sprint is benificial for competitive play. EDIT

A lot of talk has been goin on about how sprint isnt competitive. it is in my opinion however that if placed in correctly into halo 4 that it may be the best thing for competitive play. my reasons are as follows.
reason 1. many people complain that it lets an unskilled player get away which is bad becuase you didnt get the kill… to the other player it is very benificial in a competitive environment becuase it gives the player a chance to escape then out flank the enemy who he was fighting then proceed to get the kill.
reason 2. positioning. people say that sprint makes it so a player who has a bad position can easily get to the action to help his team mates despite being in a bad position. all though this is true sprint also helps positioning becuase it makes it so you can hold larger areas becuase you can sprint to them faster.
there are plent of other reasons i think sprint is benificial but unfortuanetly reach didnt have it in correctly. in order for it to be truely competitive certain things would need to change. first of all sprint should have been universal becuase not knowing if your enemy had it or not was very detramental to competitive games. also most importantly sprint never should have effected base movement, it makes no sense if you ask me because who wouldnt want halo3 speed with the abiltiy to sprint every once in a while.

EDIT: also sprint should also still be Reach speed. this way if base speed is increased to about 120% of reach speed than the sprint will only give you a 25% increase in speed rather than a 50% one. this would help immensly more than shooting while sprinting would help when it comes to chasing players while still giving the sprinter that chance at survival. this would also make alomst all maps by default designed for sprint becuase a short burst of a small increase of speed isnt that bad for map design compared to how sprint in its current form is now. i also removed my sprint while shooting idea becuase i realize now that that is a very bad idea.

Trust me it’s really not beneficial. Halo 2 and 3 are evidence of this.

Actually

We have no idea how sprint in halo 4 works.

it causes issues with Reachs balance, seeing sprint was just thrown in there.

> Trust me it’s really not beneficial. Halo 2 and 3 are evidence of this.

they had no sprint so how does that prove anything about whether or not is sprint is benificial. yes those games were immensely competitive none the less with out it but that doesnt prove it being bad.

> > Trust me it’s really not beneficial. Halo 2 and 3 are evidence of this.
>
> they had no sprint so how does that prove anything about whether or not is sprint is benificial. yes those games were immensely competitive none the less with out it but that doesnt prove it being bad.

There will be less people running at you trying to beat you down.

> > Trust me it’s really not beneficial. Halo 2 and 3 are evidence of this.
>
> they had no sprint so how does that prove anything about whether or not is sprint is benificial. yes those games were immensely competitive none the less with out it but that doesnt prove it being bad.

I am a competitive player, I play every day for six hours for the last ten years since release I have racked up countless days of playing time, One of my three accounts is in the top 5% of Halo: Reach’s matchmaking.

I enjoy both MLG and more casual forms of Halo such as Action Sack, Out of anyone one player I have more knowledge of what works and what does not. The fact people sprint at players and pummel alone justify’s removing it for me.

Everyone be like < Hope you like my meme quote
“Adapt Noob”

People never adapt. Period.

Just because I am a skilled player it does not give me the right to demand or think of myself as a person who’s opinion should be considered godly. I am merely stating that I know the game and I know what would work. I am being objective here.

Secondly I called out mistakes with Reach from day one of major news announcements, No one ever listened then, If Bungie had listened to the informed minatory the game would have turned out much different.

I can name a list of reasons why Sprint is a bad idea, I can send you video after video of how sprint is misused and abused. Better yet I could show you time and time again how Halo is better, I would be more than happy to take you to the “TRUE” competitive side of Halo and show you how we play.

My opinion Sprint = BAD
I don’t want to justify it there is too bigger argument.

> > > Trust me it’s really not beneficial. Halo 2 and 3 are evidence of this.
> >
> > they had no sprint so how does that prove anything about whether or not is sprint is benificial. yes those games were immensely competitive none the less with out it but that doesnt prove it being bad.
>
> There will be less people running at you trying to beat you down.

Xaviarne = Double Melee Noob + Complete Scrubby Bad Kid

(To everyone else me and him are friends and ex MLG buddys, he is actually a solid player)

…oh and I agree with his very simple thought it is a pain in the tush

> reason 1. many people complain that it lets an unskilled player get away which is bad becuase you didnt get the kill… to the other player it is very benificial in a competitive environment becuase it gives the player a chance to escape then out flank the enemy who he was fighting then proceed to get the kill.

If you want to “run away” because you’re losing a dual, you deserve to die.

> First of all sprint should have been universal becuase not knowing if your enemy had it or not was very detramental to competitive games.

Maybe we should give everybody nuclear launchers. It’ll be fair, right? Because everybody else will be using them. How about giving everybody a lag switch? Everybody will be using one, it’ll be fair!

i have to see how it works 1st.

Waow, I just viewed the Dynasty vs. Str8 rippin losers’ finals.

I can’t believe how much they keep running away with sprint. It’s unbelievable.

And just an example of how one person could get away no-shield with sprint:

Red and Blue Spartan go up in a fight against each other.
There’s obstacles to the left, to the right and one in-between them.
Just to make it easy to visualize imagine a tunnel in which the red player is located.
At the end of the tunnel there’s a pillar.
The blue player is close to the pillar.
They start shooting each other and the blue player realize he’s going to be punished for his poor aiming skill after missing two rounds. So he takes cover behind the pillar before it’s too late.
The red player throws a grenade just to the left of the pillar so that it would kill him if he tries to flee to the left and if he tries to flee to the right the red player would be ready to put a bullet in his head by lining up his crosshair there.

However the blue Spartan start sprinting as soon as he gets around the pillar and by the time the red Spartan can shoot again after tossing the grenade the blue player is out of sight.

Now the red player could of course wait with throwing the grenade but it wouldn’t matter since it all comes down to luck whether the red Spartan will be able to foresee what the blue Spartan will do.

I personally just think the game flows very stupid with sprint and I wish it to be removed.

InB4 “but I want to be able to get away”
I don’t want Halo to play like duckhunt.

> Actually
> it causes issues with Reachs balance, seeing sprint was just thrown in there.

> Sprint didn’t work in a Halo game.
> Therefore sprint was just thrown into that game.

Yea…

> > Actually
> > it causes issues with Reachs balance, seeing sprint was just thrown in there.
>
> > Sprint didn’t work in a Halo game.
> > Therefore sprint was just thrown into that game.
>
> Yea…

Oh Reach is a halo game? I thought it wasnt.

> A lot of talk has been goin on about how sprint isnt competitive. it is in my opinion however that if placed in correctly into halo 4 that it may be the best thing for competitive play. my reasons are as follows.
> reason 1. many people complain that it lets an unskilled player get away which is bad becuase you didnt get the kill… to the other player it is very benificial in a competitive environment becuase it gives the player a chance to escape then out flank the enemy who he was fighting then proceed to get the kill.
> reason 2. positioning. people say that sprint makes it so a player who has a bad position can easily get to the action to help his team mates despite being in a bad position. all though this is true sprint also helps positioning becuase it makes it so you can hold larger areas becuase you can sprint to them faster.
> there are plent of other reasons i think sprint is benificial but unfortuanetly reach didnt have it in correctly. in order for it to be truely competitive certain things would need to change. first of all sprint should have been universal becuase not knowing if your enemy had it or not was very detramental to competitive games. also you should be able to shoot while sprinting this way if they run away from you you can still shoot them. of course running speed while sprinting would have to be limited as well as maybe making it so you cant aim even remotely as well. also most importantly sprint never should have effected base movement, it makes no sense if you ask me because who wouldnt want halo3 speed with the abiltiy to sprint every once in a while.

@reason 1: In theory the other team could in turn just run away as well and it would create an endless duck hunt. Now it won’t play like that but I believe I for one will get angrier and angrier for every time people cheat death with sprint. I believe the game will play slower because it will be abused in defensive purpose.

@reason 2: What’s your point here? How does it alter to a more fun and competitive gameplay flow?

> > > Actually
> > > it causes issues with Reachs balance, seeing sprint was just thrown in there.
> >
> > > Sprint didn’t work in a Halo game.
> > > Therefore sprint was just thrown into that game.
> >
> > Yea…
>
> Oh Reach is a halo game? I thought it wasnt.

Reach wasn’t Halo because it had so many foreign elements, such as sprint. Why then are you in favour of even more foreign elements if such elements make a game “none-Halo”? Hm… face the music: sprint is bad in Halo.

> > > > Actually
> > > > it causes issues with Reachs balance, seeing sprint was just thrown in there.
> > >
> > > > Sprint didn’t work in a Halo game.
> > > > Therefore sprint was just thrown into that game.
> > >
> > > Yea…
> >
> > Oh Reach is a halo game? I thought it wasnt.
>
> Reach wasn’t Halo because it had so many foreign elements, such as sprint. Why then are you in favour of even more foreign elements if such elements make a game “none-Halo”? Hm…

Favour? I could really care less if it has sprint or not. I just think things can be tweaked and balanced. Instead of reverting and running away from things… Reach is unbalanced. Halo 4 could be balanced. I swear to god it seems to me you guys still think Sage is in charge still.

Already Heard and experienced what sprint does in reach. Not halo 4. I’m just showing my opinion. If its like Reach then I will be inclined to agree with everyone else, Until then I can not say anymore without actually seeing a in depth walk though of the actual maps with all the sprint stuff going on.

> Waow, I just viewed the Dynasty vs. Str8 rippin losers’ finals.
>
> I can’t believe how much they keep running away with sprint. It’s unbelievable.

Yah, I watched the video of them playing Team Slayer on Warlock. There were so many times when they just walked out into the open, and then sprinted away to safety. Normally, that map is played on the high ground, but they were all on the ground floor knowing they could easily sprint away through a portal or around a corner at any moment.

If anything, that shows how bad it is for competitive play.

> Trust me it’s really not beneficial. Halo 2 and 3 are evidence of this.

This. +1

> If you want to “run away” because you’re losing a dual, you deserve to die.

Patently false me friend. Running away when your losing a dual is a staple of all Halo games; Halo Reach just lets you run away faster.

I’ll say it again. People who want sprint removed are just butt hurt that they can’t pick up free kills from low shield enemies as easy now, because that person has a chance to get away. These are the same people that probably get the majority of their kills from picking up scraps (i.e finishing off a player who was just in a battle with another player)

Man, you folks just can’t adapt. If it were up to most people on these forums, Reach would have been Halo 1 with better graphics. I’m sorry, but just throwing better graphics on 10+ year old matchmaking game play mechanics does not interest me at all.

> > If you want to “run away” because you’re losing a dual, you deserve to die.
>
> Patently false me friend. Running away when your losing a dual is a staple of all Halo games; Halo Reach just lets you run away faster.
>
> I’ll say it again. People who want sprint removed are just butt hurt that they can’t pick up free kills from low shield enemies as easy now, because that person has a chance to get away. These are the same people that probably get the majority of their kills from picking up scraps (i.e finishing off a player who was just in a battle with another player)
>
> Man, you folks just can’t adapt. If it were up to most people on these forums, Reach would have been Halo 1 with better graphics. I’m sorry, but just throwing better graphics on 10+ year old matchmaking game play mechanics does not interest me at all.

Oh people want sprint removed for many more reasons than the lame one you provided. The majority of people who are in a game have shields that are low or health that is low. If I see someone, then I will shoot at them. If they happen to have low shields, then good for me, if not, I will still get the kill.

If it were up to the forums, Reach would have been Reach as we didn’t know of the betrayal by Bungie at that point. And we don’t want Halo 4 to be exactly like the other Halo games. We want Halo 4 to FEEL like the previous Halos. It needs to have the competitive feel to it. There shouldn’t be any gimmicks in it.

That, my friend is what we want. We want a Halo game.

> If it were up to the forums, Reach would have been Reach as we didn’t know of the betrayal by Bungie at that point. And we don’t want Halo 4 to be exactly like the other Halo games. We want Halo 4 to FEEL like the previous Halos. It needs to have the competitive feel to it. There shouldn’t be any gimmicks in it.
>
> That, my friend is what we want. We want a Halo game.

LOL. Define gimmick. Because the way these forums define it, it would be anything that changes gameplay from Vanilla Halo 1.

Games need a natural evolution, and sprint is that.

In what kind of real-world scenario would all players in a competitive setting be all moving at the exact same speed? Imagine playing a real life game of paintball where everyone was forced to jog around at the exact same speed? It would be ridiculous and the level of competitiveness would be way way down.

Don’t spout that BS about Halo Reach not feeling like a Halo game. Ask a random person who has never played either if they could associate the two games without them being identified and I guarantee people would know there the same game.