Spartan Customization: Color

I was excited to hear that Halo is going back to reach like customization but here is one aspect I hope they mimic from Reach as well - Armor Color. I have to say the armor colors in Halo 5 were very bright and vibrant which gave it a very cartoony feel. I’ve started playing Reach again and noticed the colors and very drab and flat and honestly they look a lot better. That coupled with the old art style it really works. Even the pink color feels grounded and a plausible use for a spartan. Anyway, my opinion what do you think?

It’s not just the colors, but the entire visual style of Reach. It’s obviously futuristic, but more grounded in reality than Halo 4 or 5. It’s a lot like looking at the original Star Wars trilogy vs the prequels. For me, Reach is the high point of Halo’s visual design.

> 2533274832784144;2:
> It’s not just the colors, but the entire visual style of Reach. It’s obviously futuristic, but more grounded in reality than Halo 4 or 5. It’s a lot like looking at the original Star Wars trilogy vs the prequels. For me, Reach is the high point of Halo’s visual design.

Agree 100%. I’ll admit I do like the Halo 5 movement style but the Art style of Reach was peak Halo.

How would you feel about a wider range of colors, ranging from “cartoony” and vibrant, to drab and grounded, so everyone can be happy, including people who want to have a brighter Spartan and also people who want to have a grittier Spartan? Personally I don’t like the idea of forcing everyone to have drab colors just because some people want the whole game to look gritty. Reach was a nice-looking game but I wasn’t happy with the color selection, especially since it lacked a proper purple (the “violet” was far too blue). Same thing with weapon skins. You can have your grounded militaristic weapon skins while I enjoy using my Pop Cultures. After all, multiplayer is just a training simulation for Spartans, right?

> 2533274904158628;4:
> How would you feel about a wider range of colors, ranging from “cartoony” and vibrant, to drab and grounded, so everyone can be happy, including people who want to have a brighter Spartan and also people who want to have a grittier Spartan? Personally I don’t like the idea of forcing everyone to have drab colors just because some people want the whole game to look gritty. Reach was a nice-looking game but I wasn’t happy with the color selection, especially since it lacked a proper purple (the “violet” was far too blue). Same thing with weapon skins. You can have your grounded militaristic weapon skins while I enjoy using my Pop Cultures. After all, multiplayer is just a training simulation for Spartans, right?

That is fair, the more options the better IMO. Maybe they have a gritty scale slider :wink: That being said what is your view on the overall asthetic of the Halo games? The my biggest request aside from color is keeping an art design more in line with Reach rather than the (IMO) over the top style of Halo 4 & 5. I will say the design of MCs armor and Blue team were good. Osiris not so much.

> 2533274895683392;5:
> That is fair, the more options the better IMO. Maybe they have a gritty scale slider :wink: That being said what is your view on the overall asthetic of the Halo games? The my biggest request aside from color is keeping an art design more in line with Reach rather than the (IMO) over the top style of Halo 4 & 5. I will say the design of MCs armor and Blue team were good. Osiris not so much.

I agree, more options is better. My opinion on the overall aesthetic of Halo games? I would enjoy an art style closer to Reach, and I guess Halo Wars from what I’ve seen of that game, though I could also appreciate a more sleek shiny style as well. My biggest request is that we don’t get ugly helmets like Seeker, Nomad, Recluse, etc. No matter what Halo Infinite’s art style looks like, I don’t want to see helmets that look like that. I hope they design the helmets around a dummy head model so their sizes and visor positions are consistent, which they aren’t in Halo 5.

I gotta say Blue team’s armor does look pretty nice overall. Linda’s armor pulls off the two-eyed visor look much better than Ranger or even EOD, in my opinion. However I’m not sure I like Kelly’s helmet being yet another EVA knockoff design. Osiris team’s armor mostly looks ok, especially since Buck basically has ODST armor but I’m not a fan of the puffy cheeks and odd-looking visor on Locke’s helmet. Just my opinion.

> 2533274904158628;6:
> > 2533274895683392;5:
> > That is fair, the more options the better IMO. Maybe they have a gritty scale slider :wink: That being said what is your view on the overall asthetic of the Halo games? The my biggest request aside from color is keeping an art design more in line with Reach rather than the (IMO) over the top style of Halo 4 & 5. I will say the design of MCs armor and Blue team were good. Osiris not so much.
>
> I agree, more options is better. My opinion on the overall aesthetic of Halo games? I would enjoy an art style closer to Reach, and I guess Halo Wars from what I’ve seen of that game, though I could also appreciate a more sleek shiny style as well. My biggest request is that we don’t get ugly helmets like Seeker, Nomad, Recluse, etc. No matter what Halo Infinite’s art style looks like, I don’t want to see helmets that look like that. I hope they design the helmets around a dummy head model so their sizes and visor positions are consistent, which they aren’t in Halo 5.
>
> I gotta say Blue team’s armor does look pretty nice overall. Linda’s armor pulls off the two-eyed visor look much better than Ranger or even EOD, in my opinion. However I’m not sure I like Kelly’s helmet being yet another EVA knockoff design. Osiris team’s armor mostly looks ok, especially since Buck basically has ODST armor but I’m not a fan of the puffy cheeks and odd-looking visor on Locke’s helmet. Just my opinion.

Yeah… Seeker… please just. No.

I just want to be able to slap mud and blood and stuff on my Spartan. Make it look like he waded through a swamp.

To this day, Reach has my favorite armor colors of any Halo game. It by far had my favorite Olive greens of any Halo game.

In most other Halo games, sage tends to look like a vibrant pickle green but the Halo: Reach Sage was actually a nice, deep Olive Drab (you know, like 90% of the UNSC’s other equipment).

If nothing else, Halo Infinite needs a good deep olive drab (like Reach’s Sage) as well as some slightly less saturated, less vibrant color options.

I like the grittier colour pallet of H1-Reach, but judging from the engine trailer I think they’re hiking all in on vibrant colours. I don’t really mind it, I would just rather have a grittier, calmer look.

I think it’s more the texture than the color in particular contributes to the grounded and gritty look of Halo: Reach. Similar, great colors are available in Halo 5, for example. They’re just applied to Spartan armor that looks like it’s been plasti-dipped from head to toe. Halo 4 had a similar problem with armor texture that made everything sort of look like soda cans, but I’ll agree that the color palet in 4 was lacking as well.

Reach’s texture aesthetic really made the armor look lived-in and functional, regardless of the color selected. Even the impractical colors like white, pink, and my personal favorite bright orange looked undeniably grounded. The armor looked somewhat matted (nowhere near Halo 5 levels), but scuffs and scratches were non-optional aspects of every armor set. Everything looked beat up and dependable, and it did wonders for my immersion given the themes in the campaign of Reach.

I don’t know if Infinite is chasing the same desperate and dire tone as Reach or if it’s going for that Halo 3 “One Final Effort,” frantic and triumphant type of mentality. It could plausible go for either, but I think that whichever one it goes with has to determine whether or not customization in it goes the route of the gritty, grounded Reach or the vibrant and shiny (in a good way) Halo 3 aesthetic.

Actually, if I understand correctly, Halo Reach’s color system was made around the entire style of the game. Halo Reach was arguably much darker and more ‘sympathetic’ in a sense (people can relate to the loss and overall situation a war can bring to your front door). Reach was the loss of a world that meant more to the Spartans and humanity as a whole than most other planets save for Earth. Reach was the birth place of Spartans, the saviors of humanity and it was burned to the ground like each planet before it. Reach had more death and a far more depressing vibe to it than the Halo’s before it. So it only made sense the color system for the Spartan 3’s was much darker and not nearly as ‘out there’.

> 2533274879757912;12:
> Actually, if I understand correctly, Halo Reach’s color system was made around the entire style of the game. Halo Reach was arguably much darker and more ‘sympathetic’ in a sense (people can relate to the loss and overall situation a war can bring to your front door). Reach was the loss of a world that meant more to the Spartans and humanity as a whole than most other planets save for Earth. Reach was the birth place of Spartans, the saviors of humanity and it was burned to the ground like each planet before it. Reach had more death and a far more depressing vibe to it than the Halo’s before it. So it only made sense the color system for the Spartan 3’s was much darker and not nearly as ‘out there’.

I agree the style and tone of the color among other things should match the game but the nice thing about Reach was it was late in the war and their armor with it’s well used look reflected the state of the UNSC at that point. However, I think you can pull off a “new” armor look and feel yet still give it a down to earth, practical feel. Meaning I think they can make the color more drab in feel than the bright and saturated look of Halo 5.

> 2533274895683392;3:
> > 2533274832784144;2:
> > It’s not just the colors, but the entire visual style of Reach. It’s obviously futuristic, but more grounded in reality than Halo 4 or 5. It’s a lot like looking at the original Star Wars trilogy vs the prequels. For me, Reach is the high point of Halo’s visual design.
>
> Agree 100%. I’ll admit I do like the Halo 5 movement style but the Art style of Reach was peak Halo.

Of corse Halo 5 Select Color is great!

> 2535406417205447;14:
> > 2533274895683392;3:
> > > 2533274832784144;2:
> > > It’s not just the colors, but the entire visual style of Reach. It’s obviously futuristic, but more grounded in reality than Halo 4 or 5. It’s a lot like looking at the original Star Wars trilogy vs the prequels. For me, Reach is the high point of Halo’s visual design.
> >
> > Agree 100%. I’ll admit I do like the Halo 5 movement style but the Art style of Reach was peak Halo.
>
> Of corse Halo 5 Select Color is great!

Halo 5 has nice color variety but most of them are too saturated and sporty for my tastes.

> 2533274881560701;15:
> > 2535406417205447;14:
> > > 2533274895683392;3:
> > > > 2533274832784144;2:
> > > > It’s not just the colors, but the entire visual style of Reach. It’s obviously futuristic, but more grounded in reality than Halo 4 or 5. It’s a lot like looking at the original Star Wars trilogy vs the prequels. For me, Reach is the high point of Halo’s visual design.
> > >
> > > Agree 100%. I’ll admit I do like the Halo 5 movement style but the Art style of Reach was peak Halo.
> >
> > Of corse Halo 5 Select Color is great!
>
> Halo 5 has nice color variety but most of them are too saturated and sporty for my tastes.

Different point of view but you are OP

> 2533274904158628;4:
> How would you feel about a wider range of colors, ranging from “cartoony” and vibrant, to drab and grounded, so everyone can be happy, including people who want to have a brighter Spartan and also people who want to have a grittier Spartan? Personally I don’t like the idea of forcing everyone to have drab colors just because some people want the whole game to look gritty. Reach was a nice-looking game but I wasn’t happy with the color selection, especially since it lacked a proper purple (the “violet” was far too blue). Same thing with weapon skins. You can have your grounded militaristic weapon skins while I enjoy using my Pop Cultures. After all, multiplayer is just a training simulation for Spartans, right?

Doom 2016 ? You had every colour you could imagine, then you had the ability make the iten look worn, shiney, dirty etc. That can be done with weapons and armour. I would have no issues if 343i simply put Doom 2016 customisation into Halo. It’s the best imo.

> 2533274895683392;1:
> I was excited to hear that Halo is going back to reach like customization but here is one aspect I hope they mimic from Reach as well - Armor Color. I have to say the armor colors in Halo 5 were very bright and vibrant which gave it a very cartoony feel. I’ve started playing Reach again and noticed the colors and very drab and flat and honestly they look a lot better. That coupled with the old art style it really works. Even the pink color feels grounded and a plausible use for a spartan. Anyway, my opinion what do you think?

Yea Halo 5 looked way too cartoony and plasticy so im happy to see the old colors coming back.