Spartans: Where are They Now?

Okay, so this pops up from time to time…to much debate. There really isn’t an answer, only well-informed conjecture and speculation.

How many Spartan-IIs are still out there (at the time of Halo 5), and what are they up to?

By my count:

-Blue Team (obviously):
John-117
Kelly-087
Fred-104
Linda-058

-Grey Team (out there somewhere doing their shadowy thing)
Jai-006
Adrianna-111
Mike-120

-Spirit of Fire Red Team (now that we know HW2 is a go; hopefully they live through it)
Jerome-092
Douglas-042
Alice-130

We will assume that there were originally 150 candidates identified by Halsey:
75 candidates were acquired and indoctrinated into the program,
33+ candidates successfully completed augmentation and final training.

Samuel-034 was the first Spartan-II KIA, and most of the others died during the Fall of Reach and the weeks following up to the point when Chief extracted the Red Team survivors with Halsey and the Forerunner artifact from Castle Base when he returned from his battle on Installation 04 in September, 2552.

Post your thoughts below, but be prepared to give evidence from canonical sources, not unofficial wikis, YouTube poop, or random conspiracy theories.
Thoughts?

<mark>Mod edit: Moved to Universe</mark>

This should go the Halo Universe section.

Maria is still alive,along with naomi and cassandra who last we heard was in a recovery station. And there is also fhajad and Musa who are crippled but still apart of the unsc,and there are still some spartans who were crippled in the augmentation process who are on ice waiting for a potential reversal of the augmentation failures

Killin’ stuff. That’s the general answer, I find.

Kinda like that one…good for the resume.

The problem is, there’s a lot of discrepancies with varying sources on this. Specifically with how many were present for (and died during) the Fall of Reach. It’s easier to just count those that aren’t confirmed dead. Realistically, I’d say all the unknowns died on Reach, but we don’t really have proof. I’d put the number of healthy, active S-IIs at less than a dozen.

Jai-006: MIA as of 2551
Naomi-010: Active as of 2553
Kirk-018: Discharged after augmentation failures, rehab possible
Serin-019: Augmentation failure, current head of ONI
Douglas-042: MIA after Halo Wars, we know he’s still alive
Keiichi-047: Possibly killed on Reach, last seen during Harvest campaign
Linda-058: Active
Maria-062: Retired
Cassandra-075: Failed augmentation, recovering
René-081: Failed augmentation, rehab possible
Fhajad-084: Failed augmentation, works for ONI
Kelly-087: Active
Jerome-092: Ditto Douglas
Musa-096: Discharged, leads SPARTAN-IV program
Fred-104: Active
Adriana-111: MIA since 2551
John-117: Active
Mike-120: Ditto Adriana
Joseph-122: Unknown, possibly KIA on Reach
Alice-130: Ditto Douglas and Jerome
Carris-137: Unknown, possibly KIA on Reach

> 2535456575907503;6:
> The problem is, there’s a lot of discrepancies with varying sources on this. Specifically with how many were present for (and died during) the Fall of Reach. It’s easier to just count those that aren’t confirmed dead. Realistically, I’d say all the unknowns died on Reach, but we don’t really have proof. I’d put the number of healthy, active S-IIs at less than a dozen.
>
> Jai-006: MIA as of 2551
> Naomi-010: Active as of 2553
> Kirk-018: Discharged after augmentation failures, rehab possible
> Serin-019: Augmentation failure, current head of ONI
> Douglas-042: MIA after Halo Wars, we know he’s still alive
> Keiichi-047: Possibly killed on Reach, last seen during Harvest campaign
> Linda-058: Active
> Maria-062: Retired
> Cassandra-075: Failed augmentation, recovering
> René-081: Failed augmentation, rehab possible
> Fhajad-084: Failed augmentation, works for ONI
> Kelly-087: Active
> Jerome-092: Ditto Douglas
> Musa-096: Discharged, leads SPARTAN-IV program
> Fred-104: Active
> Adriana-111: MIA since 2551
> John-117: Active
> Mike-120: Ditto Adriana
> Joseph-122: Unknown, last seen 2552
> Oscar-129: Unknown
> Alice-130: Ditto Douglas and Jerome
> Carris-137: Unknown

Oscar is confirmed dead and Joseph is assumed KIA and keiichi and carris are probably two of the many spartans that died on Reach during it’s fall but they haven’t elaborated on those 2 or any of the ones that died during the pelican free fall

> 2533274830166194;7:
> > 2535456575907503;6:
> > The problem is, there’s a lot of discrepancies with varying sources on this. Specifically with how many were present for (and died during) the Fall of Reach. It’s easier to just count those that aren’t confirmed dead. Realistically, I’d say all the unknowns died on Reach, but we don’t really have proof. I’d put the number of healthy, active S-IIs at less than a dozen.
> >
> > Jai-006: MIA as of 2551
> > Naomi-010: Active as of 2553
> > Kirk-018: Discharged after augmentation failures, rehab possible
> > Serin-019: Augmentation failure, current head of ONI
> > Douglas-042: MIA after Halo Wars, we know he’s still alive
> > Keiichi-047: Possibly killed on Reach, last seen during Harvest campaign
> > Linda-058: Active
> > Maria-062: Retired
> > Cassandra-075: Failed augmentation, recovering
> > René-081: Failed augmentation, rehab possible
> > Fhajad-084: Failed augmentation, works for ONI
> > Kelly-087: Active
> > Jerome-092: Ditto Douglas
> > Musa-096: Discharged, leads SPARTAN-IV program
> > Fred-104: Active
> > Adriana-111: MIA since 2551
> > John-117: Active
> > Mike-120: Ditto Adriana
> > Joseph-122: Unknown, last seen 2552
> > Oscar-129: Unknown
> > Alice-130: Ditto Douglas and Jerome
> > Carris-137: Unknown
>
>
> Oscar is confirmed dead and Joseph is assumed KIA and keiichi and carris are probably two of the many spartans that died on Reach during it’s fall but they haven’t elaborated on those 2 or any of the ones that died during the pelican free fall

Updated. Guess the Halo wiki didn’t get the memo with that

> 2533274844346441;5:
> Kinda like that one…good for the resume.

Prior occupation: Killin’ stuff.
list all job skills: 1.killin’ stuff
2.killin’ stuff dead.
3. Baking

> 2535456575907503;8:
> > 2533274830166194;7:
> > > 2535456575907503;6:
> > > The problem is, there’s a lot of discrepancies with varying sources on this. Specifically with how many were present for (and died during) the Fall of Reach. It’s easier to just count those that aren’t confirmed dead. Realistically, I’d say all the unknowns died on Reach, but we don’t really have proof. I’d put the number of healthy, active S-IIs at less than a dozen.
> > >
> > > Jai-006: MIA as of 2551
> > > Naomi-010: Active as of 2553
> > > Kirk-018: Discharged after augmentation failures, rehab possible
> > > Serin-019: Augmentation failure, current head of ONI
> > > Douglas-042: MIA after Halo Wars, we know he’s still alive
> > > Keiichi-047: Possibly killed on Reach, last seen during Harvest campaign
> > > Linda-058: Active
> > > Maria-062: Retired
> > > Cassandra-075: Failed augmentation, recovering
> > > René-081: Failed augmentation, rehab possible
> > > Fhajad-084: Failed augmentation, works for ONI
> > > Kelly-087: Active
> > > Jerome-092: Ditto Douglas
> > > Musa-096: Discharged, leads SPARTAN-IV program
> > > Fred-104: Active
> > > Adriana-111: MIA since 2551
> > > John-117: Active
> > > Mike-120: Ditto Adriana
> > > Joseph-122: Unknown, last seen 2552
> > > Oscar-129: Unknown
> > > Alice-130: Ditto Douglas and Jerome
> > > Carris-137: Unknown
> >
> >
> > Oscar is confirmed dead and Joseph is assumed KIA and keiichi and carris are probably two of the many spartans that died on Reach during it’s fall but they haven’t elaborated on those 2 or any of the ones that died during the pelican free fall
>
>
> Updated. Guess the Halo wiki didn’t get the memo with that

Try halopedia.org instead

Sorge:
Thanks for the list…really good datacrawling. I didn’t know Grey was out…haven’t finished the novels, either.
Isn’t Carris the Spartan that worked with the ODST team and died in the collection of 7 animated Halo films, Halo Legends?
These may be considered non-canon, though.

> 2533274827767375;9:
> > 2533274844346441;5:
> > Kinda like that one…good for the resume.
>
>
> Prior occupation: Killin’ stuff.
> list all job skills: 1.killin’ stuff
> 2.killin’ stuff dead.
> 3. Baking

1. Keeping things interesting for lore monkeys

M.I.A. not dead.

> 2533274844346441;11:
> Sorge:
> Thanks for the list…really good datacrawling. I didn’t know Grey was out…haven’t finished the novels, either.
> Isn’t Carris the Spartan that worked with the ODST team and died in the collection of 7 animated Halo films, Halo Legends?
> These may be considered non-canon, though.

No, that was Cal-141. Carris only appeared in Halsey’s personal journal, where Halsey talked about how she had a history of not knowing her own strength and how she accidentally killed a trainer.

> 2535456575907503;14:
> > 2533274844346441;11:
> > Sorge:
> > Thanks for the list…really good datacrawling. I didn’t know Grey was out…haven’t finished the novels, either.
> > Isn’t Carris the Spartan that worked with the ODST team and died in the collection of 7 animated Halo films, Halo Legends?
> > These may be considered non-canon, though.
>
>
> No, that was Cal-141. Carris only appeared in Halsey’s personal journal, where Halsey talked about how she had a history of not knowing her own strength and how she accidentally killed a trainer.

That’s right…man, that’s what happens when I’m on the road, away from my source material. Thanks for the correct.

Below is an old post of mine, from before Halo 5 released and from before Hwars 2 was announced - therefore, ignore the Red Team theories. However, I’m sharing it because it compiles relevant information about Spartan-II possibilities. :slight_smile:

The real discrepancies, then, perhaps lie in the Spartan-II deployments to Reach during the invasion. Red Team, according to the 2010 First Strike reprint, consisted of 22 Spartan-II commandos deployed to the surface. So let’s look at our 33 Spartans, and see who could have been on this team?

Spartan - State of Service - CAPABLE of being present in Reach’s Red Team (2552)?

James-005 - Deployed with S-117 above Reach - No
Jai-006 - Gray Team - No
Li-008 - Red Team - Yes
Naomi-010 - Red Team - Yes
Daisy-023 - KIA 2531 - No
Joshua-029 - Red Team - Yes
Vinh-030 - Red Team - Yes
Sam-034 - KIA 2525 - No
Randall-037 - MIA 2537, Discharged 2546 - No
Isaac-039 - Red Team - Yes
Douglas-042 - MIA 2531 - No
William-043 - Red Team - Yes
Anton-044 - Red Team - Yes
Keiichi-047 - Possible Red Team - Yes
Kurt-051 - Training Spartan-III - No
Jorge-052 - Noble Team - No
Linda-058 - Deployed with S-117 above Reach - No
Malcolm-059 - Red Team - Yes
Maria-062 - Retired, UNSC reserves on Earth - No
Sheila-065 - KIA 2544 - No
Solomon-069 - KIA 2544 - No
Arthur-079 - KIA 2544 - No
Kelly-087 - Red Team - Yes
Jerome-092 - MIA 2531 - No
Grace-093 - Red Team - Yes
Fred-104 - Red Team Leader - Yes
Adriana-111 - Gray Team - No
John-117 - Deployed above Reach - No
Mike-120 - Gray Team - No
Joseph-122 - Escaped Trainee Post-Augmentation, Possibly continued training (Suicide NEVER confirmed) - Yes
Oscar-129 - KIA 2525 (suicide) - No
Alice-130 - MIA 2531 - No
Cal-141 - KIA between 2540-2551 - No

From this list of active-duty Spartan-IIs who successfully graduated the program, we see thirteen possible Spartans of the twenty-two said to be deployed on Reach’s surface in Red Team. There are some variables we could play with here:

-Presume Spartan-Red from the Spirit of Fire actually made it back to UNSC-controlled space prior to 2552 [Add three]
** The SoF crew has no lore pertaining to them following 2531, save for that the ship was seen, seemingly abandoned, with a flood spore. While extremely unlikely, you could technically add them back into the mix.

-Kirk-018 and Rene-081 were hoped by Halsey to be rehabilitated and possibly re-instated at some point prior to 2552. [Add two]

-Additionally to the above, only eight of twelve failed augmentations have been named and reported on. It is possible that, like Kirk-018 and Rene-081, these remaining four might have eventually been rehabilitated and re-instated into the Spartan-II program. [Add four].

13 + 3 + 2 + 4 = 22.

Therefore, if we make some bold assumptions, then and only then could the First Strike Red Team deployment make sense. Otherwise, that remains a discrepancy for which we’ll have to await a remedy. One other permutation of this 22-number could involve, again, more rehabilitated Spartan-IIs: subtract Spirit of Fire’s Red Team (as their presence is extremely unlikely), add in three Spartan-IIs who were technically KIA during augmentations, later revived as technologies improved, and re-entered service. I don’t like this approach either, because we have a massive pool of 25-unnamed KIA Spartan-IIs to pull from and it seems cheap, ineffective storytelling.

Gamma:
Thanks a megaton for this; psyched to have it on my thread. I’ve been looking for a good concise breakdown like this one. Although opinions vary widely, and there will never likely be total agreement, the numbers are good.
Thanks for this hard work, and update if you find further relevant details!

> 2533274864701588;16:
> Below is an old post of mine, from before Halo 5 released and from before Hwars 2 was announced - therefore, ignore the Red Team theories. However, I’m sharing it because it compiles relevant information about Spartan-II possibilities. :slight_smile:
>
> The real discrepancies, then, perhaps lie in the Spartan-II deployments to Reach during the invasion. Red Team, according to the 2010 First Strike reprint, consisted of 22 Spartan-II commandos deployed to the surface. So let’s look at our 33 Spartans, and see who could have been on this team?
>
> Spartan - State of Service - CAPABLE of being present in Reach’s Red Team (2552)?
>
> James-005 - Deployed with S-117 above Reach - No
> Jai-006 - Gray Team - No
> Li-008 - Red Team - Yes
> Naomi-010 - Red Team - Yes
> Daisy-023 - KIA 2531 - No
> Joshua-029 - Red Team - Yes
> Vinh-030 - Red Team - Yes
> Sam-034 - KIA 2525 - No
> Randall-037 - MIA 2537, Discharged 2546 - No
> Isaac-039 - Red Team - Yes
> Douglas-042 - MIA 2531 - No
> William-043 - Red Team - Yes
> Anton-044 - Red Team - Yes
> Keiichi-047 - Possible Red Team - Yes
> Kurt-051 - Training Spartan-III - No
> Jorge-052 - Noble Team - No
> Linda-058 - Deployed with S-117 above Reach - No
> Malcolm-059 - Red Team - Yes
> Maria-062 - Retired, UNSC reserves on Earth - No
> Sheila-065 - KIA 2544 - No
> Solomon-069 - KIA 2544 - No
> Arthur-079 - KIA 2544 - No
> Kelly-087 - Red Team - Yes
> Jerome-092 - MIA 2531 - No
> Grace-093 - Red Team - Yes
> Fred-104 - Red Team Leader - Yes
> Adriana-111 - Gray Team - No
> John-117 - Deployed above Reach - No
> Mike-120 - Gray Team - No
> Joseph-122 - Escaped Trainee Post-Augmentation, Possibly continued training (Suicide NEVER confirmed) - Yes
> Oscar-129 - KIA 2525 (suicide) - No
> Alice-130 - MIA 2531 - No
> Cal-141 - KIA between 2540-2551 - No
>
> From this list of active-duty Spartan-IIs who successfully graduated the program, we see thirteen possible Spartans of the twenty-two said to be deployed on Reach’s surface in Red Team. There are some variables we could play with here:
>
> -Presume Spartan-Red from the Spirit of Fire actually made it back to UNSC-controlled space prior to 2552 [Add three]
> ** The SoF crew has no lore pertaining to them following 2531, save for that the ship was seen, seemingly abandoned, with a flood spore. While extremely unlikely, you could technically add them back into the mix.
>
> -Kirk-018 and Rene-081 were hoped by Halsey to be rehabilitated and possibly re-instated at some point prior to 2552. [Add two]
>
> -Additionally to the above, only eight of twelve failed augmentations have been named and reported on. It is possible that, like Kirk-018 and Rene-081, these remaining four might have eventually been rehabilitated and re-instated into the Spartan-II program. [Add four].
>
> 13 + 3 + 2 + 4 = 22.
>
> Therefore, if we make some bold assumptions, then and only then could the First Strike Red Team deployment make sense. Otherwise, that remains a discrepancy for which we’ll have to await a remedy. One other permutation of this 22-number could involve, again, more rehabilitated Spartan-IIs: subtract Spirit of Fire’s Red Team (as their presence is extremely unlikely), add in three Spartan-IIs who were technically KIA during augmentations, later revived as technologies improved, and re-entered service. I don’t like this approach either, because we have a massive pool of 25-unnamed KIA Spartan-IIs to pull from and it seems cheap, ineffective storytelling.

What about Spartan Team Omega? They were a six-man team present during the Battle of Arcadia in 2531, and fought alongside Red Team (Douglas, Alice, Jerome). I think they were separate of Red Team, and I don’t think they belonged to the Spirit of Fire. They could still very much be alive.

I want to look that up now…stay tuned.

Isnt Randall officially dead? Pretty sure he went nuclear in Nightfall.