Split screen frame-rate issues.

I was really happy to see they had come out with team doubles.

But there’s a problem: Terrible, unplayable frame-rate lag on the new maps Scyth and the other one that’s in the same area with the platforms and the space above.(Not sure if they’re actually new but I hadn’t seen em before tonight.)

A game right afterwards on Haven was perfect with no noticeable drop in frame rate.

The majority of maps are fine too, but I get similar problems on Complex. Unplayable frame rate drop with split screen play

On a more positive note: I love Halo 4’s game play and emphasis on guns over grenade spam. Just needs some tweaking to be a smooth experience.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Just so you know, on-disc maps are in the first voting slot in Team Doubles. By offering slightly modified versions of Haven, Abandon and Solace, split-screen players have the option to play on a map that offers the best split-screen experience. Hopefully that will help your situation, even if a teeny-tiny bit.

> Sorry to hear about your experience. Just so you know, on-disc maps are in the first voting slot in Team Doubles. By offering slightly modified versions of Haven, Abandon and Solace, split-screen players have the option to play on a map that offers the best split-screen experience. Hopefully that will help your situation, even if a teeny-tiny bit.

Thanks for the response! I was frustrated by this so I’m sorry if I was a bit crass :(.(edited it to be a lot more constructive haha.)

They’re really great maps, I just wish there was some way to tone down the graphics. Like during split screen the fancy backdrop would be reduced to just stars or something that would help it load smoother.

Btw, still looking forward to a snipers playlist ;).

Hey, maybe you can tell the designers to add a forge map in space, one that does not have any asteroids or anything, just a plain space forge map with nothing in it but space. that way, forge maps will not lag so much! Maybe add a grid inf forge, like sandbox to know where the boundaries are. (it should be free!!!)

The pros on this forge map, is that you only need to add the forge pieces, and some artwork for the skybox. Please, communicate this idea to the halo 4 multiplayer team!

(and as an extra, forge pieces do not need to be super textured… just a plain texture like reach, not so much geometry i mean)

The frame rate seems to be a problem on all maps, to varying degrees, if you’re playing splitscreen.

A pity, but hopefully it can be fixed.

This really needs to be fixed.

An honest question: Would it be impossible to implement a reduced graphics mode? I know for instance on my laptop with many PC games I can leave most settings maxed out as long as I turn shadows way down(or off). It seems like certain graphical “features” take a huge toll on frame rate performance while others are negligible.

What is the point of great graphics if game play is sacrificed?

This day,i raged like hell because of the horrible framerates,so me and my dad just went back to reach for a good splitscreen session.It’s amazing how 343 doesn’t test their game on splitscreen.

> This day,i raged like hell because of the horrible framerates,so me and my dad just went back to reach for a good splitscreen session.It’s amazing how 343 doesn’t test their game on splitscreen.

Reach has a terrible split screen framerate. Halo 3 has by far the best split screen framerate out of Halo 3 - Halo 4.

> > This day,i raged like hell because of the horrible framerates,so me and my dad just went back to reach for a good splitscreen session.It’s amazing how 343 doesn’t test their game on splitscreen.
>
> Reach has a terrible split screen framerate. Halo 3 has by far the best split screen framerate out of Halo 3 - Halo 4.

IDK man, I played reach a lot on my other account with my friend on a near weekly basis and never had any framerate issues. We’d warm up on team slayer, sometimes team objective, then alternate between snipers and swat.

Maybe BTB had issues? But aside from a rare moment of lag, it was 100% smooth. Unlike Halo 4 where several maps are entirely unplayable.

It’s entirely possible that 343 did the best they could with the aging 360 hardware. They might be able to optimize it a little better or include things that people have mentioned before, but idk.

I think a lot of the changes made to Halo can be a result of this too.

Weapons despawn quickly because when large numbers of people die in the same place, the frame rate drops dramatically, without splitscreen.

Weapons could not spawn on the map like old Halo games because of this same reason, framerate lag due to the 360 having to render all of that and communicate with other 360’s. I know people put them in the forge test playlist, but I seem to remember the frame rate being not quite as smooth as Campaign or other maps.

This lead to the loadout system which allows people to use whatever weapon they would like and even give themselves more ammo if they don’t plan on dying. It also lead to the 2 minute power weapon spawns and ordinance drops. Power weapons spawn at the start of each match and 2 minutes thereafter (I believe…it’s something like that I know.)

I don’t play much splitscreen anymore, but that’s because controllers are effing expensive but I do hope they are able to work out something for those who do.

This is my biggest gripe. The Split Screen Frame Rate. It’s horrible, almost unplayable.

I play a lot on split screen and to be honest, not even overpowered DMR/Boltshot pisses me off as much as frame rate issues. For me, Halo was about playing with friends, and splitscreen was it’s most basic form.
There are few maps that are barely or not playable on splitscreen due to frame rate issues. I know this could be fixed by replacing poorly compiled maps (like Complex, or even Vortex) with it’s newer counterparts (those maps works smooth on Spartan Ops, thanks to more aggressive distance draw). I would love to play Complex, Shatter and Forge maps on splitscreen after TU. I know 343i can do it, and I hope they will. Right now it’s THE MOST IMPORTANT thing they must fix in Halo 4.

> I play a lot on split screen and to be honest, not even overpowered DMR/Boltshot pisses me off as much as frame rate issues. For me, Halo was about playing with friends, and splitscreen was it’s most basic form.
> There are few maps that are barely or not playable on splitscreen due to frame rate issues. I know this could be fixed by replacing poorly compiled maps (like Complex, or even Vortex) with it’s newer counterparts (those maps works smooth on Spartan Ops, thanks to more aggressive distance draw). I would love to play Complex, Shatter and Forge maps on splitscreen after TU. I know 343i can do it, and I hope they will. Right now it’s THE MOST IMPORTANT thing they must fix in Halo 4.

I agree, cause even without my friend’s and I favorite playlist(team snipers) in the game, we can still enjoy what’s there. But not with the frame rate issues :(.

Gameplay >>>>> Graphics. Always.

It’s really annoying that Forged maps create frame rate lag,they have in past Halo games.

> Sorry to hear about your experience. Just so you know, on-disc maps are in the first voting slot in Team Doubles. By offering slightly modified versions of Haven, Abandon and Solace, split-screen players have the option to play on a map that offers the best split-screen experience. Hopefully that will help your situation, even if a teeny-tiny bit.

is this the first time 343 replied quickly to a problem? Well well well…

> > This day,i raged like hell because of the horrible framerates,so me and my dad just went back to reach for a good splitscreen session.It’s amazing how 343 doesn’t test their game on splitscreen.
>
> Reach has a terrible split screen framerate. Halo 3 has by far the best split screen framerate out of Halo 3 - Halo 4.

no reach had better splitcreen than 3 because it didnt have blackbars down the side and framrate was still very good