Sprint can be removed! The game won't be broken!

I’m a long-time Halo player and forum reader, but first time poster. I hope most of you won’t find this TL;DR.

Pointless Background On Myself (Skip if you want):
I’ve been playing since Halo 3, I didn’t own an Xbox at the time, but played at least once a week at my neighbor’s house. I Got a 360 in 2009/2010 (honestly can’t remember) and obviously started on Reach. To me Reach’s gameplay was Halo 3 + some features. I didn’t like at first but got used to it quickly, and soon, became fond of it. Like many others I disliked Halo 4 greatly. I thought the Campaign was bad for Halo standards, and multiplayer was lacking too many things to list. To be completely honest, I wasn’t expecting to like the Halo 5: Guardians Beta at all. I soon proved myself correct.

Beta Impressions / Opinions (Please read):

The Halo 5 Beta is WAY too fast paced for what Halo should be. (In my opinion of course) The time to kill is way too fast, Smart-Link is nothing but ADS, grenades everywhere, Clambering replaces skill jumps and the need for crouch-jumping, (which I had mastered at this point), and the gunplay feels more like your current day shooters than Halo. I’m not calling the gameplay/gunplay in games such as Call of Duty or Battlefield bad (I actually play these games). But, it doesn’t feel like Halo anymore when I play it. It just feels like everything else.

People say that 343 is innovating Halo and changing it from what is was to keep it from getting dry. However, innovating doesn’t mean making it the same as what is out there. Halo still needs to stay separate, as it has, from what is already out there.

The Juicy Stuff (You clicked on the forum post, might as well read it):
Psychoduck from “The Halo Forge Epidemic” made a very valid point in his analysis video of the Beta (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8z_zvq_XDs)
He says that the Beta has dropped a “day one” aspect of Halo. This is the gameplay feature of running and gunning. This means that in Halo, while you shoot at a target, you usually move around, strafe, jump, etc. Opposed to your average day shooter where you usually stay in place and ADS while shooting at a target. I found this to be amazingly true. With what felt like a faster TTK and the addition of Smart-Link, I didn’t have time to strafe or move, only to shoot. I feel as though 343 has added too many moving mechanics and didn’t tie them in with the shooting mechanics.
Sprint and clambering have been nothing but wrongful for Halo. With sprint’s permanent placement into the controller schemes, it has destroyed a part of Halo’s gameplay. Many say that in the case of sprint it’s the point of no return. People say that taking it out would break the game at this point. I completely disagree.

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO TRY THIS:
Try going a couple of games without using sprint AT ALL. I decided to try this and greatly enjoyed myself. It felt like Halo again, a new revamped Halo. Thruster Pack (which I think is an excellent addition to the game) picks up the slack of no sprint. You can make the jumps on the maps with ease, and have greater overall control of your character. When I play like this, I feel as though nothing is lost from the gameplay. The game was very well paced (except for the TTK of course).

I hope you decide to try this. I also hope I’m not alone in the opinions I have expressed.

Thanks

(Also take out the victory celebrations at the end, these are extremely disciplined, military super-soldiers. Not a group of college frat-boys winning a game of paintball. Plus they just look completely ridiculous)

You can be removed from the game, and the game won’t be broken.

> 2533274795660102;2:
> You can be removed from the game, and the game won’t be broken.

Ouch . . . . It was just a simple suggestion, not a mandate.

Agreed, lol no just kidding thanks for your opinions plural.

I am 37 and have been playing Halo for over 10+ years. Sprint does NOT need to be removed. It worked fine in H4 and works fine in H5. In fact it wont be removed. So you will either have to adapt, or move on. For those that don’t want sprint, you can stick with TMCC. H1, H2, H3, ODST none of those contain sprint. You can have all the nostalgia you need.

> 2533274900987083;1:
> I’m a long-time Halo player and forum reader, but first time poster. I hope most of you won’t find this TL;DR.
>
> Pointless Background On Myself (Skip if you want):
> I’ve been playing since Halo 3, I didn’t own an Xbox at the time, but played at least once a week at my neighbor’s house. I Got a 360 in 2009/2010 (honestly can’t remember) and obviously started on Reach. To me Reach’s gameplay was Halo 3 + some features. I didn’t like at first but got used to it quickly, and soon, became fond of it. Like many others I disliked Halo 4 greatly. I thought the Campaign was bad for Halo standards, and multiplayer was lacking too many things to list. To be completely honest, I wasn’t expecting to like the Halo 5: Guardians Beta at all. I soon proved myself correct.
>
> Beta Impressions / Opinions (Please read):
>
> The Halo 5 Beta is WAY too fast paced for what Halo should be. (In my opinion of course) The time to kill is way too fast, Smart-Link is nothing but ADS, grenades everywhere, Clambering replaces skill jumps and the need for crouch-jumping, (which I had mastered at this point), and the gunplay feels more like your current day shooters than Halo. I’m not calling the gameplay/gunplay in games such as Call of Duty or Battlefield bad (I actually play these games). But, it doesn’t feel like Halo anymore when I play it. It just feels like everything else.
>
> People say that 343 is innovating Halo and changing it from what is was to keep it from getting dry. However, innovating doesn’t mean making it the same as what is out there. Halo still needs to stay separate, as it has, from what is already out there.
>
> The Juicy Stuff (You clicked on the forum post, might as well read it):
> Psychoduck from “The Halo Forge Epidemic” made a very valid point in his analysis video of the Beta (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8z_zvq_XDs)
> He says that the Beta has dropped a “day one” aspect of Halo. This is the gameplay feature of running and gunning. This means that in Halo, while you shoot at a target, you usually move around, strafe, jump, etc. Opposed to your average day shooter where you usually stay in place and ADS while shooting at a target. I found this to be amazingly true. With what felt like a faster TTK and the addition of Smart-Link, I didn’t have time to strafe or move, only to shoot. I feel as though 343 has added too many moving mechanics and didn’t tie them in with the shooting mechanics.
> Sprint and clambering have been nothing but wrongful for Halo. With sprint’s permanent placement into the controller schemes, it has destroyed a part of Halo’s gameplay. Many say that in the case of sprint it’s the point of no return. People say that taking it out would break the game at this point. I completely disagree.
>
> I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO TRY THIS:
> Try going a couple of games without using sprint AT ALL. I decided to try this and greatly enjoyed myself. It felt like Halo again, a new revamped Halo. Thruster Pack (which I think is an excellent addition to the game) picks up the slack of no sprint. You can make the jumps on the maps with ease, and have greater overall control of your character. When I play like this, I feel as though nothing is lost from the gameplay. The game was very well paced (except for the TTK of course).
>
> I hope you decide to try this. I also hope I’m not alone in the opinions I have expressed.
>
> Thanks
>
> (Also take out the victory celebrations at the end, these are extremely disciplined, military super-soldiers. Not a group of college frat-boys winning a game of paintball. Plus they just look completely ridiculous)

Crouch jumping and skill jumping are still in. There are plenty of jumps that can’t be made with clamber alone.

If you can play and enjoy the game without sprinting, why does it need to be removed? I like it, as I think it’s well balanced. Against good players, you can’t simply Sprint your way out of trouble, and I do like how some of the trick jumps require skilled use of sprint,thrusters,stabilizer,clamber, crouch combinations.

After years of halo 2 and 3, it’s time they add some complexity to the jumping model. Everyone’s an expert at crouch jumping by now.

I also disagree that smart scope removes the ability to shoot while strafing. I get 90% of my kills while shooting from the hip… Also the return of descoping, pretty much means you have to move around while shooting, as does the thruster. I think the reason you me feel like the ttk is to low is because you AREN’T moving properly, and neither are your opponent…

> 2533274900987083;3:
> > 2533274795660102;2:
> > You can be removed from the game, and the game won’t be broken.
>
>
> Ouch . . . . It was just a simple suggestion, not a mandate.

Why suggest change on something 343 has made up their mind up about… it’s not getting changed, or removed. I promise that.

They can’t change it now. The gameplay, balance, weapon design - everything is designed around the inclusion of sprint. you remove it now, they’d have to go back to square one on a lot of elements. That’d lead to at least another year before the game comes out.

And to be honest, I like it anyway.

> 2533274809361619;8:
> They can’t change it now. The gameplay, balance, weapon design - everything is designed around the inclusion of sprint. you remove it now, they’d have to go back to square one on a lot of elements. That’d lead to at least another year before the game comes out.
>
> And to be honest, I like it anyway.

why cant other people come to grips on this? its in the game, probably to stay for the rest of the halo series

I agree I don’t see what’s so hard to understand. Anything can be added to the game idgaf.

But when you make the ttk and overall pace too fast… You’re messing with halo.

BTW Reach had the best pace of the franchise IMO yet still had sprint (although I prefer no sprint)

IJS before anything else 343i needs to slow this game down or it will be generic and won’t last long at all.

> 2533274808921370;9:
> > 2533274809361619;8:
> > They can’t change it now. The gameplay, balance, weapon design - everything is designed around the inclusion of sprint. you remove it now, they’d have to go back to square one on a lot of elements. That’d lead to at least another year before the game comes out.
> >
> > And to be honest, I like it anyway.
>
>
> why cant other people come to grips on this? its in the game, probably to stay for the rest of the halo series

Yup get used to it or quit playing

> 2533274795660102;7:
> > 2533274900987083;3:
> > > 2533274795660102;2:
> > > You can be removed from the game, and the game won’t be broken.
> >
> >
> >
> > Ouch . . . . It was just a simple suggestion, not a mandate.
>
>
> Why suggest change on something 343 has made up their mind up about… it’s not getting changed, or removed. I promise that.

Because it feels just like every other game how fast it is.

> 2533274822537587;12:
> > 2533274795660102;7:
> > > 2533274900987083;3:
> > > > 2533274795660102;2:
> > > > You can be removed from the game, and the game won’t be broken.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Ouch . . . . It was just a simple suggestion, not a mandate.
> >
> >
> >
> > Why suggest change on something 343 has made up their mind up about… it’s not getting changed, or removed. I promise that.
>
>
> Because it feels just like every other game how fast it is.

No it doesn’t. It feel nothing like cod, bf, or cs. Maybe a bit like crysis 3, but still very different

> 2533274822537587;12:
> > 2533274795660102;7:
> > > 2533274900987083;3:
> > > > 2533274795660102;2:
> > > > You can be removed from the game, and the game won’t be broken.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Ouch . . . . It was just a simple suggestion, not a mandate.
> >
> >
> >
> > Why suggest change on something 343 has made up their mind up about… it’s not getting changed, or removed. I promise that.
>
>
> Because it feels just like every other game how fast it is.

Then play TMCC. There is no sprint in H1, H2, H3, or ODST.

> 2787272447958470;14:
> > 2533274822537587;12:
> > > 2533274795660102;7:
> > > > 2533274900987083;3:
> > > > > 2533274795660102;2:
> > > > > You can be removed from the game, and the game won’t be broken.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Ouch . . . . It was just a simple suggestion, not a mandate.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Why suggest change on something 343 has made up their mind up about… it’s not getting changed, or removed. I promise that.
> >
> >
> >
> > Because it feels just like every other game how fast it is.
>
>
> Then play TMCC. There is no sprint in H1, H2, H3, or ODST.

I’m not saying that Halo needs to die right here and now. It should by no means go on for 30 more years like they want it to. But I would like a couple more games to wrap up Master chief’s story.

I want new games because just going back to Halo CE, 2, and 3 does get a tad boring after a while. Doing almost anything repeatedly while cause boredom. However, 343 needs to stay more true to the series than they are right now. Sure add stuff, change it up. but I feel like they’re adding too much too fast and Halo is loosing a good amount of its core components.

All I read was, “Hey I’m a Halo player who doesn’t know how to evolve and adapt”

> 2533274900987083;15:
> > 2787272447958470;14:
> > > 2533274822537587;12:
> > > > 2533274795660102;7:
> > > > > 2533274900987083;3:
> > > > > > 2533274795660102;2:
> > > > > > You can be removed from the game, and the game won’t be broken.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Ouch . . . . It was just a simple suggestion, not a mandate.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Why suggest change on something 343 has made up their mind up about… it’s not getting changed, or removed. I promise that.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Because it feels just like every other game how fast it is.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Then play TMCC. There is no sprint in H1, H2, H3, or ODST.
>
>
>
> I’m not saying that Halo needs to die right here and now. It should by no means go on for 30 more years like they want it to. But I would like a couple more games to wrap up Master chief’s story.
>
> I want new games because just going back to Halo CE, 2, and 3 does get a tad boring after a while. Doing almost anything repeatedly while cause boredom. However, 343 needs to stay more true to the series than they are right now. Sure add stuff, change it up. but I feel like they’re adding too much too fast and Halo is loosing a good amount of its core components.

Halo will NEVER die and there is no reason for it to die. It will live on. Some will hate it, some will love it. But it is not ever going to die. Just like Mario wont ever die or, Final Fantasy, or Mass Effect, or COD, or Destiny, or Battlefield, or Metal gear, or Gears of War.

Honestly if we stayed with nostalgia and never moved on, we would still be playing Pong on a controller with 1 button.

Remove sprint and you have to remove all the abilities too. Remove all the abilities and 343 would just be re-releasing Halo 2. Wait… haven’t they done that already?

Honestly, going back to Halo 2 and 3 the thing I missed the most was sprint. I never questioned it when it wasn’t there, but I honestly don’t think you can have a modern shooter without sprint these days.

> 2533274900987083;1:
> Sprint and clambering have been nothing but wrongful for Halo. With sprint’s permanent placement into the controller schemes, it has destroyed a part of Halo’s gameplay

-Yoink- of the highest caliber and here’s why: Halo’s gameplay is a self-justifying concept that you can argue “is destroyed” by any change regardless of circumstance. While Sprint and Clambering make Halo play differently they, one the one hand, allow players to have much more control over their movement mechanics (allowing fine-scale micro-positioning on the one hand and mad dashes on the other without requiring an uncomfortable lag time to the ruin of "responsiveness) and on the other provide a more intuitive approach to moving around one’s environment (similar to the introduction of the jump mechanic itself and we know how that changed shooters.)

In short they make for a BETTER Halo than we had before (ie. one with better mechanical control which can be leveraged in gameplay).

The purist perspective is one you can easily argue from but whatever comes from that point of view its entirely unproductive (because its merely contrarian.)