Spartan IV's

Hey everyone, it’s been a long time since I’ve been on here. I used to live for Halo, and a couple of years ago I was fully caught up on all the novels and had played all the games like there was no tomorrow. But as school (and life in general) gets more serious after each year, my time for Halo grew shorter and shorter. That being said, my knowledge of the Universe is a little less than it used to be, so forgive me if I’m a little off.

I’m still a huge fan, and couldn’t wait to get my hands on Halo 4 when it came out. I was not a huge fan of the Spartan IV’s, though. Especially Palmer. Even her name makes me roll my eyes in annoyance. Call me old fashioned, but Spartans are raised in war. They know sacrifice, dedication, team effort, and selflessness… skills lost after the Spartan III program. The Spartan IV’s are nothing but trigger-happy war vets who are full of themselves for making it into the program following the Human-Covenant war. They are cocky, stuck up, unreasonable, and (for some reason) apparently strong enough to take out multiple Elites in hand-to-hand combat. Last I checked, The Spartan II’s were augmented to hell’s end and they emerged evenly strong as an Elite. If you read the Fall of Reach (I believe it’s that book) the Chief squares off in Space with an Elite and he even said himself they’re too evenly matched. Yet Spartan IV’s, who are not as augmented as previous Spartans, let alone having lesser suits, are able to take out Elites like it’s nothing. I hate how 343 is trying to make them look so badass, I personally think it’s severely backfiring. Making them have this better than the rest attitude is getting annoying, they will never be better than previous generations of Spartans because they physically aren’t capable of it. Spartan IV’s have the attitude of a cocky little freshman who made senior team and feels like he/she needs to overly prove themselves to the rest by showing off. They’re the ball-hoggers, the ones who miss the easy pass, the ones who let the ball slip by them allowing the enemy team to score… you get the idea. I didn’t mind Spartan Ops, but I stopped playing it because of the IV’s… and mainly Palmer.

So… I’m wondering what everyone else’s take on them are. Do you like them, do you not like them? Do you wish to rip me apart for either my opinion or lack of perfect knowledge of the universe? (it used to be phD tier, I swear). Will this thread go anywhere? I wish to see what everyone else thinks about them, and if I’m the only one who is not fond of them haha. Thanks for the time!

When it comes to the Spartan-IV’s the basic consensus is distaste, however all the reasons you brought up I believe were creative decisions. The Spartan-IV’s are more “Human” than the previous Spartans. Spartan-II’s to be precise, they have the attitude of a Marine, or well in this case basically anyone. I may have distaste to how they acted, but I think 343i intended that notion.

Now for the strength, I believe that may just be the armor rather than augmentations. As the Spartan-IV’s do not have the same amount of augmentations. It is just explained that the armor does most of that work.

You do know that at least 300 of the Spartan’s on the Infinity are Spartan-III’s from Gamma Company. And Headhunters too. Also any remaining squads like Noble team. So some of those trigger Happy Spartans yout fight with on H4 and Spartan Ops could be 3’s. Hell, you could be playing as a 3 in spartan ops and the MP if you wanted to say so

> 2533274821609239;2:
> When it comes to the Spartan-IV’s the basic consensus is distaste, however all the reasons you brought up I believe were creative decisions. The Spartan-IV’s are more “Human” than the previous Spartans. Spartan-II’s to be precise, they have the attitude of a Marine, or well in this case basically anyone. I may have distaste to how they acted, but I think 343i intended that notion.
>
> Now for the strength, I believe that may just be the armor rather than augmentations. As the Spartan-IV’s do not have the same amount of augmentations. It is just explained that the armor does most of that work.

Idk. New Blood made it seem like S4s got everything the S-2’s got and The S-3s. Just sense it happened later in their life span. They didn’t get all the Benefits like enhanced height.

> 2533274803137071;3:
> You do know that at least 300 of the Spartan’s on the Infinity are Spartan-III’s from Gamma Company. And Headhunters too. Also any remaining squads like Noble team. So some of those trigger Happy Spartans yout fight with on H4 and Spartan Ops could be 3’s. Hell, you could be playing as a 3 in spartan ops and the MP if you wanted to say so

No I was not aware of that. And I did forget that Spartans wishing to continue their service in the program were dubbed Spartan IV’s, regardless if they were II’s or III’s. Those are good points.

> 2533274821609239;2:
> When it comes to the Spartan-IV’s the basic consensus is distaste, however all the reasons you brought up I believe were creative decisions. The Spartan-IV’s are more “Human” than the previous Spartans. Spartan-II’s to be precise, they have the attitude of a Marine, or well in this case basically anyone. I may have distaste to how they acted, but I think 343i intended that notion.
>
> Now for the strength, I believe that may just be the armor rather than augmentations. As the Spartan-IV’s do not have the same amount of augmentations. It is just explained that the armor does most of that work.

They are indeed more human. A lot of the Spartan IV’s to the best of my knowledge were ODST’s from the Human-Covenant war, and they’ve been repeatedly described as crazy… so I guess they’re human to an extent haha (jokes). They’re still way more human than a Spartan II/III, though. There was probably a reason to why they portrayed them the way they did, I’m interested to see how they are in Halo 5. We were only shown a few IV’s from Spartan Ops, and thinking about it they worked closely with Palmer (sort of) so it’s possible her attitude rubbed off on the ones we’ve seen giving them a bad impression for the rest that we haven’t been introduced to yet. Palmer does have a bad attitude after all. Thanks for the explanation on the strength part too!

I think you give any soldier access to power armor and augmentations that make them the apex of humanity and you’ll get your fair share of arrogant Spartans. Yet most of the IVs seem like decent people. Gabriel Thorne actually had the common sense to make his own opinion on Halsey rather than buying into the rumors that she was worse than -Yoink!-. Naiya Ray has proven a capable soldier both undercover and in the field. Holly Tanaka had no real issues prior to becoming a Spartan and I see no reason to suggest she suddenly becomes bad. I mean, if you invest in these characters you’ll see Spartan Ops is hardly the best representation of them. Even Sarah Palmer mellows out and becomes a capable leader and shows a genuine appreciation for those under her command. She sure ain’t perfect, but I think her behavior causing trouble may be part of a learning process for her.

> 2533274821609239;2:
>

Props to this guy

> 2533274852275209;5:
> > 2533274803137071;3:
> > You do know that at least 300 of the Spartan’s on the Infinity are Spartan-III’s from Gamma Company. And Headhunters too. Also any remaining squads like Noble team. So some of those trigger Happy Spartans yout fight with on H4 and Spartan Ops could be 3’s. Hell, you could be playing as a 3 in spartan ops and the MP if you wanted to say so
>
>
> No I was not aware of that. And I did forget that Spartans wishing to continue their service in the program were dubbed Spartan IV’s, regardless if they were II’s or III’s. Those are good points.

Idk know if the 2’s were brought into the Spartan program like the 3’s. For Master Chief, Fred, Kelly, and Linda all still have their Ranks in Halo 5. And one of the things that everyone ends up happening when they enter the Spartan Branch is loss their rank and Just become spartans