!SPOILERS! What happened with Halo 5 Campaign?

I am definitely not the first to say this, but why 343i? I expected this to be as good as Halo 2’s story; what a fool I’d been. Why did you guys make the campaign so bad? There are probably countless things wrong with this campaign.

Here are some issues:

• Already figured out what was going to be the plot twist early on in the campaign; that AI would rebel against humans. Did anyone else notice how Roland the AI was ignored by his “Creators”? Clearly the humans didn’t appreciate their AIs anymore. AND A PLANET IS BEING RUN UNDER AN AI GOVERNOR? What a shame if that AI were to go rampant… oh wait it is rampant? How weird.
  • Three of the 15 “playable missions” might as well have been cutscenes. Just filler. You can’t even shoot the helpless civilians!
  • Some parts SHOULD HAVE been playable. I would have loved a nice chase in the end of Mission 5 or a boss fight with Jul M’dama. Why the heck did he die so early on?
  • The missions were ridiculously short (8-12 hours in normal?).
  • That Warden fight was too frequent and boring. Seriously, four Warden fights that were exactly the same? If I wanted that boss fight, I would play Warzone four times.
  • AI were absolutely terrible (this was heavily boasted about by 343i, ha). They died trying to save me every time, and they can’t shoot. I think I prefer Halo Reach’s AI teammates.
  • There was hardly a hunt going on.
  • The Arbiter barely lasted at all in the campaign. Like, what the heck, his role should’ve been much bigger in the story. Why couldn’t he have talked to Master Chief after all of those adventures together in Bungie’s golden trilogy?
  • Master Chief fell for Cortana’s obvious little trap. He’s smarter than that, should’ve just punched Cortana in the face while he was able to.
  • Naturally, Cortana wasn’t dead. What a surprise, Roland, what a surprise.
  • 60fps wasn’t consistent at all (Have you seen the random freezes and laggy characters?). And then they didn’t bring split screen, really?
  • Infinity got butthurt that their pal Master Chief went on a side mission? This isn’t something new for Chief. Making his own missions is his specialty, just give him his space for crying out loud.
  • The Jackals sounded like shrieking little girls. They should’ve stayed native to their own language.
  • Compared to Halo 2, this campaign was terrible. Halo 5’s plot was so shallow.
  • We barely found out what the Guardians were in Mission 13. Like seriously, it was in the title. I feel like that was when the story started.
  • There’s a lot more I’m sure.

That’s what I can come up with at the moment. I’m just glad they didn’t kill off Chief, but I wouldn’t have minded if Locke tragically died while trying to save Chief.

Honestly, the only thing I liked from this story was the fight between Chief and Locke. That was awesome. I should’ve watched this story from Youtube like another COD game’s campaign.

I looked so forward to this game, both for campaign and multiplayer. Overall, the campaign ended so fast and it was horrendous and I am :frowning:
I feel like whoever likes the story just wants to like the new directors of Halo. Let’s be honest now.
Someone, please try to convince me that the Halo 5 story was great. Please. I paid $60 plus tax for this game.
Give me your rating out of 10 for the story and your reasons.

P.S. Who wants to bet that the next “plot twist” in Halo 6 will be the betrayal of Roland? Gasp.

To me it seems almost like they ran out of time making the game. It feels like SOOO much has been cut out especially near the end.

I thought the cliffhanger at the end was really terrible. Usually in Halo games after you beat the game you gain a sense of completion. But this time, it feels like its missing something; almost like 343 is going to release more missions in an expansion pack.

> 2533274910072775;3:
> I thought the cliffhanger at the end was really terrible. Usually in Halo games after you beat the game you gain a sense of completion. But this time, it feels like its missing something; almost like 343 is going to release more missions in an expansion pack.

Well, to be fair, Halo 2 had a cliff hanger ending, but at least that one was so much better. At least that story was fulfilling.

Halo 5 had a fantastic story, in my opinion.

> 2533274838804559;5:
> Halo 5 had a fantastic story, in my opinion.

Please tell me why. I would love to hear your reasons, no joke.

10/10 would play Halo 5: Guardians campaign again.

I loved how true to the lore they were and the shear size of everything was astonishing. The battles, the landscapes, to textures were all done extremely well. The Ais worked okay and had no problem with them after I started controlling them.

The stories great, only problem is a large part of its not in the game just like Halo 4 before it.

Can you guys tell me why you loved it?

Eh they did a better job than bungie since bungie basically retconned the other spartans out of the series until reach, the cliff hanger at the end was great we haven’t seen such a powerful force since the didact but seeing as he was kinda killed but not until master chief teamed up with blue team to actually kill him I would like to think Halo 6 might feature more of a team element like reach did having but we kinda just have to leave it up to 343 and try to enjoy it when it comes out hopefully halo 5 becomes something better before then.

Well you can make the argument that when you played Halo 3, I knew truth was gonna die, flood to, and chief wins, so what happened to you was that your anticipations got the better of you.

For me the campaign didn’t feel short cause of the rich dialogue at least for me. In halo 3, reach, an 4 you had these moments of silence but just gun fire, no chatter or dialogue. Furthermore, the cliff hanger I felt was hard to avoid and predictable. If you’re gonna build up for a trilogy or at least the largest title, how do you make a game that doesn’t take to much fuel from the tank, but still establishes well developed characters and conflicts? I felt it was necessary so it doesn’t bother me, if it would have ended with say cortana losing 100%, then how can you have such a large halo 6, you catch my drift.

Halo 5 had the a better(more fun as well) gameplay experience than Halo 3, although halo 3 does have the 2 scarabs battle, I still think that the kraken was pretty fun, especially when you get in the banshee as it was falling. Halo 5 also had better storytelling than halo 4, which was at the top before for storytelling for me at least. And lastly, you can approach mostly all the large battles through different paths which made it gives it more re playability (Something halo 3 was good at).

The Warden Eternal battles were first 2 only one W.E. and then 2 W.E.'s followed by 3, and the 3 had a black one I think.It was fun fighting them on normal, but I bet you more than anything it would be fun on legendary.

The arbiter didn’t need to be in the entire story, only what was appropriate, after Halo 3 he is basically fighting the covenant, so you help him do that basically, he won’t drop everything the come to you’re need.

> 2533274819075101;11:
> Well you can make the argument that when you played Halo 3, I knew truth was gonna die, flood to, and chief wins, so what happened to you was that your anticipations got the better of you.
>
> For me the campaign didn’t feel short cause of the rich dialogue at least for me. In halo 3, reach, an 4 you had these moments of silence but just gun fire, no chatter or dialogue. Furthermore, the cliff hanger I felt was hard to avoid and predictable. If you’re gonna build up for a trilogy or at least the largest title, how do you make a game that doesn’t take to much fuel from the tank, but still establishes well developed characters and conflicts? I felt it was necessary so it doesn’t bother me, if it would have ended with say cortana losing 100%, then how can you have such a large halo 6, you catch my drift.
>
> Halo 5 had the a better(more fun as well) gameplay experience than Halo 3, although halo 3 does have the 2 scarabs battle, I still think that the kraken was pretty fun, especially when you get in the banshee as it was falling. Halo 5 also had better storytelling than halo 4, which was at the top before for storytelling for me at least. And lastly, you can approach mostly all the large battles through different paths which made it gives it more re playability (Something halo 3 was good at).
>
> The Warden Eternal battles were first 2 only one W.E. and then 2 W.E.'s followed by 3, and the 3 had a black one I think.It was fun fighting them on normal, but I bet you more than anything it would be fun on legendary.
>
> The arbiter didn’t need to be in the entire story, only what was appropriate, after Halo 3 he is basically fighting the covenant, so you help him do that basically, he won’t drop everything the come to you’re need.

Couldn’t have said it better.

Very disappointed with the story for Halo 5. I would have liked it better if Chief was going into depression and doing what it took to get Cortana back while Locke hunted him down to return him to the UNSC or something like that instead of this Terminator type -Yoink- story.

Cortana = Skynet of the future.

> 2533274819075101;11:
> Well you can make the argument that when you played Halo 3, I knew truth was gonna die, flood to, and chief wins, so what happened to you was that your anticipations got the better of you.
>
> For me the campaign didn’t feel short cause of the rich dialogue at least for me. In halo 3, reach, an 4 you had these moments of silence but just gun fire, no chatter or dialogue. Furthermore, the cliff hanger I felt was hard to avoid and predictable. If you’re gonna build up for a trilogy or at least the largest title, how do you make a game that doesn’t take to much fuel from the tank, but still establishes well developed characters and conflicts? I felt it was necessary so it doesn’t bother me, if it would have ended with say cortana losing 100%, then how can you have such a large halo 6, you catch my drift.
>
> Halo 5 had the a better(more fun as well) gameplay experience than Halo 3, although halo 3 does have the 2 scarabs battle, I still think that the kraken was pretty fun, especially when you get in the banshee as it was falling. Halo 5 also had better storytelling than halo 4, which was at the top before for storytelling for me at least. And lastly, you can approach mostly all the large battles through different paths which made it gives it more re playability (Something halo 3 was good at).
>
> The Warden Eternal battles were first 2 only one W.E. and then 2 W.E.'s followed by 3, and the 3 had a black one I think.It was fun fighting them on normal, but I bet you more than anything it would be fun on legendary.
>
> The arbiter didn’t need to be in the entire story, only what was appropriate, after Halo 3 he is basically fighting the covenant, so you help him do that basically, he won’t drop everything the come to you’re need.

I don’t know… it would only be fair to compare Halo 5 to Halo 2 since they are both sequels to the original game in the trilogy. Halo 2 had a great plot, with the brutes suddenly betraying the Arbiter and Master Chief punching Regret in his long neck and everything. The boss fights were actually unique boss fights unlike Halo 5 (three or four Warden fights exactly the same, really?) The story of Halo 2 was so easy to understand with the campaign alone. Halo 3 was the ending so naturally it is easy to predict that good guys win, but it was awesome how the flood sided with Arby and the Chief and how Guilty Spark went all rampant and killed Johnson. That trilogy didn’t need outside information unless you wanted to get a good feel of the entire Halo universe. This newer saga, however, not so much.

Was that the first time Halsey had seen Chief since Reach or had they met again since then in a comic or something?

> 2533274819075101;11:
>
>
>
>

Thank you so much for typing this. It is practically perfect in every way…just like Halo 5: Guardians :slight_smile:

> 2533274924272033;16:
> > 2533274819075101;11:
> > Well you can make the argument that when you played Halo 3, I knew truth was gonna die, flood to, and chief wins, so what happened to you was that your anticipations got the better of you.
> >
> > For me the campaign didn’t feel short cause of the rich dialogue at least for me. In halo 3, reach, an 4 you had these moments of silence but just gun fire, no chatter or dialogue. Furthermore, the cliff hanger I felt was hard to avoid and predictable. If you’re gonna build up for a trilogy or at least the largest title, how do you make a game that doesn’t take to much fuel from the tank, but still establishes well developed characters and conflicts? I felt it was necessary so it doesn’t bother me, if it would have ended with say cortana losing 100%, then how can you have such a large halo 6, you catch my drift.
> >
> > Halo 5 had the a better(more fun as well) gameplay experience than Halo 3, although halo 3 does have the 2 scarabs battle, I still think that the kraken was pretty fun, especially when you get in the banshee as it was falling. Halo 5 also had better storytelling than halo 4, which was at the top before for storytelling for me at least. And lastly, you can approach mostly all the large battles through different paths which made it gives it more re playability (Something halo 3 was good at).
> >
> > The Warden Eternal battles were first 2 only one W.E. and then 2 W.E.'s followed by 3, and the 3 had a black one I think.It was fun fighting them on normal, but I bet you more than anything it would be fun on legendary.
> >
> > The arbiter didn’t need to be in the entire story, only what was appropriate, after Halo 3 he is basically fighting the covenant, so you help him do that basically, he won’t drop everything the come to you’re need.
>
>
> Thank you so much for typing this. It is practically perfect in every way…just like Halo 5: Guardians :slight_smile:

(This is going to be a long post. Bear with me!)

Halo 5: Guardian’s campaign was FAR from perfect. Would you consider a game as broken as Halo 5 to be up-to-par to other AAA Halo game installments such as Halo 3? Possibly if we were talking strictly about multiplayer (which I have my opinions about too), but as far as the campaign alone, Halo 5 was worst of them all. And it may not have been 343i’s fault alone.

One of the major downfalls of Halo 5 is it’s dependence on the Lore of the Halo Universe. I’m not a Lore expert on Halo, but I do thoroughly enjoy the Lore when I see it or look for it. I find it enticing and it makes me appreciate the Halo Universe as a whole. My problem with Halo 5 is how heavily reliant the story is on extended Lore from the books, comics, and digital features. If you were to play DIRECTLY from Halo 4 to Halo 5 with no previous knowledge of the extended lore, you would have been dumbfounded and completely lost. “What happened to the Didact?”, “Who’s this new spartan team?”, “Who and What is Blue Team?”, “What is this whole conflict?”, and I could go on and on. When looking at Bungie’s Halo games, they include the lore and hint at it in many places. But the story does not require you to know the extended lore to play and understand it. I love the extended lore, but if 343i is going to use it in their games, they must explain it and build on it IN THEIR GAME. One of 343i’s main points was trying to bring in new players to enjoy the universe. How can they enjoy it if they can’t understand it AT ALL. And the same goes for the casual Halo players who only play the games. How can they understand it if they don’t know the lore?

Admittedly, I kept up with the extended lore involved in Halo 5, and while I understood what was happening or why it was happening, I didn’t enjoy it due to poor character development and rather suck-ish story telling. Try and tell me that you enjoyed/cared for Fireteam Osiris or even Blue Team for that matter. Tanaka, who the hell is she? What relevance to the plot does she have? NOTHING. Vale? All I got was she can speak Sangheli. Buck? A poor implementation of a great character from Halo 3: ODST. Locke? I don’t even know what to say. Moving onto Blue Team who’s characters have been already set in the Halo Universe, they seemed more like minions to Master Chief than his training partners from his childhood. Blue Team was basically MC’s family. Would a “family” mindlessly follow their leader who often seems blind to the situation? “WHOA, Cortana is alive! I’m going to travel across the galaxy to see what’s going on!” And when Cortana starts to show her desire for universal domination, “Oh, I’m going to try and talk to her to figure this all out!” This plan sounds crazy, and I doubt Blue Team would just follow MC without putting in their 2-cents. It shows a lack of character development and I honestly wouldn’t have noticed or cared if they weren’t in the game in the first place. THEY DIDN’T MATTER.

Part of what made other Halo games so fantastic was they were ground-breaking and inspiring. When launching Halo: CE for the first time(On the mission: Halo), most found the environments to be jaw-dropping with large, expansive maps where you could go and complete the mission how you want to. With objectives in several areas around the map which require no specific order, it felt like you were making the decisions. Flipping back to Halo 5, some will argue 343i did this with “alternate routes to the objectives.” By alternate routes, do you mean the walls that you can smash through LITERALLY next to the original pathway that takes you to the same place? If you think about it, most every single level was linear. And as LateNightGaming (LNG) calls it, “linear hallways”. Personally, I don’t enjoy a Halo game where I’m walking through a predetermined hallway “On rails” (qtd. from LNG). It has no substance of being a sandbox. Would you rather “live” a story? Or just kind of walk through it. In other words, would you like to read a book or only read the summary and skim through the pages? The only place in the Halo 5 campaign where it feels like a true sandbox is the very last leve, Guardian,before the giant room at the end of the level.

And one of my biggest pet peeves about the campaign is the Master Chief himself. Not only did we play as him 3 our of 15 times, 343i didn’t develop his character either! At the end of Halo 4, we see Chief truly start to show his humanity when he was often portrayed as a machine in previous Halos. In Halo 5, 343i didn’t build on that at all. and if they did, a very minuscule amount. I found it to be a wasted opportunity and didn’t give our beloved hero the characterization he deserves. Instead of pushing more towards his humanity they went back to being a machine. Like, what the hell 343i.

In the end, I was very disappointed with Halo 5: Guardians. It presented a meaningless plot that had no correlation to the advertising or the marketing and certainly did not live up the expectations of a Halo title. Something was off about this game. 343i hyped it soooo much. Most of them are just as much halo fans as we are, and I’m positive they were not pleased with the end result of the game. Rumors speculate that something happened to force 343i to change the campaign, which makes sense considering the incohesiveness of the marketing, their claims, and the final result of the game. I understand most of this is subject to opinion, but calling Halo 5: Guardians a “perfect game” is beyond practical or true.

> 2535432196442921;17:
> > 2533274924272033;16:
> > > 2533274819075101;11:
> > > Well you can make the argument that when you played Halo 3, I knew truth was gonna die, flood to, and chief wins, so what happened to you was that your anticipations got the better of you.
> > >
> > > For me the campaign didn’t feel short cause of the rich dialogue at least for me. In halo 3, reach, an 4 you had these moments of silence but just gun fire, no chatter or dialogue. Furthermore, the cliff hanger I felt was hard to avoid and predictable. If you’re gonna build up for a trilogy or at least the largest title, how do you make a game that doesn’t take to much fuel from the tank, but still establishes well developed characters and conflicts? I felt it was necessary so it doesn’t bother me, if it would have ended with say cortana losing 100%, then how can you have such a large halo 6, you catch my drift.
> > >
> > > Halo 5 had the a better(more fun as well) gameplay experience than Halo 3, although halo 3 does have the 2 scarabs battle, I still think that the kraken was pretty fun, especially when you get in the banshee as it was falling. Halo 5 also had better storytelling than halo 4, which was at the top before for storytelling for me at least. And lastly, you can approach mostly all the large battles through different paths which made it gives it more re playability (Something halo 3 was good at).
> > >
> > > The Warden Eternal battles were first 2 only one W.E. and then 2 W.E.'s followed by 3, and the 3 had a black one I think.It was fun fighting them on normal, but I bet you more than anything it would be fun on legendary.
> > >
> > > The arbiter didn’t need to be in the entire story, only what was appropriate, after Halo 3 he is basically fighting the covenant, so you help him do that basically, he won’t drop everything the come to you’re need.
> >
> >
> > Thank you so much for typing this. It is practically perfect in every way…just like Halo 5: Guardians :slight_smile:
>
>
> (This is going to be a long post. Bear with me!)
>
> Halo 5: Guardian’s campaign was FAR from perfect. Would you consider a game as broken as Halo 5 to be up-to-par to other AAA Halo game installments such as Halo 3? Possibly if we were talking strictly about multiplayer (which I have my opinions about too), but as far as the campaign alone, Halo 5 was worst of them all. And it may not have been 343i’s fault alone.
>
> One of the major downfalls of Halo 5 is it’s dependence on the Lore of the Halo Universe. I’m not a Lore expert on Halo, but I do thoroughly enjoy the Lore when I see it or look for it. I find it enticing and it makes me appreciate the Halo Universe as a whole. My problem with Halo 5 is how heavily reliant the story is on extended Lore from the books, comics, and digital features. If you were to play DIRECTLY from Halo 4 to Halo 5 with no previous knowledge of the extended lore, you would have been dumbfounded and completely lost. “What happened to the Didact?”, “Who’s this new spartan team?”, “Who and What is Blue Team?”, “What is this whole conflict?”, and I could go on and on. When looking at Bungie’s Halo games, they include the lore and hint at it in many places. But the story does not require you to know the extended lore to play and understand it. I love the extended lore, but if 343i is going to use it in their games, they must explain it and build on it IN THEIR GAME. One of 343i’s main points was trying to bring in new players to enjoy the universe. How can they enjoy it if they can’t understand it AT ALL. And the same goes for the casual Halo players who only play the games. How can they understand it if they don’t know the lore?
>
> Admittedly, I kept up with the extended lore involved in Halo 5, and while I understood what was happening or why it was happening, I didn’t enjoy it due to poor character development and rather suck-ish story telling. Try and tell me that you enjoyed/cared for Fireteam Osiris or even Blue Team for that matter. Tanaka, who the hell is she? What relevance to the plot does she have? NOTHING. Vale? All I got was she can speak Sangheli. Buck? A poor implementation of a great character from Halo 3: ODST. Locke? I don’t even know what to say. Moving onto Blue Team who’s characters have been already set in the Halo Universe, they seemed more like minions to Master Chief than his training partners from his childhood. Blue Team was basically MC’s family. Would a “family” mindlessly follow their leader who often seems blind to the situation? “WHOA, Cortana is alive! I’m going to travel across the galaxy to see what’s going on!” And when Cortana starts to show her desire for universal domination, “Oh, I’m going to try and talk to her to figure this all out!” This plan sounds crazy, and I doubt Blue Team would just follow MC without putting in their 2-cents. It shows a lack of character development and I honestly wouldn’t have noticed or cared if they weren’t in the game in the first place. THEY DIDN’T MATTER.
>
> Part of what made other Halo games so fantastic was they were ground-breaking and inspiring. When launching Halo: CE for the first time(On the mission: Halo), most found the environments to be jaw-dropping with large, expansive maps where you could go and complete the mission how you want to. With objectives in several areas around the map which require no specific order, it felt like you were making the decisions. Flipping back to Halo 5, some will argue 343i did this with “alternate routes to the objectives.” By alternate routes, do you mean the walls that you can smash through LITERALLY next to the original pathway that takes you to the same place? If you think about it, most every single level was linear. And as LateNightGaming (LNG) calls it, “linear hallways”. Personally, I don’t enjoy a Halo game where I’m walking through a predetermined hallway “On rails” (qtd. from LNG). It has no substance of being a sandbox. Would you rather “live” a story? Or just kind of walk through it. In other words, would you like to read a book or only read the summary and skim through the pages? The only place in the Halo 5 campaign where it feels like a true sandbox is the very last leve, Guardian,before the giant room at the end of the level.
>
> And one of my biggest pet peeves about the campaign is the Master Chief himself. Not only did we play as him 3 our of 15 times, 343i didn’t develop his character either! At the end of Halo 4, we see Chief truly start to show his humanity when he was often portrayed as a machine in previous Halos. In Halo 5, 343i didn’t build on that at all. and if they did, a very minuscule amount. I found it to be a wasted opportunity and didn’t give our beloved hero the characterization he deserves. Instead of pushing more towards his humanity they went back to being a machine. Like, what the hell 343i.
>
> In the end, I was very disappointed with Halo 5: Guardians. It presented a meaningless plot that had no correlation to the advertising or the marketing and certainly did not live up the expectations of a Halo title. Something was off about this game. 343i hyped it soooo much. Most of them are just as much halo fans as we are, and I’m positive they were not pleased with the end result of the game. Rumors speculate that something happened to force 343i to change the campaign, which makes sense considering the incohesiveness of the marketing, their claims, and the final result of the game. I understand most of this is subject to opinion, but calling Halo 5: Guardians a “perfect game” is beyond practical or true.

This thread was made in OCTOBER 2015. Please don’t revive old threads, thanks.