Split screen black bars

Does anyone know how to fix the black bars when playing split screen multiplayer? I have an hd tv and an hdmi cable

I guess that was kinda vague, I get black bars on both sides of my screen when I play split screen war games and I have an HD LED TV and I’m using the HDMI cable that comes with the 360, so I was wondering if there is a setting that I need to configure?
Thanks

The black bars can’t be fixed without skewing the screen. I am assuming you have a 16x9 or similar sized wide screen tv by the way. But when you go into split screen they put black bars on the left and right so that the individual screens of the players are not stretched wide, or give you a wider view. Basically it maintains the size ratio of each persons view.

Yeah that’s one of the bad things about split screen. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more posts about split screen problems.

1. The black bars are pretty annoying.

2. No killcam.

3. No individual pause screen in game like cod.

4. Bad frame rate. Mine was bad with 2 people I don’t even want to see with 3 or 4.

5. Preorder and limited edition codes only work for the person who entered them. With other games anyone on the console can use them.

> The black bars can’t be fixed without skewing the screen. I am assuming you have a 16x9 or similar sized wide screen tv by the way. But when you go into split screen they put black bars on the left and right so that the individual screens of the players are not stretched wide, or give you a wider view. Basically it maintains the size ratio of each persons view.

Exactly. The bars on the side is an attempt to maintain the same aspect ratio as if it were a single player.

> 4. Bad frame rate. Mine was bad with 2 people I don’t even want to see with 3 or 4.

It’s completely unplayable with 4 people. They really would have been better off removing 3/4 player splitscreen and using the disc space for something else. Like a spectator mode.

Thanks for the replies! But if I recall correctly, there wasn’t the black bars in reach or halo 3?

They will work on the framerate im sure, they can’t leave it the way it is now… it would be really wrong…

> Thanks for the replies! But if I recall correctly, there wasn’t the black bars in reach or halo 3?

yeah there was

I guess it’s no big deal if I never noticed it before, thanks again! I’d press the thanks button but I’m on my phone and I can’t see it on the mobile site

I play on splitscreen with my sister and we brought the console and LE or about £310 and only one of us can have the codes… It’s a bit of a rip off because it means if I want to use the codes I have to go buy another console! I don’t understand why splitscreen always gets the -Yoink- (No Kill cams, Codes, black lines etc) I already spoke to Xbox trying to sort out the codes but they said they couldn’t do anything and have taken the issue higher. I really hope this gets sorted it’s pissed me right off.

I really hope that they fix the issue with the black bars on the sides. It really sucks. But there is word that they will fix it in Halo 5 for the Xbox One.

> I play on splitscreen with my sister and we brought the console and LE or about £310 and only one of us can have the codes… It’s a bit of a rip off because it means if I want to use the codes I have to go buy another console! I don’t understand why splitscreen always gets the Yoink! (No Kill cams, Codes, black lines etc) I already spoke to Xbox trying to sort out the codes but they said they couldn’t do anything and have taken the issue higher. I really hope this gets sorted it’s pissed me right off.

Actually you and a few others who have posted in this thread are wrong. 343 fixed the issue of codes only applying to one account. Me and my bro both have FOTUS and numerous other preorder and LE codes that work for both of us.

Try redownloading the dlc if it still not working for you.

> > Thanks for the replies! But if I recall correctly, there wasn’t the black bars in reach or halo 3?
>
> yeah there was

Interestingly on halo 3 the black bars only exist if it is in HD. Non HD does not have them.

In Reach HD there are the black bars. I never played this none HD so I don’t know if that removes them.

In the Reach Beta and ODST HD there are no black bars.

ODST HD has absolutely fantastic splitscreen, and it is a shame this has taken a step backwards.

> > 4. Bad frame rate. Mine was bad with 2 people I don’t even want to see with 3 or 4.
>
> It’s completely unplayable with 4 people. They really would have been better off removing 3/4 player splitscreen and using the disc space for something else. Like a spectator mode.

Really? I can get it to work fine with a 4-person slayer party. No framerate issues.

> I really hope that they fix the issue with the black bars on the sides. It really sucks. But there is word that they will fix it in Halo 5 for the Xbox One.

Please don’t revive old topics, thanks.