Spartan Ops requiring gold pass

A thread was probably already made pertaining to this topic, but I don’t want to necro a most probably 3-5 month old thread. Any suggestions, questions, and opinions are welcome. To start it off. Why make Spartan Ops require a gold pass to play it? If they’re going to make something similar to SpOps in the next Halo, I’d suggest to make it available for all audiences. (Gold and Silver Pass)…or just not have SpOps and bring back firefight.

By Gold Pass I mean Xbox Live…yeah…please reply with your views, questions, suggestions, and etc.

It’s weekly DLC if I understand it right…can’t really put that up on an offline disc.

> It’s weekly DLC if I understand it right…can’t really put that up on an offline disc.

Sure, but why not have it available to Xbox Live Silver members? There’s no reason for it to be exclusive to Gold members, is there?

> > It’s weekly DLC if I understand it right…can’t really put that up on an offline disc.
>
> Sure, but why not have it available to Xbox Live Silver members?

I would imagine that would be because Silver Members can’t use matchmaking. I don’t see why a solo experience would be out of the question though, but it was made for 4-player play.

> > It’s weekly DLC if I understand it right…can’t really put that up on an offline disc.
>
> Sure, but why not have it available to Xbox Live Silver members? There’s no reason for it to be exclusive to Gold members, is there?

There are restrictions for downloadable content for Silver Users, so this is most likely why it’s Gold only.

> > > It’s weekly DLC if I understand it right…can’t really put that up on an offline disc.
> >
> > Sure, but why not have it available to Xbox Live Silver members?
>
> I would imagine that would be because Silver Members can’t use matchmaking. I don’t see why a solo experience would be out of the question though, but it was made for 4-player play.

Correct - it all comes down to the Matchmaking service associated with Gold.
However, there is no reason that it shouldn’t be available for offline/solo play. The second disc install, and the 1.5 download contain all of the required files.
As much as it is designed for for than one player, what about making it available for System-link? I’d like nothing more than to be able to get some friends over for pizza and Halo, playing customs, campaign on Legendary and Spartan Ops over a LAN cable - without the need for Gold all around. Sadly, I cannot.
Would be much easier, and a lot less lag, than waiting for US based servers to host a game.

They said it was because making it Gold-only was the only way they could justify it, financially speaking, to Microsoft.

> They said it was because making it Gold-only was the only way they could justify it, financially speaking, to Microsoft.

Reason #205 to hate Microsoft

Yup, Firefight was playable offline, why isn’t Spartan Ops?
These missions are a mix between Campaign and Firefight experiences, and the system-link idea is very good for co-op gaming.
It bummed me too when I found out back in November that I had to be Gold to play it.
One thing that concerns me is… Even though xbox live for xbox is gone, we can still play campaign and local multiplayer/LAN in Halo CE and Halo 2.
The same for Halo 3, ODST, Wars and Reach, and Halo 4.

Except for Halo 4’s Spartan Ops! When xbox live goes down for 360, no more Spartan Ops for those who didn’t get a chance to play it…