Spartan/Elite shields

So I’m curious about how the shields for Spartans and elite work. They have a limited resistance to rounds and plasma until the shield over loads and fails. That being said, how can a knife penetrate them? I’ve read most of the books and don’t recall reading anything about it. Perhaps I’m over thinking the topic too much. Just seems a bit off to me. The only logical assumption I can make is that the Spartans can apply so much force that is greater than the kinetic energy generated from a live round.

Any ideas/input?

Read Dune. A sci-fi shield (as it’s used there and here because bungie wasn’t that creative after all) works to stop objects coming in at a high velocity. Hence why your character can grab things, be grabbed, and breath from within a shield (both air and hands don’t have the necessary velocity to react with the barrier.)

A slow moving object, like a knife, is therefore fair game.

Halo 4 CGI just makes my attempts on Legendary feel useless, when Spartan IVs can put a few rounds into a Promethean while my Masterchief spends five minutes and a whole, or even two magazines from a Light Rifle.

Even though a Spartan melee is as much kinetic energy as six .308 rounds from an MA5D, it’s still a low velocity so it can bypass shields. As to why it actually pops the shields themselves, I’ll never know.

> Read Dune. A sci-fi shield (as it’s used there and here because bungie wasn’t that creative after all) works to stop objects coming in at a high velocity. Hence why your character can grab things, be grabbed, and breath from within a shield (both air and hands don’t have the necessary velocity to react with the barrier.)
>
> A slow moving object, like a knife, is therefore fair game.

Makes perfect sense. A buddy of my has been harping at me to read Dune for a long time. Guess it’s time. Thanks.

Don’t know about it. Still, it’s weird how it can stop fast things from penetrating while allowing slow ones like air and objects-to-grab to do so…

… but it still can lift you up the floor for no apparent reason when the floor surface actually is in the latter situation (as seen in The Fall of Reach).

Doesn’t make sense.

> Halo 4 CGI just makes my attempts on Legendary feel useless, when Spartan IVs can put a few rounds into a Promethean while my Masterchief spends five minutes and a whole, or even two magazines from a Light Rifle.

I know that feeling…

> … but it still can lift you up the floor for no apparent reason when the floor surface actually is in the latter situation (as seen in The Fall of Reach).
>
> Doesn’t make sense.

The Fall of Reach was the first Halo novel and thus is full of canon inconsistencies.

I would say speed. That is also explained on Ghosts of Onyx, when the Spartans cannot damage the Sentinels with their guns, but they can attack them with rocks.
Also, when making assassinations on Halo 4, I can see that before stabbing, the victims shields collapse because you actually punch them before using the knife.

> So I’m curious about how the shields for Spartans and elite work. They have a limited resistance to rounds and plasma until the shield over loads and fails. That being said, how can a knife penetrate them? I’ve read most of the books and don’t recall reading anything about it. Perhaps I’m over thinking the topic too much. Just seems a bit off to me. The only logical assumption I can make is that the Spartans can apply so much force that is greater than the kinetic energy generated from a live round.
>
> Any ideas/input?

They stab where the latex is that is around the metal armor. You see it when master chief takes off his metal armor in the epilogue and his body is covered with latex, there is no armor in the neck of an elite or spartan just latex.

> Also, when making assassinations on Halo 4, I can see that before stabbing, the victims shields collapse because you actually punch them before using the knife.

Never noticed that. I’ll have to check it out.

> I would say speed. That is also explained on Ghosts of Onyx, when the Spartans cannot damage the Sentinels with their guns, but they can attack them with rocks.
> Also, when making assassinations on Halo 4, I can see that before stabbing, the victims shields collapse because you actually punch them before using the knife.

That’s probably why when you punch someone without assassinating all their armor goes down but when assassinating the knife finishes them off.

What I have wondered is how in the yoink was Master Chief able to penetrate that liche with a knife AND hold on? I mean seriously master chief is balls strong but that knife can’t possibly be that strong, and for that matter it should of broke do to master chiefs power. Most cheesy cut-scene of any Halo game, ever. I try to pretend that didn’t happen.

Sorry for being off topic there, anyway I pretty much agree with what “Duncan Idaho 11” wrote.

> > So I’m curious about how the shields for Spartans and elite work. They have a limited resistance to rounds and plasma until the shield over loads and fails. That being said, how can a knife penetrate them? I’ve read most of the books and don’t recall reading anything about it. Perhaps I’m over thinking the topic too much. Just seems a bit off to me. The only logical assumption I can make is that the Spartans can apply so much force that is greater than the kinetic energy generated from a live round.
> >
> > Any ideas/input?
>
> They stab where the latex is that is around the metal armor. You see it when master chief takes off his metal armor in the epilogue and his body is covered with latex, there is no armor in the neck of an elite or spartan just latex.

It’s actually titanium-nanocomposite, which is technically armor as well, but presumably easier to penetrate.

> What I have wondered is how in the yoink was Master Chief able to penetrate that liche with a knife AND hold on? I mean seriously master chief is balls strong but that knife can’t possibly be that strong, and for that matter it should of broke do to master chiefs power. Most cheesy cut-scene of any Halo game, ever. I try to pretend that didn’t happen.
>
> Sorry for being off topic there, anyway I pretty much agree with what “Duncan Idaho 11” wrote.

It’s 500 years in the future. If we’re still using melee weapons at this point, they must be DAMN strong. I don’t doubt that humanity has crafted some insane works of metal by that point in time.

> > What I have wondered is how in the yoink was Master Chief able to penetrate that liche with a knife AND hold on? I mean seriously master chief is balls strong but that knife can’t possibly be that strong, and for that matter it should of broke do to master chiefs power. Most cheesy cut-scene of any Halo game, ever. I try to pretend that didn’t happen.
> >
> > Sorry for being off topic there, anyway I pretty much agree with what “Duncan Idaho 11” wrote.
>
> It’s 500 years in the future. If we’re still using melee weapons at this point, they must be DAMN strong. I don’t doubt that humanity has crafted some insane works of metal by that point in time.

Yeah I know, but those knifes look like they can be made today tbh. Yeah maybe I’m talking about it from a vision standpoint, but really if I see a knife that looks like it’s from the 21st century stabbing some extremely strong alien ship in a supposed 500+ years from now, it feels unrealistic. I’d like to see some futuristic melee based weapon from the unsc side at some point(usable or not) instead of metal knifes lol.

There’s a book in the novel series called “Ghost of Onyx” that bassically shows us. The example is with sentinels of course, but our technology and theirs still share some simularity. High velocity objects (gun shots) and be stopped by the shields, while low velocity (in this case, the knife) passes right through.