Spartan Locke deserves a book

In terms of lore, I don’t think Nightfall did enough to give us a deep understanding of Spartan Locke. As of now, he doesn’t seem to be much more complicated than the Master Chief by the time Halo 3 rolled around. The Fall of Reach is still probably one of my favorite pieces of fiction, and it helped establish the protagonist as a human and likable character before the games did.

Locke deserves a similar treatment. Let’s take a glance at the backstory presented to us:

> Locke was orphaned when the Covenant invaded his homeworld in 2535, being evacuated from the planet only minutes before its glassing by the Covenant. Losing everyone he had known, Locke was placed in a state orphanage with other children who had suffered a similar fate. Upon growing older, many of his compatriots enlisted in the United Nations Space Command, eager for revenge against the Covenant. However, Locke continued to blame the government for their failure to defend his homeworld and came to the conclusion that the UNSC was incapable of protecting its citizens. As a result, he became a freelance tracker and assassin.

Not sure about anybody else, but I see a lot of potential for a prequel book that details his experience losing his family, making new compatriots in an orphanage, his distrust of the government, his missions as an assassin.

To state the obvious, we’ll understand the character more and hopefully come to like him the way we’ve grown to like the Arbiter, Buck, and John himself. Besides, who doesn’t love a good Halo book to read?

I support the idea. Maybe some more details on his career in ONI and maybe at the latter quarter of the book his transition into the Spartan IV program.

After Halo 5 he is more than guaranteed an appearance in one of the future novels (if not as the main character than at least as a notable secondary character).

A book would be cool, but I wouldn’t mind having a straight up spinoff game about him as an assassin

> 2533274870884222;3:
> After Halo 5 he is more than guaranteed an appearance in one of the future novels (if not as the main character than at least as a notable secondary character).

Yeah definitely. Especially since Locke is more important than Chief now.

They should kill him off and pretend it never happened.

> 2533274961229108;6:
> They should kill him off and pretend it never happened.

Why?

> 2533274961229108;6:
> They should kill him off and pretend it never happened.

Nah.

> 2535468947915585;4:
> A book would be cool, but I wouldn’t mind having a straight up spinoff game about him as an assassin

Perhaps some campaign DLC? That’s looking like a decent possibility

Eric Nylund’s Evolutions story about the fate of Preston Cole had a Sec. 3 ONI agent propose that if Cole did fake his own death and survive the Battle of Psi Serpentis in 2543, then he should either be persuaded to rejoin the UNSC as a figurehead during the chaotic post-war climate in place of the Chief (who was floating in space at the time), or he can’t be persuaded, assuming he’s joined insurrectionist forces, he should be found and assassinated.

Perfect game/story for then-Agent Locke in my opinion, could occur after the events of Nightfall in early 2556 and before he becomes a Spartan in 2556, let’s say much later in the year. Thoughts?

I would read it!

Yep, a book about Locke will be great.

[deleted]

[deleted]

I would be up for some nice campaign DLC - something meaty and worthwhile with a focus on Locke. Even if its not free, good DLC, like what CD Project Red did with The Witcher would be something I’d drop some cash on.

> 2535435166399524;14:
> > 2533274961229108;6:
> > They should kill him off and pretend it never happened.
>
>
> You cheif fanboys are ridiculous. The halo universe isn’t all about cheif its bigger than the chief. If it was all about the chief it’d be called halo john adventures 1 , 2 , 3, 4, and 5.

It began with the Chief. Chief “fanboys” are the original fanboys of the series, and the only reason the series is even still here and exists in the first place. Since then new people have gotten into the series and expressed opinions like your own.

I bet you’re under 20 and Halo Reach was your first game, amiright, huh, huh???

I’d definitely read it and add it to my collection.

I will gladly take an in-depth Locke backstory, preferably one where the Nightfall series doesn’t exist so I can pretend it was never made. Worst piece of media from the franchise, in my opinion.

i would like a book about locke

but only if master chief is in it