Spartan Ops in Halo 5?

Given the backlash about it in Halo 4, the fact that we never got a second season, and that there’s been a huge demand for firefight, I doubt we will see it in Halo 5.

I think there will be after the positive outcome for the Spartan Ops in Halo 4.

I think we’ll see it in Halo 5, honestly. It was a great idea, and a great way to keep people coming back for story content. It was just poorly implemented in Halo 4. I think they learned some valuable lessons from it in Halo 4, and think they will bring it back in 5.

I would like there to be, but I’ve been led to believe that, while there may be a non-campaign player vs. ai mode, it will not be Spartan Ops as we know it. I’m okay with it if it means we get back Firefight, but too early to say. In the meantime if you’re looking for the continuation of the Spartan Ops storyline then look to Halo: Escalation.

I hope so It was a great idea it just needed some better implementation. We started to see that in the second half of the season especially episodes 7 and 10.

> 2533274873843883;5:
> I would like there to be, but I’ve been led to believe that, while there may be a non-campaign player vs. ai mode, it will not be Spartan Ops as we know it. I’m okay with it if it means we get back Firefight, but too early to say. In the meantime if you’re looking for the continuation of the Spartan Ops storyline then look to Halo: Escalation.

Thanks! I was looking forward to finding out what happens :slight_smile:

> 2533274873843883;5:
> I would like there to be, but I’ve been led to believe that, while there may be a non-campaign player vs. ai mode, it will not be Spartan Ops as we know it. I’m okay with it if it means we get back Firefight, but too early to say. In the meantime if you’re looking for the continuation of the Spartan Ops storyline then look to Halo: Escalation.

Thanks! I was looking forward to finding out what happens :slight_smile:

I hope so, it was a good way to expand the story beyond the game.
I only hope the mission structure is more interesting.
the movies that went with each mission were top notch. I would love to see more animated episodes.

> 2533274819302824;2:
> Given the backlash about it in Halo 4, the fact that we never got a second season, and that there’s been a huge demand for firefight, I doubt we will see it in Halo 5.

My thoughts exactly, however, its reception here seems to be mixed.

I hope that 343 bring Firefight back… I hope…

Spartan Ops in Halo 4 was just an easy-mode, low budget Campaign.

It was an amazing idea on paper, but the way they overestimated just how much content they can deliver and ended up going for quantity over quality. That led to oftenly repeated maps and ridiculous story excuses which really took the whole thing down and made people hate it. Then nobody played it, and now 343i think it’s a feature people don’t like. The cutscenes were pretty amazing, though.

Honestly though, I think that with proper execution- it can achieve great potential. First thing you need to do is slim down the number of missions (let’s say, 3 per week or maybe even just one long one), then craft an actual story into it and weave it in and out of the cutscenes. Then try to be smart in the use of maps- try to give players a new map every week, even if they play multiple missions on it in the same episode (that actually makes more sense from a story perspective than going from one map to another and back and doing 3 or 4 rounds of the same maps- staying on the same map in-episode would mean the Spartan never left the site and that there are story developments keeping him there, which would be an improvement over the unexplained mess of lame reasoning for returning to the same maps in Halo 4). Then apply the same thought process used in season 1.5 of mission variety and huge maps that open up further in different missions, and you already have a much better mode- without spending any more resources than you did last time.
ETA: Also, the infinite respawn thing is just ridiculous. There is literally no penalty to dying. The campaign’s checkpoint system should just be applied here.

A good Spartan Ops is very doable in my opinion. But will 343i risk it after the disaster of Halo 4’s version, or will they go the easy route and reintroduce Firefight? We’ll see.

Spartan Ops was terrible.

• Repetitive missions with no diversity… Spartan ops mission where re-skins of things done in the main champagne - Same recycled maps and environment. - faceless voiceless player characters that did little to carry the narrative.**Its only saving grace is the CGi Cut scenes which can be watched without ever having to play the grind that is spartan ops or see the Activities of Crimson.
    spartan ops story is continued in escalation… Halo 5 is apparently going to have a 4 player campaign co-op mode with blue team and ONI spartan team which would get rid of everything wrong with spartan ops.
    What would be the point of creating a watered down version of what will be the main game with characters some parts of the community are not fond about.

> 2533274819302824;2:
> Given the backlash about it in Halo 4, the fact that we never got a second season, and that there’s been a huge demand for firefight, I doubt we will see it in Halo 5.

Agreed. I liked the story but the missions weren’t that fun to play. Could be firefight but maybe something more objective based? I hope it’s something new.

As long as they don’t sacrifice firefight this time for spartan ops, sure. They do have to do a a lot of improvements like get rid of Infinite respawn.

I hope not. I’d much rather have firefight.

> 2533274830366691;12:
> Spartan Ops was terrible.
>
>
>
> - Repetitive missions with no diversity… Spartan ops mission where re-skins of things done in the main champagne
> - Same recycled maps and environment.
> - faceless voiceless player characters that did little to carry the narrative.*
> *Its only saving grace is the CGi Cut scenes which can be watched without ever having to play the grind that is spartan ops or see the Activities of Crimson.
> spartan ops story is continued in escalation… Halo 5 is apparently going to have a 4 player campaign co-op mode with blue team and ONI spartan team which would get rid of everything wrong with spartan ops.
> What would be the point of creating a watered down version of what will be the main game with characters some parts of the community are not fond about.

The thing is, you literally just described firefight too.

Recycled maps. Repetitive (even more so than Spartan Ops), and now there’s no overarching goal except to survive. And there was no narrative at all.

> 2533274907934539;16:
> > 2533274830366691;12:
> > Spartan Ops was terrible.
> >
> >
> >
> > - Repetitive missions with no diversity… Spartan ops mission where re-skins of things done in the main champagne
> > - Same recycled maps and environment.
> > - faceless voiceless player characters that did little to carry the narrative.*
> > *Its only saving grace is the CGi Cut scenes which can be watched without ever having to play the grind that is spartan ops or see the Activities of Crimson.
> > spartan ops story is continued in escalation… Halo 5 is apparently going to have a 4 player campaign co-op mode with blue team and ONI spartan team which would get rid of everything wrong with spartan ops.
> > What would be the point of creating a watered down version of what will be the main game with characters some parts of the community are not fond about.
>
>
> The thing is, you literally just described firefight too.
>
> Recycled maps. Repetitive (even more so than Spartan Ops), and now there’s no overarching goal except to survive. And there was no narrative at all.

Thing about Firefight is that it doesn’t boast itself as a second campaign, and people can enjoy it for what it is. SpOps was meant to be so much better, but ended up being actually a bit worse.

I did like how later in the Spartan ops campaign previous maps opened up to reveal new sometimes larger areas.
something firefight did not do.

PLEASE NO!!!

Unless it is coexisting with firefight

> 2533274907934539;16:
> > 2533274830366691;12:
> > Spartan Ops was terrible.
> >
> >
> >
> > - Repetitive missions with no diversity… Spartan ops mission where re-skins of things done in the main champagne
> > - Same recycled maps and environment.
> > - faceless voiceless player characters that did little to carry the narrative.*
> > *Its only saving grace is the CGi Cut scenes which can be watched without ever having to play the grind that is spartan ops or see the Activities of Crimson.
> > spartan ops story is continued in escalation… Halo 5 is apparently going to have a 4 player campaign co-op mode with blue team and ONI spartan team which would get rid of everything wrong with spartan ops.
> > What would be the point of creating a watered down version of what will be the main game with characters some parts of the community are not fond about.
>
>
> The thing is, you literally just described firefight too.
>
> Recycled maps. Repetitive (even more so than Spartan Ops), and now there’s no overarching goal except to survive. And there was no narrative at all.

In Firefight we knew what we had. It was more customizable and it could last longer than Spartan Ops missions.

> 2535457285799879;1:
>

Maybe, but it is a very good mode for playing with friends!