Spartan Ops Episode 7, a little nostalgic

When I was playing Episode 7 Chapter 1, the combat felt very nostalgic in the way that the mission unfolded. Personally it somewhat reminded me of the second campaign mission of Halo: CE, ‘Halo’. It gave me the feel that is was reminiscent of fighting the Covenant in between locating and saving the marine group, after existing the Forerunner tunnel.

Also the rest of the episode taking battle in the Infinity reminded me of the Pillar of Autumn mission. It felt very exciting to have the similar type of combat engagement from a past Halo game.

Also I reckon that the enemy engagements felt realistic and that they were needed. Unlike some other missions that feel strung along by enemy hordes in between objectives, I really do find that this was a very realistic and intense battle within the Infinity that really does feel reminiscent to past Halo games.

I applaud 343 on capturing on what I think was nostalgic and what reminded me of the first halo game, whether they intended it or not, it somewhat excited me. I definitely can’t wait for next weeks episode!

I just played Chapter 1…

343 have finally redeemed themselves, without a doubt.

I like how:

-the ordnance seems to stay on the level longer
-the ordnance is more varied
-we can see how much health the enemy Phantom has

But most importantly, Apex is such a brilliant map! Seemingly multiple paths, clean aesthetic, and we finally see the basic troops of Covies and Forerunners in one group.

I noticed some dead bodies instantly disappearing but besides that, there wasn’t any glaring fails (i.e. AI pathfinding).

Now to see if Chapter 2 was given the same dedication…

Me and my Bro were thinking the same thing! it reminded me of part of Halo 2 first mission and The Pillar of Autumn.

Alright, Chapter 2 is done.

It was ok. I liked how the objective was subtle and especially the level design but the Battlewagon spam near the end is just killer. I doubt I’ll even be able to stealth kill them on my Legendary playthrough.

Also, the 3 marines at the start don’t follow me… but I was pleasantly surprised to find there was a good reason for this, so they could help fight off the last wave at the end of the level.

The massive amount of UNSC weapons was pretty neat and convincing. I was also pleased to see familiar UNSC scenery items. coughblockade materialcough

I think this level has some marine AI collecting potential. Plenty of fuel rod guns are dropped so I think I could get the 7 marines to kill the Battlewagons for me. :smiley:

Overall, it was about equal to the first chapter but not as exciting.

I just wish there were checkpoints.

Edit:

Chapter 3 was a nice change of pace. I don’t really have any qualms about this one, other than the repetitive ‘there’s another nuke’ dialogue.

I’ve played through all the chapters twice. One set alone and the other set co-op matchmaking.

LOVE THEM!

While the Infinity maps are somewhat repetitive, I still love fighting on the ship.

It definitely is reminiscent of fighting on the POA from Halo CE.

What does perplex me though is why the Prometheans haven’t attacked before now? If they can just teleport into the Infinity, then they could have done so at any time and really wreaked havoc. Ah well, I’ll just leave that up to imagination and just enjoy the chapters for what they are without worrying about further explanation or conjecture.

The cinematic itself pulled me in while the gameplay was a masterpiece of it`s own.

> I’ve played through all the chapters twice. One set alone and the other set co-op matchmaking.
>
> LOVE THEM!
>
> While the Infinity maps are somewhat repetitive, I still love fighting on the ship.
>
> It definitely is reminiscent of fighting on the POA from Halo CE.
>
> What does perplex me though is why the Prometheans haven’t attacked before now? If they can just teleport into the Infinity, then they could have done so at any time and really wreaked havoc. Ah well, I’ll just leave that up to imagination and just enjoy the chapters for what they are without worrying about further explanation or conjecture.

I think it has to do with who’s commanding them. Didact seems to have been neutralized, I think the Prometheans are either commanded by Jul or are autonomous (but humanity has been marked as an enemy, like how the Installation 00 Sentinels turned on Chief).

Also, just played Chapter 4. Today, my dreams have finally come true:

Crawlers + Hunters

There’s also a Watcher but sadly it doesn’t even assist the Hunters (might be different on Legendary).

I liked how Roland joked about making us push buttons. Very cruel.

Lastly, these cruiser explosions are still lame. :confused:

Overall, it was pretty enjoyable, only marred by that explosion.

Probably my favorite episode so far.

Chapter 5 at last!

Did it have good pacing? Yes
Did it leave me wanting more? Yes
Did I enjoy it? Yes

If I enjoyed it on Easy, I’ll enjoy it on Legendary. Because quite frankly, I did not enjoy much of Episodes 1-6 even on Easy.

Episode 7, I award you an A+ in this review, for restoring my interest in this once godforsaken mode.

Also, best moment of Episode 7 for me was: a friendly Hunter :3