Spawning with a mini-shotgun is silly

The next big title update comes on June 3rd. I can’t wait to test out the improved four shot BR. But what I hoping for most is a large nerf to the boltshot. This ‘weapon’ has been a pain since day one. Even with the distance nerf a few months back, the boltshot is still overpowered. I suggest a series changes that could make the weapon a little more balanced in the sandbox because spawning with a mini-shotgun is silly.

1. Charging the boltshot and hitting someone within it’s normal designated range only breaks ones shield. Sequential firing of the weapon would be require to finish off your opponent, similar to the plasma pistol.

2. Increase the time it takes to charge the boltshot and decrease it’s overall effective range.

3. Firing a charged shot uses a full clip.

Or if none of these options work…

1. give the boltshot a damage and range buff and make it an ordinance.

Mainly, the boltshot shouldn’t even be a thing. You should not be given a one shot kill weapon at spawn. If it were an ordinance it would be fine. IMO the boltshot cause a giant unbalancing of the Halo 4 sandbox.

Plasma Pistol and stickies in the loadout are a bigger problem. There are just some things we should not be able to spawn with.

> Plasma Pistol and stickies in the loadout are a bigger problem. There are just some things we should not be able to spawn with.

I agree. The Plasma Pistol being in loadouts makes all ground vehicles obsolete.

Glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks this but the Boltshot isn’t going to be changed on June 3rd. When asked about it, they said if the Boltshot needs further nerfing then that is certainly on the table for future changes past June 3rd.

I’d personally prefer option one because it is a simple fix compared to the others. Removing it from loadouts isn’t an option because one of the Specializations has a Boltshot skin as a reward and you’re denying players access to said reward by removing it from loadouts.

I’m genuinely surprised that people still complain about the Boltshot pre-patch.
Ever since the patch, I don’t think I’ve gotten a single kill with it, and have probably died less than five times due to it.

> I’m genuinely surprised that people still complain about the Boltshot pre-patch.
> Ever since the patch, I don’t think I’ve gotten a single kill with it, and have probably died less than five times due to it.

The Boltshot is still overly abused on Adrift and Abandoned. Also the boltshot in multi-team breaks the gameplay.

> I’m genuinely surprised that people still complain about the Boltshot pre-patch.
> Ever since the patch, I don’t think I’ve gotten a single kill with it, and have probably died less than five times due to it.

The only way you’re really going to kill someone with the post-patch boltshot nowadays is if they’re either stupid, don’t know how to strafe, they’re AWOL during a game, you’re really skilled with it, or you’re camping with it. It’s not easy to run around and try to kill with it in the middle of a gunfight :confused:

It should honestly be a gun that takes two hits to kill when charged up, but its charge and its recovery are faster. Basically making it a longer range melee when charged only that with consecutive charges, it takes longer than two melees.

Spawning with the Boltshot (mini-mauler), IMO, doesn’t belong in loadouts at all. Its overly abused and seems players only use the “Charging Shot” to get a kill. I barely see it being fire like a Magnum, shot by shot.

> Spawning with the Boltshot (mini-mauler), IMO, doesn’t belong in loadouts at all. Its overly abused and seems players only use the “Charging Shot” to get a kill. I barely see it being fire like a Magnum, shot by shot.

That’s because the shot by shot damage is awful. If you try and kill a fully shielded player using it, it takes 11 shots, the eleventh needing to be a headshot.

> > I’m genuinely surprised that people still complain about the Boltshot pre-patch.
> > Ever since the patch, I don’t think I’ve gotten a single kill with it, and have probably died less than five times due to it.
>
> The only way you’re really going to kill someone with the post-patch boltshot nowadays is if they’re either stupid, don’t know how to strafe, they’re AWOL during a game, you’re really skilled with it, or you’re camping with it. It’s not easy to run around and try to kill with it in the middle of a gunfight :confused:

Stupid? The boltshot is still terribly over used and OP on CQC levels. In close quarter combat, on levels that are small, the boltshot is op.

> > Spawning with the Boltshot (mini-mauler), IMO, doesn’t belong in loadouts at all. Its overly abused and seems players only use the “Charging Shot” to get a kill. I barely see it being fire like a Magnum, shot by shot.
>
> That’s because the shot by shot damage is awful. If you try and kill a fully shielded player using it, it takes 11 shots, the eleventh needing to be a headshot.

Yeah, for once, i rather have the “shot by shot” buffed, and nerf the “Charge Shot”, but that would be impossible. It would only make matters worse.

> > > I’m genuinely surprised that people still complain about the Boltshot pre-patch.
> > > Ever since the patch, I don’t think I’ve gotten a single kill with it, and have probably died less than five times due to it.
> >
> > The only way you’re really going to kill someone with the post-patch boltshot nowadays is if they’re either stupid, don’t know how to strafe, they’re AWOL during a game, you’re really skilled with it, or you’re camping with it. It’s not easy to run around and try to kill with it in the middle of a gunfight :confused:
>
> Stupid? The boltshot is still terribly over used and OP on CQC levels. In close quarter combat, on levels that are small, the boltshot is op.

If the “Charge Shot” wasn’t there, then it would’ve made it equal to the Magnum.

I think I’ve been killed with it twice since the patch, I would expect to see it more often then that for people completing commendations

> > > I’m genuinely surprised that people still complain about the Boltshot pre-patch.
> > > Ever since the patch, I don’t think I’ve gotten a single kill with it, and have probably died less than five times due to it.
> >
> > The only way you’re really going to kill someone with the post-patch boltshot nowadays is if they’re either stupid, don’t know how to strafe, they’re AWOL during a game, you’re really skilled with it, or you’re camping with it. It’s not easy to run around and try to kill with it in the middle of a gunfight :confused:
>
> Stupid? The boltshot is still terribly over used and OP on CQC levels. In close quarter combat, on levels that are small, the boltshot is op.

I haven’t been killed by it in days, to be honest. It isn’t used as much as it used to be before pre-patch, so I don’t feel it’s a big a problem as things like the plasma combo.

To reply to your statement, I’m pretty sure running at a guy with a charging boltshot is stupid, just saying. >.>

Just make the boltshot a two shot charge kill and buff the shot buy shot damage, I think that’s reasonable.

Like I said,

It should honestly be a gun that takes two hits to kill when charged up, but its charge and its recovery are faster. Basically making it a longer range melee when charged only that with consecutive charges, it takes longer than two melees.

At least it would encourage users to use the semi auto function to strip enemy shields and charge for the finisher or vice versa. Come to think of it, it would balance well as it would easily lose to the bigger weapons’ kill times.

Just to say also, put your suggestions in the Weapon Feedback topic.

Two charge shots to kill is an interesting idea, but you would have to reduce the delay between charging.

This would still make it a mini shotgun, but it would also alert players to it, and you wouldn’t be able to abuse corners and one-shot unsuspecting players with it.

Also increase the range if this is the case.

Even though it has been nerfed already it is still not enough. Smart players simply use it to strip shields which reduces you to a 1 shot free kill. We already have the PP that does the same thing while being harder to use in comparison.

I feel boltshot should be removed. If not then reduce its range to muzzel-stuffing up in your face distance and it should work like the splaser and auto fire only when full charge is reached. It is too easy to use and a 1sk weapon off spawn was a terrible, terrible idea in the first place. At longer range it shouldn’t even completely strip your shields, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 stripped

Just make it work like the H3 Mauler in that it’ll rip shields and do major health damage, but it won’t kill you in one shot if you have full shields. Have it so your opponent needs to be at 75% or 50% shields for it to kill you.

> Even though it has been needed already it is still not enough. Smart players simply use it to strip shields which reduces you to a 1 shot free kill. We already have the PP that does the same thing while being harder to use in comparison.

Take my suggestion, but make it do 60% shield damage.

This way it is still a two shot kill pocket-shotgun, but isn’t an easier to use plasma pistol.

I like the concept of a pocket shotgun, the only issue is it isn’t executed properly. Because what we have now isn’t a true pocket shotgun, it’s a shotgun on-par with the other shotguns.

Imagine if Halo 5 had a loadout shotgun that was two shots and fired slower than a standard shotgun. Wouldn’t be OP compared to other shotguns, or to other weapons in general.

Edit: Shamona inb4’d me.