Sprint Solution?

Sprint. Some love it. Some hate it.

Chances are its going to be in the next Halo.

The only real compromise I can come up with is when you get shot, you stop sprinting.

This eliminates the “get out of jail free card” while allowing sprint to remain in the game, of course this only solves one of the major problems with sprint, but its the only real solution if we are to keep sprint in the game.

So, yes or no?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Sprint needs to be buffed not made worse. Sprint needs to make the user run 80 times as fast. Also, it should have no recharge time. Also everyone needs to start with jet pack.

> Sprint needs to be buffed not made worse. Sprint needs to make the user run 80 times as fast. Also, it should have no recharge time. Also everyone needs to start with jet pack.

This guy is a genius.

> > Sprint needs to be buffed not made worse. Sprint needs to make the user run 80 times as fast. Also, it should have no recharge time. Also everyone needs to start with jet pack.
>
> This guy is a genius.

Lolzz

125% base speed.
130% sprint speed.
Stun when running away from source of damage.

> Sprint. Some love it. Some hate it.
>
> Chances are its going to be in the next Halo.
>
> The only real compromise I can come up with is when you get shot, you stop sprinting.
>
> This eliminates the “get out of jail free card” while allowing sprint to remain in the game, of course this only solves one of the major problems with sprint, but its the only real solution if we are to keep sprint in the game.
>
> So, yes or no?

Yes, but I think that instant respawn taken out will stop people from complaining that sprint breaks map flow.

> Sprint. Some love it. Some hate it.
>
> Chances are its going to be in the next Halo.
>
> The only real compromise I can come up with is when you get shot, you stop sprinting.
>
> This eliminates the “get out of jail free card” while allowing sprint to remain in the game, of course this only solves one of the major problems with sprint, but its the only real solution if we are to keep sprint in the game.
>
> So, yes or no?

Are you saying that when you get shot, you stop moving altogether?
Or just that you just slow down? Because this is already in Halo 4 and sprint is still a problem.

Sprint needs to be there. We’re freaking Spartans, lol. Instant respawn however, needs to leave and never return.

> 125% base speed.
> 130% sprint speed.
> Stun when running away from source of damage.

Do you think that this could create more problems for Halo, having those who sprint away get stunned when they’re shot?

I have to say I think this would be even worse than what we have now.

I want people to be able to run from me once I engage them, but I want to be able to chase them at an equal speed whilst still being able to shoot them.
I certainly don’t want them to just freeze on the spot once I shoot them.

I can see ‘stunned when shot’ being one of the worst (and most frustrating) additions to Halo that we have ever witnessed.
What would happen to strafing and all the rest?

As much as I want sprint to go, I’d much rather it stayed the way it is than to see it changed in this way.
Not having a go at the OP, it’s great that they are giving their suggestions but I just don’t like this one on this occasion.

I love hearing you speak on the subject of sprint Ramir3z77, so what are your thoughts?

I think you misinterpreted me.

I merely mean you slow down to walking speed when you are shot running away.

However, you would not be effected if you were shot sprinting towards or parallel to the enemy.

This would allow you to run sidways from cover to cover, or run towards the enemy, but would prevent you from turning around and running backwards.

As for the speed, my rationale is this:
343I most likely isn’t going to remove sprint.
So we should make sprint much less significant.
If sprinting only gives a slight boost in speed, it does not lead to giant maps and other problems, and walking remains a viable option.

Sounds good

> I think you misinterpreted me.
>
> I merely mean you slow down to walking speed when you are shot running away.
>
> However, you would not be effected if you were shot sprinting towards or parallel to the enemy.
>
>
> This would allow you to run sidways from cover to cover, or run towards the enemy, but would prevent you from turning around and running backwards.

This is madness. You shouldn’t take tactical options away from the player (especially defensive ones) just because YOU want more of your “deserved” kills. It will almost certainly break the game by giving combat consistently to those who merely land the first shot and rob their opponent of half of their effective range of motion.

> As for the speed, my rationale is this:
> 343I most likely isn’t going to remove sprint.
> So we should make sprint much less significant.
> If sprinting only gives a slight boost in speed, it does not lead to giant maps and other problems, and walking remains a viable option.

So basically sprint should be an insignificant gameplay option that you can easily play without. Why not remove it then? What you’re asking for is just that because while you still may leave sprint in as a pathetic technicality you remove it from any sort of meaningful force in gameplay. Regardless of how you feel about the ability what you shouldn’t want is compromised decisions that fill the game with fluff because the person in control couldn’t take a more decisive stand on the issue. It should be all (sprint in and it’s a part of gameplay) or nothing and in my experience the all is better for Halo.

> Sprint. Some love it. Some hate it.
>
> Chances are its going to be in the next Halo.
>
> The only real compromise I can come up with is when you get shot, you stop sprinting.
>
> This eliminates the “get out of jail free card” while allowing sprint to remain in the game, of course this only solves one of the major problems with sprint, but its the only real solution if we are to keep sprint in the game.
>
> So, yes or no?

I’m GLaD to see that I’m not the only one who’s had this idea…

Sprint’s main annoyance is that “get outta jail free card”, and a De-Sprint mechanic quells that issue. The only other main problem with Sprint is the lack of being able to disable it, and that can easily be fixed.

Otherwise, Sprint is a really helpful tool for traveling quickly through maps and it supports team contributions (When your Flag Carrier is halfway across the Map and needs immediate assistance). Sprint also helps Machinimas in some extent.

> > Sprint. Some love it. Some hate it.
> >
> > Chances are its going to be in the next Halo.
> >
> > The only real compromise I can come up with is when you get shot, you stop sprinting.
> >
> > This eliminates the “get out of jail free card” while allowing sprint to remain in the game, of course this only solves one of the major problems with sprint, but its the only real solution if we are to keep sprint in the game.
> >
> > So, yes or no?
>
> <mark>Are you saying that when you get shot, you stop moving altogether?</mark>
> Or just that you just slow down? Because this is already in Halo 4 and sprint is still a problem.

You don’t stop moving, but just get knocked out of Sprint. It’s as easy as that.

> I think you misinterpreted me.
>
> I merely mean you slow down to walking speed when you are shot running away.
>
> However, you would not be effected if you were shot sprinting towards or parallel to the enemy.
>
> This would allow you to run sidways from cover to cover, or run towards the enemy, but would prevent you from turning around and running backwards.
>
> As for the speed, my rationale is this:
> 343I most likely isn’t going to remove sprint.
> So we should make sprint much less significant.
> If sprinting only gives a slight boost in speed, it does not lead to giant maps and other problems, and walking remains a viable option.

Yeah I know what you mean.

I’m trying to picture it in my head and I’m still seeing advantages and disadvantages. I think I would have to see it in action before I could make my mind up on this one.

I definitely think that the best compromise for sprint is to have it closer to the base speed than it is in its current state.

I must say, if sprint only gives a slight boost in speed, it would still create the problems we have now, but just to a much lesser extent, which would be a good thing of course (for those of us who dislike sprint).

As someone who also believes that sprint will most likely stay in Halo for good, reducing the difference in speed between base speed and sprint, is something I would gladly settle for. I hope that sprint fans would too.

> > > Sprint. Some love it. Some hate it.
> > >
> > > Chances are its going to be in the next Halo.
> > >
> > > The only real compromise I can come up with is when you get shot, you stop sprinting.
> > >
> > > This eliminates the “get out of jail free card” while allowing sprint to remain in the game, of course this only solves one of the major problems with sprint, but its the only real solution if we are to keep sprint in the game.
> > >
> > > So, yes or no?
> >
> > <mark>Are you saying that when you get shot, you stop moving altogether?</mark>
> > Or just that you just slow down? Because this is already in Halo 4 and sprint is still a problem.
>
> You don’t stop moving, but just get knocked out of Sprint. It’s as easy as that.

Ah ok I see where you’re coming from.

So are you talking about being knocked out of sprint for a few seconds, or just literally while they are being shot?

I can see being knocked out of sprint for a few seconds working actually.

> Sprint’s main annoyance is that “get outta jail free card”, and a De-Sprint mechanic quells that issue.

As 343 implemented in Halo 4. You don’t have your knee-caps broken (ie. you don’t stop sprinting and present your merry -Yoink- to any fools DMR) but you do slow down when getting shot while sprinting. It’s stopped the worst abuses of sprinting (as they were in Reach, sprint+melee or sprint+cowardice) and without resorting to anything so drastic as what the OP is suggesting.

Knowledge is power.

> This is madness. You shouldn’t take tactical options away from the player (especially defensive ones) just because YOU want more of your “deserved” kills. It will almost certainly break the game by giving combat consistently to those who merely land the first shot and rob their opponent of half of their effective range of motion.

I don’t follow. People couldn’t sprint in the past and were fully capable of winning battles where the enemy got the first shot.

Nor do any of my suggestions limit movement outside of sprinting.

As an after thought, doesn’t sprint promote what you are referring to? If I don’t get the first shot I can just keep sprinting away from battles until I find one where I have the advantage.

If you don’t want see-first shoot-first, then fix the strafing mechanics, and add a significant skillgap to aiming.

> What you’re asking for is just that because while you still may leave sprint in as a pathetic technicality you remove it from any sort of meaningful force in gameplay. Regardless of how you feel about the ability what you shouldn’t want is compromised decisions that fill the game with fluff because the person in control couldn’t take a more decisive stand on the issue.

Do I like fluff? No.

Are the developers going to come to a decisive stance? Also no.

I’m just realizing the reality of the situation.

I rarely suggest to outright remove things from the sandbox, even AAs, which I believe should be put as on-map pickups instead, shouldn’t go.

But sprint doesn’t work in competitive Halo, just remove it. It messes with map design (meaning we can’t have true CQC maps like Guardian or Midship), promotes cheap gameplay, instead of being tactical and smart about your engagements, and is just an overall detriment to the skill element of Halo gunfights.

Keep base speed at Halo 3/4 levels, and be done with it. Sprint was just put in to appease fans from other franchises, but it doesn’t work and Halo needn’t be like every other shooter. Unreal Tournament, Quake, Team Fortress and a ton of other shooters don’t have sprint, look to them for innovation, as Halo should aim to be closer to true arena shooters than contemporary fluff shooters.

> I don’t follow. People couldn’t sprint in the past and were fully capable of winning battles where the enemy got the first shot.
>
> Nor does any of my suggestions limit movement outside of sprinting.

Eh…

In a game WITHOUT sprint having it disabled under fire means absolutely nothing. You could win a fight in Halo 1, 2, 3, or ODST if you didn’t like your buddies a whole lot just fine WITHOUT SPRINT under any circumstance but if you DO have it in a game like Halo Reach or Halo 4 it’s an advantage to have it when your opponent DOESN’T. Therefore if you knock it out completely (either by de-sprinting or by forcing your opponent to run forward or crawl backwards) you’re giving a lot to whomever can knock sprint out first. They can be more mobile, they can be more evasive for whatever period of time passes between that first shot and when their opponent can manage to return another.

As it is you are merely given a slight speed penalty while trying to sprint while getting shot and the advantage that gives the aggressor isn’t too outrageous. It stops the jail-breakers but not by eliminating defensive options, not absolutely. Change that and you will have problems.

> Do I like fluff? No.
>
> Are the developers going to come to a decisive stance? Also no.
>
> I’m just realizing the reality of the situation.

No, you’re not. You see people who want sprint and perhaps the definite need in gameplay to be able to move more quickly at times but not all the time. However you also want Halo 1/2/3 to some degree (even if it’s just on the matter of sprinting.) You may try to reconcile the difference by trying to create Halo 1/2/3 (ie. remove sprint as a significant gameplay option) with the one condition that you still need to have something called sprint but that simply ignores what the game needs now, ie. reality because it doesn’t just need something that is technically a sprint function. It’s needs the effective gameplay option.