Sprint was never needed, but I hope it stays

With or without sprint, Halo, or any game for that matter, can be great.
Sprint alone doesn’t damage, or even really change the Halo formula all that much.
It only truly becomes and issue when the other elements of the the game don’t synergize with the mechanic.
When the maps are too small for it to matter, when it gives people an advantage that supersedes the need engage enemies, when it does nothing whatsoever to synergize with other mechanics, or when it simply becomes more of a liability than an asset, THAT is when I’d expect to see major complaints about it worth reading.

But Halo 5 has sprint. Was it implemented well? I’d say, yes. It was.
In Halo 5, not only is sprint a toggleable feature, it also is the crux for a major portion of the tertiary movement mechanics of this game. Sprint isn’t just an ability on it’s own, it’s also a gateway into other abilities whose uses have not even entirely been explored yet: Slide and Charge.
Consider that both of those abilities are well integrated into the map design in just about ever element Halo 5. You have breakable walls you can charge through and gaps you can slide under for quick escapes or quick access to alternate routes to locations or power weapons. Sprint itself offers a higher risk-reward scenario that regular movement, seeing as you can recover from an engagement unless you take a break. You might be able to escape if you sprint, but it also heightens your chance of dying all the much easier since you lost the ability to fight back.

I see sprint as an extension of walking, the same way clamber is an extension of jumping, or the motion tracker is an extension of just being able to SEE, or the reticle is an extention of the weapons you use, and smart-link is an extension of the reticle. It doesn’t overlap the function of the primary mechanic, it extends it’s functionality.

Sprint really would not have worked in Halo 2, or 3 they way it has been designed here. A different kind of sprint might have worked, like the one Bungie had already planned to implement, but didn’t due to various constraints, but not this one. Sprint in Halo 5 is not just a mechanic, it’s a feature, a gateway, a secondary movement mechanics that opens many doors of the overall gameplay.

The way it’s been designed, Halo might not need sprint, but Halo 5 certainly does. I can understand why people dislike sprint for all the crap it caused in the past games, but imagine of Halo Reach or 4 or even 1-3 had implement sprint as well as Halo 5 has, and then ask yourself if you would really hate it so much now.

I don’t get why people hate sprint, I personally have played pretty much every one of Halo’s competitors and the only poor implementation of it was Halo 4’s, because the maps didn’t work with it.
I played the Halo 5 beta and it was glorious there.

I too hope sprint stays.

Going back to the older Halo titles playing 4 just makes them feel a little slow and sluggish now lol.

I don’t think anyone is saying that Halo 5 can’t be competitive because of sprint . . . I’m sure the game will still have a great skill gap, but you can’t deny that sprint fundamentally changes how Halo is played. Just . . . why is sprint necessary? For a game that is built around sprint, 343 sure goes a long way to make sure you don’t sprint:

1. You must lower your weapon.
  2. Your shield is delayed.
  3. You appear on motion tracker.

It makes me wonder why they even bother to make sprint work in the first place. It’s like an unnecessary burden that 343 decides to keep carrying for the sake of modernization. Josh Holmes even mentioned himself that Halo 5 and its maps would play fine without sprint. Just get rid of it instead of trying to suppress its problems through other mechanics (which, as a result, causes more problems). Halo’s pacing is an extremely delicate formula dependent on TTK and map design. It has always had longer kill times compared to other shooters and because of this, the player had his weapon ready at all times. I feel that sprint throws off this balance because it separates movement from shooting - making it a purely defensive mechanic. Pair that with Halo’s long kill times and it becomes a huge unnecessary mess. With that said, I’m still excited for Halo 5 and I feel it has the potential to be competitive (even though I prefer no-sprint).

Man, i really wish sprint would have made it into Halo 2s final build as originally planned so it wouldnt be an issue for people.

> 2533274816299345;5:
> Man, i really wish sprint would have made it into Halo 2s final build as originally planned so it wouldnt be an issue for people.

If it had been, we probably wouldn’t be here right now, as the online multiplayer would have been DOA.

> 2533274801176260;6:
> > 2533274816299345;5:
> > Man, i really wish sprint would have made it into Halo 2s final build as originally planned so it wouldnt be an issue for people.
>
>
> If it had been, we probably wouldn’t be here right now, as the online multiplayer would have been DOA.

If only we had a time machine so we could know for sure huh.

I don’t mind sprint, as long as it is well balanced and managed. I feel Halo 5 is doing well at making sure that is the case. Ensuring that shields do not recharge, and increasing the base speed while lowering the sprint speed, I think it will work just fine. I commonly hear from my friends while playing MCC “it feels weird not being able to sprint”. These are longtime Halo players, but I think it’s gotten to the point it just feels weird not having a sprint in shooters.

Personally, I’m cool with or without it.