Sorry 343! But I don't like Sword Block removal.

I know sword block was not in Halo 3 and the such, but it should have stayed in reach! Why? because of sprint and evade. In Halo 3, those with the sword were at a slight disadvantage, but in Reach, you just see somebody and do an epic charge with sprint or just superman into them with evade and insta-kill.

That’s not really fair. now I know that the Sword is meant to feel like a ‘power weapon’ and stuff like that, but I honestly had no qualms combating sword block while using it. I was bunged out of maybe a couple dozen kills, compared with the hundreds, probably more that I earned with the thing!

Now, whenever I play FFA on Countdown, I have to stay away from like a massive part of the map (The lefts and holes near the outside balcony) because of sword-chargers. I felt I was in a lot more fair game with sword block.

The rest of the TU is A-okay, though! Keep up the good work!

Sprint and evade shouldn’t be in Reach either.

> Sprint and evade shouldn’t be in Reach either.

Then get to the sword first

> Now, whenever I play FFA on Countdown, I have to stay away from like a massive part of the map (The lefts and holes near the outside balcony) because of sword-chargers. I felt I was in a lot more fair game with sword block.

signed^^

greetings, Jakmer581.

Sword block actually balanced the Sword for once. the argument that ‘you can’t block a sword with your fist’ is moot on the ever repeated cause of ‘Gameplay>Realism’ It should come back in full force. It was an actual Skill and the people who dislike it are the ones who want easy kills with the sword.

Only alternatives i see now with Sword users is to 1, Use jetpack to go up out lunge reach, or 2, employ Armorlock to buy yourself 1 second.

Killing the lunge is probably the only way to truly balance the sword as is.

> Sword block actually balanced the Sword for once. the argument that ‘you can’t block a sword with your fist’ is moot on the ever repeated cause of ‘Gameplay>Realism’ It should come back in full force. It was an actual Skill and the people who dislike it are the ones who want easy kills with the sword.
>
> Only alternatives i see now with Sword users is to 1, Use jetpack to go up out lunge reach, or 2, employ Armorlock to buy yourself 1 second.
>
> Killing the lunge is probably the only way to truly balance the sword as is.

Or 3. play the game properly and secure the power weapons for you or your team.

I think i’ll stick to an emergency Vtol and watch them flail their sword in the air. I hardly ever find the Sword when i go to it’s spawn area, more often than not it’s pried out of some Sword guys cold dead fingers. Map control is hardly viable when you are rolling in a group of two in large playlists.

> > Sword block actually balanced the Sword for once. the argument that ‘you can’t block a sword with your fist’ is moot on the ever repeated cause of ‘Gameplay>Realism’ It should come back in full force. It was an actual Skill and the people who dislike it are the ones who want easy kills with the sword.
> >
> > Only alternatives i see now with Sword users is to 1, Use jetpack to go up out lunge reach, or 2, employ Armorlock to buy yourself 1 second.
> >
> > Killing the lunge is probably the only way to truly balance the sword as is.
>
> Or 3. play the game properly and secure the power weapons for you or your team.

but they game shouldn´t be decided after one team has the power weapons, right?^^
and with the “blocking” the sword isn´t a weak weapon…

> > > Sword block actually balanced the Sword for once. the argument that ‘you can’t block a sword with your fist’ is moot on the ever repeated cause of ‘Gameplay>Realism’ It should come back in full force. It was an actual Skill and the people who dislike it are the ones who want easy kills with the sword.
> > >
> > > Only alternatives i see now with Sword users is to 1, Use jetpack to go up out lunge reach, or 2, employ Armorlock to buy yourself 1 second.
> > >
> > > Killing the lunge is probably the only way to truly balance the sword as is.
> >
> > Or 3. play the game properly and secure the power weapons for you or your team.
>
> but they game shouldn´t be decided after one team has the power weapons, right?^^
> and with the “blocking” the sword isn´t a weak weapon…

No, that’s because power weapons eventually run out of ammo and re-spawn, allowing you to pick them up and make a come-back. If you keep letting the enemy team get the power weapons then yes you deserve to lose.

I don’t miss Sword Block, as if that person has any skill at all they will still kill you. However Sprint + Sword is OP. The sword is a “power weapon” and should be one hit kill, however in previous games you could “split” if the person was weak and you beat down the same time they lunged with sword. If they’re one shot in Reach and lunge and you melee, it does nothing. =(

> Sword block actually balanced the Sword for once. the argument that ‘you can’t block a sword with your fist’ is moot on the ever repeated cause of ‘Gameplay>Realism’ It should come back in full force. It was an actual Skill and the people who dislike it are the ones who want easy kills with the sword.
>
> Only alternatives i see now with Sword users is to 1, Use jetpack to go up out lunge reach, or 2, employ Armorlock to buy yourself 1 second.
>
> Killing the lunge is probably the only way to truly balance the sword as is.

This made me want to press my face against a sand belt.

The problem with Sword Block is that it was random, and laggy. I’m all for removing it. I just hate how melee + sword at the same time does no damage to the swordee.

> The problem with Sword Block is that it was random, and laggy. I’m all for removing it. I just hate how melee + sword at the same time does no damage to the swordee.

i know this feeling, play mlg;)

> The problem with Sword Block is that it was random, and laggy. I’m all for removing it. I just hate how melee + sword at the same time does no damage to the swordee.

Yeah, the problem it had was mainly Client or host side lag. Like the shotgun in Halo 3. It could have benefited from the implemention of the Sword block coding and it would have been more stable.

Most sword blocks turn out to be sheer luck in a panic. atleast that’s my take on it.

If sword block is laggy and unreliable in Reach, then why does it need to be removed?
If sword blocking doesn’t work, why remove it? Probably because it does work.
In VH:R, if you don’t sword block, you’re dead.
In TUH:R, if the enemy has a sword and you don’t have a weapon that can kill the before they get to you, meleeing won’t even touch their shields as they slice you down.

So if you’re dead in both cases, why does it need removal?

If it is predictable over LAN and doesn’t matter online, ala BR/DMR spread, why remove it in the first place?

The sword-block is a fail-safe the allows other weapons and AAs to be more attractive abroad. It makes it so that AL or JP aren’t as attractive as the other AAs. The shotgun isn’t purposely needed as a counter, nor any other power-weapon. It also deters players from camping with the weapon if they don’t have sprint/evade as they can be used to extend the range of the swords effectual use-range.

With blocking removed, the sword doesn’t even trade hits, it’s a clean kill on any amount of enemy health. Counter-meleeing is useless as you can’t even kill a shieldless enemy as the cut you down. So the need to apply thought before attacking an enemy is greatly reduced. One can easily see if they have a power-weapon out and so it’s only the uncertainty of the AA that may prevent a head-on attack. But since the EM-effect is reduced on an attacking enemy, and the damage bleeds through to the power-gauge, even the AAs are not so much a worry. Without evade or jp to counter the sprinting or evading sword, it’s not just a power-weapon, it is a nOOb-weapon.
And so sprinting and evading players are able to camp corners for farther effectual ranges. Without those mobility AAs to counter, camping a corner is very much a more attractive “stance.”

Personally it is the difference between a heavy and power-weapon. The sword allows for extended range insta-melee kills but it shouldn’t allow for those benefits to be near mindless.
No there isn’t a “true” block for the shotgun, but the need to keep the reticle centred on the enemy, while being within range is needed to gain that kill is its check. A shotgun shot can be dodged by attacking the shotgunner head-on and meleeing them. If they are aiming high on you then your melee causes your character to duck the shot. It is a similar counter to the sword, one that requires timing and experience (and sometimes a good connections.)
There is a check for the shotgun to prevent its completely nOObish use. As you get closer to the enemy, lowering your reticle is a smart thing. As I said, a meleeing Spartan can duck a shotgun (Elites can’t when they attack the Spartan with a shotgun).

These mechanics should not be removed because they’re not performed often. They’re removal seems to have come from player’s comments who are on the receiving end of an ability/skill they themselves cannot perform.

Replace Sword with Grenade Launcher on Countdown and it solves many problems and introduces a skill gap to the power weapon especially compared to the ease of use of the Sword. Given the tight corners of Countdown a Sword breaks it b/c its easy to get the jump on someone from around a corner while on the other hand the Grenade Launcher complements the map since it takes expertise to hit people around corners.

> In TUH:R, <mark>if the enemy has a sword and you don’t have a weapon that can kill the before they get to you, meleeing won’t even touch their shields as they slice you down</mark>.

This is the most frustrating part for me.

hey guys,
well i´ve already said what i think (i want the sword-block back^^) but i´m quite new so i want to ask how the “normal process” now is. will (in a time) someone from 343 post here and say something to that? (and say whether anything changes) you already are here for a while so i wanted to ask here^^.

thanks, jakmer:P

> hey guys,
> well i´ve already said what i think (i want the sword-block back^^) but i´m quite new so i want to ask how the “normal process” now is. will (in a time) someone from 343 post here and say something to that? (and say whether anything changes) you already are here for a while so i wanted to ask here^^.
>
> thanks, jakmer:P

Possible, though doubtful. They aren’t going to put Sword Block back in.