Sprint: It isn't a balance issue

I’ve seen some people talk about trying to balance sprint so it would work in Halo 4. The issue about that isn’t about balance and such, it’s about the gameplay.

For example: The Ray Gun in CoD: World at War. It’s fun and goofy for campaign, sure. But we wouldn’t think about putting it in multiplayer. That wouldn’t make sense! We could balance it all we want but we’ll still have laser guns in a WWII game.
We could add killstreaks to Halo and balance them, but it changes the gameplay too much. It just isn’t Halo.

Just like sprint (and evade). It just isn’t Halo. Armor Abilities. You guys debate on what’s balanced and what isn’t. The truth remains, it just changes the gameplay too much. Armor Abilities became the main part of Reach’s gameplay. The triangle turned into a square. It wasn’t mainly about guns grenades and melee anymore, armor abilities became a heavy part of gameplay as well. It became something so different from what we know about Halo.

What I did really like was Equipment. It was a light part of gameplay. It varied combat and freshened it up, while still keeping the fresh taste of Halo. It added a layer of skill, intelligence, and strategy. Getting a hold of Equipment could save or aid you if used properly. If an enemy used a Bubble Shield, you would have to think how to counter it with guns, grenades, and melee. There are rare situations where a piece of equipment would counter another, like somebody used a Regenerator and the other uses a Power Drain to counter. Those were very rare. But it was still fun. Like Sniping on The Pit inside a regenerator, or using a Grav Lift on Sandbox to get to the flag quicker, or about to get rocketed and throw a Bubble Shield to narrowly save you and your team. Same goes for dual wielding

I got a bit off topic. Discuss.

you make a really good point

AA aren’t HALO

but random equipment is

i miss my bubbles!

I’m torn on keeping sprint or not. I have become accustomed to it and it would feel weird without it but at the same time I enjoyed the more simple gameplay of Halo 3. I guess just bump up the movement speed and it would be fine.

> you make a really good point
>
> AA aren’t HALO
>
>
> but random equipment is
>
>
> i miss my bubbles!

You sound a bit sarcastic there.

But anyway, Loadouts can be kept for special gametypes (Invasion and such) but use Equipment instead!

Also, I want my Bubble Shield to be indestructible! Seriously though, what good is it if it can’t withstand a tank round or a couple of rockets.

And speaking of vehicles, power down the Sniper! I don’t care how powerful that round is, that is just stupid that 4 shots can take down a Banshee (please bring back the Halo 3 Banshee, that thing was perfectly balanced and fun!) and a few can take down a tank, we might as well not even get in them!

> > you make a really good point
> >
> > AA aren’t HALO
> >
> >
> > but random equipment is
> >
> >
> > i miss my bubbles!
>
> You sound a bit sarcastic there.
>
> But anyway, Loadouts can be kept for special gametypes (Invasion and such) but use Equipment instead!
>
> Also, I want my Bubble Shield to be indestructible! Seriously though, what good is it if it can’t withstand a tank round or a couple of rockets.
>
> And speaking of vehicles, power down the Sniper! I don’t care how powerful that round is, that is just stupid that 4 shots can take down a Banshee (please bring back the Halo 3 Banshee, that thing was perfectly balanced and fun!) and a few can take down a tank, we might as well not even get in them!

i wasn’t being sarcastic

loadouts… yeah keep them for invasion, and coustom games

the bubble sheild- EXACTLY, and also the fact that you can deployu one wherever you want, when you want it is kind of unfair in Team objective (the reason it got taken out)

sniper- THANK YOU!!! i can’t count the times some noob sniper blasts me out of my vehicle, snipers are ant-infantry weapons, not anti-armor weapons

in HALO 3, the sniper was perfect, as a skilled sniper could kill a pilot of a vehicle, without damaging the vehicle itself

banshee- yeah, OP banshee is OP
H3’s was good, but it felt slow
(i have no idea why)
but the fuel rod, should have a lock on to vehicles, but still be sorta useless… in a way

and i still miss my bubbles

I completely agree with this, this is how I feel about everything in Reach lol.

> > > you make a really good point
> > >
> > > AA aren’t HALO
> > >
> > >
> > > but random equipment is
> > >
> > >
> > > i miss my bubbles!
> >
> > You sound a bit sarcastic there.
> >
> > But anyway, Loadouts can be kept for special gametypes (Invasion and such) but use Equipment instead!
> >
> > Also, I want my Bubble Shield to be indestructible! Seriously though, what good is it if it can’t withstand a tank round or a couple of rockets.
> >
> > And speaking of vehicles, power down the Sniper! I don’t care how powerful that round is, that is just stupid that 4 shots can take down a Banshee (please bring back the Halo 3 Banshee, that thing was perfectly balanced and fun!) and a few can take down a tank, we might as well not even get in them!
>
> i wasn’t being sarcastic
>
> loadouts… yeah keep them for invasion, and coustom games
>
> the bubble sheild- EXACTLY, and also the fact that you can deployu one wherever you want, when you want it is kind of unfair in Team objective (the reason it got taken out)
>
>
> sniper- THANK YOU!!! i can’t count the times some noob sniper blasts me out of my vehicle, snipers are ant-infantry weapons, not anti-armor weapons
>
> in HALO 3, the sniper was perfect, as a skilled sniper could kill a pilot of a vehicle, without damaging the vehicle itself
>
> and i still miss my bubles

I know you weren’t being sarcastic.

Glad to see somebody agrees with me!

:slight_smile:

:relaxed::slight_smile::slight_smile::relaxed:

lol

> I’m torn on keeping sprint or not. I have become accustomed to it and it would feel weird without it but at the same time I enjoyed the more simple gameplay of Halo 3. I guess just bump up the movement speed and it would be fine.

Agreed.

I do think that there should be sprint in an ODST game. I don’t know, I just feel that I need that extra burst of speed from time to time. Especially on Lost Platoon. My god, it isn’t easy dodging Wraith mortars.

> > I’m torn on keeping sprint or not. I have become accustomed to it and it would feel weird without it but at the same time I enjoyed the more simple gameplay of Halo 3. I guess just bump up the movement speed and it would be fine.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I do think that there should be sprint in an ODST game. I don’t know, I just feel that I need that extra burst of speed from time to time. Especially on Lost Platoon. My god, it isn’t easy dodging Wraith mortars.

sure as hell is easy in Reach

incoming motar

ARMOR LOCK GOOOO!!!

wham…

Oh I see, so people just get to arbitrarily assign what gameplay aspects become something that is ‘Halo.’ I don’t think there is a problem with the idea of AAs. It is just the implementation.

I don’t particularly care for MLG but I do like the way they have AAs(well Jetpack and Evade) as pickups.

If AAs were placed around the map as pickups aside from minor abilities(IE Sprint) and could be exchanged even after death that would be much better. Or maybe they others could have different amount of uses(IE Jetpack fuel) and bring them closer to equipment.

I believe AAs(not necessarily all of them as they are now) have a place in ‘Halo’ but they were implemented in Reach was in a not very ‘Halo’ way. Understand the difference?

I love the way AA’s are used in MLG; it adds more than simple Camo and Overshield without making the implementation seem weird.

As for Sprint, I’ve become so accustomed to it that I find myself trying to Sprint in H3 on occasion.

> I’m torn on keeping sprint or not. I have become accustomed to it and it would feel weird without it but at the same time I enjoyed the more simple gameplay of Halo 3. I guess just bump up the movement speed and it would be fine.

If the movement speed in Halo 4 is increased alot from Halo Reach I think it wouldnt be a problem to play it without sprint.

I like sprint. Its a common game features in most shooters nowadays, and playing games without sprint feels weird to me now.

There is a lot they can do to help keep sprint as map navigation tool rather than being a combat avoidance tool. Such as having shots interrupt the sprint, or having shields recharge significantly slower if you are sprinting.

> I’ve seen some people talk about trying to balance sprint so it would work in Halo 4. The issue about that isn’t about balance and such, it’s about the gameplay.
>
> For example: The Ray Gun in CoD: World at War. It’s fun and goofy for campaign, sure. But we wouldn’t think about putting it in multiplayer. That wouldn’t make sense! We could balance it all we want but we’ll still have laser guns in a WWII game.
> We could add killstreaks to Halo and balance them, but it changes the gameplay too much. It just isn’t Halo.
>
> Just like sprint (and evade). It just isn’t Halo. Armor Abilities. You guys debate on what’s balanced and what isn’t. The truth remains, it just changes the gameplay too much. Armor Abilities became the main part of Reach’s gameplay. The triangle turned into a square. It wasn’t mainly about guns grenades and melee anymore, armor abilities became a heavy part of gameplay as well. It became something so different from what we know about Halo.
>
> What I did really like was Equipment. It was a light part of gameplay. It varied combat and freshened it up, while still keeping the fresh taste of Halo. It added a layer of skill, intelligence, and strategy. Getting a hold of Equipment could save or aid you if used properly. If an enemy used a Bubble Shield, you would have to think how to counter it with guns, grenades, and melee. There are rare situations where a piece of equipment would counter another, like somebody used a Regenerator and the other uses a Power Drain to counter. Those were very rare. But it was still fun. Like Sniping on The Pit inside a regenerator, or using a Grav Lift on Sandbox to get to the flag quicker, or about to get rocketed and throw a Bubble Shield to narrowly save you and your team. Same goes for dual wielding
>
> I got a bit off topic. Discuss.

AAs are not halo yet griffball and living dead are?

The fact of the matter is AAs are to this game what race was to CE, zombies were to H2, and griffball was to H3. They are are fun alternative to the regular slayer when it gets stale from time to time.

That being said AAs including sprint should never see halo outside of customs and 1 AA slayer playlist. The problem with reach was not its innovation of AAs but rather its overimplementation of them IN EVERY SINGLE PLAYLIST. AAs are a blast when playing squad or TS, but they just are not Halo when played competitively. Just as Living dead can not be played competitively neither can AA slayer, even if its setting are like lolarena.

I’d prefer no AA’s or equipment. To me, equipment was just a less powerful predecessor to AA’s, except you obviously didn’t spawn with them.

> …and bring them closer to equipment.
> If you are attempting to make them more like equipment, why not just full on bring back equipment?
>
>
> As far as sprint, I see no need. A slight bump up in movement speed should suffice for making us move faster while also not causing the problems sprint did to the extent it did because everyone could move that fast then.

I agree OP.

You speak of armor abilities as a whole, but keeping sprint and only sprint isn’t a bad thing. People like to blame other problems on sprint. Double melee was because of bleedthrough, not sprint. People running is because of slow kill times, not sprint. It speeds up gameplay and is useful for traversing large maps. I think if they gave it a longer duration, a longer recovery time for shooting/meleeing after sprinting, and removed that annoying panting, sprint would be awesome for Halo 4.

It’s a new game mechanic that a lot of games use, including Skyrim and Zelda. It’s evolution, and we have to embrace it or at least deal with it. It didn’t ruin Reach, and there’s no reason why it isn’t Halo just because CoD uses it.

> > …and bring them closer to equipment.
> > If you are attempting to make them more like equipment, why not just full on bring back equipment?
> >
> >
> > As far as sprint, I see no need. A slight bump up in movement speed should suffice for making us move faster while also not causing the problems sprint did to the extent it did because everyone could move that fast then.
>
> I didn’t say that that is exactly how it has to go. I just meant we don’t have to through away a concept just because some nonresistant invisible council deems it not ‘Halo’
>
> If calling it equipment even though it could be used more than once but not necessarily unlimited either.
>
> As for sprint increased base speed works just fine too. Again I am just calling out this ridiculous notion that just because something new is added to the series does not suddenly make it not ‘Halo’
>
> I just don’t want to see the series stagnate and fail to evolve ala CoD.