> > Also, this is the Halo Formula:
> >
> > Guns, Grenades, Melee, Vehicles, Powerups.
>
> Your entire opinion is pretty much void after that statement.

Explain yourself.

Do you know anything else in the game that I forgot?

Powerups also refers to active camo and overshields.

> > > Also, this is the Halo Formula:
> > >
> > > Guns, Grenades, Melee, Vehicles, Powerups.
> >
> > Your entire opinion is pretty much void after that statement.
>
> Explain yourself.
>
> Do you know anything else in the game that I forgot?
>
> Powerups also refers to active camo and overshields.

…Because you simply proved your ignorance.

Not only are there things you’re forgetting, but sprint does tamper with these things.

> Halo maps prior to Reach were always on a smaller size with good geometry which would create energetic and involving games to play…
>
> Adding Sprint to Halo made Reach maps huge, open, boring and often lacking combat or strategies to win a game (Boardwalk!).
>
> Sprint only takes away from Halo it forces people to stop shooting and flee in order to avoid been melee rushed when weakened.
>
> You will never get maps like Guardian or Lockout because map design for a Halo shooting + Sprint will never work. It works with COD because kills are near instant but Halo requires 3-5seconds for kills which give people to much time to say Im screwed better sprint for for 6 seconds in the opposite direction… round about the same time my shield recharges too! Is that what you want Halo to come too?

> never

I don’t believe that, too absolute to me. I think we can make sprint work in Halo, but I’m an optimist. If I wasn’t I would say something along the lines of “We are stuck with sprint so we must make the best out of a bad situation”.

Quick note: No-sprint is incredibly important for Halo. Prior to Reach, it was literally one of the only console FPS games that doesn’t have a sprint function. IMO this lack of sprint only adds to Halo’s uniqueness and playability.

No. Just accept that sprint can never be ‘fixed’ and that it has to go.

> Quick note: No-sprint is incredibly important for Halo. Prior to Reach, it was literally one of the only console FPS games that doesn’t have a sprint function. IMO this lack of sprint only adds to Halo’s uniqueness and playability.

While I may be inclined to agree with you, I still believe that 343 can make sprint and competitive Halo work together. I also have to say, I don’t think what we should praise Halo for is the Lack of something but what it does with what it has, and how Halo’s unique Medium paced competitive style still holds up to this day.

That said, if you still want to praise Halo for it’s uniqueness in term of a lack of some gameplay element from it’s rival games, there’s still Iron sights. =)

> I also have to say, I don’t think what we should praise Halo for is the Lack of something but what it does with what it has.

There are so many things we should praise Halo for due to it’s lack of something.

This mentality that we should constantly be adding things into the game that change it so significantly is just astonishing…

Or, sprint will be the death of Halo. Halo doesn’t need sprint. Bungie tried adding it in HR and it failed. Why should Halo 4 have it?

Halo 4: Basic Mechanics Evolved.

> Or, sprint will be the death of Halo. Halo doesn’t need sprint. Bungie tried adding it in HR and it failed. Why should Halo 4 have it?

Sprint did not fail as a gameplay element. Was it balanced perfectly? No, Did it have some fundamental flaws? Yes. but it did add new elements to Halo’s gameplay. Can this be improved upon? Hell yes.

I not saying I want sprint in Halo 4 exactly as it works in Halo Reach but, Improved upon and rebalanced. So it fits nicely Halo’s gameplay. This can happen, and hopefully will