Sprint Melee and A New Upgraded Meele System.

With everything being updated in Halo 4, it is about time our current meele system be upgraded. In Halo Lore spartans are experts in martial art. It would be nice to see this someway implemented to multiplayer in a non complicated way.

Therefore i propose to 343 this simple new system.

Aiming system- Where your reticule is placed is where your beatdown will land. Aiming at certian body parts will result in slightly differing damage. BAck, Head, Arms, Torso, And Legs will all be the target spots.

Hitting the back and the head would result in the most damage. Next would be the arms and legs, and finally, being able to take the biggest beating, the torso.

Sprint Melee would work when a player is in full sprint. While sprinting if a player melees they will perform a “knockback kick” that does more damage than a normal melee and knocks the receiving player back a few feet. However if the player is in a slow sprint (being shot at in sprint) they do a normal kick with no knockback and slightly to moderately more damage than a normal melee. Normal melees will be normal, but dependent on the aiming system.

This this system would bring more meta game to the melee part of halo, thus increasing the skill gap and furthering halo 4 in a competitive aspect.

What is the community’s opinion on this idea? Do you support it or not? Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

Sounds like it would be way too complicated to work well. People will try to hit someone in the leg and end up hitting them on the back. The melee is probably gonna be exactly the same as every other Halo game.

I don’t really like the part about different body parts doing different damage. (Aside from the back-hit 1SK that is in every Halo game)

But, that part about the Sprint kick is awesome!

Extra damage for Sprint+Beatdown? Lolno.

Melee’s should do no damage, but knock enemies back, IMO.
CQC weapons need to shine, and this would emphasize their importance in close-ranged engagements.

> Sounds like it would be way too complicated to work well. People will try to hit someone in the leg and end up hitting them on the back. The melee is probably gonna be exactly the same as every other Halo game.

Where ever your reticule is at the time of beat down is where your beat down will land.

With a good hitbox system it would not be that complicated at all. The back would be the back, the normal assassinations would not change. Yes players would miss there intended target marks all the time, but a beat down would still be a beat down. Even if you didn’t hit in the best of location a hit, will count as a hit (just not quite as high if u hit a torso vs a head) and a total miss would be a miss, just like it is now in Halo.

Other games have done this, cant see why Halo cant.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

No. The beauty of Halo lies within its simplicity.

> Extra damage for Sprint+Beatdown? Lolno.
>
> Melee’s should do no damage, but knock enemies back, IMO.
> CQC weapons need to shine, and this would emphasize their importance in close-ranged engagements.

Yes extra damage if you can land a kick. It will be much harder to land a kick than a normal meele, thus the trade off.

> No. The beauty of Halo lies within its simplicity.

Halo 4 is in no way simple. The Classic playlist is for you my friend.

If 343 is going all out with new mechancis, why not add some that actually add to the skill gap, not take it away.

Besides, my system is really not that complicated at its core. Instead of Two Meele hit-boxes, there are five. Have you ever played Republic Commando ?
Headshot beat-downs were pro.

I would like to see some accuracy play a factor in cqb like it did in Halo 2. I remember in Halo 2 melees were body specific, and a jump up then downward to the head melee would do a lot of damage.

Regarding Sprint melee – I am fine if it causes some knockback, but not extra damage. And additionally, any direct gun fire to someone sprinting at you should interrupt the sprint and/or melee.

Personally I think that would be an awesome idea but it’s too complicated as said in previous comments and it’s not halo. Were playing a shooting game for cryin out load, people would be all ‘hey let me beat down this guy instead of using my gun’. This isn’t street fighter or dead or alive4 where they had a halo spartan character cough cough* still a cool idea though

> I would like to see some accuracy play a factor in cqb like it did in Halo 2. I remember in Halo 2 melees were body specific, and a jump up then downward to the head melee would do a lot of damage.
>
> Regarding Sprint melee – I am fine if it causes some knockback, but not extra damage. And additionally, any direct gun fire to someone sprinting at you should interrupt the sprint and/or melee.

Good to see someone who understands. Halo 2 did have a much better melee system, even with Bxr and bxb, although over powered, in many ways still took much skill to be pro at.

I was thinking that you would have to “pre set” up for the kick(aim ahead of time), thus landing a kick would require more skill than a normal melee and the boost in damage is reward. Yet even having just a kickback is a good reward. Especially on vertical maps if you get what im hinting at…

Agree with the direct gunfire addition as well.

> Personally I think that would be an awesome idea but it’s too complicated as said in previous comments and it’s not halo. Were playing a shooting game for cryin out load, people would be all ‘hey let me beat down this guy instead of using my gun’. This isn’t street fighter or dead or alive4 where they had a halo spartan character cough cough* still a cool idea though

Whats funny is that with Halo 2 it sort of was, with all the button combos and all.

Halo 2 was the glory days MLG. Watching Halo 3 MLG, while still somewhat exciting, was nothing compared to the excitement of watching the superheros of Halo 2.

sounds cool but i have to say no, with aim assist and connection qualities it will create random outcomes and produce different outcomes then intended, lagg registering hits in different locations then you hit on your screen and aim assist pulling your aim off where you want it to be slightly making you do a different hit.

there would be other problems, if its an animation like the assassinations then it also prevents people from being able to actually play for a short period of time, with its overall complexity will actually take away from melee and put more emphasize on guns and grenades, i worry that it would do this to much to the point no one melees.

> sounds cool but i have to say no, with aim assist and connection qualities it will create random outcomes and produce different outcomes then intended, lagg registering hits in different locations then you hit on your screen and aim assist pulling your aim off where you want it to be slightly making you do a different hit.
>
> there would be other problems, if its an animation like the assassinations then it also prevents people from being able to actually play for a short period of time, with its overall complexity will actually take away from melee and put more emphasize on guns and grenades, i worry that it would do this to much to the point no one melees.

The melees damage differences would be minimal, but existent. With a good hit-scan Hitbox system it is very possible to achieve this type of aim system. Its literally no difference between a DMR shooting the Head hitbox and The body hitbox. Sure there is that blur zone where your going WTF? but its not that bad, and with only a small damage change between the arms/legs and torso. I don’t see how it couldn’t work. There are other games that use a system similar to this and are much much older yet still work… Have you played Republic Commando?

As for the Sprint Kick it would not be animated at all. For a short time you would carry forward momentum in the direction you pressed melee if you miss your target.

how would it effect the person you’re hitting?
hit him in the knees forces him to crouch?

> how would it effect the person you’re hitting?
> hit him in the knees forces him to crouch?

In health damage/shield damage.

These are all fake values but for a comparison.

Back is a instant kill, head is worth 10 points, arms/legs are worth 5 and the torso is worth 4