Speaking my mind about Halo 4.

I have a couple things to say about Halo 4. I’ve seen Halo evolve over the years since 2001. I absolutely loved Halo 2, and 3’s multiplayer. Reach was fun for a tiny bit of time then I’d lose interest pretty quick. I’m not going to bash Halo 4 because I haven’t even played it yet.

Ranking System. I know they haven’t announced an actual skill based ranking system yet, but are “working” on it. I know they didn’t bring Halo 3’s back due to boosters. I personally don’t enjoy getting EXP for kills, and what not. It takes away from team work in my opinion. I know they said if you win you do get a bonus, but I come from the competitive side of gaming, and would really enjoy an actual 1-50 rank system. They could use Halo 2’s ranking system, or a variant of that. Arena from Reach wasn’t great to me because it reset, and didn’t feel truly competitive because people would steal kills, and that’s how they would essentially have a better skill than others. Same goes for any EXP progression system that allows you to get points per kill ex: Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty. You get assist points which then makes it so everyone is going around trying to get all they kills they possibly can so they can rank up. To me, it seems like more of a selfish type of ranking system which ends up getting VERY boring. I lose interest to those kind of ranking systems. I would really love to see maybe even a separate playlist type of thing like in Halo 3 “Ranked Playlist,” but this time it would have a separate rank for the progression rank. It just went up 1-50 and didn’t affect a player’s actual rank, like in Halo 3 the only way to be a General was to get 600 EXP and a High Skill of 50. I mean, I did get my 50, and my General, but I can understand where it frustrates people. Reach’s system was just “let’s play all day to get the highest rank,” feels like no skill is involved, just time put in. I love getting matched up with people who are “good” at Halo games because it’s frustrating getting to a lobby where your whole team is HORRIBLE, and you’re the only good one.

Join in Session. I personally wouldn’t enjoy joining a Halo game after it already started, because 1. It usually sets you up for a loss. 2. Your team is probably bad, that’s why people quit, and you’re replacing them. I know they said they made it so you wouldn’t join at the end of the match, but I would like to have some say in what map (veto or vote on a map). Instead of searching then BAM you’re in a game, and you’re already down 15 kills, and you’re stuck thinking “Do I quit and lose EXP, or do I stay and take a loss?”

Armor Abilities. I have personally not enjoyed them in Reach. I just won’t care in Halo 4 since I now accept the fact they aren’t going away. I just hope none of them are too “nooby” or “OP.” Otherwise, I’ll be good.

SO HAPPY THERE ARE NO ELITES IN MULTIPLAYER!!

Also, the campaign looks great. Spartan Ops is very interesting, but cool sounding. Multiplayer I’m on the edge because I haven’t played it yet, and hope I can play competitive and have a way to show my friends the rank I earned by being “good.”

Anyways, enough ranting on. I hope this feels like a good Halo game. Reach was probably the only Halo I didn’t enjoy in the series. (I won’t go in to details because it’s a Halo 4 forum)

I feel lame for bumping my own post ._. lol. I just want to see if the community feels the same.

Bumping is considered spam and against the forum rules. If nobody responds to your post, just let it be.

in response to the join in session thing… i hope that losses do not count toward our service record if we join in when the game is already over (near the end or the opposing team is WAY ahead). Loses should only count if the player has played 50% of the match.

> Bumping is considered spam and against the forum rules. If nobody responds to your post, just let it be.

actually if it were not for him bumping the post I would not have seen/replied so even though it may be against forum rules it at least worked.

OP I agree with a lot of the things you said (thank god someone else felt the same way about the elites), however I have to say you didnt really say too much. 50% of what you were talking about was the ranking system and the other half was really brief. please try to be a little more detailed and specific about next time ok.

Well oops, my bad D: I don’t intend to spam. I just wanted a little response to see how the community feels. Also, I’ll go in better detail next time, but thanks.

> in response to the join in session thing… i hope that losses do not count toward our service record if we join in when the game is already over (near the end or the opposing team is WAY ahead). Loses should only count if the player has played 50% of the match.

You can’t join in progress near the end, so problem solved.

The ranking system will be there or it won’t. Plain and simple and we’ll all just have to deal with it. Believe it or not, the “competitive” community is a very small portion of all the people who currently play Halo games. The majority of people are “casuals.” In fact, the majority of ALL video game players are casuals. They just want to sit down and have a good time. And guess what, they achieve that by immersing themselves in a world where they are super soldiers that take a beating and still come out on top.

But more to the point, the progression system in Reach was, wait for it, also based on skill. You did indeed get more cR for performing better in a match than your peers. Thus pushing you through the ranks faster, and allowing you to show your friends what the Inheritor insignia looks like. If you performed poorly, or with less skill, you had to muddle through Warrant Officer for months on end. It was the same in Halo 3, you performed better, causing your team to win more, and you progressed through the ranks. The difference is this: in Halo 3 you could go 20 and 3 but still lose, and since there were very few individual awards given, you could still take a hit to your rank because the team lost. Reach fixed this by making you personally responsible for how many cR you could earn in any given match, and then gave you a bonus for winning.

And there is the heart of all of this. Winning. The goal is to win, and you should do EVERYTHING you can to help your TEAM win. If that means you soften somebody up with a few shots and someone else gets the kill, then great! Your team is doing better, and you’ll be rewarded at the end of the game. “Kill Stealing” is such an obtuse notion when the players are on the same team. If the objective is to kill more of them than they do of you, then what does it matter who gets the kill as long as the other guy is dead? There’s now less of them to interfere with you controlling the map, getting power weapons, etc. Your team does better, you do better individually because of that, and your rank will reflect that. There is no need for a number beside your avatar except for purely cosmetic reasons and vanity.

Join In Session: Brilliant idea as long as the systems are in place to prevent getting in at the last kill. I’m sure there will be some way to start your own lobby in matchmaking to avoid the Join In Session system altogether.

Armor Abilities: They add great variety and change the way you think about accomplishing the goal at hand.

Elites: Right there with ya buddy, get out and stay out.

Bobrob, thanks for the detailed response. It’s good to hear what others think. So I appreciate it.

Change is good for Halo, change is good overall and 343i is simply evolving Halo into the modern day–reinvigorating it.

> Bobrob, thanks for the detailed response. It’s good to hear what others think. So I appreciate it.

Absolutely! Too many blind, malice filled posts around here sometimes. See you on the battlefield.

> Hey, look a Bungie fan all butt-hurt that Halo has changed!

How am I “butt hurt?” I’m simply posting my opinion, and seeing what the rest of the community thinks. Don’t get me wrong, Halo 4 looks amazing. I’m just saying I hope it has that multiplayer/custom game replay like Halo 2/3. Remember, you could wake up at like 2 in the morning and still be able to get a full game of customs running? It was amazing. I just never experienced such a thing with Reach. That’s why I found it boring. Anyways, if you have “hate” take it elsewhere.

> > Bobrob, thanks for the detailed response. It’s good to hear what others think. So I appreciate it.
>
> Absolutely! Too many blind, malice filled posts around here sometimes. See you on the battlefield.

Yeah, hope to meet some cool people on Halo 4. My gamertag is Khazies. So if you see me, then you know who it is (: