Sprint poll

I don’t know about sprint. Seems that the old community don’t want it and the new want it. And me, i just don’t know.

Sprint is that little “power up” in Reach, 4, and 5 that allows you to run at full speed. The dictionary definition says that sprinting is running at full speed for a short period of time with a rest break between sprints. With an ordinance ability in 4 and regular ability in 5, sprint does not live up to its dictionary definition.

During the time that it has been around, the maps have stretched in size, kill times have decreased, and players will try to run away from fights, never to be caught by the enemy. Many players (myself included) see these as bad things for halo, and will lead to failure in the long run.

I don’t like sprint from a developer standpoint, simply because in a game like Halo, with slower kill times, it speeds up the gameplay, and forces everything else to speed up too. To slow it down, the level designer have to stretch maps out. Look at the size difference between Midship, Heretic, (the reach version, I forget the name), and Truth. As a game developer, I see that negatively impacting gameplay. Some games it may work though, like COD, GoW, and a noncompetitive single player game like Skyrim, Fallout, or Borderlands.

many people disagree, saying that it doesn’t stretch maps or harm gameplay, and it just adds a fun new way to escape. And I suppose that could be true, however in Halo 4, I can almost never escape being shot and dying. Halo 3 I can though.

That’s my 2 cents at least.

Props OP for an actual comprehensive poll. I still voted no, but props still.

> 2533274944267503;2:
> Sprint is that little “power up” in Reach, 4, and 5 that allows you to run at full speed. The dictionary definition says that sprinting is running at full speed for a short period of time with a rest break between sprints. With an ordinance ability in 4 and regular ability in 5, sprint does not live up to its dictionary definition.
>
> During the time that it has been around, the maps have stretched in size, kill times have decreased, and players will try to run away from fights, never to be caught by the enemy. Many players (myself included) see these as bad things for halo, and will lead to failure in the long run.
>
> I don’t like sprint from a developer standpoint, simply because in a game like Halo, with slower kill times, it speeds up the gameplay, and forces everything else to speed up too. To slow it down, the level designer have to stretch maps out. Look at the size difference between Midship, Heretic, (the reach version, I forget the name), and Truth. As a game developer, I see that negatively impacting gameplay. Some games it may work though, like COD, GoW, and a noncompetitive single player game like Skyrim, Fallout, or Borderlands.
>
> many people disagree, saying that it doesn’t stretch maps or harm gameplay, and it just adds a fun new way to escape. And I suppose that could be true, however in Halo 4, I can almost never escape being shot and dying. Halo 3 I can though.
>
> That’s my 2 cents at least.

I agree with your two cents and will add that all the pacing problems people feel can easily be added with an increased movement speed. People never really avoided playing Halo in my experience because of no sprint, but people are now avoiding it because of sprint.

It just feels like 343 isn’t trying to make their own game and evolve halo and want to borrow as much from CoD as they can get away with.

The Classic game mode won’t work well with the size of the new maps, they are designed for sprint and clamber. I don’t want either in the game but it’s going to happen no matter what.

> 2533274944267503;2:
> Sprint is that little “power up” in Reach, 4, and 5 that allows you to run at full speed. The dictionary definition says that sprinting is running at full speed for a short period of time with a rest break between sprints. With an ordinance ability in 4 and regular ability in 5, sprint does not live up to its dictionary definition.
>
> During the time that it has been around, the maps have stretched in size, kill times have decreased, and players will try to run away from fights, never to be caught by the enemy. Many players (myself included) see these as bad things for halo, and will lead to failure in the long run.
>
> I don’t like sprint from a developer standpoint, simply because in a game like Halo, with slower kill times, it speeds up the gameplay, and forces everything else to speed up too. To slow it down, the level designer have to stretch maps out. Look at the size difference between Midship, Heretic, (the reach version, I forget the name), and Truth. As a game developer, I see that negatively impacting gameplay. Some games it may work though, like COD, GoW, and a noncompetitive single player game like Skyrim, Fallout, or Borderlands.
>
> many people disagree, saying that it doesn’t stretch maps or harm gameplay, and it just adds a fun new way to escape. And I suppose that could be true, however in Halo 4, I can almost never escape being shot and dying. Halo 3 I can though.
>
> That’s my 2 cents at least.

Do you have proof that you are a game developer lol? Just curious.

> 2533274876257384;5:
> > 2533274944267503;2:
> > Sprint is that little “power up” in Reach, 4, and 5 that allows you to run at full speed. The dictionary definition says that sprinting is running at full speed for a short period of time with a rest break between sprints. With an ordinance ability in 4 and regular ability in 5, sprint does not live up to its dictionary definition.
> >
> > During the time that it has been around, the maps have stretched in size, kill times have decreased, and players will try to run away from fights, never to be caught by the enemy. Many players (myself included) see these as bad things for halo, and will lead to failure in the long run.
> >
> > I don’t like sprint from a developer standpoint, simply because in a game like Halo, with slower kill times, it speeds up the gameplay, and forces everything else to speed up too. To slow it down, the level designer have to stretch maps out. Look at the size difference between Midship, Heretic, (the reach version, I forget the name), and Truth. As a game developer, I see that negatively impacting gameplay. Some games it may work though, like COD, GoW, and a noncompetitive single player game like Skyrim, Fallout, or Borderlands.
> >
> > many people disagree, saying that it doesn’t stretch maps or harm gameplay, and it just adds a fun new way to escape. And I suppose that could be true, however in Halo 4, I can almost never escape being shot and dying. Halo 3 I can though.
> >
> > That’s my 2 cents at least.
>
>
>
> Do you have proof that you are a game developer lol? Just curious.

My portfolio: http://nstavish2014.wix.com/nstavportfolio I’m a Creative Director, Art Director, and Level designer across three different indie companies. I’ve only been doing it for two years, but yes.

EDIT: You can also view my profile which mentions that I’m a game designer.

I don’t want sprint in Halo 5, but it’s going to be there anyways. I still think Halo 5: Guardians will be good, even with sprint. However, we still have hope to take it out of Halo 6: Assailants.

> 2533274831961512;3:
> Props OP for an actual comprehensive poll. I still voted no, but props still.
>
> > 2533274944267503;2:
> > Sprint is that little “power up” in Reach, 4, and 5 that allows you to run at full speed. The dictionary definition says that sprinting is running at full speed for a short period of time with a rest break between sprints. With an ordinance ability in 4 and regular ability in 5, sprint does not live up to its dictionary definition.
> >
> > During the time that it has been around, the maps have stretched in size, kill times have decreased, and players will try to run away from fights, never to be caught by the enemy. Many players (myself included) see these as bad things for halo, and will lead to failure in the long run.
> >
> > I don’t like sprint from a developer standpoint, simply because in a game like Halo, with slower kill times, it speeds up the gameplay, and forces everything else to speed up too. To slow it down, the level designer have to stretch maps out. Look at the size difference between Midship, Heretic, (the reach version, I forget the name), and Truth. As a game developer, I see that negatively impacting gameplay. Some games it may work though, like COD, GoW, and a noncompetitive single player game like Skyrim, Fallout, or Borderlands.
> >
> > many people disagree, saying that it doesn’t stretch maps or harm gameplay, and it just adds a fun new way to escape. And I suppose that could be true, however in Halo 4, I can almost never escape being shot and dying. Halo 3 I can though.
> >
> > That’s my 2 cents at least.
>
>
> I agree with your two cents and will add that all the pacing problems people feel can easily be added with an increased movement speed. People never really avoided playing Halo in my experience because of no sprint, but people are now avoiding it because of sprint.
>
> It just feels like 343 isn’t trying to make their own game and evolve halo and want to borrow as much from CoD as they can get away with.

Bingo. 343 messed up by going with Sprint again.
They underestimated the hate and the impact it has on Halo gameplay. Now they’re going to pay the price for not listening.

Sprint is ok in my opinion
(I’m not talking about the sprint implemented in halo)

Sprint is that thing that every real soldier or special forces uses but limited,very carefully and strategically. Its the thing rookies use to sprint randomly through areas containing enemies, and get killed. It’s a option to get around fast in safe area’s or large battlefields.
It’s something you can’t usually do when you’re injured.
It’s not used much at all on tiny maps. It is a bad idea, almost suicide on small or close quarters maps.

If people are using it wrong fix it.

If people use it to escape and its a bad thing. make it not work when you’re injured.

If it’s used too often when people engage in battle, even out the speed between base movement and sprint. Or increase the time it takes to raise your weapon after.

If kill times are to fast, decrease the overall movement speed.

Build maps based on the base movement speed, if sprint is balanced right it will almost be absent from small maps, because tactically it’s bad to sprint through area’s that may contain enemies. Skillful player will not sprint on small maps unless necessary. The pro player would tactically move in with their guns ready just like soldiers.

There would be many ways to use sprint to your advantage, but it would punish you when use it wrong.

In my opinion halo needs to evolve, i think if halo 2 or 3 was new today it wouldn’t be close to how popular it was back then. It true that many player left because of halo reach and 4, but it’s also true that many moved on to newer games with sprint and non tactical games. No matter how bad reach and 4 were, they were still better at halo than the hugely populated console shooters. But people still play the more modern feeling easy games.

I have a question couple of questions for certain parts of the community.

Dislike Sprint people- most fps players prefer faster gameplay than what classic halo games have to offer, how do you think we should fix that problem? Or do you believe classic halo speed is fine.
Sprint in Campaign people- why do you want sprint in campaign instead of a increase in base speed?

I think halo 5 will give a awesome modern feeling game, that is more tactical and difficult to play. modern looking and shiny enough To draw people in, And hold them with the learning curve visible rank, even starts, and many of halos awesome features.

This sprint stuff is just my opinion, most of you on here dislike sprint and I’m fine with that. I understand way myself, and I believe most of the fps community can’t understand what sprint did to halo because they were not around. Many of them pick up h3 and find out how slow the movement feels, that it doesn’t have sprint Orr ADS, and they quickly move on.

> 2533274968423221;9:
> Dislike Sprint people- most fps players prefer faster gameplay than what classic halo games have to offer, how do you think we should fix that problem? Or do you believe classic halo speed is fine.

Sprint doesn’t increase the pace of the game. It only increases the movement speed of the character. If people want to feel fast, there are many things that can be done…

Change the FoV.
Decrease the size of the maps back to what they were.
Increase movement speed altogether.

Halo CE has some seriously fast gameplay if you really step back and look at it. It’s possible to spawn out in the open, so you’re if you play decent people who understand the game, they are going to constantly be attacking you, which means you have to constantly fight back.

I feel that most people have a problem with Halo’s non-sprinting speed because most play BTB. Idk why. It is fun, but it’s utter chaos for the most part. But when you play BTB, of course the maps are going to have to be bigger to allow the vehicles to get around, so therefore it’s going to take longer to get from point A to point B. Also, without sprint, it allows the game to naturally progress in a Tug-of-War fashion. Lets use Valhalla as an example since it’s in both H3 and H4. In H3, when you push onto the other teams side, one of two things happen… (this is assuming a Slayer gametype)

• the other team kills enough people to push back towards the top of the hill to gain control of the hill top so they can start to attack the enemy base.
    This is the idea behind map control. If I can push the enemy back and pin them down.
  • The base spawns will switch. When the spawns switch, it means that one team pushed completely over into the other teams base and there was no more space for the dying team to spawn, so they then started spawning in the opposite teams base as it was the safest place. This does two things. It alleviates the dying team by giving them a safe spawn and allowing them to regroup and make a push back to the top of the hill and then it also allows the attacking team to grab any ammo, power ups, whatever… and then it’s like the game is starting from scratch, but one team has more power because they were able to over power the other team.

When sprint is involved, people think they need to rush back and help their team and it just becomes a game of running back into the fight to just die or without setting up again. It becomes less of a thinking game and more of a mindless running game. The way Halo is built, you are supposed to think about what you are doing and why you are doing things. I understand it’s not intuitive to think about killing people, but positioning and timing are big things and if you aren’t thinking about where you are going and what you are doing, then you aren’t going to be the most effective against like skilled opponents who do.

There are those who will say that Sprint speeds up how fast you have to react and think about things, but in reality, with the maps being inherently larger because sprint is in the game, you still have the exact same amount of time to think about it, just farther to travel, which means positioning isn’t as important and if you are always sprinting, then timing becomes less important because you can always just push the “Go Faster” button.

I why I feel sprint and 343’s decisions are ruining Halo.

I’ve been playing halo since its inception and like the addition of sprint. The only thing I didn’t get is how they got tired when they’re supposed to be hyper-lethal vectors.

Honestly I don’t have any problem with Sprint. I’m actually happy they put it in. I really only use sprint when I’m trying to get to the action, jump across long chasms, or assassinate somebody.

Sprint is here to stay.

I don’t see how no one wants sprint. Being able to sprint makes the game feel more modern and realistic. It makes the game play feel so much faster. After playing Halo 4 the other Halo games play so slow and clunky now. During Halo 2 or 3 its like ok I will get to the other side of the map and or in the fight… give me an hour to walk there. They need to keep sprint at this point. Also you are telling me that Spartans… super soldiers of the future should only be able to walk, crouch, jump and trigger pull? come on now this is 2015 get with the times. game consoles are more powerful than ever and you will want abilities from like the late 90s or early 2000s? Heck even Mario from Super Mario Brothers on Nintendo could sprint.

> 2533274816505286;13:
> Sprint is here to stay.

That is not a valid reason for it to stay. It’s recursive. Circular.

It would be like saying that Jet Pack is here to stay after having Halo Reach and Halo 4 both having Jet Pack - even though it’s obviously removed from Halo 5.

> 2533274816788253;14:
> I don’t see how no one wants sprint. Being able to sprint makes the game feel more modern and realistic. It makes the game play feel so much faster. After playing Halo 4 the other Halo games play so slow and clunky now. During Halo 2 or 3 its like ok I will get to the other side of the map and or in the fight… give me an hour to walk there. They need to keep sprint at this point. Also you are telling me that Spartans… super soldiers of the future should only be able to walk, crouch, jump and trigger pull? come on now this is 2015 get with the times. game consoles are more powerful than ever and you will want abilities from like the late 90s or early 2000s? Heck even Mario from Super Mario Brothers on Nintendo could sprint.

Stop. Just stop. Stop trying to justify the existence of a mechanic by using rhetorical bullcrap buzzwords such as “modern”. Stop trying to justify a mechanic with what you define as “realistic” (in a game that has foundations from an arcade arena shooter of all things), and quit attempting to use other games as an example to justify the existence of a mechanic.

Super Mario Brothers isn’t even a First Person Shooter. They are not analogous.

And really? It takes you an hour to walk from one end of the map to the other? Please. Cease your generalisations and exaggerated hyperbole.

I think people look into this too much. Sprint is in, no matter how much you agree / disagree, so suck it up.

For me gameplay is king, and the gameplay is fun!
I don’t believe this to be opinion either. Who cares if it’s competitive or not, or whether this skill or that ability is competitive or “right for Halo”.
If it’s not fun, people won’t play it.

I also believe that over things like sprint, we should be asking about the longevity of the game. Are there many unlocks? What will keep me coming back?

I voted for a classic game mode, as I think this would be a great playlist for purists to go.

But personally, as long as normally slayer is like the Beta i’m going to love this game.

I don’t care much if sprint is in the game. If it has sprint, i’ll use it; if there’s no sprint, i’ll not complain. But, seeing how many people don’t like sprint and many others really like it, i think doing a playlist without the new spartan abilites would be nice

> 2533274881015020;16:
> > 2533274816788253;14:
> > I don’t see how no one wants sprint. Being able to sprint makes the game feel more modern and realistic. It makes the game play feel so much faster. After playing Halo 4 the other Halo games play so slow and clunky now. During Halo 2 or 3 its like ok I will get to the other side of the map and or in the fight… give me an hour to walk there. They need to keep sprint at this point. Also you are telling me that Spartans… super soldiers of the future should only be able to walk, crouch, jump and trigger pull? come on now this is 2015 get with the times. game consoles are more powerful than ever and you will want abilities from like the late 90s or early 2000s? Heck even Mario from Super Mario Brothers on Nintendo could sprint.
>
>
> Stop. Just stop. Stop trying to justify the existence of a mechanic by using rhetorical bullcrap buzzwords such as “modern”. Stop trying to justify a mechanic with what you define as “realistic” (in a game that has foundations from an arcade arena shooter of all things), and quit attempting to use other games as an example to justify the existence of a mechanic.
>
> Super Mario Brothers isn’t even a First Person Shooter. They are not analogous.
>
> And really? It takes you an hour to walk from one end of the map to the other? Please. Cease your generalisations and exaggerated hyperbole.

Please get over yourself. I can use what ever reason I want why I like Sprint in Halo. Sorry you like the old walk every style of game play. If that is what you like you have MCC to play. For those of us who like a more modern and realistic feel to our game play we will move on to Halo 5. I get why people don’t like Sprint they don’t like the faster game play and or they can’t handle a change in game play. And yes it seems like forever now navigating maps without sprint.

> 2533274816788253;19:
> > 2533274881015020;16:
> > > 2533274816788253;14:
> > > I don’t see how no one wants sprint. Being able to sprint makes the game feel more modern and realistic. It makes the game play feel so much faster. After playing Halo 4 the other Halo games play so slow and clunky now. During Halo 2 or 3 its like ok I will get to the other side of the map and or in the fight… give me an hour to walk there. They need to keep sprint at this point. Also you are telling me that Spartans… super soldiers of the future should only be able to walk, crouch, jump and trigger pull? come on now this is 2015 get with the times. game consoles are more powerful than ever and you will want abilities from like the late 90s or early 2000s? Heck even Mario from Super Mario Brothers on Nintendo could sprint.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Stop. Just stop. Stop trying to justify the existence of a mechanic by using rhetorical bullcrap buzzwords such as “modern”. Stop trying to justify a mechanic with what you define as “realistic” (in a game that has foundations from an arcade arena shooter of all things), and quit attempting to use other games as an example to justify the existence of a mechanic.
> >
> > Super Mario Brothers isn’t even a First Person Shooter. They are not analogous.
> >
> > And really? It takes you an hour to walk from one end of the map to the other? Please. Cease your generalisations and exaggerated hyperbole.
>
>
>
>
> Please get over yourself. I can use what ever reason I want why I like Sprint in Halo. Sorry you like the old walk every style of game play. If that is what you like you have MCC to play. For those of us who like a more modern and realistic feel to our game play we will move on to Halo 5. I get why people don’t like Sprint they don’t like the faster game play and or they can’t handle a change in game play. And yes it seems like forever now navigating maps without sprint.

You should take a look in the mirror. And no, you can’t flippantly use flawed logic and biased, opinionated beliefs to justify a mechanic that has been proven to not be objectively beneficial to the fundamentals of Halo’s gameplay. Maybe you should “adapt” to not being over-reliant on having to move faster instead. See how that weak rhetoric can be turned around?

And if by “more modern” you mean mainstream, then yes, I agree with you. 343industries outwardly stated that they were developing the new trilogy for a broader demographic. They’re not developing it primarily for the core Halo population anymore as Halo is a triple-A title that’s now competing against other triple-A titles.