Sound Quality

This sound issue is also noticeable in the game Farcry 3, and is also present in our Halo 4.

During cut-scenes why does the sound quality get all ‘grainy?’ Or in other words… The music and sounds will sound like some really bad quality pirated movie. (Not that I ever pirated before…)

Is it a glitch? Or was the game’s cut-scenes designed to have poor quality/grainy sound?

This issue bugs me to this day…

Never had this problem in Halo 4. Or in any Halo game for that matter.

Only time I had any grainy/choppy/etc audio was in scenes like when Cortana was trying to pick up the Infinity’s transmissions early in the game - when it was supposed to be garbled and static-y.

But in SpartanOps cinematics and campaign cutscenes? Nope, crystal clear and fine.

Not sure what the problem could be then =/

CHRISPOCALYP5E you are not alone. I’ve experienced this and you have summed this up perfectly.

I’m not the only to complain about it either as both my cousin and brother experienced it also.

It really degrades the importance of the music and takes so much away from the cutscenes.

The balance of in-game music to sound effects (such as gunfire) also annoys me for the same reason, its such a shame as with slight tweaking the game could have been so much more.

Must be a bad disc/Xbox/sound system. I’ve never heard of this before.

All the audio is insanely compressed. They have to; that how it works.
If you pop on some decent studio headphones and give it a listen, you can tell.
If your audio outs are analog you may hear it a bit as well. Roughly speaking, 3 minutes of RAW WAV audio data will run over 100MB, once compressed however, it’ll be a 10th of that size. So, there will be quality loss. It’s a miracle it sounds as good as it does. When I started getting into audio engineering, it was impossible to compress something to the size of an MP3 without it sounding like a ringtone. Now, it’s hard to tell the difference unless you’re the guy who recorded it.
If you have an ear for it or the right kind of speakers / headphones, you can tell. Most people can’t.
It’s still one of the best sounding games. Run your audio optical, it might help. I use HDMI, but my TV has crappy speakers, so it sounds good to me.
If you hear subtle lapses in the audio quality while you’re playing, you have a good ear.

don’t you guys think that ghost vehicle sound is much to low??? i get overrun by ghosts so many times cause i simply cant hear them

> don’t you guys think that ghost vehicle sound is much to low??? i get overrun by ghosts so many times cause i simply cant hear them

Along with Halo 4 last Christmas (2012), I got a new TV. The TV came with the surround sound setting enabled as default, which I didn’t realize; I just use the TV speakers, I don’t have a surround sound set up. I figured it out like 2 months later, turned it off, and I was amazed by how much I was missing. There were sounds that were supposed to be sent off to directional speakers that I didn’t have. Dialog was clearer, there was just an overall better mix.
That’s probably not your issue–or could be IDK–but check your TV settings and XBox output.

I’ve experienced this too. Some cutscenes in campaign sound just awful, like a bad quality audio file.

It might be possible that the final sound FX/music mix for the cinematics in the game (this only happens in the big cutscenes) was encoded to come out on a 5.1 surround output. At least that’s how it sounds for me. I play on normal stereo speakers so maybe that’s the problem. My guess is maybe the sound in campaign cinematics is designed to come out on home theatre systems, wich not everybody own.

I don’t remember an option to choose the output in options. Maybe there is though, I’m really not sure at the moment.

> All the audio is insanely compressed. They have to; that how it works.
> If you pop on some decent studio headphones and give it a listen, you can tell.
> If your audio outs are analog you may hear it a bit as well. Roughly speaking, 3 minutes of RAW WAV audio data will run over 100MB, once compressed however, it’ll be a 10th of that size. So, there will be quality loss. It’s a miracle it sounds as good as it does. When I started getting into audio engineering, it was impossible to compress something to the size of an MP3 without it sounding like a ringtone. Now, it’s hard to tell the difference unless you’re the guy who recorded it.
> If you have an ear for it or the right kind of speakers / headphones, you can tell. Most people can’t.
> It’s still one of the best sounding games. Run your audio optical, it might help. I use HDMI, but my TV has crappy speakers, so it sounds good to me.
> If you hear subtle lapses in the audio quality while you’re playing, you have a good ear.

Well that’s interesting.