Spartan IV Armour

I’m a massive fan of the new helmets that Halo 4 bought, but I can’t help but like everything else from Reach.

In old Halos did Spartans wear these black undersuits? And if they did were they visible? There just seems to be less area covered by armour on the Spartan IVs and it makes them look feeble.

IMO

Well, OP, i too love the Spartan IV armor, especially the one I’m wearing now, lol.
BTW, the black under-suits are worn as well in Halo 4. I think its one of those Gel-Suits.

The only helmets I truly like in this game are:

Recruit, Warrior, Recon, Wetwork, Operator, Orbital and Mark VI. Everything else looks weird and I don’t much care for them. Also the visor colors are stupid looking. Primarily why I stick to ‘Frost’.

I feel Halo 4 missed the mark with armor. Some of this could be avoided with bigger player cards (Reach hit the mark there IMHO.)

The gel suits or whatever they are should be all black like in Reach – changing them to match the primary color makes the armor difficult to discern.

Also, the armor itself is difficult to identify. Show me a picture of a chest piece or shoulder pad and I’ll be hard pressed to tell you its name.

Case in point: Look at the halo homepage today. There’s a Reach Spartan and I can tell you immediately what armor he’s wearing (Grenadier Collar, Grenadier helmet up-armored, and Security shoulders). Now that looks like a Spartan… Heavy duty armor that covers the whole body. Halo 4’s armor feels too much like Mr. Potato-head mix and match and the skins don’t really distinguish one set from another.

I think Spartans looked a lot nicer when their whole body was covered in the armour

Well, between the lack of my favourite armors, the visorless helmets and the very boring and indistinguishable armor in this game, I can’t say I’m a fan of it.

I mean, what is the difference between Soldier and Hazop for shoulders? They are almost the exact same.

Most of the chest pieces and helmets look identical (I’d be hard pressed to tell you the name of any of the armor in Halo 4 if you showed me a picture of it) and the deviations aren’t anywhere near the significance they were in Reach or 3.

This armor covers less of the body as well, and I’m convinced it’s not so much armor as it is shielding unit and technology (such as how much pressure it can withstand, how light it is etc. with very few pieces actually designed as armor.

The thing about Reach’s armor is it was designed for Spartan III, who canonically didn’t have shields (shields were only there for gameplay reasons as stated by bungie). Spartan IV have shields and would need less armor overall.

The design style of the armor is really lacking, however.

I totally agree with the body armour, I can’t agree with the helmets.

While this will always be my favourite: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/110/4/4/Halo_3_Mark_V_Spartan_by_5N1P312_13100D.jpg

I’m a massive fan of the Tracker, Rogue and Pioneer helmets. Really I have no gripes with the helmets in general, the new style shows that humanity no longer needs to care purely about defensive and can chuck a bit of aesthetics in as well.

The bodies though, they just seem so weedy when they’re not covered by the suits.

>

Well, actually, SPII armor did not have shields. Those Spartans that proved to be too good to be sacrificed like all the rest were taken away and they received MJOLNIR armor to make them last longer, so actually armors in Reach have canonical shielding.

> Well, between the lack of my favourite armors, the visorless helmets and the very boring and indistinguishable armor in this game, I can’t say I’m a fan of it… The design style of the armor is really lacking, however.

Oh yeah, the visors are irksome. We finally get some great visor colors only to have some of the (arguably)coolest helmets replace the visor with white patches.

And the shape of the visors… the molded visors of WarMaster and the JFO look-alike are kinda neat. But CIO, Engineer, Hazop… a few others I can’t name… they’re just too weird or unnoticeable to be cool IMHO.

The black undersuit was in previous games, but in Halo 4 it isn’t completely black for unexplained reasons. The SIV’s in SpOps and Master Chief have the black undersuits, but players don’t. This is one of those tiny details that irritates me to no end.

As for the armor, most of it hangs loosely over your Spartan’s frame. It’s just kinda slapped on unlike in previous games where it was built into your basic armor.

It’s decent enough. My favorite suit will ALWAYS be the Mjolnir Mark V (5). I thoroughly enjoyed Halo: CEA’s new rendition of it.

GUNGNIR FTW :slight_smile:

> Well, between the lack of my favourite armors, the visorless helmets and the very boring and indistinguishable armor in this game, I can’t say I’m a fan of it.
>
> I mean, what is the difference between Soldier and Hazop for shoulders? They are almost the exact same.
>
> Most of the chest pieces and helmets look identical (I’d be hard pressed to tell you the name of any of the armor in Halo 4 if you showed me a picture of it) and the deviations aren’t anywhere near the significance they were in Reach or 3.
>
> This armor covers less of the body as well, and I’m convinced it’s not so much armor as it is shielding unit and technology (such as how much pressure it can withstand, how light it is etc. with very few pieces actually designed as armor.
>
> <mark>The thing about Reach’s armor is it was designed for Spartan III, who canonically didn’t have shields (shields were only there for gameplay reasons as stated by bungie).</mark> Spartan IV have shields and would need less armor overall.
>
> The design style of the armor is really lacking, however.

Never knew this.

Why are there shields in the cutscenes, then?

> GUNGNIR FTW :slight_smile:

No…Vanguard FTW.

Majority of the new Spartan 4 Armor sucks. Whoever designed them and finalized them should be replaced.

> > GUNGNIR FTW :slight_smile:
>
> No…Vanguard FTW.

GUNGNIR and Vanguard FTW!

> Never knew this.
>
> Why are there shields in the cutscenes, then?

He’s just mixing up facts. The SPI armor, which the majority of III’s wore didn’t have shields. Noble team, and a few others, were given Mark V armor as they were deemed more valuable than the other III’s.

Wait, so exactly how does the colour of SPARTAN-IV undersuits work? Is the colour of the undersuit the colour of the primary or secondary colour?

I am wearing Warrior (with Brick and White colours) right now but the undersuit seems to be coloured black…

Halo 4 armor looks like a knockoff of Power Ranger suits and other anime, like Gundam, mixed together to fit into the Halo universe. Heck, it looks like all the armor is just placed on randomly, and it leaves too many vulnerable spots, so one sniper shot is game over.

Click this for an example of Halo 4 armor. How do you even see out of the helmets?

This is what Spartan armor SHOULD look like.

> Halo 4 armor looks like a knockoff of Power Ranger suits and other anime, like Gundam, mixed together to fit into the Halo universe. Heck, it looks like all the armor is just placed on randomly, and it leaves too many vulnerable spots, so one sniper shot is game over.
>
>
> Click this for an example of Halo 4 armor. How do you even see out of the helmets?
>
>
> This is what Spartan armor SHOULD look like.

It’s not just the armor, there’s also the direction for the Halo franchise 343 is going in.

They’re trying to bring in elements from other modern sci-fi franchises into Halo. Have you not seen some of the cutscenes, Spartan Ops Episode trailers, the armor, and music? Star Wars.